Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Apr 7, 2016 8:48 AM

May 2009
The following anime have actually had my favor (I still have lingering partiality for most) until the 'disappointment'.

Tsukihime - terrible terrible adaptation of the original script. I actually ended up really disliking and not enjoying this.

Angel Beats, (I actually cried in Episode 6, I am not really an emotional person) After episode 8 it just went downhill completely.

Erased. (I LOVED the premise, mainly episodes 1 - 4) Man, the first four episodes really made me rate this anime a 8 or 9 until it became such a huge disappointment. Enjoyment factor went down but still liked it.

Durarara sequels (Became a train wreck)

Fate Stay Night/UBW Season 2 - Oh boy, totally lacked substance and it became shallow adding some overly pretentious philosophy for me. I only watched it to see the ending and the pretty animation. The start was quite nice though.

Sayounara Zetsubou Sensei - (Well initially it was ok but felt my IQ drop a ton after watching the show. It was a very bad and disappointing one.)

Anoha - It was totally disappointing with over the top melodrama and meaningless crying after each episode. I tried to like it badly but it didn't work.

Digimon tri - I loved Digimon and binge watched the original series and its sequel last year before watching it. Gosh it was terribly disappointing, quirky and cheesy.

ef a tale of memories - pretty art, dialogues, etc. The premise was good until it confused the heck out of me (plus the over the top melodrama + annoying voice acting and character behavior were just plain stupid) I'm still ambivalent towards this, but the sequel was executed much better.

Overlord - I thought they were taking it somewhere else, boy was I wrong. Basically became a Kirito Skeleton with his harem.

Hyouka and Sakurako-san - Tried to really love and appreciate both (I actually preferred Sakurako over Hyouka but the execution of creating atmosphere and tension was disappointing. The characters were not enough to redeem its favor because some of them were very static - talking about you Chitanda Eru, and many characters of Sakurako.)

Five Centimeters per Second - It would have been much better if the second arc was executed in a better way. I was watching this with a smile initially. When it ended I had a frown on my face with a wtf happened expression on it.

Nagi no Asu Kara - I liked it until episode 10. Oh man, a lot of things felt forced and the atmosphere went downhill even though it was originally quite childish (ofc since they're 14 year olds, not saying they were bad characters) I really liked the setting though which was a shame because the subplot which was interesting wasn't EVEN EXPLORED. I am feeling ambivalent with the characters (yes they're annoying teenagers but who wasn't annoying when they were one?). Again with the over the top melodrama which still fared better compared to ef a tale of memories. I kind of enjoyed it but I stopped enjoying it (I've been stuck at episode 16 since)

Gurren Lagan - Totally became a drag especially with Simone having his identity crisis. I was quite blinded my unrealistic expectations and hype.

FMA Brotherhood - I can't express how disappointing this was (#2 on MAL?) really?! It's okay but not extravagant. Well at least it's better than Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, etc.

One Punch Man - I don't see why the majority thinks this is so great. I know it's meant to be funny and a parody of all sorts but that recurring theme of Saitama beating his enemies with a punch can get dull, plus the characters are flat, 1D, boring and not memorable.

SAO - I think many have explained this already.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka - Not a masterpiece. Drama done totally right though. I really liked it until the cheap and cheesy ending. I still enjoyed it though

Shingeki no Kyojin - Everything was excellent until the halfway mark. It went downhill really quickly.

Tokyo Ghoul - seemed promising, but we all know what happened.

Clannad After Story - THE ENDING.

Sorry if this became a rant. It means I really liked these anime but some were just god awful disappointing.
SadistApr 7, 2016 9:35 AM

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Oct 17, 2016 9:33 AM

Aug 2015
Tokyo Ghoul √A :C
Really the end disappointed me. I have not overcome it yet.

Oct 17, 2016 9:42 AM

Sep 2014
Not sure. Probably Maoyuu, Maou Yuusha.
It had some really cool atmosphere, felt like another Spice and Wolf, and could turn out awesome, but was ruined by the harem cancer, forcing a stupid and immature 'love triangle' like one you can find in them ecchi shows and MC was annoying af at times. Could have been really good, turned out mediocre.
Oct 17, 2016 9:45 AM

Oct 2016
Probably Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi, I was so hyped after first episodes and somewhere around 6th episode I dropped it.
Oct 17, 2016 10:22 AM

Apr 2015
Most disappointing?
At first, that might be a bit of a tossup. The Black Rock Shooter series had alot of comparisons drawn to Madoka, so I went in with high expectations. Yet in the end, it was just a mess of random characterization and a really forced plot. It's only saving grace was nice character designs, a decent OST, and danm amazing battle scenes.

But when I really think of it, FLCL was by far the most disappointing. After having completed the Evangelion franchise and Gunbuster, FLCL was the next big Gainax title on my list. I was left with a muddled mess of symbolism that had no purpose, a half-assed attempt at a 'plot' for a series that struggled to even work with a 'Theme of the episode' formula (It was more like 'theme' of the current minute), and a cast of either flat out bland, or hyper exaggerated, characters. But it did have some fancy animation techniques, and the English Voice Acting actually wasn't bad. But it easily didn't live up to the hype, and I firmly believe it's only highly recommended because it was part of the Toonami block that everyone waxes nostalgic for.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 17, 2016 10:24 AM

Jul 2015
re zero
that anime could easily be in my top 10
but the last 3 ep ruined everything .....
Oct 17, 2016 11:04 AM

Apr 2011
There is so, so much I could write for this, I honestly don't even know where to begin. But if I were to start from somewhere, let's start with the most grossly overrated movie in anime: Hotaru no Haka (i.e. Grave of the Fireflies). What exactly is so sad about this movie? Seriously, I've seen you guys cry over the stupidest shit, but this takes the cake. The brother character in this movie is, perhaps, the most selfish piece of shit ever and he kills his sister because of that and he is somehow "sympathetic". Give me a break.

To name another disappointment would be the Persona 3 movie series. Another set overrated movies that only gets love because it was adapted from a much beloved game. The movies accomplish nothing. There is zero character development, the pacing is on full throttle, important parts of the storyline are skipped for a fucking onsen scene. A-1 clearly gave zero shits about coherence and just wanted to grab a quick buck.
Oct 17, 2016 11:11 AM

Jul 2014
Orange.

It wasn't bad but I had high expectations since the manga had such a high rating, plus I'm more fond of shoujo than the average anime fan so the fact that even I ended up feeling underwhelmed says a lot :/ Too many small things that ruined a lot of my enjoyment of the show (plus that LOL DERP animation towards the end)
Oct 17, 2016 11:12 AM

Dec 2015
Maybe Seikon no Qwaser. Looked awesome but turned out to be something else.
Oct 17, 2016 3:20 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty sure I've replied before and likely the same answer, but Bleach takes #1 for this. It had SO MUCH going for it until Aizen happened. I thought the Vizards would save it, but nope.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

» Best anime from Disney+?

Spunkert - 6 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
4 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together?

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

21 by Absurdo_N »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite anime in this list?

AnimeLover1289 - Yesterday

38 by Phloup »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Attack on Titan or Jujutsu Kaisen?

AnimeLover1289 - 3 hours ago

11 by Phloup »»
11 minutes ago

» Does it ever annoy you how a lot of series just never seem to end?

purple_rayn - 11 hours ago

13 by Ratris_Decision »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.