Forum Settings
Forums

Daughter Obsessed with Summer Days with Coo (河童のクゥと夏休み, Kappa no Kū to Natsuyasumi), Suggestions for Similar Anime She May Like?

New
Aug 12, 2014 2:47 PM

Nov 2013
My daughter reminds me that it was on Martin Luther King Day that I showed her Summer Days with Coo (河童のクゥと夏休み, Kappa no Kū to Natsuyasumi), a film which she has become obsessed with and talks constantly about. She admitted that she is infatuated with the kappa character, Coo. (Yeah, she's a bit of an odd ten year old). She downloads pictures of Coo all day and has probably watched the film 50-100 times on her tablet, until my wife deleted it over concern for the degree of obsession.

I'm trying to keep her interested in anime, but I want her to explore more of it. Given that she loves dinosaurs, birds and kappas, what other anime movies have similar plot and fun family feeling to them that also feature a cute mascot-like main character that she might like? All she talks about is Coo all day, despite our best efforts to direct her interests into other areas. Hoping maybe we can find some other anime that will broaden her horizons a bit.
Aug 12, 2014 2:52 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Moved
Belongs in recommendations

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 12, 2014 2:59 PM

Aug 2014
Has she seen Totoro? Ponyo? If she likes dinosaurs, maybe try:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/9204/Omae_Umasou_da_na

And I haven't personally watched this, but this looks interesting:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/12917/Madang-Eul_Naon_Amtalg
QuattroVaginasAug 12, 2014 3:03 PM
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 12, 2014 3:13 PM
Aug 2013
I recommend the land before time series even if it's not anime.
Aug 12, 2014 3:15 PM

May 2012
Chi's Sweet Home and its sequel Chi's New Address would be my first choice. It's about a young Japanese family that adopts a lost kitten. Each episode is just three minutes long.

Unless you're afraid your daughter will start bugging you to have a kitty of her own!

I'll also recommend Dennou Coil with a terrific dog and a cast of characters all her own age. There's also a brontosaurus in one episode.

However

Kemono no Sou-ja Erin is about a young girl who wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a veterinarian to sacred beasts. Erin develops a strong relationship with a large flying wolf-like beast.

The novel on which the adaptation is based is aimed at kids her age or slightly older. However you must promise me you will watch through at least episode seven yourselves before showing it to your daughter. There are also some scenes of fantasy violence.

Mahou Shoujotai Arusu ("Tweeny Witches" in English) is about a girl named Alice who falls off a building into a magical world. Though Alice would like magic to be used for good, in the magical world there are evil magic-users as well. This beautifully-illustrated show has a raft of creatures and a rather dark story that adults can enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTYL6Gvs6sY

I'll toss out one more, Windy Tales, about some girls who develop the ability to direct the wind. Some of the cats in the show have the same ability.

The animation style in this show is very unusual however.
SeijiSenseiAug 12, 2014 3:40 PM
Aug 12, 2014 3:17 PM

Oct 2012
Uchuu Show e Youkoso - Has a bunch of weird looking aliens. It's an awesome movie!

Magic Tree House - Got dinosaurs, magic, and ... stuff.. really good :)

Seconding Totoro and Ponyo.
Aug 12, 2014 5:27 PM

Nov 2013
I should have mentioned that we've shown her Totoro and Ponyo quite a few years ago. I should have also mentioned that she loves dragons (big DragonVale player).

I'll check on the availability of some of the suggestions, here in the US.

My wife bought her the entire Yatsuba manga series, which she is also working her way through, but she's more into watching than reading.
Aug 12, 2014 6:34 PM

May 2012
basspig said:
I'll check on the availability of some of the suggestions, here in the US.

On YouTube: Chi's Sweet Home (forthcoming on DVD though no date yet announced)

On Crunchyroll: Chi's New Address, Erin

On DVD: Tweeny Witches

Only fansubbed: Dennou Coil (though it's on DVD in Australia), Windy Tales

If you don't have a Crunchyroll account, you can sign up for a free fourteen day trial.

There's also the issue of subtitles at her age. Of these, only Tweeny Witches has an English dub. The rest are subbed.
SeijiSenseiAug 12, 2014 6:41 PM
Aug 16, 2014 11:07 PM

Nov 2013
My wife discovered Kamichu! This week and my daughter loves it.
May 24, 2016 8:23 PM

Nov 2013
It's been a few years, but I want to update this thread.

After my daughter's obsession with "Summer Days with Coo" ended, a short time later, my wife introduced her to "How to Train Your Dragon". That was almost 3 years ago, and she has been disturbingly obsessed with "Toothless" ever since. My wife and I have been trying to displace it with something else, but she continues to talk about almost nothing but Toothless. Yes, her love of dragons is abnormal. In fact, she goes to weekly therapy sessions for this impulsive behavior because we are alarmed that we cannot stop it. Being diagnosed on the Autism spectrum, some odd behavior is to be expected, but her talk about Toothless has crossed the line into "inappropriate" last fall. It has really caused us a great deal of stress.

I'd like to get her to move on and widen her horizons. I'm hoping to find some good anime with dragons that she will find interesting enough to take her mind off her obsession with Toothless. She is a middle schooler, but sometimes mentality is that of half her age. Difficult for us, but maybe the right anime will break the spell...

More topics from this board

» Worst anime ever?

Weltman - May 7

12 by Khashishi »»
1 hour ago

» Manhwa/Manhua like Master of Gu or Magic Emperor

Cannynj88 - May 14, 2021

4 by v7Sauron »»
4 hours ago

» Need a romance anime where girl save/fix boy

aizen_sosuke3162 - Yesterday

5 by Eleben »»
5 hours ago

» Oddly charming characters

O-zumbi - 10 hours ago

2 by JoeChip »»
8 hours ago

» Help Finding a Romance Manga About Two Ordinary People?

slebeepy - May 3

1 by O-zumbi »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.