Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 2, 2015 6:30 AM

Mar 2015

Synopsis:
Guilt-stricken after a job gone wrong, hitman Ray and his partner await orders from their ruthless boss in Bruges, Belgium, the last place in the world Ray wants to be.

IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes

[b]In Bruges is currently streaming on Netflix

All club members are encouraged to watch and discuss at least one of the current spotlight films.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 3, 2015 8:38 AM

Sep 2012
I really like the comedy in this movie, particularly because it has so many different kinds of it. The dialogue-based comedy is really funny, the slapstick comedy is really funny, and the physical comedy that just uses space rather than violence is really funny.

I also like that because the comedy is pretty much pitch-black it transitions well into the sadder and more suspenseful parts. It's so irreverent and filled with offensive comments from the characters that, as funny as it is, you can tell it's coming from people who have something seriously wrong with them.

It's also a great contrast to the city of Bruges, which they explain has a lot of religious history, and it's part of what makes all the parts that take place in the city seem off-kilter and surreal. The two main characters are in a sort of purgatory, but it's one they make for themselves because the ethics they've tried to subscribe to before are way too simple to provide them with the emotional closure they're looking for to deal with their guilt. The movie has an idea of what redemption is, but it never fully says it because it's more focused on portraying the uncertainty and lack of balance in someone's life when they want redemption.
Jun 3, 2015 10:15 AM

Mar 2015
In Bruges is probably my favorite black comedy. Especially because
Popka said:
it has so many different kinds of it.

Almost every scene was gold except for one or two (which I'm sure most people don't care about). That scene being Colin Farrell's crying. One of my biggest pet peeves is a shitty crying scene. I can't stand that movies (mostly Hollywood, and Korean but that's completely different) with multi-million dollar budgets, can't get one fucking actor that can actually cry (Looking at you Andrew Garfield) and pull it off well without ruining the scene.
Jun 8, 2015 11:09 AM

Jul 2014
Watched this a few years ago, exceeded my expectation.
It was a really good black comedy.
As Popka said above the fact it mixes all these kind of comedy was enjoyable.
Jun 21, 2015 1:18 AM

May 2014
Watched this one sometime early this year. I enjoyed it, but the entire time something felt missing. I think it just didn't go up to it's full potential as a black comedy I suppose. The ambiguous ending was interesting and since watching this movie I've found myself talking to myself saying, "In fucking Bruges?!"
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Introductions

shipgirls - May 23, 2015

24 by adipati_sepuh »»
Aug 20, 2015 12:01 PM

» Suggest A Movie To Be Spotlighted

shipgirls - May 23, 2015

19 by Ducat_Revel »»
Jul 10, 2015 5:08 AM

» Exploitation Film / Shock Cinema

Orion1 - May 31, 2015

8 by Cyclops_23 »»
Jun 28, 2015 5:12 PM

» Guilty Pleasure Film(s)

shipgirls - Jun 1, 2015

3 by Billyisback »»
Jun 21, 2015 12:53 AM

» Spotlight Film: Goth - Gen Takahashi

shipgirls - May 24, 2015

5 by shipgirls »»
May 31, 2015 9:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.