Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 7, 2014 3:33 AM
Feb 2012
sup fellow fans?

As the title suggests, I'd like to ask you about the English Seven Seas releases of the Railgun series. So here goes.
What are the English volumes like? Are Seven Seas doing a decent job? Are they translating properly, not censoring anything, etc? And most importantly- are the books worth purchasing?

Thanks in advance, you guys. I appreciate the help.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Aug 10, 2014 4:59 AM
Feb 2012
Nobody reading the English volumes? Color me surprised. '-'
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Aug 13, 2014 6:44 PM

Aug 2011
I think the English volumes are well done. Nothing is censored, and the translation is accurate. I don't know Japanese, so I can only compare the Seven Seas translation to the scanlation, but they are pretty similar.
Biri-Biri was translated as sparky. My favourite part of their translation has to be in chapter 47 where Touma encounters Mental Out. The translation team slipped in a reference to the funimation dub where Touma calls Misaka bug zapper.

If you want to support the series or own physical copies, I would say they would be worth the money.
Sep 20, 2014 9:42 PM
Mar 2014
RPG_Fanatic said:

Biri-Biri was translated as sparky.

If you want to support the series or own physical copies, I would say they would be worth the money.

Aw, it would be nice if they just leave it as Biri-Biri. Guess I'm ordering it then.
Aug 8, 2016 12:04 PM

Aug 2013
Few mistranslations and simplifications, but in general they are doing decent work (I'm really paranoid if it comes to translations). And yes, they left in honorifics, oneesama etc, but translated biribiri (they did similar thing with Non Non Biyori and 'nyanpasu'....).
It's not their the best translation for sure, I expected more literal translation, but it's definitely not bad. I started buying it in English, so I will collect it in English. Now. I'm buying most of manga in Japanese. It's great way to learn Japanese if you know the basics.
I wrote it for future reference.
rsc-plAug 8, 2016 12:07 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index Gaiden: Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Chapter 153 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 2

0 by MegamiRem »»
Apr 2, 2:10 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index Gaiden: Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Chapter 152 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 2

0 by MegamiRem »»
Apr 2, 2:01 AM

» from what chapter should i read after watching the anime adaptation ?

YizelTro - Apr 10, 2016

3 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 6:21 PM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index Gaiden: Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Chapter 151 Discussion

Lordponczek - Jan 29

3 by LastLuminescence »»
Feb 14, 7:33 PM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index Gaiden: Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Chapter 150 Discussion

MegamiRem - Nov 27, 2023

2 by Softhenic03 »»
Jan 31, 1:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.