Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 21, 2015 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
So, something that has been bothering me lately are the amount of pointless casual lies that are told. For example, you're texting with someone. You want to go watch some anime without interuption. So you say "Hey so I need to go do *insert excuse here*, talk to ya later".
I don't think people are so fragile to the point of being offended when you want to take some personal time. But, maybe I'm wrong and un-knowingly making my friends think I'm a bitch. Who knows.

Please discuss why we feel a need to tell these "little white lies". Do we really think people are so fragile?
Dec 21, 2015 10:27 AM

Sep 2009
It frees their minds from thinking of pointless things. I can't say it's harmful unless it becomes too habitual.
Most people probably aren't that fragile, but small things can still build up and affect someones psyche. "Eh, I don't feel like hanging out with you today." You know it's nothing against you, but subconsciously, you might feel shunned or possibly even resentment.
Getting caught is awkward though.
MortalMelancholyDec 21, 2015 10:31 AM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 21, 2015 10:29 AM

Oct 2012
AudioDruid said:
So, something that has been bothering me lately are the amount of pointless casual lies that are told. For example, you're texting with someone. You want to go watch some anime without interuption. So you say "Hey so I need to go do *insert excuse here*, talk to ya later".
I don't think people are so fragile to the point of being offended when you want to take some personal time. But, maybe I'm wrong and un-knowingly making my friends think I'm a bitch. Who knows.

Please discuss why we feel a need to tell these "little white lies". Do we really think people are so fragile?

I have a friend that likes doing this.

"Oh sorry can't hang out with you guys today, got to spend time with family"

We have this LOLCHAT app on our phone that connects to the league of legends chat and we see him online playing league for 5 hours while we're out.

It's been an inside joke among our friend circles.

The best one is the " Sorry i'm really busy with my life, can't hang out with you"

Damn, just say you're too lazy, or you don't wanna hang out with them because you don't like them, lol.
Dec 21, 2015 10:31 AM
Jul 2018
Ball_is_Life said:

We have this LOLCHAT app on our phone that connects to the league of legends chat and we see him online playing league for 5 hours while we're out.

And if he were to say "Actually i sort of just feel like staying home tonight". Would that bother anyone in your friend group?
Dec 21, 2015 10:31 AM

Oct 2012
AudioDruid said:
Ball_is_Life said:

And if he were to say "Actually i sort of just feel like staying home tonight". Would that bother anyone in your friend group?

Nope. That's the thing, lol...
Dec 21, 2015 10:32 AM
Jul 2018
Ball_is_Life said:
AudioDruid said:

Nope. That's the thing, lol...

I just don't see why he feels the need to lie then. It bothers me more than it should probably
Dec 21, 2015 10:36 AM
Oct 2014
I tell little lies because if I say something like "no, I don't want to see you people today", then they will try to debate with me why I should change my mind. So it's just easier to say "no, I have things to do" or "I got no money". Then they will leave me alone without all the debating and manipulation.

However, people I know who can take a no for an answer, I won't tell lies.

Dec 21, 2015 10:37 AM

May 2014
Because we think too much from too little, because we're afraid of losing what we have and because honesty isn't always the best policy in life.
I've been here way too long...
Dec 21, 2015 10:40 AM

Jun 2015
Eh.
I don't really lie about most things.
Dec 21, 2015 10:43 AM

Aug 2013
lying is the greatest invention ever
i feel bad for people that suck at it, but please don't try and make other people feel guilty who are better liars than you, that's just not cool
Dec 21, 2015 10:44 AM

May 2013
I think it's best to be up front with people like i keep it 100 i will tell you what's going on.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Dec 21, 2015 10:51 AM

Apr 2013
I don't get this either.
People tell me all the time I'm too straight forward but I think it's best to say it how it is.
Dec 21, 2015 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
TheConquerer said:
Because we think too much from too little, because we're afraid of losing what we have and because honesty isn't always the best policy in life.

Agreed that honesty isn't always the best policy. But, in small day-to-day situations like these, I think it is really. It all just seems extremely pointless.
Maybe that all comes back to thinking too much of too little though.
Dec 21, 2015 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
Just to spare feelings in some cases, I believe. I do prefer people to be straightforward as much as possible with me.
Dec 21, 2015 12:38 PM
May 2015
lllllllll said:
I don't get this either.
People tell me all the time I'm too straight forward but I think it's best to say it how it is.
Dec 21, 2015 1:08 PM

Apr 2012
I think most people with a satisfactory EQ (emotional quotient) would respond like examples OP gave. People with less EQ would just use some other less suitable excuse and "offend" others more, I guess. Call it fragilility of human emotions, call it decorum, call it a smooth way of having conversation. It's really just a way that takes the minimum amount of energy to get what you want while not hurting others too much by your decision. When an individual grow up and adapt into the society, we decide to do these sorts of things.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 21, 2015 3:14 PM

Mar 2012
I feel what you're saying but unless it's generally misleading I don't mind. If my friend wants to spend the day alone and instead says he's busy, that's cool, but if he doesn't want to spend time with me at all and does it continuously that's irritating. I'd rather just be told that straight up. But in general, who cares about stuff like this? People say they'll be ready 20 minutes before they are, or say they're halfway to your house when they just left, etc, most of it doesn't matter. It's when it's a pattern or about something important that it bothers me.
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Dec 21, 2015 3:21 PM

Oct 2012
I try my hardest not to lie but when I do it's to avoid unnecessary drama. Sure some chicks are cool with you saying "ttyl I'm starting a new round in Battlefront" or "brb I need to finish this ecchi anime" but MOST of them are not. I know because I've had the "YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR HOBBIES THAN YOU DO ABOUT ME" argument like 10 times already.

More topics from this board

» Are you a pushover

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

6 by BitChilly »»
9 minutes ago

» How do you feel about your digital footprint becoming your digital tombstone?

Shizuna - 34 minutes ago

4 by enigmasauce »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Who were your childhood cartoon waifus? (Video Game Waifus included)

Kazu-chan-san - Dec 24, 2022

32 by Spunkert »»
21 minutes ago

» Is the word 'simp' fallen out of context in 2024?

Kiryotsu - Yesterday

26 by Spunkert »»
35 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts?

Freshell - May 5

38 by Freshell »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.