Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 3, 2014 12:26 AM
May 2014
SPOILER FOR EPISODE 126 OF HUNTER X HUNTER (2011)!
If you haven't watched beyond this point, leave this post.

EDIT: The commenters managed to completely debunk the claims I make in this post, so fortunately I ended up wrong, this arc still remains a masterpiece. The ones who managed to convince me are seen in after every EDIT-notice from here on. I still reccomend you to read it since it's interesting xD

So I've noticed something really odd after the explosion went off, and it also possible rendered the entire arc illogical and flawed. A certain question popped up into my mind... Why didn't they just nuke the palace?

I've discussed this with my friends and we tried to come up with a logical solution but we failed and had to keep it at "it's just shounen manga", maybe you guys can prove us wrong!

Here are some of the arguments which we managed to debunk, or at least I think we did.

- Palm had to be rescued and there were civilians outside the palace hypnotized by Pouf. In that case... why did they wait for days on end until the civilains arrived and Palm had infiltrate the palace? Why not nuke the palace BEFORE those things happened?

EDIT: The atomic bomb should only be used as a LAST resort as it creates many political problems, combined with the fact that using it on a testing site creates WAY LESS problems than using it on a royal palace. (argument by TonyTonyStark)
EDIT: The hunters were not even sure if the King was IN the palace, the only time they were sure he would be there was during the selection day! So they HAD to wait! Nevermind the fact that the King could also have been hiding underground, untouched by the explosion! So they had to literally walk in the palace and locate him with En. ( by soundscape and Guilek)

- Pitou was gaurding the place with his/her aura, thus they could not go near the palace close enough to detonate the bomb. In THAT case, they could have just used Zeno's dragon dive to MASK the bomb, surely a bomb that fits into Netero's body would not stand out in a sea of shining dragons. Heck, why not add another bomb or two? The narrator DID say they're cheap. I'd also like to add the fact that they had Knov's portals there, which would be pretty useful to sneak in a bomb or two or three if you ask me.

EDIT: They could not just throw in the bombs masked by dragon dive because they didn't know about the ants' abilities! They would risk revealing their trump card! I'll edit right away! (by dark-chaos)

- Gon needed Pitou alive to resurrect Kite, and Netero wanted to fight the King himself at all costs. Gon and his motives can be directly pulled out of this as it's not worth risking humanity for. As for Netero, how could he possibly have known that the King would agree to calmly come along? The only reason he did that was because of Komugi, whom Netero knew nothing about. Without her the King would have decided to just cut both Netero's and Zeno's heads off in an instant, since we saw him "walk past" them with ease. Which would of course trigger the bomb! Thus killing every single one of his companions in the palace! Do you think Netero was so hungry for a good match that he would risk the lives of his companions on the off chance that the King would quietly take a ride along with his dragon taxi? I don't think so.

THERE ARE 2 WAYS I see in how this can be redeemed.

1) Because of that scene in which Netero was talking via telephone to those guys in black suits. After the conversation Netero made it seem like they were trying to frame the Hunter Association, maybe they wanted Netero dead? And would only give him the bomb if he agreed to plant it in his body.

2)The bomb only works when it's inside someone's body.

These have yet to be explained and clarified by the author (I think, unless I missed something). And while they don't completely justify Netero's decision to risk the lives of his companions for the sake of his hunger for battle, it at least makes it so the entire arc doesn't look like it could have ended with a bang right from the very beginning, thus rendering eveything that happened until now unnecessary from a real world perspective.
lulzatzuMay 3, 2014 7:02 AM
May 3, 2014 2:01 AM

Jan 2011
in ep 125 Netero : to face against an opponent which i have strong indications for defeat , with all of my soul (manga line ch 291 page 13)

This should be reason enough , Netero want fight someone more power than him , so he go to fight king for personal goals

but if u want more logical
+ hunters didn't know about all royal guard nen ability, what if someone have ability to teleport like knov
dark-chaosMay 3, 2014 3:04 AM
May 3, 2014 2:24 AM

Feb 2014
Ughhh for the 99th hand time, it was a last resort...

Did you not watch episode 127? The bomb was banned. Using it on Kim Jong Un's palace seems like a very stupid idea that could spark a war. How would the world react to having such a weapon be used again on such a popular palace next to the capital? What government used it? Why? Who's gonna be next?
How many factions or governments would even wait for an answer? And do you really think that telling the truth that a superior race is invading and taking over is a good idea?

Using it in a nuclear testing site... seems about normal. Location, location, location.

The question itself is illogical: Why did they not bomb the palace in the first place? Because they did not prefer to bomb the palace itself. Attacking the palace was inevitable, sure, but invisible Nen sure is smarter than a bombastic rose.

Strategic planning in order to minimize casualties, they need to have the foresight to predict what might be the consequences. Bombing the King is easy, but since it's easy, then the bomb issue is far more dangerous than the king himself. It's all about priorities, even if his death is no.1, doesn't negate that there are other issues to consider, ones that might prove more troublesome.

And again, it was in case all else (including Zero) failed.

People have the misconception that Netero did the battle just for fun. While he did happen to enjoy it, it was never stated, nor does anything suggest that this was his motivation, it was just an added bonus for his final showdown that he was grateful for.
TonyTonyStarkMay 3, 2014 2:35 AM
May 3, 2014 2:45 AM

Oct 2013
Put in your equation things like....

They had no idea if the King is inside the palace. The palace had underground DEEP routes that a bomb would never do damage to. They had no idea what abilities their enemies had. At a point ALL communication stopped with Netero and they couldn't change the plan. They didn't want to start a war or to create a global incident. They wanted to save as much people as possible, the city of Peijing is near the palace and people deffinitely would die by the bomb. It was a last resort solution.

Well if you think harder you'll find more.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
May 3, 2014 4:11 AM

Sep 2008
A lot of things in this arc were illogical but I wouldn't say the arc was unnecessary. It was a good watch.
May 3, 2014 5:20 AM

Oct 2013
Like what things were illogical?
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
May 3, 2014 5:39 AM

Feb 2014
It is really amazing you discussed it with another person, YET you barely made any point out of it and missing such obviously obvious fact.

Just, re-watch the entire arc if it needed(obviously needed for you and your friend).
May 3, 2014 6:19 AM
May 2014
dark-chaos said:
in ep 125 Netero : to face against an opponent which i have strong indications for defeat , with all of my soul (manga line ch 291 page 13)

This should be reason enough , Netero want fight someone more power than him , so he go to fight king for personal goals

+ hunters didn't know about all royal guard nen ability, what if someone have ability to teleport like knov

I find it really illogical that Netero would risk the lives of millions for the sake of a good match. It is just completely out of character.

HOWEVER your last point is very strong, it completely debunks my first debunk xD
They could not just throw in the bombs masked by dragon dive because they didn't know about their abilities! They would risk revealing their trump card! I'll edit right away!
May 3, 2014 6:25 AM

Jul 2013
They attacked the day of the selection because it was the only day, they knew that the King will be in the palace. It was cleary said.

Netero paid the best assassin to make the king go in the right location.
May 3, 2014 6:29 AM

Dec 2012
Yes very much so and even there it was really dragged out adding insult to injury. And the unnecessity of certain events doesn't stop here.
tsudecimoMay 3, 2014 6:34 AM
May 3, 2014 6:30 AM

Oct 2013
Guilek said:
They attacked the day of the selection because it was the only day, they knew that the King will be in the palace. It was cleary said.

DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!
May 3, 2014 6:34 AM

Feb 2014
lulzatzu said:
dark-chaos said:

I find it really illogical that Netero would risk the lives of millions for the sake of a good match. It is just completely out of character.
!

Only because you ignored this:
" People have the misconception that Netero did the battle just for fun. While he did happen to enjoy it, it was never stated, nor does anything suggest that this was his motivation, it was just an added bonus for his final showdown that he was grateful for."
-.-
May 3, 2014 6:36 AM
May 2014
You made
TonyTonyStark said:
Ughhh for the 99th hand time, it was a last resort...

Did you not watch episode 127? The bomb was banned. Using it on Kim Jong Un's palace seems like a very stupid idea that could spark a war. How would the world react to having such a weapon be used again on such a popular palace next to the capital? What government used it? Why? Who's gonna be next?
How many factions or governments would even wait for an answer? And do you really think that telling the truth that a superior race is invading and taking over is a good idea?

Using it in a nuclear testing site... seems about normal. Location, location, location.

The question itself is illogical: Why did they not bomb the palace in the first place? Because they did not prefer to bomb the palace itself. Attacking the palace was inevitable, sure, but invisible Nen sure is smarter than a bombastic rose.

Strategic planning in order to minimize casualties, they need to have the foresight to predict what might be the consequences. Bombing the King is easy, but since it's easy, then the bomb issue is far more dangerous than the king himself. It's all about priorities, even if his death is no.1, doesn't negate that there are other issues to consider, ones that might prove more troublesome.

And again, it was in case all else (including Zero) failed.

People have the misconception that Netero did the battle just for fun. While he did happen to enjoy it, it was never stated, nor does anything suggest that this was his motivation, it was just an added bonus for his final showdown that he was grateful for.

"ughh" No need to get sour with me... anyway..You made a good point, I'll edit.
May 3, 2014 6:39 AM

Feb 2014
Not being sour but the question is asked like always... And the answer is no longer implicit so people could answer it themselves...or at least they should.
May 3, 2014 6:45 AM
May 2014
soundscape said:
Put in your equation things like....

They had no idea if the King is inside the palace. The palace had underground DEEP routes that a bomb would never do damage to. They had no idea what abilities their enemies had. At a point ALL communication stopped with Netero and they couldn't change the plan. They didn't want to start a war or to create a global incident. They wanted to save as much people as possible, the city of Peijing is near the palace and people deffinitely would die by the bomb. It was a last resort solution.

Well if you think harder you'll find more.
soundscape said:
Guilek said:

DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Very nice! combined with your argument that the King could also have been hiding in underground, we have completely debunked this so called "plothole"
Trust me guys, I wanted to be wrong so badly, I'm glad I am.
May 3, 2014 6:55 AM

Jul 2013
And the plan wasn't to quietly take a ride along with a dragon taxi but to make the king go to the location by the force. It was a surprise that the king went quietly.
May 3, 2014 6:57 AM
May 2014
I did not ignore it, the one who made the argument AGAINST me, made it seem like Netero would risk it all for the sake of his long-awaited battle, to which I said is nonsense.

But that doesn't matter anymore since we know Netero had no choice but to take this risk, no matter what his intentions were for the fight. The plan was very strong and dare I say the only possible one that made sense.
May 3, 2014 7:06 AM
May 2014
Guilek said:
And the plan wasn't to quietly take a ride along with a dragon taxi but to make the king go to the location by the force. It was a surprise that the king went quietly.

Indeed I tought about that one myself too, Netero seemed quite dissapointed when the King wanted to voluntarily come along.
May 3, 2014 7:37 AM

Jan 2011
lulzatzu said:
dark-chaos said:

HOWEVER your last point is very strong, it completely debunks my first debunk xD
They could not just throw in the bombs masked by dragon dive because they didn't know about their abilities! They would risk revealing their trump card! I'll edit right away!

but i think this more like humanity
Each human has an ugly side that try to hide , make Netero show his ugly side make him more humanity for me
+ if u think the way Netero go , it's less risk than just nuke the palace and they cant be sure then if king was there and die or no
dark-chaosMay 3, 2014 7:41 AM
May 3, 2014 11:30 PM
Mar 2014
Had they dropped the bomb into the palace from above it would have been stopped by pitou way before it reaches the palace. If you watch ep 111 after Netero And Zeno jump from the bird they were still way too high for even pitou's exceptional senses to detect yet Pitou - with pure animal instinct - detects a threat coming from above.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - May 3, 2012

155 by wibugar »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Avato-chan - Apr 7, 2012

107 by Nerdason »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

fishergirl16 - Mar 31, 2012

116 by Nerdason »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Mikasa - Mar 24, 2012

130 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

fishergirl16 - Mar 17, 2012

133 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 3:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.