Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 31, 2014 4:38 PM

May 2014
I'm 18 episodes in and ummmmm... Kind of a let down so far.

I came in to the show with an extremely critical attitude because everyone with eyes and ears seems to agree that Monster is some kind of masterpiece. A Godfather of anime, and if you disagree, you're a fucking retard ass-hat with an inverted penis. Likes that's how much dick sucking Monster has with its following.

So far the show looks a bit over-written, over-ambitious, and unsurprising.

I haven't really hit anything that wasn't already done. A lot of its appeal seems to come from the psychotic nature of the characters, but they all seem like your run in the mill whacko.

I don't dislike the show, I think it's a pretty fun watch and somewhat interesting. But from what I've seen so far it seems just about an 8-ish. But it seems like 99% of reviews are giving it a straight 10.

Have I not seen enough? But does a show really need more than 18 episodes to tell a compelling story?

What are your opinions on why some people, or just myself, don't seem to enjoy Monster as much as others?
Jul 31, 2014 4:53 PM

Jul 2012
MoeSavage said:
I'm 18 episodes in and ummmmm... Kind of a let down so far.

I came in to the show with an extremely critical attitude because everyone with eyes and ears seems to agree that Monster is some kind of masterpiece. A Godfather of anime, and if you disagree, you're a fucking retard ass-hat with an inverted penis. Likes that's how much dick sucking Monster has with its following.

So far the show looks a bit over-written, over-ambitious, and unsurprising.

I haven't really hit anything that wasn't already done. A lot of its appeal seems to come from the psychotic nature of the characters, but they all seem like your run in the mill whacko.

I don't dislike the show, I think it's a pretty fun watch and somewhat interesting. But from what I've seen so far it seems just about an 8-ish. But it seems like 99% of reviews are giving it a straight 10.

Have I not seen enough? But does a show really need more than 18 episodes to tell a compelling story?

What are your opinions on why some people, or just myself, don't seem to enjoy Monster as much as others?

You haven't seen nearly enough.
Jul 31, 2014 4:55 PM

Jun 2014
i tottaly agree with every thing you are saying except i found most of hte charcters rather borring besides johan and the intire show felt like one long filler but yeah i diddent dislike the show its just not as good as people make it out to be
Jul 31, 2014 5:12 PM

Nov 2013
You're definitely not alone. I know quite a few people who weren't too impressed with Monster either. Admittedly, the show is very deliberately paced, so you need to give it time to shine. If "waiting" doesn't appeal to you, then remember that Legend of the Galactic Heroes takes pretty much a whole season to get going. Even something more accessible and still generally acclaimed like Steins;Gate takes like, what, 12 episodes to kick things up a notch.

One of Monster's biggest strengths is its characters. Even the side characters are quite memorable and well-developed. The problem is that you'll essentially need to see the show to the end, since 1/4 of the show isn't quite long enough to witness the stellar development of characters like Runge, Grimmer, and Heinneman.
Aug 2, 2014 3:48 AM

May 2014
Well I finished it and my opinion still remains an 8ish.

It seems too much like an old history text book, the content is there, but if you've experienced this content before, in a much updated version, then going back to this and expecting it to be great is nearly impossible (For me at least). It had too many over-used thrill mechanics and its "mystery" element is easily telegraphed.

To put it bluntly, it's just too hesitant and obvious to be a proper thriller/mystery and its only real suspense lies in the time it takes to play the next episode.

There's a lot of character development, which is to be expected since it's 74 episodes long, but even then, the characters just repeat the same actions over and over again with no real pizzazz.

The only real stand out to this show is its production value... Everything else is deserving of an 8ish show in my opinion
MoeSavageAug 2, 2014 4:02 AM
Aug 2, 2014 3:51 AM

Dec 2012
Well imo the first episodes are the best so...

It gets really stale later on, and there is one scene in the middle that made me start disliking it, and think the whole show was pointless.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 10, 2008

147 by JoaoPedru »»
May 24, 11:05 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 12, 2008

109 by BerserkGUTS »»
May 22, 4:16 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 44 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trie - Mar 10, 2008

435 by Spyral_Grayson »»
May 20, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by FinLuke »»
May 20, 10:52 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 7, 2008

109 by tectacles »»
May 19, 2:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.