Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 25, 2018 4:24 PM

Jan 2015
leonanime123 said:

I thought Hula Girls's score isn't too high.
Besides, Japan has a huge problem of the lack of varitey of genres (mostly personal, family, and other "relatable" drama films. Which on their own aren't bad, but the filmmakers don't produce much outside of those types of films.) and creativity (The latter problem is even bigger than what Hollywood has been facing recently.).
i do agree hula girls was overrated. few thing i noticed its mellow, sentimental story about famous local (and important) resort with simple premise "zero to hero" "loser to winner" premise that local audiences seems to love (shall we dance, water boy, swing girl, just to name some) but fell short in execution in many ways. in other way its good to see aoi yu and mitsuyuki yasuko cute dancing and it's ironically made the name of lee sang il, which later of his fimography far excel
the later points also quiet hit the spot (oh well they do have variety of genres, but by generalization contemporary do pretty badly executed) but its problem share by many filmakers in this world. in japan, extremely it will be like filmakers vs production committee(the producers) + audiences taste . it's quiet obvious that the former(s) often will be just like this, by exaggerate iteration
(start at 8:05)

still i think there so much creativity while rehearsing the same trope/premises. in fact their love/obsession with family oriented theme often offered unique perspectives, and is one that made them distinguished from any form of cinema, in general.
kazoku wa tsurai yo just reversal homage of tokyo story, but with comedic twist. and its works

in the end it's just side of spectrum of their cinema, like other places where mainstream cinema tend to condensed and saturated into particular type of and the crowd, let's said, just tend to hype the wrong movie.
there times the great and good one came from little coverage whether local or international, sometimes just lack of buzz (tho' kinejun is still the right place to sort it out) . here good stuff(imo) from last year with ground reality check in contemporary issue but still relatively unknown or unheard
karambiaSep 25, 2018 5:05 PM

la critique de l'intention pure
Sep 25, 2018 6:11 PM
Sep 2018
Touka said:
leonanime123 said:

Besides, Japan has a huge problem of the lack of varitey of genres (mostly personal, family, and other "relatable" drama films. Which on their own aren't bad, but the filmmakers don't produce much outside of those types of films.) and creativity (The latter problem is even bigger than what Hollywood has been facing recently.).

Hula Girls has an audience score of 83%. To put that into perspective, that's in the same region as films like The Matrix, Kill Bill, Nightcrawler, and Toy Story 2.

I respectfully disagree. The drama is certainly Japan's most loved genre, but I don't think they lack variety in comparison to other countries. Action, adventure, period film, thriller, and comedy are all well represented in live-action, and science fiction and fantasy are covered extensively in animation (and Godzilla films). To say Japanese films lack in creativity, well... That's just a sweeping generalisation.

hotsushikun said:
I just feel like Japan's cinema producing such a bad quality means that Japan is still stuck in their 90s or 80s to me, which is why Japan's cinema quality has been diminishing in the last years.

What is this based on, precisely?

hotsushikun said:
In addition to that, Japan's cinema tends to ignore the diversity in the film, Tadanobu Asano is an half-Japanese but is regarded as Japanese person on himself.

Disagree massively. Read Aaron Gerow's "Recognizing 'Others' in a New Japanese Cinema." He explains how contemporary Japanese film has shifted its focus to explore beyond typical Japanese identity. Shunji Iwai's Swallowtail Butterfly did this over twenty years ago.

I'm talking about live-action movies.

Japan currently can hardly make live-action science-fiction, fantasy, crime-drama, action movies without turning them into anime. Miike did make 13 Assassins, but it's rare, and not to mention it's a remake.

Btw, Miike currently has a bad reputation for remaking films and adapting anime into terrible live-action films.

How many live-action actions, adventure, thriller films made in Japan can be put to the level of its Korean (Old Boy and Park Chan-wook's masterpieces) and Hong Kong/Chinese counterpart (Crouching Tiger, Infernal Affairs, Steven Chou's genre-breaking comedy, martial art movies), not to mention Hollywood level?

There is a reason, though not completely justified, Japanese animation appeals to more people than their live-action films.

Moreover, https://www.tokyoweekender.com/2016/12/hirokazu-koreeda-on-the-problem-with-japanese-cinema/

Japan has also the issue of lack of creativity. especially in the post-2010s...
Sep 25, 2018 6:38 PM
Sep 2018
karambia said:
leonanime123 said:

i do agree hula girls was overrated. few thing i noticed its mellow, sentimental story about famous local (and important) resort with simple premise "zero to hero" "loser to winner" premise that local audiences seems to love (shall we dance, water boy, swing girl, just to name some) but fell short in execution in many ways. in other way its good to see aoi yu and mitsuyuki yasuko cute dancing and it's ironically made the name of lee sang il, which later of his fimography far excel
the later points also quiet hit the spot (oh well they do have variety of genres, but by generalization contemporary do pretty badly executed) but its problem share by many filmakers in this world. in japan, extremely it will be like filmakers vs production committee(the producers) + audiences taste . it's quiet obvious that the former(s) often will be just like this, by exaggerate iteration
(start at 8:05)

still i think there so much creativity while rehearsing the same trope/premises. in fact their love/obsession with family oriented theme often offered unique perspectives, and is one that made them distinguished from any form of cinema, in general.
kazoku wa tsurai yo just reversal homage of tokyo story, but with comedic twist. and its works

in the end it's just side of spectrum of their cinema, like other places where mainstream cinema tend to condensed and saturated into particular type of and the crowd, let's said, just tend to hype the wrong movie.
there times the great and good one came from little coverage whether local or international, sometimes just lack of buzz (tho' kinejun is still the right place to sort it out) . here good stuff(imo) from last year with ground reality check in contemporary issue but still relatively unknown or unheard

I should've clarified on the "creativity" part.

I meant that the Japanese film industry adapts existing source materials, ranging from the typical manga, novel, real-life events far too routinely even compared to Hollywood.

Even Miike has fallen to that level, and his reputation in Asia, at least in China and Taiwan since I could only read articles and forums from their countries, has flopped in recent years, stating him as someone losing his talent and becoming the king of bad remakes (Terraformers...)

I believe that, honestly, Hollywood is still among the top dogs when it comes to creativity. Don't get me wrong, they are only the shadow compared to its past glory, and they have been consistently making terrible movies, but in the far side of the spectrum, they are still revolutionizing their existing formula.
In action movies, they expand the scale of their action sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BnOebsDtAQ&t=69s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKAHGwCyamc&t=1072s (Cooperating and combining efforts from other fields like their military to make actions new.)

In the comic book film genre, which people would superficially say "cliche", they successfully set up one of, if not the, first example of a huge shared-continuity franchise, MCU. The shared-continuity concept in cinema had always been believed as impossible to make due to the sheer size of the world-building, plot management (Coherency), and cast. Hell, their ability breaks the idea of "comic book films are for teenagers and nerds" by making a superhero film combined with a brilliant crime, psychological drama (Dark Knight) and a superhero movie with a deep personal tale with fantastic acting (Logan). Moreover, the fact that they can turn "comic book movie" from a genre that nobody in the early 2000s would think it work into not only box-office success but a valuable works of art is impressive.

In fantasy movies, Hollywood is able to bend the genre of "fantasy" and "war" together into Lord of the Rings.
leonanime123Sep 25, 2018 6:53 PM
Sep 25, 2018 7:05 PM

Jul 2008
leonanime123 said:
I'm talking about live-action movies.

Japan currently can hardly make live-action science-fiction, fantasy, crime-drama, action movies without turning them into anime. Miike did make 13 Assassins, but it's rare, and not to mention it's a remake.

Btw, Miike currently has a bad reputation for remaking films and adapting anime into terrible live-action films.

How many live-action actions, adventure, thriller films made in Japan can be put to the level of its Korean (Old Boy and Park Chan-wook's masterpieces) and Hong Kong/Chinese counterpart (Crouching Tiger, Infernal Affairs, Steven Chou's genre-breaking comedy, martial art movies), not to mention Hollywood level?

There is a reason, though not completely justified, Japanese animation appeals to more people than their live-action films.

Moreover, https://www.tokyoweekender.com/2016/12/hirokazu-koreeda-on-the-problem-with-japanese-cinema/

I disagree so strongly with your creativity comments. That's such a subjective assertion that there's almost no point debating it.

Science fiction and fantasy are barely present in any national cinema. You contrast Japanese cinema with Korean cinema, but South Korea do not produce much fantasy and sci-fi, either. Neither do Britain without American investment. Fantasy and science fiction are genres vastly dominated by Hollywood.

Miike's bad films do not inhibit the worth of his good work. Further, you say the Japanese can "hardly make" crime drama or action movies, but they're internationally known for their yakuza and samurai films.

Korean cinema is currently in somewhat of a renaissance. I love Korean cinema and I am not arguing that one is better than the other. That is the entire problem with this topic. It generalises an entire nation's output. Yes, there are exemplary Japanese films. Confessions, Cold Fish, Audition, Ichi the Killer, Battle Royale, Zatoichi, Love Exposure, Pulse, Blue Spring, Go, and Gen Sekiguchi's genre-bending, action-comedy-mystery Survive Style 5.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Sep 25, 2018 7:06 PM

Jan 2015
i'll just delve into this
leonanime123 said:

I'm talking about live-action movies
quiet vague , do you mean live action came from adaptation something ike that, or live action movie in general>following touka he just mentioned live action all along

Japan currently can hardly make live-action science-fiction, fantasy, crime-drama, action movies without turning them into anime.

my question is, since when those become standard that defining. these problem with audiences narrow perspectives and demand
people gotta accept (for now, and for most of parts) those bunch just not their forte, for many lot reasons/factors of their contemporary industry issues. their strong points place in another spectrum. it's like when Sci-fi fan saying overall [insert country] cinema is not good because they didnt find any good sci-fi flick in that country
also the mention of holywood level is vague. if you mean spectacle alike, standard coverages then it's not guaranted quality instead mostly just popcorn crowd pleaser. production level neither willl never be clear, sole definite criteria to judge things in cinema, especially as an art form.

Miike did make 13 Assassins, but it's rare, and not to mention it's a remake.
it's a remake
i didnt get this one. to always condemn it leisurely, what's wrong with remake tho'. lot of great things, classic from the past was also simply remake or some sort.

i agree with this. miike fell short as "populist" name that easily pick by foreign when mentioned their local cinema, well including me . in reality lot of his stuff either hit or miss -or just simply, abudantly passable. if only the guy know to slow down and picky with his projects.

i see this relative isue. but if you mean contemporary i can understand it.

koreeda wont be the one has problem with their local, tho' most of those way too conformist rather than speak out their contempt

im not sure. either you just watch wrong (choice) of movies, with the wrong pre establish mindset and expectation (more likely) or this whole matter just cliche "subjective" experience, perception
karambiaSep 25, 2018 7:15 PM

Sep 25, 2018 8:37 PM
Sep 2018
karambia said:
i'll just delve into this
leonanime123 said:

I'm talking about live-action movies
quiet vague , do you mean live action came from adaptation something ike that, or live action movie in general>following touka he just mentioned live action all along

Japan currently can hardly make live-action science-fiction, fantasy, crime-drama, action movies without turning them into anime.

my question is, since when those become standard that defining. these problem with audiences narrow perspectives and demand
people gotta accept (for now, and for most of parts) those bunch just not their forte, for many lot reasons/factors of their contemporary industry issues. their strong points place in another spectrum. it's like when Sci-fi fan saying overall [insert country] cinema is not good because they didnt find any good sci-fi flick in that country
also the mention of holywood level is vague. if you mean spectacle alike, standard coverages then it's not guaranted quality instead mostly just popcorn crowd pleaser. production level neither willl never be clear, sole definite criteria to judge things in cinema, especially as an art form.

Miike did make 13 Assassins, but it's rare, and not to mention it's a remake.
it's a remake
i didnt get this one. to always condemn it leisurely, what's wrong with remake tho'. lot of great things, classic from the past was also simply remake or some sort.

i agree with this. miike fell short as "populist" name that easily pick by foreign when mentioned their local cinema, well including me . in reality lot of his stuff either hit or miss -or just simply, abudantly passable. if only the guy know to slow down and picky with his projects.

i see this relative isue. but if you mean contemporary i can understand it.

koreeda wont be the one has problem with their local, tho' most of those way too conformist rather than speak out their contempt

im not sure. either you just watch wrong (choice) of movies, with the wrong pre establish mindset and expectation (more likely) or this whole matter just cliche "subjective" experience, perception

No, you misunderstood.
I meant Japan almost seems to limit themselves to much more narrowed types of films (Family-oriented drama being their primary.).

Never did I say about those films themselves were bad, however. My point was that they can hardly do much outside of family/personal drama (Although those films mostly possess high quality), comedies, which you agreed in an earlier post.
They can't make movies from genres outside of those above like both Hong Kong cinema and Korean cinema; both film industries have a more balanced take-on of various types of films, which itself, as I said, isn't entirely a bad thing, but it shows that Japanese film industry is limited.

However, I do apologize to bring Hollywood to this discussion. Although the point related to Hollywood is about how modern Japanese film industry (in the 1950s, it rivaled the then Hollywood.) rarely make crime drama, action, thriller, adventures that are close to Hollywood in terms of scale (the setting of the film and , additionally, the complexity of the plot [Not the complexity of the meaning behind the story.]) and cast, while Korean, Hong Kong (along with Chinese cinema), and Indonesia cinema have popped out works that rival the best Hollywood movies in the above regards, like Infernal Affairs, Old Boy and other Park Chan-wook's work, Train to Busan (a revolutionary work of the zombie genre.)... Though the problem itself isn't necessarily bad, it reflects on how far Japanese film industry can go.

As for the issue of remakes and creativity, my two points are: 1. (related to the point above) 2. Too many recent Japanese films are adaptations of manga, novel, real-life incidents (the apparent rising of manga adaptations and J-horror remakes...), and this itself isn't entirely a bad thing either (And also shared by Hollywood), but it also shows the edge in creativity.

However, I do want to address that my points aren't the reason why Japanese film industry is "inferior" as you have to judge things as they are, but I want to tell the traits I've seen in Japanese cinema that hinders them in competing with Cinema from other countries (Not that it's that important, though. Besides, they don't seem to care.).
leonanime123Sep 25, 2018 8:50 PM
Sep 25, 2018 11:06 PM

Jan 2015
@leonanime123

should've clarified on the "creativity" part.
I meant that the Japanese film industry adapts existing source materials, ranging from the typical manga, novel, real-life events far too routinely even compared to Hollywood.
As for the issue of remakes and creativity, my two points are: 1. (related to the point above) 2. Too many recent Japanese films are adaptations of manga, novel, real-life incidents (the apparent rising of manga adaptations and J-horror remakes...), and this itself isn't entirely a bad thing either (And also shared by Hollywood), but it also shows the edge in creativity. 

i see. This also i quote from somewhere i remember. so you mean by lack of more original material?

Filmakers (+writers) won't have easy pass to submit their original projects(or, less popular, lesser known source material) because big studio (for japan, the holy production committee) already been known in pragmatism in businesses*, which mean they'll pick projects that seems safe bet, either popular source material or just franchised of any previous hit. There this global tendency, here how modern capitalism work apparently. Unless someone can make name, established, like chris nolan or koreeda in Japan, or success to make some hit, whether commercially or artistically and put their names into the spotlight and producer consideration. Well even some top name still found himself has hard time with funding their project. essentially it was like problem anywhere, including US.

It's just point that japan consumerism has take it too far? I do agree. But again essentially not all of those "adaptation" lack of creativity-for whatever its mean-
It wont be, except mere generalize. Not to mention original=/= guarantee quality.
Sometimes it's just ask how selective the audiences. Somehow i found thing contradicting when we ppl seems demand newness/freshness but still ironically continuing consume formulaic stuff we tend to despise

*I remember read article with naomi kawase, and she mentioned lot of lesser, independent production houses shut down because, well businesses just weren't good at all.

Even Miike has fallen to that level, and his reputation in Asia, at least in China and Taiwan since I could only read articles and forums from their countries, has flopped in recent years, stating him as someone losing his talent and becoming the king of bad remakes (Terraformers...)
even to look his recent terrible, i dont think he lose it. there still his quirk, trademark mis e scene. Long past his prime? Probably. its just, along his years as filmaker, the way he extrovert-ly exercise his output that way just dried thing up. wont totally close any possibility if there new hit, tho' seems unlikely. his earlier more intriguing for delve into. Well yeah just my two cents regard him :/ the guy sure divide me

I believe that, honestly, Hollywood is still among the top dogs when it comes to creativity. Don't get me wrong, they are only the shadow compared to its past glory, and they have been consistently making terrible movies, but in the far side of the spectrum, they are still revolutionizing their existing formula.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKAHGwCyamc&t=1072s (Cooperating and combining efforts from other fields like their military to make actions new.)
like i said above. In the end Spectacles-based just one side of spectrum in cinema. I wont argue this where Hollywood is (still) the best in the world, even for other industries want to match up, and look for contemporary japan wont near excel- especially put budget wise in consideration

but that just kind of foolish and defeatist criteria imo. how its relevant for example, if someone want to scope his story for harsh living, touching human drama that set in rural village covered with snow circled by mountains. By no mean we can applied the same standard. The cinema in general shouldnt just define with one particular gimmick. But sadly it did happen

No, you misunderstood.
I meant Japan almost seems to limit themselves to much more narrowed types of films (Family-oriented drama being their primary.).
by the impression i can understand . Well personally i dont see them limiting themselves. There Lot of it outside human drama - family oriented theme, and actually had way more in local box office but obviously it didnt reach. In generalization japan has bellow par of others. I dont believe this lack of talents, or even resource, its just their industry need to take new direction if they want to improve that aspects of their.

Never did I say about those films themselves were bad, however. My point was that they can hardly do much outside of family/personal drama (Although those films mostly possess high quality), comedies, which you agreed in an earlier post. 
They can't make movies from genres outside of those above like both Hong Kong cinema and Korean cinema; both film industries have a more balanced take-on of various types of films, which itself, as I said, isn't entirely a bad thing, but it shows that Japanese film industry is limited. 
However, I do apologize to bring Hollywood to this discussion. Although the point related to Hollywood is about how modern Japanese film industry (in the 1950s, it rivaled the then Hollywood.) rarely make crime drama, action, thriller, adventures that are close to Hollywood in terms of scale (the setting of the film and , additionally, the complexity of the plot [Not the complexity of the meaning behind the story.]) and cast, while Korean, Hong Kong (along with Chinese cinema), and Indonesia cinema have popped out works that rival the best Hollywood movies in the above regards, like Infernal Affairs, Old Boy and other Park Chan-wook's work, Train to Busan (a revolutionary work of the zombie genre.)... Though the problem itself isn't necessarily bad, it reflects on how far Japanese film industry can go.
there isnt so much disagreement instead of probably idk, just some misunderstanding from me, apologise then

However, I do want to address that my points aren't the reason why Japanese film industry is "inferior" as you have to judge things as they are, but I want to tell the traits I've seen in Japanese cinema that hinders them in competing with Cinema from other countries (Not that it's that important, though. Besides, they don't seem to care.)
just like you said, they seem wont to be care, much. not taht important i agree.
its concepts stand "by them and for them only" which international appeal rarely put as consideration. Im not sure to say for they audiences kinda stupid, because those ppl seems to self aware but they just bite and eat it away. I think its more lot to talk in sociological, insecurity, consumerism, escapism. Probably combination of that idk,im not even sure with the terms i justvmentioned. In the end the demand for quality -in the aspects we talk about- obviously should ignite/start by themselves.
In other way, i thought thing applied for audiences anywhere
karambiaSep 25, 2018 11:21 PM

Sep 26, 2018 1:11 AM

Jan 2018
@karambia @leonanime123

From what can i tell, i did see some live action films getting an Asian films releases most of the time.

Here is the source:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-09-25/asianovela-channel-to-air-live-action-your-lie-in-april-film-in-philippines-on-sunday/.137275
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-09-25/perfect-world-film-video-reveals-november-opening-in-hong-kong/.137229

Also, there are some South Korean/Chinese films that we're adopted from the Japanese media, this include in case of Hong Kong version of Initial D, whose the film was shot mostly from Japan but uses the cast of Hong Kong actors. Another film that got adopted into an East Asian films is Illang: The Wolf Brigade, which is an Korean remake of an Japanese 1999 anime film.

There are lots of Korean/Chinese/Hong Kong/Taiwanese films that got adopted into to the live-action through the use of Japanese stuff.

I also blame on Gackt for saying that Cool Japan isn't good at all:
https://soranews24.com/2015/07/03/gackt-lashes-out-at-cool-japan-almost-no-results-of-japanese-culture-exported-overseas/

There are also some instances that these anime films are better than the live-action films just because the anime films have a better quality that then live-action films has.

And of course, Japan may lack an creativity, but there is an hope that Japan needs its own renovation though.

(sorry for my poor English)
Sep 26, 2018 2:11 AM
Sep 2018

It's interesting to see Japanese go all out in their anime as Americans do with their Hollywood movies.
At the same time, Americans just stay safe with their animation projects like Japanese do with their live-action films...

Things seem to always go in reverse when it comes to "East and West"...

Moreover, Japanese live-action films aren't selling too good even in the Asian market, and I can feel first hand because I'm Taiwanese myself. (I recall a mistake typing Taiwanese as "their"... don't know what happened, though...)

I would love to discuss acting in Japan, if you are interested.

Btw, how do I tag people without quoting them? This is my second day using this forum.
Sep 26, 2018 9:27 AM
Sep 2018
karambia said:
@leonanime123

should've clarified on the "creativity" part.

i see. This also i quote from somewhere i remember. so you mean by lack of more original material?

Filmakers (+writers) won't have easy pass to submit their original projects(or, less popular, lesser known source material) because big studio (for japan, the holy production committee) already been known in pragmatism in businesses*, which mean they'll pick projects that seems safe bet, either popular source material or just franchised of any previous hit. There this global tendency, here how modern capitalism work apparently. Unless someone can make name, established, like chris nolan or koreeda in Japan, or success to make some hit, whether commercially or artistically and put their names into the spotlight and producer consideration. Well even some top name still found himself has hard time with funding their project. essentially it was like problem anywhere, including US.

It's just point that japan consumerism has take it too far? I do agree. But again essentially not all of those "adaptation" lack of creativity-for whatever its mean-
It wont be, except mere generalize. Not to mention original=/= guarantee quality.
Sometimes it's just ask how selective the audiences. Somehow i found thing contradicting when we ppl seems demand newness/freshness but still ironically continuing consume formulaic stuff we tend to despise

*I remember read article with naomi kawase, and she mentioned lot of lesser, independent production houses shut down because, well businesses just weren't good at all.

even to look his recent terrible, i dont think he lose it. there still his quirk, trademark mis e scene. Long past his prime? Probably. its just, along his years as filmaker, the way he extrovert-ly exercise his output that way just dried thing up. wont totally close any possibility if there new hit, tho' seems unlikely. his earlier more intriguing for delve into. Well yeah just my two cents regard him :/ the guy sure divide me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKAHGwCyamc&t=1072s (Cooperating and combining efforts from other fields like their military to make actions new.)
like i said above. In the end Spectacles-based just one side of spectrum in cinema. I wont argue this where Hollywood is (still) the best in the world, even for other industries want to match up, and look for contemporary japan wont near excel- especially put budget wise in consideration

but that just kind of foolish and defeatist criteria imo. how its relevant for example, if someone want to scope his story for harsh living, touching human drama that set in rural village covered with snow circled by mountains. By no mean we can applied the same standard. The cinema in general shouldnt just define with one particular gimmick. But sadly it did happen

No, you misunderstood.
by the impression i can understand . Well personally i dont see them limiting themselves. There Lot of it outside human drama - family oriented theme, and actually had way more in local box office but obviously it didnt reach. In generalization japan has bellow par of others. I dont believe this lack of talents, or even resource, its just their industry need to take new direction if they want to improve that aspects of their.

there isnt so much disagreement instead of probably idk, just some misunderstanding from me, apologise then

However, I do want to address that my points aren't the reason why Japanese film industry is "inferior" as you have to judge things as they are, but I want to tell the traits I've seen in Japanese cinema that hinders them in competing with Cinema from other countries (Not that it's that important, though. Besides, they don't seem to care.)
just like you said, they seem wont to be care, much. not taht important i agree.
its concepts stand "by them and for them only" which international appeal rarely put as consideration. Im not sure to say for they audiences kinda stupid, because those ppl seems to self aware but they just bite and eat it away. I think its more lot to talk in sociological, insecurity, consumerism, escapism. Probably combination of that idk,im not even sure with the terms i justvmentioned. In the end the demand for quality -in the aspects we talk about- obviously should ignite/start by themselves.
In other way, i thought thing applied for audiences anywhere

Never have I said or suggested that originality can be completely translated into quality, but originality can be an aspect of quality.

Like, one of the best film in the history of cinema, Godfather, is an adaptation of an Italian novel. However, if a director can create a film or story that is just as good as Godfather without being dependent on existing source materials, wouldn't his efforts be even more impressive?

Don't get me wrong, it's impossible to create a story solely by one's own imagination; one must get inspiration from outside sources to form ideas (Otherwise, learning and personal experience have no meaning at all.). However, when adapting existing source materials, your construction process would more-or-less strictly follows the materials themselves, and while making an original screenplay, you need to organize the ideas that you've thought of or taken to form a coherent and complex story by yourself. I would say that takes even more courage and care.

This is a reason why many viewers criticize Hollywood for, and while I don't believe film adaptation itself is necessarily a bad thing (Godfather is an adaptation, Jurrasic Park is an adaptation...), I can relate to them on a certain level.
Sep 26, 2018 7:15 PM

Jan 2015
leonanime123 said:

It's interesting to see Japanese go all out in their anime as Americans do with their Hollywood movies.
At the same time, Americans just stay safe with their animation projects like Japanese do with their live-action films...
Things seem to always go in reverse when it comes to "East and West"...
not sure i get the term of all out, but japanimation sure already surpassed what hollywood animation can offer. ofc this biased statement but since they recent inclusion mostly dominated by that cliche CG animation for kid compareed to the east counterpart, guess i get it

Moreover, Japanese live-action films aren't selling too good even in the Asian market, and I can feel first hand because I'm Taiwanese myself. (I recall a mistake typing Taiwanese as "their"... don't know what happened, though...)
i see. is that so, well i'd heard (or probably just my impression) that taiwan probably still the best market for them since sound it more acceptance , no like china or korea where the market seems contradicting. to name of few in recently manbiki kazoku make quiet hit in mainland china. kazoku wa tsurai yo also made some as it led to chinese remake if im not mistaken. well ofc overall they were not that good i believe. im quiet curious how strong the former make in taiwan tbh

I would love to discuss acting in Japan, if you are interested.
im okay with, though not guarantee since no expertise or something

Btw, how do I tag people without quoting them? This is my second day using this forum.
put the username after "@"

Never have I said or suggested that originality can be completely translated into quality, but originality can be an aspect of quality.
i have seen people with that pattern of believe, like everywhere . just assuming and anticipating so that why i came to mention it early

Like, one of the best film in the history of cinema, Godfather, is an adaptation of an Italian novel. However, if a director can create a film or story that is just as good as Godfather without being dependent on existing source materials, wouldn't his efforts be even more impressive?
Don't get me wrong, it's impossible to create a story solely by one's own imagination; one must get inspiration from outside sources to form ideas (Otherwise, learning and personal experience have no meaning at all.).
However, when adapting existing source materials, your construction process would more-or-less strictly follows the materials themselves, and while making an original screenplay, you need to organize the ideas that you've thought of or taken to form a coherent and complex story by yourself. I would say that takes even more courage and care.
This is a reason why many viewers criticize Hollywood for, and while I don't believe film adaptation itself is necessarily a bad thing (Godfather is an adaptation, Jurrasic Park is an adaptation...), I can relate to them on a certain level.

some auteur can make things works differ from the original (kubrick's 2001, the sining), some can make thing but as "loosely based, inspired" (ex: bresson's l argent is inspired by tolsty novella),they can adapted one particular chapter/excerpt of the book example if that quiet enough from them. some just came from really short material, like short story(the latest sci fi Arrival for example). some can try , literallly, page by page adaption. lol, like cinema itself there is no rule book actually in how source material should be adapted.

all of this talk originality~adaptation~creativity just relative issue tbh, not to talk subjective, rational~irrational aspect. there is tendency to be [insert adjectives]??, but it's always depend, there should be context in how we judge and appreciated thing

probably just smalle glimpse but coherent example -talk japanese cinema
the point start at (0:45).

this view show the director vision, for what important points he want emphasize more from the material.
unfortunately if there ppl follow the movie with preconceived mind of "whodunit" typical crime mystery or police procedural then chance they miss for what its all about director intention
karambiaSep 26, 2018 7:43 PM

Sep 27, 2018 9:05 AM
Sep 2018
@karambia

"i have seen people with that pattern of believe, like everywhere . just assuming and anticipating so that why i came to mention it early"
Beliefs of originality being equal to quality or originality being an aspect of quality?

"im okay with, though not guarantee since no expertise or something"
I feel that Japanese actors have the tendency to overly rely on their facial expression, overacting in other words, even in those serious family drama films.

To put it this way, their film actors and TV actors (one of the worst group in Asian cinema, along with Chinese TV actors.) don't act like how Ken Watanabe and Hiroyuki Sanada's more realistic and grounded style.

Sep 27, 2018 9:13 AM

Jan 2018
@leonanime123

One more thing, i have seen quite few Japanese actors and actresses singing up for an hollywood, only Tadanobu Asano, Reiko Kikuchi, and Mana Ashida are the only known J-Actors/actress to appear in hollywood films, i haven't seen a lots of more Japanese actors/actresses like Ryosuke Yamada of Hey! Say! JUMP starring in the Hollywood films at all.

We are getting a lot of stars from Chinese/Hong Kongers and Korean these days.

I feel like Japan could have lead by commanding these J-Actors/Actresses to appear in more hollywood films to me.

Sep 27, 2018 10:35 AM
Sep 2018
hotsushikun said:
@leonanime123

One more thing, i have seen quite few Japanese actors and actresses singing up for an hollywood, only Tadanobu Asano, Reiko Kikuchi, and Mana Ashida are the only known J-Actors/actress to appear in hollywood films, i haven't seen a lots of more Japanese actors/actresses like Ryosuke Yamada of Hey! Say! JUMP starring in the Hollywood films at all.

I feel like Japan could have lead by commanding these J-Actors/Actresses to appear in more Hollywood films to me.

I've to say, based on my viewing experience of post-90s Asian films, Old Hong Kong actors (Tony Leung and Antony Wong > Ken Watanabe and Hiroyuki Sanada) > Old Chinese actors >= Korean actors > Current Hong Kong actors > Japanese actors (as a whole) = current Chinese actors in terms of acting skills.

However, this may not be true, but Japanese actors being bad at acting is not just the westerner's point of view but also Asians'. I've seen multiple Taiwanese and Chinese forums discussing how unnatural and cringy modern Japanese actors, especially TV actors, act and finding Korean actors doing better jobs, at least more naturally.

Even Japanese audiences have complained about their film industries value celebrities' social image and popularity over their acting skill.

However, if I am being honest, I won't want those "clowns" (actual bad Japanese actors who has plagued their TV drama for years to be precise.) to represent a faction of Asian cinema.
leonanime123Sep 27, 2018 10:44 AM
Sep 27, 2018 10:42 AM
Sep 2018
If anyone wants to experience one of the best performance from Asian films, I would recommend Infernal Affairs, Grand Master, Lust, Caution, movies where Anthony Wong is the main roles, every Tony Leung's roles.
Sep 27, 2018 10:44 AM

Jan 2018
leonanime123 said:
hotsushikun said:
@leonanime123

I feel like Japan could have lead by commanding these J-Actors/Actresses to appear in more Hollywood films to me.

I've to say, based on my viewing experience of post-90s Asian films, Old Hong Kong actors (Tony Leung and Antony Wong > Ken Watanabe and Hiroyuki Sanada) > Old Chinese actors >= Korean actors > Current Hong Kong actors > Japanese actors (as a whole) = current Chinese actors in terms of acting skills.

However, this may not be true, but Japanese actors being bad at acting is not just the westerner's point of view but also Asians'. I've seen multiple Taiwanese and Chinese forums discussing how unnatural and cringy modern Japanese actors, especially TV actors, act and finding Korean actors doing better jobs, at least more naturally.

Even Japanese audiences have complained about their film industries value celebrities' social image and popularity over their acting skill.

Japan may have an terrible educational system regarding acting which is why Japanese actors/actress do acting that are realtively terrible, Japan have some of the most inner looking type and the strangest value i've ever seen.

Sep 27, 2018 11:50 AM

Aug 2015
They can, just they need to think as the old times.

Sep 27, 2018 6:30 PM

Jan 2015
leonanime123 said:

Beliefs of originality being equal to quality or originality being an aspect of quality?
ofc it mean to the former, is that not that obvious. just said thing not happen in movie but other medium as well

I feel that Japanese actors have the tendency to overly rely on their facial expression, overacting in other words, even in those serious family drama films.
i guess these should be more understandable by ppl that lived geographically -and culturally- close , but guess i m wrong.
i had talked about these somehwere before. from what i can comprehend so far, japan just trap in their own galapagos, very often, including their acting culture. by generalization, their actng culture is like, continuation of the conservative class in the past. it's like -by exaggerated example- toshiro mifune's make leap into today . there ofc, modern western oriented class of acting ( realism, naturalism , or whatever, im not sure) paved the way but what i noted, the influences of old theather(or traditional stage play like noh and kabuki) is really strong and derivative. many of their actors from the past came from that background (theater trope background).
it is like, if we compared that shakespearean actors still legit even today only in japan it's defned them as a whole, by oversimplified parable. they will tend to be more melodramatic, with overfaciall expression, over gestures, over the top, over reaction, and by ppl that narrowly getting used by today standard of realism, over acting.....

is it diminished bad acting or it didnt exist in japan? not that what i mean. there should be exist bad shakesperean actors so thing just obvious. it's just if people want to criticized they should separated it by context. not every over [insert] is determined bad acting it could be the preferable styles, not that should be always made an excuses.

in recent years, hanzawa naoki i think is where the epitomes of these styles , worked at best:

but if you thought that is all about you can stomach , then ofc no. there this ground on realism-cliche obviously.
i'll not put koreeda as it will be overused example. how about more unheard, hiroshi ishikawa's

To put it this way, their film actors and TV actors (one of the worst group in Asian cinema, along with Chinese TV actors.) don't act like how Ken Watanabe and Hiroyuki Sanada's more realistic and grounded style.
i dont think there really one group better to another as how to defined it really vague just to based some performances where ppl tend to see it only by mainstream cinema/tv series. i'd seen quiet, fair share of pool of contemporary japanese actors(old and young, including underrated , unheard) for example and i cant think so like what you did.
karambiaSep 27, 2018 7:10 PM

Sep 28, 2018 11:50 PM
Sep 2018
@karambia
My last point meant that most Japanese actors follow the theatrical "Shakespearean-like" (very accurate term) acting, while there are also many who perform more normally.

This is a problem that the majority of Chinese and Taiwanese viewers have with modern Japanese movies and TV dramas.
Nov 2, 2018 10:19 AM
Sep 2018
karambia said:
leonanime123 said:

ofc it mean to the former, is that not that obvious. just said thing not happen in movie but other medium as well

i guess these should be more understandable by ppl that lived geographically -and culturally- close , but guess i m wrong.
i had talked about these somehwere before. from what i can comprehend so far, japan just trap in their own galapagos, very often, including their acting culture. by generalization, their actng culture is like, continuation of the conservative class in the past. it's like -by exaggerated example- toshiro mifune's make leap into today . there ofc, modern western oriented class of acting ( realism, naturalism , or whatever, im not sure) paved the way but what i noted, the influences of old theather(or traditional stage play like noh and kabuki) is really strong and derivative. many of their actors from the past came from that background (theater trope background).
it is like, if we compared that shakespearean actors still legit even today only in japan it's defned them as a whole, by oversimplified parable. they will tend to be more melodramatic, with overfaciall expression, over gestures, over the top, over reaction, and by ppl that narrowly getting used by today standard of realism, over acting.....

is it diminished bad acting or it didnt exist in japan? not that what i mean. there should be exist bad shakesperean actors so thing just obvious. it's just if people want to criticized they should separated it by context. not every over [insert] is determined bad acting it could be the preferable styles, not that should be always made an excuses.

in recent years, hanzawa naoki i think is where the epitomes of these styles , worked at best:

but if you thought that is all about you can stomach , then ofc no. there this ground on realism-cliche obviously.
i'll not put koreeda as it will be overused example. how about more unheard, hiroshi ishikawa's

i dont think there really one group better to another as how to defined it really vague just to based some performances where ppl tend to see it only by mainstream cinema/tv series. i'd seen quiet, fair share of pool of contemporary japanese actors(old and young, including underrated , unheard) for example and i cant think so like what you did.

So... it's been a month... How are you doing?
Nov 6, 2018 11:06 PM

Feb 2010
because legendary has the Godzilla live action rights currently.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 8, 2018 10:48 AM

Aug 2015
sorry but, when japan had good movies..? lol that's news to me

Nov 8, 2018 10:52 AM

Jan 2018
joohyunbae said:
sorry but, when japan had good movies..? lol that's news to me

Japan used to be somewhat good in movies a long time ago before South Korea and China entered the great ages of Asian cinema, they are also joined by India who are known for producing tons of movies.
Dec 26, 2018 9:29 AM

Jan 2010
I think it doesn't look good judging from the Variety article I just saw today: Japanese Film Industry Seeks Inspiration in Asia

And it doesn't look good, and I'll quote the article:

Mark Schilling of Variety said:
The official Japanese box office numbers for 2018 are not yet in –the Motion Picture Producers’ Association of Japan (Eiren) will announce them in late January – but preliminary figures don’t look great for the home team.

A total of 29 Japanese films made JPY1 billion ($9.0 million) or more. This compares with 38 that passed the same milestone in 2017.

Faced with the prospect of more decline at home, as Japan’s aging population continues to trend down, the Japanese film industry is increasingly looking abroad for everything from new markets to fresh inspirations.

Also it looks like Japan was on a remake binge (which kind of mirror what Hollywood did in early 2000's with Japanese and Asian films):

Mark Schilling of Variety also said:
In the latter category are Japanese remakes of foreign films. Examples include local versions of “Ghost” (1990), “Unforgiven” (1992) and “Sideways” (2004), but in recent years sources of material have been shifting from Hollywood to Asia, while production numbers have ticked upward. Among such Asian film remakes include: “Sunny: Our Hearts Beat Together,” Hitoshi One’s reworking of a 2011 Korean female buddy movie; “You Are the Apple of My Eye,” Yasuo Hasegawa’s remake of the 2011 Giddens Ko hit about teen romance in Taiwan; and “Memoirs of a Murderer,” Yu Irie’s 2017 detective thriller based on the 2012 Korean film “Confession of Murder.”

Also, though not a remake, “Ten Years Japan” was inspired by “Ten Years,“ a 2015 omnibus speculating about the state of Hong Kong in ten years’ time. Supervised by this year’s Cannes Palme d’Or winner Hirokazu Kore-eda, the film features segments by five young Japanese directors set in a near-future Japan.

Despite all this Asian ferment, the highest scoring Japanese remake is Yuichi Fukuda’s “50 First Kisses,” which earned $11.0 million. It is based on “50 First Dates,” a 2004 romantic comedy starring Adam Sandler.
Aug 19, 2020 8:19 AM

Jan 2010
Ever since Parasite won best picture at the Academy Awards (yes, making it the first foreign-language film, and the first Korean film to do that):

After that, there was an article from Vox that talked about how Japan's film industry faced a reckoning after Parasite won at the Academy Awards. Let me quote these selected passage from the article:

Eric Margolis of Vox said:
But a few hundred miles east, Parasite and director Bong Joon-ho’s victory forced Japanese filmmakers and critics to reconsider the state of Japanese cinema — an industry that has arguably been in decline since the mid-20th century, when directors like Akira Kurosawa and Yasujirō Ozu transformed global cinema forever.

Despite the groundbreaking success of anime, Japanese live-action movies haven’t gotten attention since as far back as Kurosawa,” wrote film journalist Tsukasa Shirakawa days after Parasite’s win. “It’s left us wondering why.

“Japanese cinema” (日本映画) was trending on Japanese Twitter right after the Oscars, with cinephiles and film directors alike airing grievances about a film industry that is deeply flawed despite ample talent and a global appetite for Japanese goods.

Korea has been making world-class movies for decades, but Japan either can’t or won’t do it,” one cinema enthusiast tweeted.

The thing that makes me upset is that if you go back 30 years, Japanese movies, just like Korean movies today—or even more so—were huge critical successes overseas and had an influence” on global cinema, added Satoru Murata, a DJ and photographer.

South Korea’s soft power is eclipsing Japan’s,” New York Times reporter Hiroko Tabuchi tweeted.

And this one I want to also quote, I pretty much predicted this back in 2014:

Eric Margolis also said:
Parasite won the International Feature Film Oscar and went on to take Best Picture; Japan’s hit anime film Weathering With You failed to make the International Feature Film shortlist. K-pop is a worldwide cultural phenomenon; J-pop has an international hit once or twice per decade. New York’s trendiest restaurants these days are Korean, not Japanese.

So yes, looks like filmmakers in Japan have now realized their industry is way behind. All it takes is a Korean film winning Best Pictures at the Academy Awards to be awaken.
Aug 19, 2020 12:28 PM

Oct 2010
@mdo7 This analysis will have more weight when a Korean film winning best picture at the Academy Awards is anything more than a very specific circumstance of a single hit. Korean cinema is not exactly at an absolute highest internationally.

This shit talk about Japanese filmmakers awaking when the industry stays pretty strong in content also needs to stop. The same dumb fearmongering whenever Chinese or Korean animation do any good. Competition is not a reason for setting up alarms.

Also very cool that you talk about Ozu, who took 30 years of steady career before he got any kind of international recognition.
jal90Aug 19, 2020 12:35 PM
Aug 19, 2020 12:52 PM

Jan 2010
jal90 said:
@mdo7 This analysis will have more weight when a Korean film winning best picture at the Academy Awards is anything more than a very specific circumstance of a single hit. Korean cinema is not exactly at an absolute highest internationally.

This shit talk about Japanese filmmakers awaking when the industry stays pretty strong in content also needs to stop.

Also very cool that you talk about Ozu, who took 30 years of steady career before he got any kind of international recognition.

I've already warned people on ANN and MAL since 2014 that Japanese film was lagging behind their South Korean counterpart. It's already well known that Japanese film couldn't hold candle to their South Korean counterpart, I've stated it in one of my post from 2016. Also what you said about this:

The same dumb fearmongering whenever Chinese or Korean animation do any good. Competition is not a reason for setting up alarms.

Actually, it does. Go read this locked MAL thread about anime industry suffering from Galapagos Syndrome. That's a good reason to panic about Chinese and Korean animation could one day surpass their Japanese counterpart.
Aug 19, 2020 1:01 PM

Oct 2010
mdo7 said:
jal90 said:

This shit talk about Japanese filmmakers awaking when the industry stays pretty strong in content also needs to stop.

I've already warned people on ANN and MAL since 2014 that Japanese film was lagging behind their South Korean counterpart. It's already well known that Japanese film couldn't hold candle to their South Korean counterpart, I've stated it in one of my post from 2016. Also what you said about this:

The same dumb fearmongering whenever Chinese or Korean animation do any good. Competition is not a reason for setting up alarms.

Actually, it does. Go read this locked MAL thread about anime industry suffering from Galapagos Syndrome. That's a good reason to panic about Chinese and Korean animation could one day surpass their Japanese counterpart.

You are talking about counterparts and lagging behind when the industry is still going fine.

Also, the anime industry keeps setting all time highs in sales every year and it has more and more international presence thanks to streaming platforms. Again, fearmongering and taking healthy competition with foreign industries to unhealthy levels, like any kind of anecdotal success of a country that isn't Japan can shake an otherwise perfectly functional industry. It only works like that for people with a fetish for making international competition a matter of supremacy or failure.

And just because you've been saying this shit since 2014 doesn't make this shit less abrasive, alarmist and anecdotal. You talking about how much Japanese cinema doesn't hold a candle to Korean cinema and its huge comeback represented by a single film when Kore-eda won the Palme d'Or award in Cannes two years ago. Shut up.
Aug 19, 2020 1:16 PM

Jan 2010
jal90 said:

And just because you've been saying this shit since 2014 doesn't make this shit less abrasive, alarmist and anecdotal. You talking about how much Japanese cinema doesn't hold a candle to Korean cinema and its huge comeback represented by a single film when Kore-eda won the Palme d'Or award in Cannes two years ago. Shut up.

Read this: Japan's Prime Minister ignored Cannes Palme D'Or-Winning Director

Hollywood Reporter said:
The absence of a congratulatory call or message for Cannes Palme d'Or-winner Hirokazu Kore-eda from Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has fueled speculation that the themes of social exclusion in Shoplifters (Manbiki Kazoku) have angered the conservative leader.

Japan's leaders are usually keen to tout international recognition of its citizens and today the government announced that Abe had decided two-time Olympic figure skating gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu would receive a prestigious People's Honor Award. The prime minister personally congratulated Hanyu after his victory at the PyeongChang Winter Games earlier this year.

Abe issued an official congratulation in October last year to Kazuo Ishiguro, the Japan-born British author, for his Nobel Prize in Literature triumph, despite the fact that Ishiguro grew up in the U.K., writes in English and speaks little Japanese.

What kind of a head of state snub Kore-eda's winning an award, when President Moon of South Korea congratulate Parasite for winning the Best Picture:

See, this tells me that Japan really don't care about their own film industry like their South Korean counterpart does.

It should really concern you.
mdo7Aug 19, 2020 1:27 PM
Aug 19, 2020 1:28 PM

Oct 2010
@mdo7 Is your specialty to come back with tangents every time your argument is challenged? God damn, the Japanese government being culturally biased assholes holds no candle in this discussion. Also completely uncalled for this commentary about Kazuo Ishiguro, like there's some sort of Japanese purity lost when he gets an award.

You are saying that Korean cinema has more international presence than Japanese cinema based on an article and an anecdotal case that has become the most internationally lauded Korean movie ever made. The thing is, like any other country that isn't the United States, most box office hits in Korea don't translate to international hits, and just like any other country it has bombastic exceptions from time to time. Most of the international success is held at festival circuits where Japan has similar success rates.
Aug 19, 2020 1:41 PM

Jan 2010
jal90 said:

You are saying that Korean cinema has more international presence than Japanese cinema based on an article and an anecdotal case that has become the most internationally lauded Korean movie ever made. The thing is, like any other country that isn't the United States, most box office hits in Korea don't translate to international hits, and just like any other country it has bombastic exceptions from time to time. Most of the international success is held at festival circuits where Japan has similar success rates.

It doesn't matter, when Parasite won Best Pictures at the Academy Awards, the fact a Korean film like Parasite became the first foreign-language film to win best pictures at the oscars, that send message to all foreign film everywhere. It's already getting a lot more attention around the world just for that, that's why Japan's film industry is reacting strongly to Parasite's win at the Oscars. It won't matter if Japanese films appear more on film festivals around the world, because of Parasite's big win at the Oscar, it's going to embolden Korean films outside of Asia (and you have to factor in K-pop's global popularity). It's going to be hard for Japanese films to gain the same status it once had long time ago.

Yes, it's significant that PM Abe didn't congratulate Hirokazu Kore-eda 2 years ago, because that tells me that how's bad Japan's leadership aren't taking their film industry seriously.
Aug 19, 2020 2:02 PM

Oct 2010
mdo7 said:
jal90 said:

It doesn't matter, when Parasite won Best Pictures at the Academy Awards, the fact a Korean film like Parasite became the first foreign-language film to win best pictures at the oscars, that send message to all foreign film everywhere. It's already getting a lot more attention around the world just for that, that's why Japan's film industry is reacting strongly to Parasite's win at the Oscars. It won't matter if Japanese films appear more on film festivals around the world, because of Parasite's big win at the Oscar, it's going to embolden Korean films outside of Asia (and you have to factor in K-pop's global popularity). It's going to be hard for Japanese films to gain the same status it once had long time ago.

Yes, it's significant that PM Abe didn't congratulate Hirokazu Kore-eda 2 years ago, because that tells me that how's bad Japan's leadership aren't taking their film industry seriously.

Abe's move sounds like an ideological one and not simply neglecting the industry. That's why I called the Japanese government a bunch of assholes basically.

Also yes, Korea has some mainstream presence but that doesn't mean that Japan doesn't and that doesn't mean that the Japanese industry is at threat. I know people there are constantly comparing themselves to the neighbor industries but that doesn't mean in any way or form that Japan is becoming non-existent in the world or that the industries are falling. And just because there is a competitive mindset doesn't mean that we have to buy blindly their alarmist discourse with a huge component of desire for cultural supremacy when international success can never be any other than anecdotal or niche specific for any country that doesn't have the presence of the US.
Aug 19, 2020 2:37 PM

Jan 2010
jal90 said:

Abe's move sounds like an ideological one and not simply neglecting the industry. That's why I called the Japanese government a bunch of assholes basically.

Well yes, but that doesn't mean PM Abe should snub or ignored that film winning at Cannes festival just because PM Abe wasn't happy with the film content, he should've congratulated Koreeda no matter what. Also Parasite had social commentary and was critical of Korean society, yet President Moon still congratulate and praised Bong Joon-Ho and the cast of Parasite for winning the Best Pictures at the Oscars. As I said, I compared the manner and demeanor of both PM Abe and President Moon on how they reacted to their country's film getting a major win at international awards. PM Abe snubbing Kore-eda just come off not only an ideological, but also disrespectful and I interpret it as "un-patriotic".

Jal90, you also said:
Also yes, Korea has some mainstream presence but that doesn't mean that Japan doesn't and that doesn't mean that the Japanese industry is at threat. I know people there are constantly comparing themselves to the neighbor industries but that doesn't mean in any way or form that Japan is becoming non-existent in the world or that the industries are falling. And just because there is a competitive mindset doesn't mean that we have to buy blindly their alarmist discourse with a huge component of desire for cultural supremacy when international success can never be any other than anecdotal or niche specific for any country that doesn't have the presence of the US.

That's not the point, the point is that Japan's soft power has greatly fallen for the last few years. I mean did you even bother reading the Vox article. A lot of Japanese filmmakers reacted very strongly about Parasite's Oscars win at the Academy Awards. It's already been known about Japanese films look "terrible" for the last few years. They've already been putting the blame on production committees (2nd source: Variety).

About the part I bolded and underlined, sadly, some people in Japan aren't happy that their Korean counterpart are getting more international fame. This former J-pop idol made this controversial statements about K-pop breaking into the US market:

Yes, that is a former Japanese idol not being happy that K-pop is getting more attention then their J-pop counterpart, he also criticized J-pop for not being able to compete with their K-pop counterpart.

So you might not care if Japan is falling behind, but there are people that are jealous and not happy that South Korea is getting more attention then Japan. There are J-pop fans that not only hate K-pop, but have become racist towards Korean.

This is why Japan's soft power and pop culture standing in the world falling behind is very concerning to me. If Japan's global pop culture standing power is falling behind and allow South Korea to gain more prestige with their pop culture. That doesn't make a lot of anime and J-pop fans outside of Asia happy. I don't want to see fans of Japanese film in the US and Europe becoming racist towards Korean because South Korea's pop culture gained more attention then Japan.
Aug 20, 2020 5:24 AM

Jan 2015
There different perspective.

Palme D'Or-winning director Kore-eda refuses invitation from Japan culture ministry

Kore-eda announced his refusal in a message posted to his website, saying that turning down the invitation is "the right thing." In the posting dated June 7, he also revealed that he had turned down similar requests from local authorities.

"Reflecting on the past where the film industry became united with 'national interest' and 'national policy,' I tend to think that keeping a clear distance from government authority is the right thing to do."

source:
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180608/p2a/00m/0et/019000c

Aug 20, 2020 8:24 AM

Jan 2010
karambia said:
There different perspective.

Palme D'Or-winning director Kore-eda refuses invitation from Japan culture ministry

Kore-eda announced his refusal in a message posted to his website, saying that turning down the invitation is "the right thing." In the posting dated June 7, he also revealed that he had turned down similar requests from local authorities.

"Reflecting on the past where the film industry became united with 'national interest' and 'national policy,' I tend to think that keeping a clear distance from government authority is the right thing to do."

source:
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180608/p2a/00m/0et/019000c

Not surprised, Kore-eda criticized Cool Japan. PM Abe snub or ignored Kore-eda's Palme D'Or win, so in return Kore-eda turns down an invitation from Japan's Minstry of Culture.

I was re-reading the Vox article and this got my attention:

Eric Margolis on Vox said:
In addition to the poor working conditions, public film funding in Japan implicitly discourages filmmakers from more daring political themes and messages in their work.

Grants from the Agency of Cultural Affairs are influenced by the content of the proposed film,” Ito said, “so filmmakers tend to regulate their expressions in ways that prevent them from drawing on political themes.

It’s uncommon to see social critiques like Parasite in Japanese theaters. And while Shoplifters may be an important exception with its spotlight on poverty, Japanese Prime Minister Abe Shinzo ignored its success, not even giving Kore-eda a congratulatory call — most likely because of the movie’s social themes.

Japanese director Tadao Satō recently noted that in the golden days of Japanese cinema, movies pulled in ample profits, funding the budgets of artistically ambitious films.

But today, young filmmakers are not happy with the kinds of movies produced,” Satō said. “Without a way of making profitable films, we haven’t reached the next stage, which would be to invest the profits to make high-quality artistic films that boost the prestige of studios.

So yeah, that's the film industry in Japan for you.
Aug 20, 2020 8:50 AM

Jan 2015
it has nothing to do with abe. koreeda makes it clear he wants to stay away from the politic narrative.

vox is too biased as left-leaning sources just want to connect the dot as to fit their agenda--just like what you did. it was Karen cesspool that shocking to see Asian countries like japan technically still a bunch of conformist and conservative-minded.

a nation operated differently, for south Korea parasite bring national pride amid their contradiction it was a critic for them society.
the director Bong Joon-ho in the past also has aimed the same kind of theme and he had his time on the student movement and progressive party. he always that political.

karambiaAug 20, 2020 8:53 AM

Aug 20, 2020 8:56 AM

Jan 2010
karambia said:
it has nothing to do with abe. koreeda makes it clear he wants to stay away from the politic narrative.

vox is too biased as left-leaning sources just want to connect the dot as to fit their agenda--just like what you did. it was Karen cesspool that shocking to see Asian countries like japan technically still a bunch of conformist and conservative-minded.

Now why would you say that? I mean sure Koreeda criticize Cool Japan, he also got snub by PM Abe, so refusing a invitation is a good retaliation.

And why does it matter if Vox is left-leaning for. I mean nobody else is going to do this report, and I've followed Vox for years and I have no problem or issues with their reporting.

Vox's article already backed up what I've been saying for years, and it has confirmed Variety's reports about Japan's film industry being behind their Korean counterpart.
Aug 20, 2020 9:08 AM

Jan 2015
there no obligation for a country leader either but if you want to perceive it that way, suit yourself.

there are reporting regarding the objective but then also their "journalistic" assumption, which is nothing different than a mere opinion. if vox just confirming your bias that everyone is always oppressed and should stand against something then suit yourself.

your claim is such an old, boring song. nobody ever denied that Korean leading film industry in Asia (quality-wise) and japan already long self criticized themselves
you always have an issue with japan vs Korea thing which like, it's just you.

karambiaAug 20, 2020 9:13 AM

Aug 20, 2020 9:48 AM

Jan 2010
karambia said:
there no obligation for a country leader either but if you want to perceive it that way, suit yourself.

PM Abe snubbing Kore-eda's win at Cannes comes off as "un-patriotic". I've never seen a head of state ignoring a Japanese film win an award at a prestigious film festival. To me, it's like the equivalent of a US president insulting a Hollywood film that was critical of US foreign policy of winning a Oscar. Let me put this in a better way: PM Abe snubbing Kore-eda's film at the Cannes is kinda like President Trump insulting Parasite for winning the Best Pictures at the Oscars. Yeah, I went there.

karambia, you also said:
there are reporting regarding the objective but then also their "journalistic" assumption, which is nothing different than a mere opinion. if vox just confirming your bias that everyone is always oppressed and should stand against something then suit yourself.

Vox's article has already backed up what I've noticed for years, and as I said, it already backed up what I've said back in 2016. The Vox article kinda backed up on my observation and the evidence being reported by Variety.

you always have an issue with japan vs Korea thing which like, it's just you.

The problem is there are people on anime forum including MAL that are not happy that Korean pop culture are overshadowing anime, and J-pop. So if people want to attack and insult K-pop and being racist towards Korean. Then people like me are going to start to be critical of Japanese creative industries.

People should be able to criticize Japanese industry for not being able to catch up to their Korean counterpart, but people shouldn't be insulting and/or attacking Korean pop culture just because K-pop, and webtoon "robbed" and overshadow anime and manga of their international fame.
Aug 20, 2020 10:18 AM

Jan 2015
it pointless to prolonged it more since clearly it all about to say "it's us vs the right-wing"

somewhere I believe; I'm might remember it wrong person and not koreeda: that as time went by, the government changed, but the problem of the marginalized always there, only people tend to not look or talk about it. koreeda aims for the society in general, the human issue; this far greater from some kind of shallow patriotic set-up, and that why this insulting-retaliation narrative fell flat as it is.

yeah, I don't think I can re-brainwashed you.

The problem is there are people on anime forum including MAL that are not happy that Korean pop culture is overshadowing anime, and J-pop.
there are some people that not happy. there also some people that also embraced Korean pop culture while still consuming japan pop culture. there also other people that either not care for one or both of them.

So if people want to attack and insult K-pop and being racist towards Korean. Then people like me are going to start to be critical of Japanese creative industries.
what logic of you people. both side. nah, again suit yourself.

People should be able to criticize the Japanese industry for not being able to catch up to their Korean counterpart, but people shouldn't be insulting and/or attacking Korean pop culture just because K-pop, and webtoon "robbed" and overshadow anime and manga of their international fame.
fair criticism is another thing though.
I can see this become a double standard where a criticism treats as an attack/insult. both sides.
karambiaAug 20, 2020 10:46 AM

Aug 20, 2020 10:43 AM

Jan 2010

You know what, I give up explaining to you trying to convince you that some (to be honest, I don't know how many) people could hate K-pop. What evidence do you need?
Aug 20, 2020 10:52 AM

Jan 2015
slow down and read my re-post clearly.
there are some people that not happy. there also some people that also embraced Korean pop culture while still consuming japan pop culture. there also other people that either not care for one or both of them

there always be any kind of haters and it not privilege to your kpop. but I don't think by putting superiority-inferiority( in disguised) as your argument would much count as rational itself.

Aug 21, 2020 3:38 PM

Jan 2010

I'm afraid it's more complicated then that. I'm not going to go off topic. I'm sending you a PM. Have a look.

EDIT: OK, looks like I can't send a PM to you. Is there a way you can make an exception.
mdo7Aug 21, 2020 3:50 PM
Aug 21, 2020 9:08 PM

Jan 2015
mdo7 said:

EDIT: OK, looks like I can't send a PM to you. Is there a way you can make an exception.
urm, well, ok. let's see

Aug 26, 2020 7:33 AM

Jan 2010
karambia said:
urm, well, ok. let's see

Karambia, I just got this news coming out today just now. Hirokazu Kore-eda's next film will not be Japanese, it's going to be Korean:

Hirokazu Kore-eda’s Next Film is a Korean Drama Starring Song Kang-ho, Bae Doona & Kang Dong-won

Other sources: Variety, Soompi

This is really unexpected. I didn't expect Kore-eda to do a Korean-language film.
Sep 9, 2020 4:21 AM

Jan 2015
mdo7 said:
karambia said:
urm, well, ok. let's see

Karambia, I just got this news coming out today just now. Hirokazu Kore-eda's next film will not be Japanese, it's going to be Korean:

Hirokazu Kore-eda’s Next Film is a Korean Drama Starring Song Kang-ho, Bae Doona & Kang Dong-won

Other sources: Variety, Soompi

This is really unexpected. I didn't expect Kore-eda to do a Korean-language film.
what makes you surprises? unless you didn't know much about kore-eda. i suggest you watch his movies or read his interview to at least know more about the guy.

Talking about the new project, this next film gonna be his second time working with Bae Donna (Air Doll; 2009). he made promises with her to work again in the future. He also already longing to work with song Kang-hoo.

This will be his second international venture. Last year he made the truth which was french; with Catherine Deneuve, Juliette Binoche, Ethan Hawke.

Sep 9, 2020 7:32 AM

Jan 2010
karambia said:
what makes you surprises? unless you didn't know much about kore-eda. i suggest you watch his movies or read his interview to at least know more about the guy.

Talking about the new project, this next film gonna be his second time working with Bae Donna (Air Doll; 2009). he made promises with her to work again in the future. He also already longing to work with song Kang-hoo.

This will be his second international venture. Last year he made the truth which was french; with Catherine Deneuve, Juliette Binoche, Ethan Hawke.

Actually, when I said I was surprised, I meant a Japanese director doing a Korean film. I believe Kore-eda doing a Korean-language film is the first time I've seen a foreign director let alone a Japanese one directing a Korean-language film.

Yes, I knew about Kore-eda directing a French film. But I was surprised for him to do a Korean-language film.

So that means it could open up the possibility of more Japanese directors doing Korean-language film like for example imagine Lee-Sang Il directing a Korean-language film. Yep that's a real possibility. I mean why not, we've seen Hollywood talents doing works for Mainland China (including directing films for Chinese film production) including some foreign directors.

So the possibilities of Japanese directors doing Korean films doesn't sound crazy. It wouldn't surprised me.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» This is one the most gay music vids i have seen^^

tsukareru - 5 minutes ago

0 by tsukareru »»
5 minutes ago

» BEST WEEZER SONG???

removed-user - Jan 29

5 by Eternal_Rest »»
2 hours ago

» What sort of songs do you listen to ? ( 1 2 )

scarydragon - Aug 1, 2023

52 by Eternal_Rest »»
2 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7586 by juanlqr »»
4 hours ago

» hardcore/skramz/emo/metalcore/post-hardcore/post-metal/blackened/crust

bloodecho - Feb 14

31 by Mattenan »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.