Forum Settings
Forums

The 2011 Tohoku 9.0 Earthquake and Tsunami ~ Five years later

New
Mar 11, 2016 4:54 PM

Mar 2012
I didn't see a topic about this, so I might as well post it. :)

On this day five years ago, Japan was terrorized by a magnitude 9.0 Earthquake that claimed the lives of over 15,000 people. It was one of the most devastating events in Japanese history, and to this day, Japan is still in the process of being restored to its former glory.

In my perspective, I was still a student in school (I was in the 11th grade at the time) when news of this first broke out. I, myself, was devastated due to the fact that I've always thought about going to Japan since I was younger.

I gave my prayers and thoughts to those that went through this ordeal five years ago, and to this day, I still pray for them and have them in my thoughts, since I hope to go to Japan in September to visit the country for two weeks and attend the Tokyo Game Show.

Post your thoughts here. :)
Mar 11, 2016 5:01 PM
Feb 2014
I may visit Tohoku later on in the year, but I do remember 3/11 well, very rainy day outside, when I first saw the news when I was eating breakfast before I went to school, I wondered if people would be OK, having lived in an earthquake myself in 2001 (6.8), I didn't know how bad a 9.0 one would be. It definitely has proven itself a very devastating day though, entire towns were wiped out if you remember. I've seen a few documentaries about how people coped with it years later, and they're really heartrending. I can show you one if you'd like, not sure where the link is.
Mar 11, 2016 5:34 PM

Aug 2013
Reminds me of this news

Not to trivialize the tragedy, but Japan is an advanced nation that is extremely well versed at recovering from anything geography throws at it. They could fully recover from some of deadliest earthquakes in history in just few years. And they're fully capable of doing just that on their own. If anything, it's excessive foreign interferences and messy foreign aids that gave their governments and disaster reliefs more headaches than the disaster itself.
Mar 11, 2016 5:36 PM

Jan 2015
Amiluhur said:
Reminds me of this news

Not to trivialize the tragedy, but Japan is an advanced nation that is extremely well versed at recovering from anything geography throws at it. They could fully recover from some of deadliest earthquakes in history in just few years. And they're fully capable of doing just that on their own. If anything, it's excessive foreign interferences and messy foreign aids that gave their governments and disaster reliefs more headaches than the disaster itself.
>japon is extremely well recovered

Nah they are just good at hiding their worsening debt. Look at how their yen devalued
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Mar 11, 2016 5:37 PM
Feb 2014
Remv_quevav said:
Amiluhur said:
Reminds me of this news

Nah they are just good at hiding their worsening debt. Look at how their yen devalued

Fukushima still remains in a state of slight danger from time to time. Daiichi isn't perfectly functional than it was pre-Earthquake. Radiation traces are reaching the sea, albeit not life-threatening as of now.
Mar 11, 2016 5:40 PM

Aug 2013
Remv_quevav said:

Their debt may be high as you said but c'mon, in terms of sheer resources, they have more than enough to deal with Fukushima
Mar 11, 2016 5:49 PM

Jan 2015
Amiluhur said:
Remv_quevav said:

Their debt may be high as you said but c'mon, in terms of sheer resources, they have more than enough to deal with Fukushima
thats why they have a hard time repairing Fukushima. Its bcoz of their infrastructure debt
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Mar 11, 2016 6:04 PM

Nov 2008
Abe isn't doing enough to help those displaced by the quake and tsunami and he hasn't got rid of the corporate tyranny known as TEPCO, it would have not been so bad if that company had a lot of government oversight.

Not to mention the thyroid cancer cases among children who live near Fukushima are popping up frequently.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - Today

17 by Noboru »»
9 minutes ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

17 by Noboru »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

44 by Rhaelynne »»
22 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

681 by blankflag »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

68 by -Jahra »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.