Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2015 11:02 PM

Feb 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya XVI:

Looks like this is the end of the main story. I feel the story drifted way too far away from what I really enjoyed about it. I preferred it when Kyon had to doubt the intentions of the members of the SOS Brigade. The Surprise Arc was completely disappointing. Sasaki was an interesting character but nothing was really done with her. It never felt like Kyon really had to make a choice, because the choice was already completely obvious. I'm honestly glad the anime didn't go farther than it did because it ended around the high point of the series.
Sep 1, 2015 3:20 PM
Jan 2011
Phaetons_Folly said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya XVI:

Looks like this is the end of the main story. I feel the story drifted way too far away from what I really enjoyed about it. I preferred it when Kyon had to doubt the intentions of the members of the SOS Brigade. The Surprise Arc was completely disappointing. Sasaki was an interesting character but nothing was really done with her. It never felt like Kyon really had to make a choice, because the choice was already completely obvious. I'm honestly glad the anime didn't go farther than it did because it ended around the high point of the series.

How did it end?Is this similar to the light novel?
Jun 26, 2022 6:43 PM

Sep 2018
It is a pretty nice conclusion for the story. I wonder how the story will continue if it ever does, but that may require reading the light novels.
Jul 12, 2022 12:10 PM

Dec 2017
rohan121 said:
It is a pretty nice conclusion for the story. I wonder how the story will continue if it ever does, but that may require reading the light novels.

We did get one novel past the point of this manga (released 2020) but it's not some grand continuation of the series. I wish we got more of the anime at least.
Dec 22, 2023 5:54 AM

Jan 2020
Chapter 104 marks the end of the main story.

I too feel like the arcs after The Disappearance were a little disappointing.
The manga was really slow after that and it really got better only towards the last 3 volumes, but then it felt like nothing really happened. The anti-SOS attack on Haruhi happened so quickly (1-2 chapters) that it felt... boring. Like, the climax was completely wasted.
Plus, I feel like most of Kyon's monologue were TOO repetitive. Dude, we get it, you love the SOS Brigade; there was not really any point in pointing it every 5 seconds after The Disappearance. I kinda did miss the cynic Kyon from the beginning.
To be fair I think this manga wasn't the best, despite my love for the Haruhi series. I will read the Light Novel to see if the story really got worse after The Disappearance or if the manga is just a mediocre adaptation.

Sasaki was an interesting character, but towards the end she felt more alien than Nagato herself. Like, she is an even more exaggerate version of Koizumi, and that was kinda annoying. Most of her speeches didn't make any sense to a mere mortal like me.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu Chapter 89 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Mar 31, 2015

1 by Pitto_ »»
Sep 23, 2023 7:28 AM

Poll: » Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu Chapter 85 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Mar 30, 2015

1 by Pitto_ »»
Sep 23, 2023 3:50 AM

Poll: » Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu Chapter 84 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Mar 23, 2015

1 by Pitto_ »»
Sep 19, 2023 4:28 PM

Poll: » Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu Chapter 83 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Mar 23, 2015

1 by Pitto_ »»
Sep 19, 2023 8:44 AM

Poll: » Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu Chapter 82 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Mar 22, 2015

1 by Pitto_ »»
Sep 5, 2023 2:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.