Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you feel if the antagonist re-entered a relationship with the protagonist?
Mar 5, 2016 6:31 PM

Mar 2015
Hello forum goers of the derelict "Creative Corner", I have a question about a story I'm writing and it's antagonist. I'm sorry it's very general.

The antagonist is the ex girlfriend of the protagonist. She is a girl which you hate because she is obsessed with the protagonist's money. However, at the end of the story she is revealed to be a misguided victim of circumstance, thus becoming a little more sympathetic, and *she still holds feelings for the protagonist

How would you feel if the antagonist re-entered a relationship with the protagonist in the end? And why?

EDIT: There is a second girl that loves the protagonist and seems to be the obvious(and should be) love interest of the protagonist to the audience, but she recognizes halfway that *his ex hold some feelings for each other and try to bring them together because she knows her time is running out(she is fatally ill). She dies at the end of the story and a year later the protagonist and his ex are together again.

This ending is still left open for change.
GaryMuffuginOakMar 5, 2016 10:42 PM
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Mar 5, 2016 6:46 PM

Sep 2014
I feel like a story like that should end in a tragedy not in happiness.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Mar 5, 2016 6:53 PM

Mar 2015
Menzo- said:

Oh I'm sorry I didn't mention this before but there is a second girl that loves the protagonist and seems to be the obvious(and should be) love interest of the protagonist, but she recognizes halfway that they still hold some feelings for each other and try to bring them together because she knows her time is running out(she is fatally ill). She dies at the end of the story, so the story is bittersweet.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

Mar 5, 2016 7:07 PM

Sep 2014
GaryMuffuginOak said:
Menzo- said:

Oh I'm sorry I didn't mention this before but there is a second girl that loves the protagonist and seems to be the obvious(and should be) love interest of the protagonist, but she recognizes halfway that they still hold some feelings for each other and try to bring them together because she knows her time is running out(she is fatally ill). She dies at the end of the story, so the story is bittersweet.
Does the protagonist at any point have interest in the girl before she dies?
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Mar 5, 2016 7:08 PM

Mar 2015
Menzo- said:
GaryMuffuginOak said:

Does the protagonist at any point have interest in the girl before she dies?

Yeah he does a little. However only years later in the epilogue is he shown to be back together with his ex girlfriend.

Mar 5, 2016 7:16 PM

Sep 2014
So he has an interest for both of the girls and has to decide. I feel like after she dies it should take him a while finally decide to be with the other girl.

One more question: Do the two girls know each other?
Mar 5, 2016 7:19 PM

Mar 2015
The second girl knows who his ex is and their history together. However the ex doesn't know anything about her.

Menzo- said:
I feel like after she dies it should take him a while finally decide to be with the other girl.

He doesn't immediately go back to her. It happens years later and only shown in the epilogue of the story, where they are both visiting the grave of the second girl, showing that the protagonist has not forgotten her. The ex still doesn't know anything about the second girl.

Thanks for the time taken to feedback!

Mar 5, 2016 7:24 PM

Sep 2014
GaryMuffuginOak said:
The second girl knows who his ex is and their history together. However the ex doesn't know anything about her.

Menzo- said:
I feel like after she dies it should take him a while finally decide to be with the other girl.

He doesn't immediately go back to her. It happens years later and only shown in the epilogue of the story, where they are both visiting the grave of the second girl, showing that the protagonist has not forgotten her. The ex still doesn't know anything about the second girl.

Thanks for the time taken to feedback!
No worries man, hope it turn out good.
Mar 7, 2016 9:21 AM

Mar 2012
GaryMuffuginOak said:
The protagonist and his ex recognize that they still hold some feelings for each other
There is a second girl that loves the protagonist
The second girl dies at the end of the story
That sounds like terrible cop out. You have a love trianlge that gets solved by just getting rid of the "unwanted" member in it.

Also, it's =/= its.
Mar 7, 2016 1:34 PM

Nov 2015
The key to writing a good story is to make the reader care about the characters. It's hard to read through a story not caring about what happens to the character until the end of it. Yes if it's written well there will be a reward for those who stuck along when you finally get to care but it might be too late by then.
Mar 8, 2016 2:45 AM

Mar 2015
yazio said:
That sounds like terrible cop out. You have a love trianlge that gets solved by just getting rid of the "unwanted" member in it.

I didn't explain this enough, sorry.

I establish the the second girl has an illness in the story, but it's towards the end. However, there is some foreshadowing to the girl's illness beforehand. Since the second girl knows her illness will kill her, she tries to bring the main protagonist(in love with her) and his ex girlfriend back together again. It's only in the final scene of the story, that takes place a year after her death, we see the protagonist and his ex back together, proving the second girl's efforts have worked.

Yeah, I don't think it's really a cop out and the love triangle doesn't get resolved immediately after either. Thanks for feedback.

Mar 8, 2016 7:11 AM

Mar 2012
GaryMuffuginOak said:
I didn't explain this enough, sorry.

I establish the the second girl has an illness in the story, but it's towards the end. However, there is some foreshadowing to the girl's illness beforehand. Since the second girl knows her illness will kill her, she tries to bring the main protagonist(in love with her) and his ex girlfriend back together again. It's only in the final scene of the story, that takes place a year after her death, we see the protagonist and his ex back together, proving the second girl's efforts have worked.

Yeah, I don't think it's really a cop out and the love triangle doesn't get resolved immediately after either. Thanks for feedback.
Actually, that makes it more of a cop out.

Foreshadowing or not, the illness of your character only makes an appearance until the end of the story and that makes it come across as if you didn't know how to solve the love triangle from the beginning and decided to take the easy way out. Moreover, unless you plan to write the year between the death of the second girl and the final scene, the only thing your readers will see is:

First scene: Girl dies
Next scene: Protagonist is dating another girl

Lots of things could have happened between those two events that could lead for the couple in the end to be formed, but none of them exist in the eyes of the reader.
Mar 8, 2016 3:22 PM

Mar 2015
yazio said:
Actually, that makes it more of a cop out.

Foreshadowing or not, the illness of your character only makes an appearance until the end of the story and that makes it come across as if you didn't know how to solve the love triangle from the beginning and decided to take the easy way out. Moreover, unless you plan to write the year between the death of the second girl and the final scene, the only thing your readers will see is:

First scene: Girl dies
Next scene: Protagonist is dating another girl

Lots of things could have happened between those two events that could lead for the couple in the end to be formed, but none of them exist in the eyes of the reader.

Ok I guess it's best if I establish the second girl's sickness at the beginning of the story like nearly every sad anime does. There's also a scene where the protagonist and his ex reconcile with each other(before the second girl dies) that hints at his ex beginning to love him again, but the protagonist's heart is focused on the second girl. They're on good terms by then. I doubt that would be enough to have an ending where they're together again though.

If you have any suggestions on improving the story that would be much needed.

Mar 10, 2016 7:16 AM

Mar 2012
GaryMuffuginOak said:
Ok I guess it's best if I establish the second girl's sickness at the beginning of the story like nearly every sad anime does. There's also a scene where the protagonist and his ex reconcile with each other(before the second girl dies) that hints at his ex beginning to love him again, but the protagonist's heart is focused on the second girl. They're on good terms by then. I doubt that would be enough to have an ending where they're together again though.

If you have any suggestions on improving the story that would be much needed.
For me, it'd be better if you make them a couple before she dies (even better if it happens before the MC finds out about her sickness), so that it all falls in place without that being in the way. However, what you just proposed also looks quite good.
Mar 11, 2016 3:06 AM

Jan 2014
I respect all endings, as long as they are well done, no matter if it is a good or bad ending. Surprising and unexpected endings are really a plus.

You should do what you feel like and do it how you like it.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

363 by nin-tendo »»
28 minutes ago

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - Apr 24

4 by Kinspie13 »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
Apr 24, 8:41 PM

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Apr 24, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.