Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 15, 2009 11:01 PM

Sep 2008
First, please don't say to use the search function; those threads had many limitations.

Please try to not repeat what has already been recommended.

I do not care if the voices sound bad. If the Japanese voiced version was good, then that will be a prime candidate and will be enough of a reason for me to watch it, but I'm open to pretty much anything you think is good.

Now to clear this up since I know it will be posted sometime, why am I watching something in dubbed version when you think it doesn't do the anime justice? I "watch" dubs while I do homework, need I explain more.

My only condition is that Mamiko Noto does not have a role in the anime.
HawthorneKittyJan 5, 2010 5:31 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2009 3:36 AM

Nov 2008
Eh, I'm not sure I understand, you don't want Mamiko to be a part of it, while you're watching a dub? Anyway, the only dubs I ever watched were Death Note and Ouran. I must say Ouran was done pretty well..

And oh, Ghost Stories is supposed to be a disgrace to dubbing, but it's hilarious! Most lines don't even fit the original script. Sometimes it's like the voice actors just said whatever came up in their minds, and not very innocent thoughts either!
desolatoOct 16, 2009 3:39 AM
Oct 16, 2009 3:50 AM

Jun 2008
HawthorneKitty said:
I "watch" dubs while I do homework, need I explain more.

This seems strange as hell to me. How can you watch and do your homework at the same time? Except if your homework is copying from another notebook. Even then you probably missing a lot from the anime.
Oct 16, 2009 7:47 AM

Aug 2009
Monad said:

This seems strange as hell to me. How can you watch and do your homework at the same time? Except if your homework is copying from another notebook. Even then you probably missing a lot from the anime.

Some people can multitask very well. Either that or it isn't very hard homework.

Cowboy Bebop is up there with the top 2 English dubs (Right behind Lupin). An absolutely excellent show in every regard.

I would suggest Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, except that it is such a visual feast that I wouldn't ever suggest multitasking during it.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is an outstanding dub, and has a great story, if you need a doctorate in Literature catch everything.

If you don't mind a fun, episodic series, see if you can find the Lupin III dub.
Oct 16, 2009 7:56 AM

Dec 2008
I suggest the following series you can watch dubbed and the storyline is barely changed, imo:

-cowboy bebop
-Hikaru no Go
-Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C.
-Silent Mobius (the movie, don't bother with the TV series, not very interesting and it's actually and alternate retelling of the story)
-Pumpkin Scissors
-Lupin the III: Castle of Cagliostro (movie)
Oct 16, 2009 9:51 AM

Jul 2009
Woah...just checked out your Completed anime list so there's not a lot of good dubbed anime I can recommend.
I checked the "Unique to Yamine" and all the only good ones I found were Hikaru no Go and Gravitation. I'd probably opt for Gravitation, it's only 13 episodes long whereas HnG is 75 episodes...unless you think your hw is gnna be that long (though I doubt it).

Oct 16, 2009 9:31 PM

Oct 2008
desolato said:

And oh, Ghost Stories is supposed to be a disgrace to dubbing, but it's hilarious! Most lines don't even fit the original script. Sometimes it's like the voice actors just said whatever came up in their minds, and not very innocent thoughts either!

actually the entire script was re-done, turning the show from a kids horror to a crude comedy that happens to be amazing.
Check this
Oct 18, 2009 10:28 PM

Sep 2008
Thanks for the recommendations everyone, after Cowboy Bebop, I guess I'll watch all the Ghost in a Shell anime/spinoffs/movies/specials/commercials/hair products/furniture...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2009 11:09 PM

Nov 2007
The GITS: SAC dub was terrible from what I heard of it. The soldiers all had GI Joe shitty cartoon voices and there was excessive swearing added to the dialogue that did not appear at ALL in the original. It's one thing to change "bakayarou" to "you fucking idiot", but there's no point to add in swearing when there's nothing remotely close in the script. Didn't sound at all like competent professionals and ruined the more intelligent atmosphere of the anime. Plus I wouldn't recommend watching this and doing homework at the same time. Other than that it's a great series.

And do watch Cowboy Bebop. The dub is one of the best.
Oct 18, 2009 11:38 PM

Dec 2007
kasumisama said:
The GITS: SAC dub was terrible from what I heard of it. The soldiers all had GI Joe shitty cartoon voices and there was excessive swearing added to the dialogue that did not appear at ALL in the original. It's one thing to change "bakayarou" to "you fucking idiot", but there's no point to add in swearing when there's nothing remotely close in the script. Didn't sound at all like competent professionals and ruined the more intelligent atmosphere of the anime. Plus I wouldn't recommend watching this and doing homework at the same time. Other than that it's a great series.

And do watch Cowboy Bebop. The dub is one of the best.

Having just finished GITS:SAC dubbed, that is almost nothing like what I thought it sounded like. There was a good amount of swearing, but it's an adult show. "You fucking idiot" sounds a lot more mature than "bakayaro"' translated (something like "you dummy"). And to me, it still had a very intelligent atmosphere. Hell, it's leaps and bounds better than Manga Entertainment's original dub for the original GitS movie, THAT's for sure.
Oct 18, 2009 11:48 PM

Nov 2007
There was zero swearing in the Japanese dialogue for the parts I watched dubbed, then rewatched in Japanese. None. Like night and day. Just professional soldiers sounding well...professional. Granted, I didn't watch most of it dubbed, but what I did was rewritten into something that sounded very different from the atmosphere of the original.

Also, Japanese and English swearing is very different. It's much less direct and crudely sexual in Japanese. Japanese swears don't translate well for that reason.
You dummy would be too kiddy a translation for bakayarou, I'd go for something more on the level of "you dumb bastard" or "you damn moron." I don't mind kicking up the swearing a notch if it's already in the Japanese dialogue if that makes it more natural sounding in English, but it shouldn't be written in if there's nothing remotely close to swearing in the original dialogue. That's just terrible translation.
Oct 19, 2009 2:25 AM

May 2009
Slayers.
Oct 19, 2009 2:48 AM

Sep 2008
HeVi said:
Slayers.
Yeah, I'm not going to touch Slayers or Hokuto no Ken in any form with a 30 foot pole.
Oct 19, 2009 2:11 PM

Jan 2008
HawthorneKitty said:
HeVi said:
Slayers.
Yeah, I'm not going to touch Slayers or Hokuto no Ken in any form with a 30 foot pole.

Oh, but the dub is so awesome! ^_^

Try Violence Jack on for size. You don't need any attention span for that one.
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Oct 19, 2009 2:43 PM

Feb 2008
kasumisama said:
"you dumb bastard" or "you damn moron."

Somehow I read this with the voice of american Batou..
Oct 25, 2009 9:13 PM

Sep 2008
Now looking for more, don't say Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell.
Oct 25, 2009 11:01 PM

Aug 2009
Afro Samurai (was actually originally in English, starring Samuel L Jackson)
Gungrave
Hellsing
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (I think it does, but I'm not 100% this has a dub)

You could also watch Scryed or Scrapped Princess, but they're pretty bad shows.
nicepantsOct 25, 2009 11:05 PM
Oct 26, 2009 2:50 AM
Jun 2009
try onegai teacher
i watched dubbed cause that was al i had but it was still really good
Oct 29, 2009 12:06 AM

Jul 2008
Kino's Journey

BEGINNER
Oct 29, 2009 12:39 AM

Apr 2008
Air Gear
Nov 30, 2009 12:48 AM

Sep 2008
Now looking for more, please don't repeat any already stated.
Nov 30, 2009 3:23 AM

Nov 2009
Hellsing is the best English dub I have heard so far to date so I would recommend that.

Seen some Azumanga Daioh in dub as well and it wasnt too bad if you cut out Osaka's clearly southern accent.
Dec 2, 2009 6:30 PM

Sep 2008
Mmmm Hellsing is kind of stretching it since it's at the complete opposite end of the spectrum of what I usually watch. I started Azumanga though, even if it is re-watching.
Dec 2, 2009 6:36 PM

Oct 2008
watch gun x sword dubbed. it's good.
Dec 2, 2009 8:31 PM

Aug 2009
Master Keaton and Great Teacher Onizuka are both very good, episodic shows with solid dubs.

Scrapped Princess is dubbed, but the show is, eh, generic. At best.
Dec 6, 2009 5:17 PM

Sep 2008
Now looking for more.
Dec 15, 2009 12:24 AM

Nov 2009
Noein, and Beck, as well as Fullmetal Alchemist.
Dec 15, 2009 3:46 AM

Dec 2009
Big O has a very good English dub, maybe a little too good.
Dec 15, 2009 11:21 AM
Dec 15, 2009 11:32 AM
Jun 2008
Best dubs:

- Samurai Champloo
- Cowboy Bebop
- Fruits Basket
- Cromartie High School
- Hellsing
Dec 17, 2009 9:06 AM
Jul 2009
You have seen way more anime than me but I can give you a link to a site with only dubbed anime (just incase you needed one). Hope this helps you out :)
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/
Jan 5, 2010 5:29 PM

Sep 2008
Thanks for the contributions, everyone.

School has started, now looking for more.
Jan 5, 2010 5:39 PM

Jan 2008
Full Metal Panic, Rurouni Kenshin, You're Under Arrest!
Jan 5, 2010 10:07 PM

Sep 2009
Here's a few suggestions. All of these have decent or good dubs and none have been previously mentioned...although a lot of previous mentioned shows are great as well.

Baccano!
Kanon 2006
Code Geass
Planetes
Outlaw Star
Coyote Ragtime Show
Jan 6, 2010 1:06 PM

Mar 2009
Wolf's Rain
Samurai Deeper Kyo

More topics from this board

» Anime where main character have girlfriend but later love someone else?

Mione48 - Mar 23, 2022

8 by Zedlin »»
28 minutes ago

» anime suggestions

StardustCursader - May 1

7 by PlasticRobot »»
4 hours ago

» Romances As Amazing As Bloom Into You?

Enderobot - 5 hours ago

0 by Enderobot »»
5 hours ago

» Any Good Delinquint Animes/Mangas?

LunarCatx - Yesterday

9 by Cammell »»
Yesterday, 2:16 PM

» Need help finding a Manga

MotoMoto416 - May 1

0 by MotoMoto416 »»
May 1, 9:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.