Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 25, 2014 11:53 AM
Dec 2014
hiya,

i just found out about mahouka koukou no rettousei. and decided to join MAL because mahouka koukou is awesome.

id like to ask senpai-tachi here what's the closest anime to mahouka koukou that you could recommend to me?

the points i like in mahouka koukou are

- Capable, calm collected main character

- Said main character have ideals, but does not need to shout or have burning speech every other episode

- Protagonists in general that are overpowered and almost always win. But the win is peppered with narration of intellect or showing said intellects at works

- good pacing, doesn't feel drag out

- modern era / future era settings are preferable im not really into history period era

anime i don't look for at the moment is something like prince of tennis series or naruto or one piece or bleach or any 100+ eps animes. As good as they are, it has far too many episodes, and the pacing drags out so much.

yoroshiku onegaishimasu...
nopdromDec 25, 2014 3:36 PM
Dec 25, 2014 1:22 PM

Jan 2013
Psycho pass pretty much covers everything you mentioned.But there is no magic there :P.
Dec 25, 2014 1:23 PM

Jul 2012
Tokyo Ravens
Akame ga Kill

New Prince of Tennis is 13 episodes. What are you talking about?
Dec 25, 2014 1:56 PM

Jun 2014
Chrome shelled regios - the mc hiding his power, he's almost invincible if he get serious
Dec 25, 2014 3:36 PM
Dec 2014
mayukachan said:
Tokyo Ravens
Akame ga Kill

New Prince of Tennis is 13 episodes. What are you talking about?

i meant there's prince of tennis, then zenkoku taikai hen, and then the new one. the whole series. i should've made that clearer.

i counted zenkoku taikai hen as the new prince of tennis as well. edited the 1st post to reflect that.

give me more recommendations...

i've watched chrome shelled regios. and that does feel like mahouka.
i hvn't watch all the others you guys recommend.
nopdromDec 25, 2014 6:08 PM
Dec 27, 2014 11:50 PM
Nov 2013
Try Log Horizon. It has a similar intellectual MC that has a large impact on their world.

I'd also recommend Toaru Kagaku no Railgun/Toaru Majutsu no Index as the settings for each are very similar, a near future with a mix of sci-fi and magic that swaps between light comedy and action/psychological like mahouka
Dec 28, 2014 4:43 AM
Dec 2014
Nicman07 said:
Try Log Horizon. It has a similar intellectual MC that has a large impact on their world.

I'd also recommend Toaru Kagaku no Railgun/Toaru Majutsu no Index as the settings for each are very similar, a near future with a mix of sci-fi and magic that swaps between light comedy and action/psychological like mahouka

hiya! does to aru have a stoic collected main chara too?

i dont care at all about the settings, well, maybe not horror but anything other than that goes.

ill try log horizon for now. thanks!
Dec 28, 2014 10:15 AM

May 2013
Hagure Yūsha no Estetica. Though MC is rather pervert, he is Gary Stu just like Tatsuya.
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Dec 28, 2014 10:18 AM

Jan 2013
infinite stratos. it even looks similar.
Dec 28, 2014 12:17 PM

Nov 2013
Kaze no Stigma
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Dec 28, 2014 2:12 PM
Dec 2014
SolvitePriest said:
infinite stratos. it even looks similar.

the two episodes i've watched of infinite stratos is just an excuse to make harem shows and fanservice without any plot going on.

i might be spacing out when i watch it though.

in what aspects are they similar? having collected main character or harem-wise?
because i dont really care about the harems...
Dec 28, 2014 3:30 PM
Oct 2014
I believe that No Game No Life might be of liking to you.

That being how intellectual the two MC's are, and how they think everything through to the smallest detail. They never lose, nor do they struggle much (unless a lot of people are involved).
Dec 28, 2014 5:15 PM
Dec 2014
LightSwitch said:
I believe that No Game No Life might be of liking to you.

That being how intellectual the two MC's are, and how they think everything through to the smallest detail. They never lose, nor do they struggle much (unless a lot of people are involved).

i watched NGNL right after Rettousei. because based on the MAL page recommendation it seems to be the closest.

anything else?
Dec 28, 2014 5:24 PM

Mar 2014
How has no one reccomended code geass
Don't bother checking my list, im too lazy to fill it in XD
Dec 28, 2014 7:10 PM
Mar 2011
FMA/FMA: Brotherhood, SAO/SAO II, Darker than Black, Full Metal Panic, Death Note, Shingeki no Kyojin, Hyouka, Strike the Blood, Black Bullet, Noragami, Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, Scrapped Princess, Madan no Ou to Vanadis, Hitsugi no Chaika, Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, Blood Lad, Btooom!, Innocent Venus, Mondaiji-tachi, Suisei no Gargantia, Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai, Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio, Zero no Tsukaima, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Un-Go, Code Breaker, Devil Survivor 2, Mahou Sensou, Black Cat, Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi

Just went through my list and looked for shows that had OP main characters that weren't too annoying. Some of them are history, some of them are cyber punk, some of them are fantasy (and I tried to omit those that are deliberate harems). They're also in the order of how I scored them so you'd probably enjoy the ones on the top the most. I also omitted the ones that were already mentioned but they're all very good. ESPECIALLY Code Geass. There's also Fate/Zero but to get into the Fate Series there's a LOT to watch. (Kara no Kyoukai is amazing too).
SamuraiBlue19Dec 28, 2014 7:18 PM
Dec 28, 2014 8:40 PM

May 2014
Log Horizon is the closest I've watched, so far. The setting is within a video game, though. Some people will say SAO too because it's the same setting as Log Horizon, but the focus is another, so not really.

No Game, No Life gets an honorable mention for having an even heavier focus on strategy, but the MCs follow another style and the setting isn't bound to a futuristic-magic human society, but rather another world.

Hyouka kinda follows the same style, but without magic.

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun/To Aru Majitsu no Index share the same high school setting in a "magic" society, but the MCs are nothing alike. On a side note: Railgun is the off-spin, but I liked it better because the MCs are much more solid and it doesn't repeat the same dang joke 8 times.

With all that said, if you feel like venturing a little farther from Mahouka, SamuraiBlue19's suggestions look good (although I myself have watched only a handful of those).
Dec 28, 2014 10:16 PM
Dec 2014
i've read the FMA manga.
code geass hasn't been mentioned probably because it's assumed that a lot of people would already watch code geass. i did too yeah.
i like everything clamp just based on their design. i'd say that it's epic!
watched death note.
read the shingeki no kyojin manga.

tried mondaiji tachi first 2 eps and then gave up.

probably check log horizon next due to you guys opinion.
and then Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu just for the name alone.
and then to aru kagaku no railgun next.

btw, nobody here watches terra formars?

i actually made a "recommend me anime closest to terra formars" as well.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1330809

no dice as of this reply... lol
Dec 29, 2014 12:44 AM
Mar 2011
Most likely no one watched Terra Formars because of the ridiculous censorship.
And don't watch Railgun before you watch Index...Railgun is basically a spin-off of Index.
Dec 29, 2014 7:29 PM
Dec 2014
SamuraiBlue19 said:
Most likely no one watched Terra Formars because of the ridiculous censorship.
And don't watch Railgun before you watch Index...Railgun is basically a spin-off of Index.

ahaha. i see i see
Jan 7, 2015 3:41 AM
Mar 2013
Strangling yourself with your own intestines could be about as much fun as watching Mahouka.
But if you really did enjoy this show for whatever reason I would suggest Kaze no Stigma, it had very similiar feel and even had some redeeming qualities.
"Well if you have criticisms as a consumer of retail item X, then why don't you step down from your role as consumer and critic and become a creator of the sort of item you were hoping to buy and had thought you had been promised, since everyone knows that the only logical, rational solution to displeasure with a product is to become a manufacturer."
Jan 8, 2015 3:11 AM
Dec 2014
i really like the fact that the main character is a calm, collected, very highly capable person.

it's refreshing as it is the opposite of average main characters of shows i watched, that are usually pretty average person that is new to the environment as the eye and narrative piece for the viewers.

i say i like mahouka koukou a whole lot. maybe i could wish for a dial-down on the relationship part, but that's japan for you. can't have the cake and eat it too.

i can say i like this particular cake a whole lot.
Sep 19, 2015 10:02 AM
Sep 2012
Fruits of Grisaia for sure. Tatsuya shiba and Yuuji Kazami is like the exact same character. Sister having brother complex, messed up past, not afraid to say whats on his mind, not a dense character, stoic features, super soldiers, all girls in love with the one guy and Want to live a normal life. Even, they look alike too... They're same character in 2 different worlds. http://pm1.narvii.com/5777/403fc90ce224a747935900b8cbc5d11c4f429ca1_hq.jpg
Oct 7, 2015 2:52 PM

Jul 2014
Gunslayerboy said:
Fruits of Grisaia for sure. Tatsuya shiba and Yuuji Kazami is like the exact same character. Sister having brother complex, messed up past, not afraid to say whats on his mind, not a dense character, stoic features, super soldiers, all girls in love with the one guy and Want to live a normal life. Even, they look alike too... They're same character in 2 different worlds. http://pm1.narvii.com/5777/403fc90ce224a747935900b8cbc5d11c4f429ca1_hq.jpg

+ 1
Nov 17, 2015 10:37 PM

Nov 2015
The Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Nov 17, 2015 10:38 PM

Nov 2015
No Game No Life

Nov 2015
Toaru Majutsu no Index

Nov 2015
Chrome Shell Regios
Nov 17, 2015 10:39 PM

Nov 2015
Strike the Blood

Nov 2015
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica

Nov 2015
Kaze no Stigma

More topics from this board

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - 4 hours ago

18 by Zyro_Plaze »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.