Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 12, 2015 9:28 PM

Mar 2012
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-12/funimation-announces-yurikuma-arashi-broadcast-dub-cast/.85903

FUNimation Entertainment announced the English dub cast for its Broadcast Dub of Yurikuma Arashi on Thursday. The cast, under ADR director Christopher Bevins and ADR Engineer Peter Hawkinson includes:

Alexis Tipton as Kureha Tsubaki
Monica Rial as Ginko
Jamie Marchi as Lulu
Elaine Wagner as Sumika
Colleen Clinkenbeard as Yuriika
J. Michael Tatum as Life Sexy
Christopher Bevins as Life Cool
Josh Grelle as Life Beauty

The English dub will premiere on Monday, March 16 at 2:30 p.m. EDT, with new episodes every Monday.

Opinions?

I think it sounds like a decent cast. Christopher Bevins has directed a lot of great dubs too so I have faith that he can pull it off.

Good or bad, it'll be hard to match the shittyness of the Penguindrum dub.
Mar 12, 2015 9:29 PM

Dec 2012
J. Michael Tatum as Life Sexy

Looking forward.
[right]
"The big secret to breaking the rules is to make it look as though you're following them."
Mar 12, 2015 11:06 PM

Oct 2012
Great to see Colleen Clinkenbeard as Yuriika. She was awesome in "Ghost Hunt" as
Ayako the self-styled shrine maiden.
okanaganMar 12, 2015 11:13 PM
Mar 13, 2015 2:29 PM

Jul 2013
I'm not familiar with these actors but casting a man as Life Beauty seems questionable. Seems kind of interesting.
Mar 13, 2015 3:19 PM

Mar 2012
Life Beauty is a guy and Mitsuki Saiga is a very convincing guy (Seriously, I had to look it up before I realized it was a girl voicing him) so I see no issue. I was opposed to a guy voicing Armin in Titan but that worked out just fine.

Besides, at least it's not like the Penguindrum dub where they mistake a masculine girl for a guy in a part where the fact that the character is a woman is an important plot point.
Mar 13, 2015 6:19 PM

Feb 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
Life Beauty is a guy and Mitsuki Saiga is a very convincing guy (Seriously, I had to look it up before I realized it was a girl voicing him) so I see no issue.

Fug I thought it was a guy voicing for sure.

Regarding the thread, I think its a waste to invest on subs unless you want to have children watching it.
Mar 13, 2015 6:21 PM

Jan 2015
Collen Clinkinbeard is lillith in borderlands. Shes way more famous than anime fans think she is.

That being said Alexis Tipton is trash and will ruin this dub. Watch Rosario Vampire and youll see why.
Mar 13, 2015 7:02 PM

Mar 2012
ChairForceOn said:
That being said Alexis Tipton is trash and will ruin this dub. Watch Rosario Vampire and youll see why.
I haven't seen Rosario Vampire because the show sounds like trash.

I have however seen Baka and Test, Haganai, Guilty Crown and Space Dandy. She was fantastic in every single one of those roles.

surfboard_ said:
Regarding the thread, I think its a waste to invest on subs unless you want to have children watching it.
Sure. FUNimation have been dubbing anime since the late 90s and are one of the few North American companies to not die out when the anime boom of the early 2000s ended but I guess you, some guy on the Internet who likely has zero experience in the industry, know more about good business decisions.

I mean, if you don't watch them that must mean that no one watches them.
SeibaaHomuMar 13, 2015 7:13 PM
Mar 13, 2015 8:04 PM

Feb 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
Sure. FUNimation have been dubbing anime since the late 90s and are one of the few North American companies to not die out when the anime boom of the early 2000s ended but I guess you, some guy on the Internet who likely has zero experience in the industry, know more about good business decisions.

You're talking about something else, yet related. I just think its only useful for people with low reading skills, but original audio are a lot more exciting and expressive.

SeibaaHomu said:
I mean, if you don't watch them that must mean that no one watches them.

I don't think that way, but now that I think about it, most people around me around prefer subs over dubs. No idea hows otaku culture in your place though or what people like to do most.
Mar 13, 2015 8:40 PM

Mar 2012
Wow, one guy and his incredibly narrow viewpoint of the western anime industry just completely debunked Funi's entire business model.

Never mind the fact that they've dubbed 99% of their releases over their entire life and stil see it a a financially beneficial option even after dipping their toes into subtitled releases. Also don't worry about the fact that their little foray into sub only releases was obviously a great deal less successful than their broadcast dub scheme with the former not producing any results and the latter driving them to dub 10 shows at once while they're still airing in Japan.

But in all seriousness trust me when I say shows like FMA, Titan and Ouran would not have made even half of what they did if they decided to go the sub only route. I can guarantee you that much.
Mar 13, 2015 11:40 PM

Jul 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
Life Beauty is a guy and Mitsuki Saiga is a very convincing guy (Seriously, I had to look it up before I realized it was a girl voicing him) so I see no issue. I was opposed to a guy voicing Armin in Titan but that worked out just fine.

Besides, at least it's not like the Penguindrum dub where they mistake a masculine girl for a guy in a part where the fact that the character is a woman is an important plot point.

Damn, I didn't realize his actor in the Japanese dub is male as well. He's so effeminate and young sounding I just assumed he was voiced by a woman. Lol who did they get the gender of wrong on the Penguindrum dub? The most masculine female character I can recall from that is the redhead girl and she's clearly a girl.
Mar 14, 2015 1:50 AM

Mar 2012
Wait, my mistake. Life Cool is voiced by a woman. Life Beauty is voiced by a man. Don't know how I stuffed that up.
Mar 14, 2015 6:16 PM
Mar 2015
I agree that I highly doubt that the dub will be superior to the sub, if only because Ikuni is such a major stickler on sound design that he put himself in charge of it on both Penguindrum and YKA. That said, this is easily the strongest cast of the simuldub season: everyone except Sumika is a veteran and the ADR director and the scriptwriter are both known to have worked on some of the best dubs Funimation has done. I am cautiously optimistic the Ikuhara dub curse will be broken here.

Alexis Tipton is legitimately one of my favorite voice actresses right now, however I will agree she is overused as a sweet-as-saccharine moeblob which I think are her weakest roles. I prefer her playing the loud, slightly obnoxious if you had to deal with them in real life supporting character (hello Rika/Mix!), so I had her pegged as Lulu. That said, she did a decent job as Saya in the later episodes/movie of Blood-C, and I think a similar voice would fit Kureha.

I also thought Life Beauty was voiced by a female seiyuu, but even then Josh Grelle did a good job "passing" playing a cross dressing man in Princess Jellyfish; no clue if he's going to aim for androgyny or femininity here, but it is definitely possible (though in my experience Bevins doesn't aim for mimicking Japanese voices very often instead seeking someone who sounds believable in English and shows they can give a passionate performance.)

Fun fact: Ginko and Himari are voiced by the same people in both English and Japanese.

Oh, and the Penguindrum character Seibaa Homu mentioned is almost certainly Tsubasa Yuuki, Yuri Tokikago's costar in the Takarazura-esque production of "Tragedy of M". Cannot find any confirmation anywhere who dubbed her in English, but it certainly sounds like a male actor. Since the dialogue makes it clear she is supposed to be female in both Japanese and English I chalk it up to Steven Foster being his usual "witty" self and thinking "it's a masculine lesbian, give a dude the part."

EDIT: Curiosity got the better of me, so I went and checked the disc to see if I could find out who voiced Tsubasa, and I'm 75% sure it is Blake Shepard (AKA, Shoma's VA). I was checking Episode 14 where he has the most lines and Shepard's name shows up in the four named MCs, and also shows up in the extras (who seem to be roughly in appearance order for the episodes on the disk I was watching, 13-16) between Sanetoshi's and Yamashita's (Shoma's faceless friend in the beginning of episode 15).
GrungehamsterMar 14, 2015 9:36 PM
Mar 14, 2015 8:29 PM

Mar 2012
Sorry I forgot to answer that question. Yes, that would be the character I'm referring to. Whether it's a fuckup or just Steve Foster throwing a dumb joke in where it isn't welcome in his usual style it reflects very poorly on him. Either way it begs the question 'What was he thinking?'. Then again, moments like that are scattered throughout the dub.

I don't know what's funnier. Foster's confusing sense of humour or the fact that the actor stuffs up literally every single line whether it be because of bad delivery, finishing the line about three lip flaps early (He actually does this more than once), being silent when it's obvious the character should be speaking and accidentally leaving out lines of dialogue that could have easily been left in. Pretty amazing that such a minor character with a grand total of about 5 minutes screen time could elicit such a negative response for me. Although I suppose that's what happens in a dub where the script is almost exactly the same as the subtitle script.

Of course, no dub of an Ikuhara show will ever beat the original because nothing he's ever made is popular enough in the west to warrant spending all that money and time on crafting the perfect dub. Even the Utena Movie dub which Ikuhara himself worked on was definitely not up there with the original. But I'm not asking for anything crazy. I just want a halfway decent, competently made English dub made by people who at least have some idea what they're working on. Not one where one of the lead characters changes voice actors halfway through the show to someone who sounds nothing like either the original VA or the Japanese VA.*

Is that too much to ask? Steve Foster certainly thinks so but I have trust in Bevins since he directed Beck which is one of my all time favourite English dubs. Plus Monica Rial was one of the very, very few good performances in the Penguindrum dub and is all around one of the most talented people in the industry today (I can also say from meeting her in person that she's easy to get along with but I digress) so I trust her to pull it off.

Only one I'm not 100% on (Other than the newcomer) is Jamie Marchi as Lulu but I can't say I've ever heard a bad performance from her. Plus from what I've seen of PSG her and Rial have some great chemistry so I'm confident it'll work out.

* for those unfamilar with the dub's stuff ups, I'm referring to Tabuki in the Penguindrum dub here.
SeibaaHomuMar 14, 2015 8:38 PM
Mar 15, 2015 2:07 AM

Oct 2012
For people who are interested in the "Central-element Yuri" genre, there is a
poor record of anime series ever being dubbed into English.

1991 Oniisama e... -- (Dubbed into French, Italian and Arabic, but not English.)
1997 Revolutionary Girl Utena -- (English dubbed)
1998 Devilman Lady -- (English dubbed)
1999 Steel Angel Kurumi -- (English dubbed)
2004 Maria-sama ga Miteru . . . not dubbed
2004 Kannazuki no Miko -- (English dubbed)
2006 Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl -- (English dubbed)
2006 Simoun . . . not dubbed
2006 Strawberry Panic! . . . not dubbed
2007 El Cazador de la Bruja -- (English dubbed)
2007 Blue Drop -- (English dubbed)
2008 Candy Boy . . . not dubbed
2009 Kanamemo . . . not dubbed
2009 Sasameki Koto . . . not dubbed
2009 Aoi Hana . . . not dubbed
2014 Sakura Trick . . . not dubbed
2014 Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san . . . not dubbed
2015 Yurikuma Arashi -- (English dubbed)

Perhaps the most disastrous story of the dubbing of a "Central-element Yuri"
anime series was for "Oniisama e..." (1991). It was dubbed into French under
the title "Très cher frère" and broadcast in 1993 in France (TF1) on Wednesday
mornings. Unfortunately, its extremely mature themes were not appropiate for
French pre-schoolers and it was cancelled after 5 or 7 episodes. I enjoy it, but
I have never been able to get past Episode 6 myself. It's pretty extreme. The
series was dubbed into Italian as "Caro fratello" and apparently the Italians
loved it. As well, it was dubbed into Arabic as "Akhy El Aziz".

"Maria†Holic" (2009) has been dubbed into English. However, it is not listed
above since it is considered to be "Secondary-element Yuri". Many "Secondary-
element Yuri" series have dubs.
Mar 15, 2015 3:27 AM

Mar 2012
Sakura Trick was picked up by Sentai Filmworks back when it was airing but they've done nothing with it as of yet. I doubt they'll dub it if and when they get around to releasing the series, but nothing can be said for sure until that actually happens.

I'm not too peeved about that though because, knowing Sentai, they would not put too much effort into a dub for such a niche series. It's also worth mentioning that Maria Holic only got a dub when Sentai re-released the series on Blu-ray.

Also if I'm being honest I have to say I definitely did not expect Yurikuma to get a dub even though everything Ikuhara's done so far has gotten one. Especially seeing as Funimation aren't usually who I'd expect to dub such niche stuff.
Mar 18, 2015 11:37 PM

Mar 2012
So the dub has finally been released and it's... Not bad. As an Ikuni fanboy there are a few nitpicks I have but that's nothing compared to the Penguindrum dub's issues.

It's far from perfect but it's competent and while they threw in some jokes during the opening narration it manages to be very faithful without sacrificing fluidity for the most part. Of course the original is always going to be the best in the case of Ikuhara shows where he works directly with the seiyuu but for what it is it's a decent, watchable dub that doesn't completely shit on the series. And that's all I've been asking for.

The Ikuhara dub curse is finally broken!
Mar 19, 2015 12:18 AM

Oct 2012
Is the English dub going to sell??? Or dubs into other languages???

This is the really important question. Also, it has an immense potential impact
on the people who ordinarily watch subbed or even raw versions.

I don't know this for a fact. However, all of the indirect indications that I can see
strongly suggest that Yurikuma has crashed and burned in Japan. I suspect that
they lost money. Let me leave that as a hypothesis for the moment.

If Yurikuma is successful through income from licensing and dubbing outside of
Japan, it might totally change the story and transform Yurikuma from a disaster
into a triumph. I will just state my hope at this point, and not my expectation.

The fact is that, from a business point of view, the "Central-element Yuri" genre
has been unsuccessful for many years. You have to go back to "Maria-sama ga
Miteru" (2004-2009) and a flurry of Yuri series from 2004 to about 2008 to find
a series that ran for more than one cour. However, the "Central-element Yuri"
genre pretty much died at the end of 2009 with the crashing and burning of
"Aoi Hana" and "Sasameki Koto". Then they stopped making "Central-element
Yuri" up until January 2014 when "Sakura Trick" started.

I'll leave "Sakura Trick" aside, since the characters are pretty shallow and they
don't get developed enough to depict the strong emotional relationships among
women which is the hallmark of Yuri. And besides it is based on a Yonkoma
manga. More gag-comedy Yuri isn't something I'll complain about, but it is not
my focus in this post. Frankly, I would prefer to categorize "Sakura Trick" as
"Secondary-element Yuri" to keep things simple. I will add that I did enjoy
"Sakura Trick", by the way.

If Yurikuma is a business failure, then there will have been no successful
Central-element Yuri series since "Maria-sama ga Miteru" ended in early 2009.
Perhaps the Central-element Yuri genre is washed up. I think that possibility
has to be left open. In that case, it is plausible that there is never going to be
another broadcast-TV Central-element Yuri anime series ever. Ever. It makes
no sense to throw good money after bad.

On the other hand, it totally changes the story if Yurikuma is a major business
success outside of Japan. That might lead to a continuation of the genre.

The alternative is that Yuri fans will be forced to read their novels and manga,
as well as re-watch their VCR tapes and VCD disks of Yuri series of days gone by.

For a good explanation of "Central-element Yuri" and "Secondary-element Yuri",
see these two excellent webpages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_%28genre%29
https://yurination.wordpress.com/the-yuri-list
okanaganMar 19, 2015 12:27 AM
Mar 19, 2015 5:13 AM

Mar 2012
Funimation are doing Broadcast dubs for pretty much every show they picked up this season meaning the dub was likely decided on well before figures came in. There are a few exceptions like Tokyo Ghoul which is pretty much a confirmed hit but Yurikuma isn't one of them. It's not to say it won't sell well in the future, but unlike in the past with Funimation dubs the fact that it got one is no indication that it'll make them a lot of money.

Of course I do want more central element yuri in the future. And despite what a few silly people will tell you with their limited knowledge of how anime production works, we do matter to Japan. So if this does have some success here, then it would give some incentive to make more central element yuri anime.

Either way, I'm happy enough as it is that such a niche show got a decent dub. Unlike Utena and Penguindrum, the dub doesn't distract from the themes of the series so more casual viewers who are interested in checking out the series won't be getting the short end of the stick.

Of course shows like Yuruyuri becoming popular in Japan is a trend I don't want to see keep going. But Yurikuma having a dub by Funimation, the company who brought household names like Dragonball and FMA to US shores (And more recently Attack on Titan), as opposed to a sub only release by smaller company like NISA gives it an edge when it comes to marketing it to western fans.

Who knows? Maybe it could gain a decent niche following in the LGBT community similar to what Utena has.
Mar 19, 2015 6:40 AM
Mar 2015
This would in no way be an exact measure of Western interest, but does MAL provide any easy way to compare this show's site statistics with other new shows this season (particularly ones Funimation has the license for)?

I tried to compare it to another niche show getting rave reviews from the critics: Maria the Virgin Witch. YKA has 14k people saying they are watching compared to 22K saying they are watching Maria. The magical boy show is also sitting at 14K. Then I decided to check Absolute Duo AKA Every Action Harem Light Novel Trope: The Series and I weep that it is at 35K.
GrungehamsterMar 19, 2015 6:52 AM
Mar 19, 2015 6:51 AM

Oct 2012
I think it is wonderful to have a dub expert start up a dub thread for Yurikuma.
For one thing, most series go by without any MAL discussion about an English
dub. I even recall one time when somebody started a thread about dubs and
one of the moderators rudely told him to stop talking about dubs since nobody
on MAL was interested. It might be fair to say that MAL is not such a dub-friendly
place. However, Yurikuma is the perfect series to have a deep discussion about
dubs and let us all get a bit more educated about this very important part of
the anime business. Also, I appreciate the effort that SeibaaHomu is putting
into keeping this thread going.

SeibaaHomu said:
Of course I do want more central element yuri in the future.

Well, me too. It would be sad to see it die. Regrettably, it may be inevitable.
After all, think of all of the genres of Hollywood movies that have completely
disappeared. Think of the types of North American TV shows that have come and
gone. Art always evolves. People who love "Cinéma Noire" from the late 1940s
have to watch those old grainy movies and can't expect new ones to be made.

SeibaaHomu said:
And despite what a few silly people will tell you with their limited
knowledge of how anime production works, we do matter to Japan.

Well, I will step forward and cheerfully admit my ignorance of this topic. I have
not a clue of what fraction of income derives from overseas licensing including
dubs into various languages. As well, I don't know whether there is any publicly-
accessible information about the dollar amounts for specific series.

"Amazon Stalker points" are a useful tool for gauging the popularity of a series
within Japan.

SeibaaHomu said:
So if this does have some success here, then it would give some
incentive to make more central element yuri anime.

Indeed. But I would really love to know whether the English dub will ultimately
account for 0.1%, 1% or 10% of the ultimate gross income for Yurikuma. I can't
even guess. Is it negligible? Is it predominant?

SeibaaHomu said:
Of course shows like Yuruyuri becoming popular in Japan is a trend
I don't want to see keep going.

"YuruYuri" (2011,2012) is in a competely different category. It's genre is best
described as "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things". In fact, YuruYuri was the first
anime series to be purely CGDCT as opposed to including non-CGDCT elements
such as male characters and non-cute female characters. Some people might
argue that "Ichigo Mashimaro" (2005) was the first pure CGDCT, but it depends
on whether you think Nobue is cute or not. Apart from the dominant CGDCT,
everybody knows that there is a lot of Yuri in YuruYuri. But it is very superficial
and involves a lot of nosebleeds and gags. Yuri as a comic relief element in an
anime series is one kind of "Secondary-element Yuri". So that is what YuruYuri
is. Moe fans would correctly mention Moe as well.

I totally respect that SeibaaHomu is not hoping for more series combining CGDCT
and varying fractions of Secondary-element Yuri. But in fact there is a very big
market for it among Japanese fans which has been growing exponentially for
over a decade.

SeibaaHomu said:
Maybe it could gain a decent niche following in the LGBT community
similar to what Utena has.

That would be great. However, a much larger potential market might well be the
"Straight Ally" community. See here for an explanation of the term "Straight Ally":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_ally
The "Straight Ally Symbol" is a light pink triangle enclosed in a dark green ring.
Very early in the series, fans of Yurikuma in Japan noticed that this kind of motif
appears in many places.

Here is a very good example of a webpage created by Japanese fans:
http://purisoku.com/archives/7756686.html

Here is an explanation of the title of the article:

ユリ熊嵐 means "Yuri Kuma Arashi"
美術背景 means "background art"
ストレート・アライ means "straight ally"
ピンク・トライアングル means "pink triangle"

On that page, scroll down to see the pink circle surrounded by the green ring.

Certainly, I don't know what is in the mind of Ikuhara. But it seems to me that
Yuri genre fiction would greatly benefit from support from the Straight Ally
community, specifically if they all go out and buy the Blu-rays of the dub.
okanaganMar 19, 2015 6:54 AM
Mar 20, 2015 7:19 AM

Jan 2015
I just watched the 1st episode dubbed...i hated it sorry, Kureha was the best

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2015

417 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:39 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2015

167 by sketchy12 »»
Apr 21, 2023 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.