Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 8, 2016 5:12 PM

Jan 2014
I'm already watched Tokyo Ghoul anime, the ending are really unsatisfied, that cliffhanger just when Kaneki hairs finally turns white.

I'm not reading the Manga but I heard many manga readers said that TG manga are much better.

So, should I watch this sequel or continue to the manga instead? And which chapter should I start to continue?
Feb 23, 2016 1:31 AM

May 2011
Read the manga, nobody should ever subject themselves to how awful Root A is.
It's probably best to read from chapter 1 of the manga, but at least there were only a small handful of differences between the manga and the first season, and two things I liked about the anime weren't in the manga (Mado's phrase "go after the enemy even if you lose an arm and a leg", and the introduction/foreshadowing of Jason since the beginning).
That being said, chapter 52 is when Jason and Ayato kidnap Kaneki from Anteiku, it's probably the best place to start. I can't remember if chapters 52 and 53 were much different in the anime, but chapter 54 is real beginning of the Aogiri arc which was vastly different in the anime, which removed the first half of the arc where Kaneki is imprisoned by Aogiri, and condensed most of the rest of arc (Kaneki's torture scenes, the entire CCG raid, and the aftermath).

tl;dr: Probably start at chapter 52, but start at chapter 54 at the latest. If you want to make sure you're not missing anything, just start at chapter 1.
Feb 23, 2016 1:32 AM

Sep 2014
Read the manga from the start.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Feb 23, 2016 1:36 AM

Sep 2015
Don't ever watch Route A. It's absolutely abysmal.
Definitely go with the manga.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 22, 2016 5:58 AM

Jan 2014
Already finished the manga (starting at chapter 47), damn that was great 9/10. I don't know if Route A is good or not, at least it's the right choice to read the manga.

But both anime and manga have really unsatisfied ending, I need to read Tokyo Ghoul:re
Mar 22, 2016 10:10 PM
Sep 2015
I originally watched Tokyo Ghoul and Tokyo Ghoul √A before reading the manga. So keeping that in mind...

The first season is pretty much spot-on. They flip a few arcs here and there, and the ending of it (about where you started in the manga) begins to differ, but they did a damned good job with it. Aside from the first half of the first episode, which I hated.

Having then started √A...It's not as good, no. Evidently it was intended to have an original story (which I didn't know at the time), but I can guarantee you that it didn't.

From a standalone point of view, it had far too many random plot points that didn't seem to go anywhere, some of which made me skim earlier episodes to check if I'd somehow missed information.

After reading the first season of the manga, I realised all those random plot references were actually discarded threads from the manga, or at least an attempt to introduce plot points from it.

Essentially, it led to a very confusing story. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it while watching - I enjoy most anything - but it was still very, very bewildering, and not at all the quality of the first season. And having read it now, too, I can't recommend it to anyone that's also read it, considering the drop in quality.

Just stick with :re, Hiatus. You're better off for it. :P Although make sure to either read Tokyo Ghoul: JACK or watch the OVA, as that's needed info for it, as well as Tokyo Ghoul: Pinto (the OVA, unless you begin to read the novel series as well).

EDIT: added Pinto mention.
12313weaq3Mar 22, 2016 10:17 PM
Jun 15, 2016 7:03 PM
Jun 2016
IF you are a fan of manga and can afford the time, then read the manga...But if u just want to end the series, watch the anime...Most of users here don't realize that it is neither possible or nor necessary to follow the manga to a tee...The Anime is a bit more dramatic and it has a better ending in my opinion as it was more emotional...That was what they were going for...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

760 by ShirJager »»
Apr 17, 5:39 PM

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

37 by Zimmu »»
Apr 3, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2015

256 by dustyblue »»
Feb 7, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2015

300 by RapidPhantom »»
Jan 23, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.