Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2015 6:24 PM

Aug 2014
When Seki rescues Shimizu, he sees the UFO with the God of Poop that Shimizu had always seen. This time, Shimizu, Pegasus, along with some of the others in the cult are on the UFO as well.

Later on, we see Pegasus thanking the members of the cult which were on the UFO (including Shimizu) in what seems to be the afterlife.

During the elementary school reunion, Seki says that he has been helping his father with lunchbox store and that Shimizu is busy with work as he is now a nurse.

My theory regarding this is that Shimizu is actually dead and that Seki is imagining him being alive in the same way that Shimizu imagined his mother being alive. I think that Shimizu probably started seeing the God of Poop after his mother died. In the same way, Seki started seeing the God of Poop after Shimizu died.

Pegasus thanking Shimizu in the afterlife further reaffirmed his death to me, but what really made me sure about it was what Seki said during the elementary school reunion. As we all know, the lunchbox store that Seki's father owned went out of business long ago. While it is possible that Seki's father got it up and running again, I do not think that is the case. Even if it was, I doubt that Seki would return to his family and help out with the store. I think Seki is hallucinating that Shimizu is alive and that he is helping out with his father's lunchbox store.

But that's just my theory. What do you guys think?
sugarluckSep 6, 2015 12:56 AM
Oct 31, 2015 3:30 AM

Dec 2012
I think it's possible, and that's how I interpreted it. It could also be that Shimizu merely faced a "spiritual" death with his amnesia. His absence from the school reunion could represent how the boy they knew from back then did in fact "die" and was no longer around. He had to start from a clean slate ever since the incident, which consequentially forced Seki to move on as well. If somebody loses all their memories, are they really the same person anymore? Whatever way you look at it, Shimizu did "die".
Nov 11, 2015 10:55 AM
Nov 2015
I've seen some discussion of this. I think Banja got it right, with a clear cut, simple explanation of what happened. The insane, musical warrior Shimizu "died" when he got amnesia. The new Shimizu started over, even though there are certain degrees of amnesia. We don't really know how much or what he lost. I like to imagine that they remained friends, but Shimizu became a more independent, different person after his recovery. Why would Shimizu, who presumably wouldn't remember any of his childhood friends, want to attend a reunion with strangers?
Mar 1, 2016 7:37 AM

Jan 2008
-Vexiss- said:
I've seen some discussion of this. I think Banja got it right, with a clear cut, simple explanation of what happened. The insane, musical warrior Shimizu "died" when he got amnesia. The new Shimizu started over, even though there are certain degrees of amnesia. We don't really know how much or what he lost. I like to imagine that they remained friends, but Shimizu became a more independent, different person after his recovery. Why would Shimizu, who presumably wouldn't remember any of his childhood friends, want to attend a reunion with strangers?

Just to answer your last question for arguments sake. Wouldn't you want to go to try and see if you can regain some of your lost memories?

I would like to think that he lost part of himself in the fire, but I have a feeling he did actually die.
Jan 4, 2017 5:32 AM
Jun 2014
Here's another theory I came up with after reading it a second time (because my first impression was that Shimizu died too). In the earlier chapters, Seki was hitting Shimizu and being annoyed by him whenever he talks about the gods he sees. After they got out of the miso factory however, Seki agreed with Shimizu for the first time when he said that the God of poop was right, that the rain came down when he did something good. Having this in my head, I thought that maybe when Seki saw the God, the UFO and all the others after getting out of the fire, he's having those visions because he believes in Shimizu now and by believing what he said were true he sees the same thing (or maybe he was just hallucinating). As for why Seki sees Shimizu in the UFO, not all members of the ensemble were in there and the only 5 people there (Shimizu included) are the only ones Seki saw when he entered the building, except for the guy with a knife but he was still alive when Seki saw him. So probably those 5 people are the ones he only saw and thought are dead in that building...but again, this is just another theory. The rest about Shimizu's amnesia and Seki's job, I would like to think that those were true (cause OTP ;-; sorry I needed to), but the author might just as well have written it to convey the opposite.
Jun 21, 2017 12:56 AM
Jul 2016
they are really my OTP..... i think shimuzu is alive because the firepolice people did say two survivors. about amnesia, maybe he lost his memories and didnt come to the reunion ... but shimuzi and seki might still be in touch...
who knows in the future shimuzu slowly starts getting his memories back. i think shimuzu loved seki and seki unknowingly loved shimuzu as well so they end up living together
Jan 14, 2018 7:51 PM

May 2016
Aditi_hinge said:
they are really my OTP..... i think shimuzu is alive because the firepolice people did say two survivors. about amnesia, maybe he lost his memories and didnt come to the reunion ... but shimuzi and seki might still be in touch...
who knows in the future shimuzu slowly starts getting his memories back. i think shimuzu loved seki and seki unknowingly loved shimuzu as well so they end up living together

Hello can I just say that YES???
I've been thinking about the ending of those two for a long time now, especially because they're both my favorites from Oyasumi Punpun - and, of course, because they're my OTP.
From my perspective Shimizu was indeed alive, but was no longer the one Seki loved (even if not in a romantically or healthy way, we can't deny that the boy had very strong feelings towards Shimizu, and was very needy of him too). That aside, I think that both of them kinda live together now? Cohabitat? That would make sense since Shimizu's parents are dead and his sister's was getting married too (as far as I can remember), and Seki wouldn't let him go that easy. He sure wouldn't.
I don't know, that makes sense to me, like, that was no big deal or spiritual meaning behind it, just them growing together and closer now, as a second chance ??¿

More topics from this board

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 51 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

17 by dusty22 »»
Yesterday, 3:34 PM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

skapuppet - Oct 18, 2009

112 by dusty22 »»
Yesterday, 3:25 PM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 6 Discussion

-Kazu - May 30, 2010

26 by tcandy19 »»
Apr 23, 9:32 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 144 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2014

29 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 23, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 2 Discussion

RaisinMuffins - Feb 20, 2012

46 by tcandy19 »»
Apr 22, 12:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.