Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 25, 2016 10:59 PM

Oct 2011
I wonder if I have missed something, but it seems nobody remembers or minds the initial attack in Ginza. Especially the JSDF chain of command or Japan leaders. Then all the time princess Pina keeps wondering why THEY are attacking this world.

So, have I missed something up or is this an oversight? I am only at episode 7 in the first season so please no spoilers there after.
Mar 25, 2016 11:12 PM

Dec 2007
At no point is anyone wondering why the JSDF is there. And at no point does anyone forget the attacks. It's just that they become largely irrelevant to the situation very quickly.

For the Japanese leaders and the JSDF, the attack has little bearing beyond their initial excuse to occupy Alnus (and thus prevent further attacks). But once that's achieved, the JSDF and Japanese government must conduct themselves professionally knowing full well they overmatch their opponents by several orders of magnitude. The goal is to get access to resources without stirring up the pot by being brutal occupiers or conquerors, which would go over very, very poorly both domestically and internationally in our world.

For their part, the pro-peace faction of the Imperial leadership quickly learns that they've opened one heck of a can of worms, and are scrambling to avoid absolute destruction they know they'd inflict if they had been attacked by a vastly inferior foe. They never question why the JSDF is attacking, only why it's not using its overwhelming might to just wipe them off the map.

Really, the only places in the story for the original attack on Ginza to really make much of an impact later are among negotiations between Japan and the Empire, and in Japanese domestic politics, both of which are only slightly touched on so far.
Mar 25, 2016 11:43 PM

Oct 2011
In episode 7, princess Pina is asking why is an army like that attacking them, while they are traveling to Arnus. Like duh, your nation did a full scale attack. She's also overly concerned that that treaty violation they did will bring the JSDF on a full attack, even tho really, nothing is holding them back, at least from her point of view.

Basically to me it seems Japan and the military is being too "laid back" through the 5-7 episodes considering the empire from the other side of the gate marched through and slaughtered civilians

Me262Mar 25, 2016 11:53 PM
Mar 29, 2016 2:00 PM

Dec 2007
Me262 said:
In episode 7, princess Pina is asking why is an army like that attacking them, while they are traveling to Arnus. Like duh, your nation did a full scale attack. She's also overly concerned that that treaty violation they did will bring the JSDF on a full attack, even tho really, nothing is holding them back, at least from her point of view.

Basically to me it seems Japan and the military is being too "laid back" through the 5-7 episodes considering the empire from the other side of the gate marched through and slaughtered civilians

She's not asking about or wondering why the JSDF is attacking. Her subsequent statement makes that clear. It would be better translated as some variant of "why did we provoke them."

As for your second point. Wars of conquest are a no-no nowadays. The Japanese people are extremely unsupportive of their military, and would not accept such even with an attack on them, and even if it was within their economic interest. Third-world countries in the midst of civil wars can easily have higher support for the national military than Japan does. As such, the Japanese military, even with just domestic politics, can't get away with just conquering. Once the threat to Japan is gone, they have to operate in a less belligerent manner.
ErwinJAApr 6, 2016 5:55 AM
Mar 29, 2016 8:06 PM
Nov 2012
Me262 said:
I wonder if I have missed something, but it seems nobody remembers or minds the initial attack in Ginza.

Japan clearly hasn't forgotten. They don't send a small scouting force. They send an entire combined arms division, with tanks, artillery, and air.

Incidentally, we're told it's the "5th Division". The JSDF doesn't have a 5th Division. The Imperial Japanese Army did. It was based at Hiroshima Castle and did not survive the atomic bomb.
oldskoolpunkMar 29, 2016 8:11 PM
Apr 6, 2016 5:53 AM

Dec 2007
oldskoolpunk said:
Me262 said:
I wonder if I have missed something, but it seems nobody remembers or minds the initial attack in Ginza.

Japan clearly hasn't forgotten. They don't send a small scouting force. They send an entire combined arms division, with tanks, artillery, and air.

Incidentally, we're told it's the "5th Division". The JSDF doesn't have a 5th Division. The Imperial Japanese Army did. It was based at Hiroshima Castle and did not survive the atomic bomb.
Using a nonexistent division was intentional, and most likely what Japan would do in the first place. Each existing division already has an explicit role and area of responsibility. Moving one of those creates a gap that would take a lot of time and effort to fill. This is an especially bad thing when you consider how the issue of the benefits from the special region will go over with the rest of the world. A worst case scenario involves armed conflict after all.
Rather, they would more likely create a new division by peeling units off of other brigades and divisions here and there. That way, the new unit is formed with no gaps in existing defense roles. Just a slightly degraded capability in less important formations.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2015

207 by GooseHybrid »»
Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

186 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

291 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2015

283 by Myetx »»
Mar 30, 1:27 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2015

188 by Strahan »»
Mar 24, 6:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.