Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 13, 2014 1:33 PM
Apr 2014
Ok, so I just finished watching the first episode and so far, this reminds me an awful lot of Knight Run. I know, I know, Knight Run isn't nearly as well-known as it deserves to be, and it's not a real mecha - although it does have mechas - and it's on a slightly (heh) larger scale than A.Z, and it surpasses A.Z in every possible aspect, like it surpasses everything else in every possible aspect (I'm kind of a fan, if you hadn't noticed), but the... feel of it is the same. There are probably few people here who know of the series, but I think that those who do know what I'm talking about.

The absolutely massive spaceships, humanity divided but fighting a common enemy, the feeling that literally anyone can die at any given moment, (possibly genetically) superior Knights at the head of a family/army, almost casual depiction of destruction on a planetary scale,... All they need is some Sekaikei and they're set.

One could of course argue it resembles Gundam, Valvrave or pretty much any mecha series ever with those arguments, but I can't find any better terms to express it. For the few of you who've ever heard of Knight Run, what do you think?
UnleashTheGoatJul 13, 2014 1:37 PM
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
Jul 15, 2014 1:21 AM

Jun 2009
Hm.... I didn't saw the whole translated Knight Run, only few chapters since it didn't interest me ( but I follow it on naver ) and I can't say too much, but I will try.

So, I must disagree. For me, Aldnoah.Zero doesn't remind me of Knight Run.
Mainly because of those which who are characters fighting.
In Knight Run humans were fighting against monsters.
In A.Z humans are fighting humans. They might be calling themselves Martians and have cut ties with Earth, but still they're humans.
Also, it's a diffrence in cause of fight.
In KR they're fighting to survive, defeat the enemy.
In A.Z. Martians wants revenge for "killing" princess and Terrans needs to defend themselves.
Also, it's jut fight between two planets. If I remember correctly, in KR there was more planets with monsters.
In mecha aspect. In Knight Run more than mecha I remember were little girls or boys who were something like robots. There were spaceships and all. Mecha were too but not much.
So, For me, it isn't like Knight Run, I prefer Aldnoah.Zero. There are too much diffrence and it gives me diffrent vibes.

Well, I might be wrong on some points since It was some time when I saw Knight Run, so sorry for all mistakes. I wanted to write something wrong but I forgot what..... And also, I apologise for all mistakes in English. It isn't my native language.
Maybe when more chapter will be translated I will return to Knight Run, who knows.
Jul 15, 2014 1:38 AM

Jul 2014
I must confess: I actually haven't seen Knight Run, so I can't very well say that Aldnoah is similar.

I can, however, say that it does use a lot of themes used in other mecha series to some degree or another -- we see Gundam's Earth Federation vs. Zion, the typical "silent protagonis," the trope of a young kid being thrust in to a war he/she should never have been forced to fight, etc. etc.

Even the "We landed on the moon only to find ALIENS (or alien tech)" thing has been done to some degree.

That's not to say that's inherently bad, mind you, but the similarity in themes could be what you're sensing.
Jul 15, 2014 1:39 AM

Jan 2011
You can compare anything with similar genres and themes.
Jul 15, 2014 7:16 AM
Apr 2014
FankaAnime said:
Hm.... I didn't saw the whole translated Knight Run, only few chapters since it didn't interest me ( but I follow it on naver ) and I can't say too much, but I will try.

So, I must disagree. For me, Aldnoah.Zero doesn't remind me of Knight Run.
Mainly because of those which who are characters fighting.
In Knight Run humans were fighting against monsters.
In A.Z humans are fighting humans. They might be calling themselves Martians and have cut ties with Earth, but still they're humans.
Also, it's a diffrence in cause of fight.
In KR they're fighting to survive, defeat the enemy.
In A.Z. Martians wants revenge for "killing" princess and Terrans needs to defend themselves.
Also, it's jut fight between two planets. If I remember correctly, in KR there was more planets with monsters.
In mecha aspect. In Knight Run more than mecha I remember were little girls or boys who were something like robots. There were spaceships and all. Mecha were too but not much.
So, For me, it isn't like Knight Run, I prefer Aldnoah.Zero. There are too much diffrence and it gives me diffrent vibes.

Well, I might be wrong on some points since It was some time when I saw Knight Run, so sorry for all mistakes. I wanted to write something wrong but I forgot what..... And also, I apologise for all mistakes in English. It isn't my native language.
Maybe when more chapter will be translated I will return to Knight Run, who knows.
Your English is fine, don't worry ^^ But yeah, I was referring to the vibe more than to genres and scale. Martians <> Earthlings reminds me of Monsters <> Humans in KR: strong, but not OP grunts (although we haven't sen any grunts yet in A.Z), and über OP elite. And after the prologue (the Pray chapter),
which might be what gives me that feeling. It's also set in high school then.
ReaperCreeper said:
You can compare anything with similar genres and themes.
True, but I wasn't comparing genres and themes, I was referring to the way the atmosphere felt to me. The second episode proved me wrong though, but we'll see how it turns out.
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2123 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

319 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

474 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

837 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 23, 2:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.