Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2014 7:43 PM

Dec 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The whole reveal behind the secret of the Gads was cool but a bit underwhelming. The family reunion + farewell between Lightning/father and Hajiki was touching though. Especially when Hajiki mentioned how the two techodes represented two sides of his father. Yeaah way to go Hajiki x Arashi. But nooo shame on you Hajiki for skipping town right after that kiss. I really love the jazzy ost, it's just so catchy and Richie's got them moves! Catherine managed to keep me amused to the end, chasing down Hachisuka like that. Was sad to see Sayuri finally go but it looks like Katana had already made peace with the idea.

Well as a whole I feel like this series was certainly something else. It took me some manning up to finally get into but I really enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised by how many veteran seiyuu took part in this series, I heard a voice I could recognize every single episode, even with the minor characters. The atmosphere was very nostalgic and I like how it was straightforward about the themes it dealt with, never trying to sugarcoat reality. There was always a bit of melancholy lingering over this show. I also like how the characters didn't play into everyday tropes that are commonplace in anime today (except for Arashi's "baka" moments, that was always amusing).

The direction this series took was very unexpected. Based on the opening and premise, I was expecting them to all team up and fight a bunch of baddies in the name of justice blah blah, but this really turned out to be a refreshing treat. I like how there was closure to the story while remaining open ended with what the characters plan to do from there.

Going to say a 7.5/10, definitely a hidden gem among the many underrated and underwatched shows on MAL. Or should I say a hidden gad?

Edit:

One other thing I found interesting was the role of the gads/techodes in exploring the nature of the characters and their development. When the techodes first appeared, they represented the most fundamental and core values/beliefs of each character. Throughout the series, however, they changed and were dyed in the colors of reality. So when all of their techodes/gads finally did disappear, so did those aspects of them. This is just speculation but:

- Arashi's gad allowed her to fly and be free, but disappeared when she decided to return home and help teach martial arts with her father.

- Hajiki's gad represented his desire for adventure and following his father, so when that was resolved, him and Lightning parted ways.

- Takumi's gad was a manifestation of his desire to fight as an ally of justice. However, it disappeared once he became too conflicted and radical to the point where he didn't know what he was fighting for anymore.

- Katana's gad(s) represented his desire to conquer and to hold onto Sayuri. Once he let go of both his dreams to rule Night Town and let Sayuri go, his gads vanished as well.

- Aoki's gad didn't vanish because she never let go of her desire to go wherever she wanted and live free.

Raising my score to an 8/10 with that in mind, really enjoyable and thought provoking series that reminds me of my cartoon watching days of the 90s.
ZekkenshinApr 22, 2014 6:27 PM
Sep 14, 2022 5:20 PM
Sep 2013
The end of the anime is the best part and it's not sarcasm, this final part is the most interesting of the whole anime, I would say that the anime has ups and downs, in some episodes it has interesting and very adult themes but the anime can't do that interestingly.
The anime ended with Hajiki's romance with Arashi, in fact I think all the couples were well on their way, there was even a kiss between Hajiki and Arashi, this surprised me, I thought the anime would end open in the romance part or would there be something that pissed me off, because clearly Arashi liked Hajiki, imagine if they didn't end up together or she ended up with someone else?
Watching this anime I was very afraid that something would happen that would make me angry, but I'm glad it didn't happen, there was the part of the police officer at the nightclub, but they managed to soften and get her out of that environment.
I have to make some considerations with the beginning of the story, when the main ones were still to join it was kind of unreal Hajiki, Aiko and Takumi have a very similar superhero outfit, in the same style without them having met and agreed before , if each one had a different model it would be ok but they dressed practically the same just changing the color.
The characters of this anime were very charismatic although they lacked certain motivations for example Katana having a connection with Hajiki, at first he wanted to destroy the lightning, then he became a kind of stalker of Hajiki, and soon after he went after Sayuri.
Hajiki started out wanting to stop Katana, then he wanted to buy his old house, then he just left, then later on out of nowhere he wanted to go to space.
Aiko didn't know what she wanted to do with her life and out of nowhere after having her mecha punched she gave up on telo.
Arashi for some reason wanted to have a mecha and after she got it she didn't use it, she only used it when necessary, when the scene called for it.
Takumi was perhaps the most coherent, he wanted to be a hero, but he realized he was being hypocritical and tried to improve.
Catherine wanted a gad, the beginning of the story basically revolved around that but then she is a character played to the side.
Kogoro was made just to be the boss, in the second half he was forgotten.
I would give it 6.5/10 but on MAL you can't put a broken grade so I'll give it a 6, it's not that this anime has a bad story, bad characters but its rhythm is bad and maybe the things that happen in this anime could have been done better, this anime didn't make me excited or anxious to watch it straight away, something was definitely missing from this anime, it's an anime that doesn't have anything that makes me recommend it but it would be an interesting anime to introduce a beginner to animes world.

6/10

PT-BR

O final do anime é a melhor parte e não é sarcasmo, essa parte final é a mais interessante do anime todo,eu diria que o anime tem altos e baixos, em alguns episódios tem temas interessantes e bem adultos mas o anime não consegue fazer isso de forma interessante.
O anime finalizou com o romance do Hajiki com a Arashi,na verdade eu acho que todos os casais foram bem encaminhados, teve até beijo do Hajiki com a Arashi,isso me surpreendeu,eu achava que o anime ia terminar em aberto na parte do romance ou ia ter alguma coisa que me deixasse puto,porque claramente a Arashi gostava do Hajiki,imagine se eles não terminassem juntos ou ela acabasse ficando com outro?
Vendo esse anime eu fiquei muito receoso que acontecesse algo que me deixasse irritado, mas ainda bem que não aconteceu, teve a parte da policial na casa noturna, mas eles conseguiram amenizar e tirar ela daquele ambiente.
Eu tenho que fazer umas considerações com o começo da história, quando os principais ainda estavam para se juntar ficou meio irreal o Hajiki a Aiko e o Takumi terem uma roupa de super herói bem parecida, no mesmo estilo sem eles terem se encontrado e combinado antes, se cada um tivesse um modelo diferente seria ok mas eles se vestiam praticamente igual só mudando a cor.
Os personagens desse anime eram bem carismáticos embora faltavam certas motivações por exemplo o Katana tendo uma ligação com Hajiki,primeiro começo ele querendo destruir o lightning,ai depois virou uma espécie de perseguidor do Hajiki,a logo depois foi atrás da Sayuri.
Hajiki começou querendo parar o Katana,depois queria comprar a sua casa antiga,ai depois só foi embora,ai mais para frente do nada queria ir para o espaço.
Aiko não sabia o que queria fazer da vida e do nada depois de ter seu mecha socado desistiu de telo.
Arashi por algum motivo queria ter um mecha e depois que obteve não utilizou, só utilizou quando necessário, quando a cena pedia.
Takumi talvez tenha sido o mais coerente, queria ser um herói, mas percebeu que estava sendo hipócrita e tentou melhorar.
Catherine queria um gad,o inicio da historia basicamente girou entorno disso mas depois ela é uma personagem jogada de escanteio.
Kogoro era feito só pra ser o chefe, na segunda metade ele foi esquecido.
Eu daria 6,5/10 mas no MAL não da para colocar nota quebrada então eu vou dar um 6, não é que esse anime tenha uma história ruim, personagens ruins mas é que seu ritmo é ruim e talvez as coisas que acontecem nesse anime poderiam ter sido feitas de forma melhor, esse anime não me deixou instigado nem ansioso para assistir direto, com certeza faltou algo nesse anime, é um anime que não tem nada que me faça recomenda-lo mas seria um anime interessante para introduzir um iniciante no mundo dos animes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gad Guard Episode 25 Discussion

Zekkenshin - Apr 18, 2014

0 by Zekkenshin »»
Apr 18, 2014 6:44 PM

Poll: » Gad Guard Episode 24 Discussion

0 by Zekkenshin »»
Apr 18, 2014 5:52 PM

Poll: » Gad Guard Episode 19 Discussion

0 by Zekkenshin »»
Apr 18, 2014 10:54 AM

Poll: » Gad Guard Episode 18 Discussion

0 by Zekkenshin »»
Apr 18, 2014 8:11 AM

Poll: » Gad Guard Episode 17 Discussion

0 by Zekkenshin »»
Apr 18, 2014 7:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.