Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 20, 2015 8:28 PM
Dec 2009
I've been on this site for a number of years. One thing I've noticed over the last couple of years has been the emergence of more and more users who enjoy spamming the review submissions with heavy spoilers without proper warning for the sole purpose of ruining the anime experience for as many users as they possibly can. This has happened to me before and it just happened to me tonight. I am fairly upset about this. My entire experience with a show that I was looking forward to was altered because some kid thought it would be funny to ruin the show for everyone.

My suggestion is that MAL should have all reviews require confirmation by a staff member. I don't know if there is the current staff in place to do this but I'm not asking for any intense oversight. All I'm asking is that reviews are skimmed by someone before they are posted to limit spoiler reviews, one line opinions,non-english reviews and other kinds of spam. It would only take 30 seconds to give it a quick look; I can generally tell if something needs to be flagged in about 5-10 seconds.

If others have better suggestions, I'd love to hear them as well. I'm starting to consider using other databases to look for shows and using excel to keep track of what I've watched. I'd like to avoid doing that as I've used MAL for 5 1/2 years now and I've grown accustomed to it.
Mar 21, 2015 3:36 AM

Oct 2009
Why don't you just not read reviews at all?
Mar 21, 2015 6:16 AM

Jul 2012
I'll try to address your main points from your post, OP.

"My suggestion is that MAL should have all reviews require confirmation by a staff member. I don't know if there is the current staff in place to do this but I'm not asking for any intense oversight."

So currently there are Review Mods which deal with reviews/recs. This is the closest thing to what you want. There isn't a staff role for what you're suggesting though. I should also mention that this has been suggested before in various places so it'd be good to look over past threads if you can go searching for more opinions and answers there.

"All I'm asking is that reviews are skimmed by someone before they are posted to limit spoiler reviews, one line opinions,non-english reviews and other kinds of spam. It would only take 30 seconds to give it a quick look; I can generally tell if something needs to be flagged in about 5-10 seconds."

When a review is removed the user is PM'd their review and also given an explanation as to why it was removed. Something like this would still need to happen, therefore it would never really take 30 seconds to deal with each review. We should also keep in mind how many reviews are written on a daily basis [insert missing statistic here] but yeah, a lot. Also I personally do not believe that "skimming" content is an affective method of moderation.

"I'm starting to consider using other databases to look for shows and using excel to keep track of what I've watched."

The way I personally see it, like Serhiyko said, you can honestly just not read reviews - its as simple as that. I also believe that it isn't necessary to read a review to decide if something is for you or not. I tend to wiki an anime I'm interested in before I pick it up. Do some research, ask friends for their opinion on it etc. If anything, a review is going to give some context of an anime/manga/whateveritis away. You'll always come away from reading a review with more information about the work, hopefully just without spoilers.

All in all, I think this suggestion is a good idea. It'd help the community for sure, but currently it would not be possible to implement and overall I think it'd end up just being a lot more extra work. But no, I'm not against discussing this idea at all. : )
Mar 21, 2015 6:58 AM
Dec 2009
Yeah, you guys are probably right. I think I'll just stop reading reviews then. It seems to be the most reasonable solution. If I don't scroll down I can avoid seeing any reviews on the main page. The way it happened to me last time was because I logged in, scrolled down and someone spammed a spoiler on the main page.

It just saddens me that it has come to this. It's not like I have particularly high views of the reviewing quality on this site but just the fact that I have to ignore the entire feature because some people can't handle the privilege to post freely is unfortunate.
Mar 21, 2015 7:03 AM

Mar 2013
I agree with what Snakes has written for the most part, excluding the idea of you not reading reviews. Whether a user wants to read reviews or not is entirely up to him, with relatively heavy spoilers not being a factor under any means that should effect the outcome and decision whether he in the end reads them or not.

As someone who likes reviews myself, I can relate to the issues you've expressed. There are spoilers shared on various series daily, and even though the review guidelines have been edited some time ago and started permitting slight spoilers, major ones are still a no-go.

As said above, the Reviews/Recommendations Moderators are currently the ones who oversee the reviews and moderate accordingly, even though after submissions have already been made. Your idea has been talked about multiple times in the past, but to clearly share my point of view on the matter: I do like it. The only drawback might seem extra work for the moderators to keep up with the all-round pre-set queue, but that in itself should already be happening. Review Moderators should be up-to-date with every new review submitted to the database that possibly doesn't meet the guidelines and take action, whether it is editing, removing, notifying the users, requesting changes, recommending an addition, and so on.

On short, I believe your idea would be nice to take place. It would certainly make the review zone clear and appropriate for the biggest part. If extra work is an issue, then increasing the activity or quantity of the moderation is a must, but that's not something we maintain. The latter is the hands of the current staff to decide, but I believe it would be worth it on a long run. Support.
Mar 21, 2015 9:40 AM

Oct 2009
cyx77 said:
Yeah, you guys are probably right. I think I'll just stop reading reviews then. It seems to be the most reasonable solution. If I don't scroll down I can avoid seeing any reviews on the main page. The way it happened to me last time was because I logged in, scrolled down and someone spammed a spoiler on the main page.

What do you mean by "main page"? If you mean your Panel, you can hide it by editing your Panel's settings. If you mean the anime and manga pages, it's explained how you can hide all reviews using Adblock here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1354703&show=20#msg38256343
Mar 21, 2015 9:44 AM
Dec 2009
Serhiyko said:
cyx77 said:

What do you mean by "main page"? If you mean your Panel, you can hide it by editing your Panel's settings. If you mean the anime and manga pages, it's explained how you can hide all reviews using Adblock here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1354703&show=20#msg38256343

Yeah I meant the panel. Goes to show you how little I know even with how long I've been on this site. I just set it up to hide the reviews on the panel. I really appreciate that you told me this.

I still maintain that my idea would be nice but given that I can just block everything, I think I can live with this.
Mar 21, 2015 11:27 AM

Mar 2013
Unless you mind, we (or should I say I, not to speak in the name of others) would like to proceed with this suggestion even though the hiding option seems to suffice for you. Some of us are actively reading reviews around and sharing feedback as well as help the reviewers via PM afterwards, and this would mean a lot - having the place clean for the biggest part so we can focus more on the actual cases.
Mar 21, 2015 11:53 AM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
Are these persons who intentionally create reviews with major spoilers or troll reviews somehow punished or banned?
Mar 21, 2015 12:07 PM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
It's just that person who created the review tonight which was the cause of this thread (Shigatsu review I believe? ) wasn't banned. That's why I assumed that these people are not punished at all.
Mar 21, 2015 1:23 PM

Jul 2012
Akarin said:
Are these persons who intentionally create reviews with major spoilers or troll reviews somehow punished or banned?
Firstly, Thanks for posting your understanding on the situation. People who do said things are dealt with accordingly. We moderate on a case by case basis so how we moderate can be very situational.
Akarin said:
It's just that person who created the review tonight which was the cause of this thread (Shigatsu review I believe? ) wasn't banned. That's why I assumed that these people are not punished at all.
Basically my first response should go here too. Should also mention for old times sake that you are able to report any reviews which don't follow the Review guidelines and the we'll take care of them accordingly. I hope its clear when I say all staff push make the site a better for all users, so that this sort of behaviour does not go un-noticed or unattended.
Mar 21, 2015 3:18 PM

Mar 2014
Thumbs up for this idea. More support! More spoiler warning.
Mar 21, 2015 6:14 PM
Dec 2009
Subpyro said:
Unless you mind, we (or should I say I, not to speak in the name of others) would like to proceed with this suggestion even though the hiding option seems to suffice for you. Some of us are actively reading reviews around and sharing feedback as well as help the reviewers via PM afterwards, and this would mean a lot - having the place clean for the biggest part so we can focus more on the actual cases.

Of course. If MAL were able to implement my suggestion I would take that over blocking all reviews outright. This is a quick fix. It'll at least protect me from any more spoilers but I'd still prefer it if I could read reviews on this site without having to worry about being spoiled.
Mar 22, 2015 9:29 AM

Jun 2010
I guess I'll tell you what everyone here seems to forget...
Your suggestion won't be accepted simply because MAL doesn't have enough Staff to make it happen.
And that's it.

There are currently 6 "review AND recommendation mods" for this entire database. From that, two of them (AndyRayy and Maffy) I never heard of. Considering that the remaining 4 do their "job" 100% flawlessly and perfectly (which obviously isn't the case) it's admirable that they still can keep up with the amount of submissions.
We (the community) suggested an increase in the number of mods multiple times, but it seems this is a taboo thing here.
Mar 22, 2015 12:54 PM

Dec 2011
xbobx said:
From that, two of them (AndyRayy and Maffy) I never heard of.

That's just you. In fact I'm genuinely surprised. Both are actively involved in MAL's community. If any of the review mods were unfamiliar to me it would be paean.

Anyway... I do like the idea, given that I also despise spoilers (even minor ones can completely destroy a series for me). But what xbobx says is in general correct - at present there have been 92 reviews submitted in the past 24 hours - monitoring and approving those, as well as the recommendations, on top of dealing with any reports that come through, sorting out "previews" at the end of the season, and any other tasks they carry out would be quite a lot of effort. Plus - and perhaps most important of all - there's the fact that something being a major spoiler may not even be apparent to someone who hasn't read/watched the series in question.
At the end of the day,the only real way to deal with it is, if you come across one, to report them and rate them unhelpful in order to get them out of sight so others don't have to suffer.
kuuderes_shadowMar 22, 2015 1:00 PM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.

More topics from this board

» re-watched titles

macmetric - Yesterday

1 by hacker09 »»
Yesterday, 8:15 PM

» Are there any plans to revamp mal on mobile?

Akuya - Yesterday

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 9:19 AM

» An option to hide Explicit Genres from anime/manga list

animegamer245 - May 8

3 by traed »»
May 9, 12:22 AM

» Add an option to view (and display) ratings with a 5 star scale (allowing half stars)

Bergioyn - May 6

3 by Bergioyn »»
May 7, 2:10 PM

» New category for manga lists

Aristotle417 - May 7

0 by Aristotle417 »»
May 7, 11:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.