Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 24, 2014 4:24 AM

Jan 2013
A guy posted this in a Madoka fan group I'm on in Facebook talking about the questions he asked Urobuchi at some recent conventions.

"From questions my friend and I asked Gen Urobuchi at Japan Expo USA (synthesized with answers received from Anime Expo in order to formulate a coherent explanation):

For The Rebellion Story, Urobuchi did not have any overt philosophical influence while writing the story. The story was an Urobuchi original (although his influences in general, as always, guided his work). References to Nietzsche were added after the story was completed by the rest of the Magica Quartet.

According to my friend who understands Japanese mannerisms, Urobuchi seemed very resigned while talking about the addition of "God is dead" and etc. to the scenario. Urobuchi also made very clear both at JX and AX that any future Madoka scenarios are both his work and that of many others. I'm hoping to ask him if this means the rest of the Magica Quartet/scenario designers or if he is referring to fan works.

Magical girls do exist in Homura's new world."
Aug 25, 2014 11:31 AM

Jan 2013
More Urobuchi info from the same person.

"Additional notes from Gen Urobuchi's "master class" (10 of us got to sit down with Gen + a translator and listen to him talk about the process for creating Madoka Magica):

Madoka Magica was created as "three truths" (which Homura essentially recaps at the beginning of Rebellion). These formed the guidelines for the character and scenario design.

The first truth: magical girls exist in the world. Magical girls *appear* to draw power from their soul gem, which they acquire through making a contract with a "fairy" and being granted a wish. The strength of their magic depends on the difficulty of their wish.

The second truth: the soul gem is not the source of a magical girl's power, but rather her soul. As magical girls use more of their power, it is their destiny to turn into the witches they fight. This truth is one of the surprises that will be introduced to the audience.

The third truth: there is one "fairy" for the 6.6 billion people on Earth. This is the other surprise that will be introduced to the audience.

In character design, there were only two characters that were detailed out at the beginning. The first was Madoka, who was created as a character that was weak, not confident in herself, and had trouble making decisions. There was around a page of notes on Madoka's character design.

The second was Homura, who had by far the most initial character design (several pages worth). Homura was created as a character that was going to be introduced as very cool and pragmatic, even at the expense of looking like the bad guy. Urobuchi from the beginning had an idea what Homura's wish would be, and how it would set the chain of events of Madoka Magica in motion. In the initial character design, he also planned out how her time powers would work.

Mami, Sayaka, and Kyoko each had around a paragraph of notes. Sayaka was described as Madoka's best friend. Mami and Kyoko had various notes about how their characters would act.

For the story and scenario design, the story was an Urobuchi original. The references to Faust were added after the initial story was written."
Aug 30, 2014 3:27 AM
Aug 2012
Umm, there's no statement which said that Magical Girl exist in Homura's World (for now at least, till they make another sequel)
I am the bone of my sword
Steel is my body and fire is my blood
I have created over a thousand blades
Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
Have withstood pain to create many weapons
Yet, those hands will never hold anything
So as I pray, unlimited blade works.
Aug 30, 2014 5:45 AM

Jan 2013
GundamSFS said:
Umm, there's no statement which said that Magical Girl exist in Homura's World (for now at least, till they make another sequel)

Umm, Urobuchi said it at Japan Expo so if you believe in the word of the author, yes it's confirmed. Here's the info again just to prove I'm not crazy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MadokaMagica/comments/2ejtvd/notes_on_the_anime_and_rebellion_from_gen/

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dimasmw - Oct 27, 2013

1043 by Asuska »»
May 1, 5:57 PM

» Madoka Magica Rebellion is a masterpiece ( 1 2 )

JezzaC - Jan 28, 2021

65 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:00 AM

» State your opinion: Did Homura REALLY do nothing wrong?

StanSayakaMiki77 - Apr 17, 2023

19 by APolygons2 »»
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.