Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 9, 2015 9:35 AM
Dec 2014
(Spoilers ahead obviously)

So, I was wondering if anyone else was catching the symbolism used in this anime?
E.g. the flower being blown away right after Sara is raped.

More interesting though, is Shu's stick in my opinion.
It is his weapon of choice and accompanies him throughout his journey. When offered a gun he makes clear that he wants to use the stick instead as he despises killing. Obviously, nobody else uses a similar weapon and more denoting it's something he brought from his own world. Also, remember in the end Shu beats up Hamdo, completely crushing the stick.

In my opinion the stick symbolizes Shu's humaneness. He brings it from his own world into another one plagued by terror and sorrow, where humaneness is unknown for the most part. Shu rather sticks to his principles than resort to killing even when facing his own demise. In the end, however, he changes as the cruelties he met clearly make a tremendous impact on him. Shu loses his humaneness (at least temporarily) as he tries to kill Hamdo, thus it's shattered to pieces.

What do you think? Did you catch other symbols (I'm sure there's much more)?
Aug 22, 2017 7:29 AM
Dec 2014
Just finished rewatching this series once again.

In the last episode when Helliwood gets flooded, the soldier saves the kid soldier who fell into the water and hands him over to Sara. So he literally gives her a child. Undoubtedly, this means that he is the father of her unborn child.
Aug 30, 2017 2:58 PM

Aug 2012
These are some really interesting takes. I like the last one especially. I mean he did seem to know who Sara was when he sees her in the village.
Nov 6, 2017 5:07 PM
Oct 2017
BlaizeV said:
These are some really interesting takes. I like the last one especially. I mean he did seem to know who Sara was when he sees her in the village.

Of course he does, he raped her.
Mar 2, 2019 8:19 AM
May 2016
just one of the things I love about the series, especially the part with the flower and Sara

More topics from this board

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

50 by Thorf »»
May 2, 7:46 AM

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What a great main character!

Dd5 - Sep 3, 2022

10 by Dd5 »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 2, 2008

185 by mal_user_2022 »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.