Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Let's make a List of every original idea One Piece added to the storytelling

New
Jul 21, 2015 4:05 AM

Mar 2012
This is a list compilation I wanted to make for adventure series, starting with One Piece.

Rules: Ideas have to be completely new, and not a duo/combo of two old ideas together.
If the idea passes, it will be added to the thread. And anyone can argue against the idea, if they can prove another series did it before, the idea will be removed.

I'll start:

1. The story of Norland the liar and his gold, and Skypiea. While it takes inspiration from old fairytales, it has a new creative twist on them. Especially where the land is blown UP instead of down, and here is where it ties to the Sky Island story and lore.

2. Pending posts...
End Zionazism
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 21, 2015 9:20 AM
Jun 2015
lol you really have way too much free time
Jul 21, 2015 10:25 AM

Sep 2013
Devil fruits, even thou their origin hasn't been told yet, they are original.
Jul 21, 2015 1:45 PM

Apr 2014
ichii_1 said:

From the bible, The forbidden fruit that adam and eve eat to gain knowledge about everything in this world, thanks to that they're cursed by the God.
Kind of the same mechanism with Devil Fruit.
Jul 21, 2015 4:30 PM

Mar 2012
tr1ckst3r said:
ichii_1 said:

From the bible, The forbidden fruit that adam and eve eat to gain knowledge about everything in this world, thanks to that they're cursed by the God.

Yeah I think he explains sufficiently why it's not new.
End Zionazism
Jul 21, 2015 9:14 PM
Oct 2013
tr1ckst3r said:

Actually it´s not at all, besides that both ate fruits.
Devil fruits are neither providing knowledge nor do they cause severe backlashes.

They have one drawback which is very minor, considering that the abilities still work inside the water, Haki can be used to overwrite the effect of water.
The most powerful among them can ignore any of the drawbacks anyway.

All Logia can float in some way and Aokiji is even capable of freezing water in x-km vincinity.

Furthermore they are only dubbed Devil fuits because it sounds better. They could be dubbed demon fruits as well. Akuma´s have nothing to do with the christian devil.

Yes, Devil fruits are unique, however they make no sense. Soap or Rubber are manmade therefore natural existing fruits with giving people their traits make sense only in two scenarios. Devil fruits are manmade, which I do think will be revealed.

Or rubber ropes, strings, soap and steel are naturally formed in the One Piece world, which wouldn´t surprise meeither.
Jul 22, 2015 11:40 AM

Apr 2014
Adam and Eve banished from Eden the instance they eat that fruit it and grant 'em something that forbidden, in that case the knowledge of everything.

All Devil Fruit's user is granted a supernatural power but thanks to that, They're banished from the sea.

Devil Fruit nature itself is still unknown until now.
You said a rubber is a manmade? yes that's true but can you actually think that Luffy is a rubber man? can you actually say that Luffy is made of those manmade rubber?
Since as far as I know, rubber can't destroy a fucking stone.
As far as I know, those Devil Fruit names exist just for the sake of naming based on how it looks like, the name itself, doesn't represent the power of the said DF.
Just like Luffy is called a rubber man but you can put it in another word that Luffy didn't become a rubber man but rather he gained the ability to "Stretch".
tr1ckst3rJul 22, 2015 2:19 PM
Jul 25, 2015 11:17 PM

Jul 2013
Mikasa said:
tr1ckst3r said:

the forbidden fruit and the devil fruit have more differences than an island being blown up instead of down...
Jul 26, 2015 7:53 AM

Oct 2013
Jul 29, 2015 3:19 AM

Mar 2012
Simar said:
Mikasa said:

the forbidden fruit and the devil fruit have more differences than an island being blown up instead of down...

You make a compelling argument.
End Zionazism
Jul 30, 2015 8:29 AM

Jul 2015
Never seen a character whose hobby is suicide...

I swear every Chapter adds something unique to storytelling and literature in general! :)
Jul 30, 2015 8:39 AM

Jun 2014
stop these damn threads bruh
Jul 31, 2015 12:03 AM

Mar 2012
M0nkeyD_Luffy said:
Never seen a character whose hobby is suicide...

I swear every Chapter adds something unique to storytelling and literature in general! :)

Needs proof/argument
End Zionazism
Jul 31, 2015 8:30 AM
Jun 2015
Jerkhov said:
stop these damn threads bruh

This

C'mon Mikasa you are getting more and more pathetic
Jul 31, 2015 9:59 AM

Apr 2011
You guys realize this is a thread to prove that One Piece DOESN'T have any originality right?

Cause anyone who proposes "original" ideas will get shot down cause Mikasa is so creative and inventive with his criticisms.

We all know that One Piece is great because of its originality, creativity, and morphing of older ideas. Oda adds life and youth to old tails which is great in its own way. Usopp's situation was based off Pinnochio and The Boy Who Cried Wolf. That doesn't make his combination any less creative. Integration, though inclusive of older ideas, is still a great skill on its own.

Not to say that there isn't any originality in One Piece.

Devil Fruits may be SIMILAR to the fruits in the Garden of Eden, but they are NOT identical. Devil Fruits provide each person a different ability based off what fruit they eat. The fruit in the Garden of Eden provides sentience/awareness/insecurity.

What else is original/creative? The character designs. Even if a character is based off real life people or other creations, the twist Oda applies is creative. Thriller Bark was based off the Nightmare Before Christmas but the two are VERY different. Incorporating a man who can steal shadows that take away your ability to sit in the sun, a scientist who makes zombies, reviving corpses with this combination, a person who can make other people negative b/c of her ghostly ability, and having character's personalities implanted in animal/monster corpses. The mix of all these ideas which are subtly different from any other version make a whole different and unique experience.
Jul 31, 2015 10:56 AM

Mar 2012
I just added two ideas. But I won't deny I AM of the opimion that OP has little to offer (nothing recently) in that regard.

That said, everyone is welcome to contribute. Just name something new.
Also, like I said in the HxH version (where many suggestions were denied) that only new concepts count. Not something you think is unique (e.g character design) because that's highly subjective for anyone to prove/rebuke.
End Zionazism
Aug 1, 2015 8:16 PM
Jun 2015
DarkAngelz said:
You guys realize this is a thread to prove that One Piece DOESN'T have any originality right?

Cause anyone who proposes "original" ideas will get shot down cause Mikasa is so creative and inventive with his criticisms.

We all know that One Piece is great because of its originality, creativity, and morphing of older ideas. Oda adds life and youth to old tails which is great in its own way. Usopp's situation was based off Pinnochio and The Boy Who Cried Wolf. That doesn't make his combination any less creative. Integration, though inclusive of older ideas, is still a great skill on its own.

Not to say that there isn't any originality in One Piece.

Devil Fruits may be SIMILAR to the fruits in the Garden of Eden, but they are NOT identical. Devil Fruits provide each person a different ability based off what fruit they eat. The fruit in the Garden of Eden provides sentience/awareness/insecurity.

What else is original/creative? The character designs. Even if a character is based off real life people or other creations, the twist Oda applies is creative. Thriller Bark was based off the Nightmare Before Christmas but the two are VERY different. Incorporating a man who can steal shadows that take away your ability to sit in the sun, a scientist who makes zombies, reviving corpses with this combination, a person who can make other people negative b/c of her ghostly ability, and having character's personalities implanted in animal/monster corpses. The mix of all these ideas which are subtly different from any other version make a whole different and unique experience.

/thread

Mikasa basically said that the original character designs don't count...because
This is just another of his threads to bash OP lol
Aug 2, 2015 7:24 AM

Jun 2008
Locked.

Simple listing thread x2.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Finally the one piece ended

Katis-Yeager - Yesterday

29 by Karma-Kun96 »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 371 Discussion

VK11 - Sep 21, 2008

42 by bakakisima »»
56 minutes ago

» The Essential Guide to watching One Piece

Nito-San - Nov 12, 2012

41 by Sch4n »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1102 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Apr 27

45 by Mahendra496 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 365 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Darkreaper70 - Aug 12, 2008

52 by shadow-Kirito »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.