Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 10, 2015 1:57 PM

Jul 2012
Hi guys, I've been confused as to what order I should read SAO, is there only 2 Aincrad volumes? And then it goes directly into the fairy dance arc?
Aug 10, 2015 9:35 PM

Jul 2013
Well, speaking from my experience. I preferred to read the novels in the order they were published. I checked your list and saw that you've watched the anime, so I guess I won't be spoiling you. Here goes.

Volume 1 covers up until the end of the Aincrad arc. It starts with Kirito getting trapped in Aincrad, and then it cuts to him already being a high level player. It goes straight to him capturing the Ragout Rabbit and having Asuna cook it. It then proceeds until he defeats Kayaba on the 75th floor. This is where Volume 1 ends. There are some events from the Aincrad Arc in the anime that don't happen in Volume 1, but are actually side stories incorporated in later volumes. (See below)

Volume 2 is a collection of side stories that Kawahara wrote of Kirito's adventures before the end of Aincrad that weren't published in Volume 1. These side stories include:
-Silica's story
-Lilith's story
-Yui's story (when him and Asuna had their vacation in the cabin)
-Sachi's story.
All these are collected in Volume 2.

As you can tell from the anime, they put them in the "correct" order of when they happened. But it is not in order in the novels. But yes, they are only two Aincrad novels. There are two other Aincrad side stories in Volume 8 (another side story volume).

Volumes 3 picks up from where Volume 1 ended. Both Volumes 3 and 4 cover the ALO arc in order. Volumes 5 and 6 cover the GGO arc in order. Volume 7 covers the Mother's Rosario arc.

Volume 8 contains three more side stories. The Murder Case in the Area, where they first encounter Laughing Coffin. The second is the Caliber side story arc. The third story in this volume is what Kirito did during his first day trapped in Aincrad after he left Klein.

Since then, Volume 9 and onwards have all been part of the Alicization Arc.

Also, you won't find Aria in the Starless Night anywhere in the original light novels. It was something Kawahara wrote prior to the anime being aired to give Kirito and Asuna an "official" meeting. He has since incorporated it into Sword Art Online:Progressive. Which is another light novel series by Kawahara which will cover all of Kirito's adventures Aincrad floor by floor (which is canon).

So, if you want my suggestion. Just read the volumes in the order they were published. But, if you want to read the "true" order:

Volume 1 up until the end of Chapter 3.
Volume 8 side story "The First Day"
Volume 1 chapter 4
Volume 2 side story "Red Nosed Reindeer
Volume 2 side story "The Black Swordsman"
Volume 8 side story "The Murder Case in the Area"
Volume 2 side story "Warmth of the Heart"
Volume 1 chapters 5-16
Volume 2 side story "Morning Dew Girl"
Volume 1 Chapter 17 until the end of the volume.
Volumes 3-6 in order.
Volume 8 side story "Calibur"
Volume 7
And then Volume 9 onwards up until the current volume.

If you want to read Aria in the Starless night and other things that happened right after that. That is in this series

I'm sorry that this is so long. But I hope it helped. Enjoy reading! :)
Aug 11, 2015 11:40 AM

Jul 2012
Wow this helped a lot!
I'm saving this list haha, but I'll read them in the order the volumes were published, as you suggested :)

I was surprised there were only 2 Aincrad volumes, which is why I was confused haha
I just got the first progressive volume so I'll read it with the first volume of Aincrad!

Thank you! I can finally start the series <3

More topics from this board

» Stuff that made you lower your score/rating? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by RobertBobert »»
Feb 18, 10:26 AM

» Still feels rushed

Cneq - Nov 14, 2022

7 by Saynarra »»
Jan 19, 4:08 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Volume 4 Chapter 9 Discussion

Shadow_Strider - Dec 4, 2012

2 by eleonora_43 »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:23 AM

» Continue the LN after the last season

baltazak - Apr 5, 2023

2 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Oct 13, 2023 2:52 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Chapter 2 Discussion

Kiba_Senpai - Nov 27, 2022

0 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Nov 27, 2022 4:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.