Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
May 16, 2014 1:54 PM
Oct 2012
different said:
The characters in both ngnl and sao are unbelievable because they are the einstien of their world. Sao required fast reaction timing/sword fighting and kirito was a genius sword fighter and had innate fastest reaction timing. NGNL required intelligence/wisdom and Sora is literally a genius in that aspect.

People with lack of social lives tend to be ugly and have bad communication skills. In both Sao and NGNL the main characters get all the girls, which makes it unbelievable.

Kirito wasn't a neet or a hikkikomori, he was bullied a bit by his grandfather and at school because he had a feminine looking face, but there was nothing to indicate that he was a complete social outcast. So, he wasn't unattractive in the show (in that feminine looking faces are pretty popular with girls his age). As for him even being that unique with his game skills, it wasn't as if he was competing with the entire world, he was competing with the other members in the game (around 20K or so). Someone had to be the fastest, and we wouldn't have much of a story if the MC wasn't that person, just as in Log Horizon Shiroe is the best strategist, why would we watch if he was 3rd or 10th? Was Shiroe a Neet or Hikkikomori?

As for this show, Sora is not even portrayed as being that attractive. Just look at his contorted face when he grabs Steph or responds to any nudity. The Joke is on the people who think this is "wish fulfillment", the writer is having fun with those stereotypes, and we the fans enjoy it. Not great humor of course, but fitting with all the reference jokes in the show. This is a show that doesn't take itself seriously.

Of course I know you are paying devil's advocate, so I know you know this, just wanted to answer!

Oh, Kaioshin - what's wrong with people getting excited at the "hype train flavor of the month" (though it has been nearly two). Why can't people just enjoy something once?
May 16, 2014 2:30 PM

Nov 2011
^Enjoying things is wrong.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
May 16, 2014 3:02 PM
Dec 2012
gamer5 said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
rederoin said:
TheLivingVirus said:
letswrok said:
just watch episode 6
recreated the scene perfectly from the book
the absurd settings and the details of the world is really well done

Yeah, that absurd that they broke their own rule within the show and took around 33 seconds because they had to include moaning naked girls.

The match should have already been over. It has been over 30 seconds.

It's as if the writers themselves don't even care about this shit anime.

Its written by 1 person, genius.

Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
It's pretty clear that the show is primarily over the top wish fulfillment empowerment stuff for NEET otaku where you're along the ride with the main duo that represents said demographic and which never loses and always gets it's way in the end.

Actually our demographic is: "those who enjoy shows that cause posers to work their panties into a bind trying so hard to prove that they are too enlightened to enjoy just mere entertainment and wish that all shows were as bold and wonderful as 'Aku no Hana'".

Granted the show itself is a lot of fun, but the complainers are like the frosting or exactly the cherry on top.

Pretty much.

I do want to add that this show is clearly not aimed at NEET, because they don't have any fucking money.
It just shows that somebody is trying to come up with baseless insults towards the target demographic.

Ofcourse, if this was made by Sunrise, he'd be praising it into the high heavens.

Nope. For example I currently have this rated the same as Love Live. Both shows have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not some studio fanboy for Sunrise, I just think they have a better track record than most.

@Caleb: That's true but if I do that which I'm admittedly kind of trying to it kind of excludes it from that ZOMG Masterpiece reaction that a lot of people are having. Basically as I keep trying to explain I'm weighing strengths and weaknesses here and the show just kind of comes out kind of average. Also I think part of the problem here is some people can't tell the difference between criticisms and insults. Too some people any sort of criticism of some shows is seen as insulting the audience For example when I call something otaku pandering I'm basically saying I can't see any other purpose to an element in a show or what its doing than just trying to appeal to otaku sensibilities and reflex reactions. To others maybe they don't see at that way I don't know but for me those aspects and sometimes entire episodes just arent working for me.

I cloud argue about the fact that most of the shows that you ranked as masterpieces in your list are far less attractive, at least to me, then other shows. I meant they are mostly old shouen-styled heroic anime or mecha, personally I find mecha shows to be nonsense from the standpoint of military science and the probable engineering issues of making such mech (are the people making this trying to insult my knowledge of military and engineering I wonder when I see mechs), the future is at least for the few next few decades in RC and advanced battlefield integration, not mechs usually armed with non-realistic weapons for their size, or bluntly idiotically big ones.
On the other hand the only newer things high in the ratings are retro-styled anime or mecha shows ... so I am wondering how objective can one be when he is almost clearly a nostalgic b*****d which to me looks like he would like that anime making remained stoned in the last decade of the previous millennium. (So nostalgic that he actually uses a Dragon Ball character's name for his nickname).
It is the good old "things were better when I was a child" non sense I hear from all the people older then me. If you are one of them and if things were really so much better in the past then why don't you just leave us, the generations of today and tomorrow alone and sit quietly in a corner together with your nostalgia.

The comment that Takuan quoted sounds like a freaking insult to me - it shows that you think that the show is something that is not.

1. Yeah a nice portion of people watching this are Otakus - but most Otakus watch this kind of shows. I am an Otaku so what? Otaku is just a word describing someone with a strong interest in something. I am an anime Otaku, a manga Otaku, a tank Otaku, a science fiction Otako ... all at the same time. Otaku is just a Japanese term roughly equivalent someone that due to an especially strong interest in some part(s) of the world is taken as a an abnormal existence by the rest of the world.

So you are incorrectly using the term Otaku to insult someone which might not even have any connection to the show and might even not watch it. By using the term Otaku as an insult you are even insulting yourself since you are an Otaku too.

2. NEET is an English acronym for "Not in Education, Employment or Training". By using this term you are attacking all those which are unlucky enough not to be able to get a job due to economical situations, recessions and so on. At the moment I am an NEET but only because that due to financial reasons I was unable to continue college and my papers got stuck half way to the other side of the country in the university I was going to.

So: "Apologize to the Unemployed of the World! Baka!"

3. My youngest brother is enjoying NGNL! He has no idea what Otaku or NEET and is definitely not a part of any of those extremely wide social groups you mentioned. He also doesn't get any of the references but he still enjoys watching it. So you argument about it being a "targeted" anime is, by my opinion, invalid since I think that pretty much anyone can enjoy NGNL.

4. "The exception proves the rule". That are you rare haters to NGNL. Exception(s) that prove how good the show is.

Since there was no reply to this part of my previous post I am reposting it. I should probably have toned down the part about you being a nostalgic - mecha and old-shouens might be just your thing - but I really couldn't stand you attacking the show with such powerless and nonsensical arguments so I let my anger spill out in the post. But if the nostalgia part is true then please do as I asked in the last part of the first part of the quoted post.
May 17, 2014 7:27 AM

Nov 2012
As dumb as the show is, I gotta admit it's pretty entertaining. The humour sucks, the colour scheme is annoying to look at and the fanservice is just so immature, but the "strategies" (even if some of them are deus ex machinas) are pulled off with so much charisma that you can overlook the other stuff.
May 17, 2014 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
Miraclezify said:
As dumb as the show is, I gotta admit it's pretty entertaining. The humour sucks, the colour scheme is annoying to look at and the fanservice is just so immature, but the "strategies" (even if some of them are deus ex machinas) are pulled off with so much charisma that you can overlook the other stuff.

Exactly. I don't see a lot of people nitpicking how unrealistic Kill la Kill is, but I see a lot of people do that on NGNL, which clearly is a show that doesn't take itself seriously.
May 17, 2014 10:54 AM

Nov 2013
ligonis1337 said:
Miraclezify said:

Exactly. I don't see a lot of people nitpicking how unrealistic Kill la Kill is, but I see a lot of people do that on NGNL, which clearly is a show that doesn't take itself seriously.

But KlK saved anime yo.
May 17, 2014 5:06 PM

Sep 2013
ligonis1337 said:

I love when people just say "it doesn't take itself seriously, so basically every rule they set up and crushed right away even twice in the same episode is totally cool because of that".

Kill la Kill defies normal logic as we know it in the real world but atleast is serious enough to mostly follow its own set of rules in the universe which No Game No Life obviously doesn't.
May 17, 2014 5:18 PM
Oct 2012
TheLivingVirus said:
Kill la Kill defies normal logic as we know it in the real world but atleast is serious enough to mostly follow its own set of rules in the universe which No Game No Life obviously doesn't.

Actually both do. If you want to say otherwise, please provide an example.

The more you get into what the characters actually say, the more you realize that the writers of both series actually thought things through, that is why both are enjoyable to watch.
May 17, 2014 5:46 PM
Feb 2014
TheLivingVirus said:
ligonis1337 said:

I love when people just say "it doesn't take itself seriously, so basically every rule they set up and crushed right away even twice in the same episode is totally cool because of that".

Once again pls post an example which is not easily refuted like your last; you didn't even answer to my post anymore -.-, which is just rude, taking into account that you post the very same post you did before...
May 17, 2014 6:10 PM

Oct 2007
This is such a blatant time wasting ego trip trap some people are trying to set up. People need to stop kidding themselves that all not 100% positive assessments of the show are not "easily refutable". Its such a stacked bullshit position where there's no room for discussion because of course the opinion police are going to stand their ground and just keep countering with the idea that their position is irrefutable and anything that goes against it is the opposite. You're literally just wasting your time giving them the examples they demand cause nothing is going to change.

Takuan_Soho said:
TheLivingVirus said:

Actually both do. If you want to say otherwise, please provide an example.

The more you get into what the characters actually say, the more you realize that the writers of both series actually thought things through, that is why both are enjoyable to watch.

I actually pretty much agree with this. This show pretty much is the kill la kill of the season riding a major hype wave while mainly just being dumb fun. I personally find Kill la Kill more palatable in the long run both yeah both shows kind of rode that "epic show" in your face hype wave to major popularity on MAL. No doubt the threads were pretty much the same too.

Anyway that's all I'm trying to say, I'm sure people will find some way to take serious offense to it and tell me what a horrible human being I am for not having an absolutist position again.
PeacingOutMay 17, 2014 6:17 PM
May 17, 2014 6:19 PM

Feb 2014
I hate this show. I dropped it after episode 5.
... and yet I watched episode 6.
It's just got that drawing power.
No matter how bad it might get, you still want to see just how bad it can get.
May 17, 2014 11:42 PM
Dec 2012
gamer5 said:
gamer5 said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
rederoin said:
TheLivingVirus said:
letswrok said:
just watch episode 6
recreated the scene perfectly from the book
the absurd settings and the details of the world is really well done

Yeah, that absurd that they broke their own rule within the show and took around 33 seconds because they had to include moaning naked girls.

The match should have already been over. It has been over 30 seconds.

It's as if the writers themselves don't even care about this shit anime.

Its written by 1 person, genius.

Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
It's pretty clear that the show is primarily over the top wish fulfillment empowerment stuff for NEET otaku where you're along the ride with the main duo that represents said demographic and which never loses and always gets it's way in the end.

Actually our demographic is: "those who enjoy shows that cause posers to work their panties into a bind trying so hard to prove that they are too enlightened to enjoy just mere entertainment and wish that all shows were as bold and wonderful as 'Aku no Hana'".

Granted the show itself is a lot of fun, but the complainers are like the frosting or exactly the cherry on top.

Pretty much.

I do want to add that this show is clearly not aimed at NEET, because they don't have any fucking money.
It just shows that somebody is trying to come up with baseless insults towards the target demographic.

Ofcourse, if this was made by Sunrise, he'd be praising it into the high heavens.

Nope. For example I currently have this rated the same as Love Live. Both shows have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not some studio fanboy for Sunrise, I just think they have a better track record than most.

@Caleb: That's true but if I do that which I'm admittedly kind of trying to it kind of excludes it from that ZOMG Masterpiece reaction that a lot of people are having. Basically as I keep trying to explain I'm weighing strengths and weaknesses here and the show just kind of comes out kind of average. Also I think part of the problem here is some people can't tell the difference between criticisms and insults. Too some people any sort of criticism of some shows is seen as insulting the audience For example when I call something otaku pandering I'm basically saying I can't see any other purpose to an element in a show or what its doing than just trying to appeal to otaku sensibilities and reflex reactions. To others maybe they don't see at that way I don't know but for me those aspects and sometimes entire episodes just arent working for me.

I cloud argue about the fact that most of the shows that you ranked as masterpieces in your list are far less attractive, at least to me, then other shows. I meant they are mostly old shouen-styled heroic anime or mecha, personally I find mecha shows to be nonsense from the standpoint of military science and the probable engineering issues of making such mech (are the people making this trying to insult my knowledge of military and engineering I wonder when I see mechs), the future is at least for the few next few decades in RC and advanced battlefield integration, not mechs usually armed with non-realistic weapons for their size, or bluntly idiotically big ones.
On the other hand the only newer things high in the ratings are retro-styled anime or mecha shows ... so I am wondering how objective can one be when he is almost clearly a nostalgic b*****d which to me looks like he would like that anime making remained stoned in the last decade of the previous millennium. (So nostalgic that he actually uses a Dragon Ball character's name for his nickname).
It is the good old "things were better when I was a child" non sense I hear from all the people older then me. If you are one of them and if things were really so much better in the past then why don't you just leave us, the generations of today and tomorrow alone and sit quietly in a corner together with your nostalgia.

The comment that Takuan quoted sounds like a freaking insult to me - it shows that you think that the show is something that is not.

1. Yeah a nice portion of people watching this are Otakus - but most Otakus watch this kind of shows. I am an Otaku so what? Otaku is just a word describing someone with a strong interest in something. I am an anime Otaku, a manga Otaku, a tank Otaku, a science fiction Otako ... all at the same time. Otaku is just a Japanese term roughly equivalent someone that due to an especially strong interest in some part(s) of the world is taken as a an abnormal existence by the rest of the world.

So you are incorrectly using the term Otaku to insult someone which might not even have any connection to the show and might even not watch it. By using the term Otaku as an insult you are even insulting yourself since you are an Otaku too.

2. NEET is an English acronym for "Not in Education, Employment or Training". By using this term you are attacking all those which are unlucky enough not to be able to get a job due to economical situations, recessions and so on. At the moment I am an NEET but only because that due to financial reasons I was unable to continue college and my papers got stuck half way to the other side of the country in the university I was going to.

So: "Apologize to the Unemployed of the World! Baka!"

3. My youngest brother is enjoying NGNL! He has no idea what Otaku or NEET and is definitely not a part of any of those extremely wide social groups you mentioned. He also doesn't get any of the references but he still enjoys watching it. So you argument about it being a "targeted" anime is, by my opinion, invalid since I think that pretty much anyone can enjoy NGNL.

4. "The exception proves the rule". That are you rare haters to NGNL. Exception(s) that prove how good the show is.

Since there was no reply to this part of my previous post I am reposting it. I should probably have toned down the part about you being a nostalgic - mecha and old-shouens might be just your thing - but I really couldn't stand you attacking the show with such powerless and nonsensical arguments so I let my anger spill out in the post. But if the nostalgia part is true then please do as I asked in the last part of the first part of the quoted post.

Still no reply - are all the arguments I gave to powerful for you to defeat?

And trust me I am not on the hype train - I discovered NGNL trough the manga and then I read the LNs - quickly enjoying the series. Watching the anime has more with me being a fan of the series then anything else.

I think it it only natural for us fans to try to defend the series from negative comments if we think there is an issue with them. How would you react if someone attacked something that you really like?
May 18, 2014 2:06 AM

Aug 2012
@ gamer5

Seems like they are, but don't worry about him.
He's one of those people you shouldn't discuss with, if your taste differs from his and he can't really deal with criticism or being wrong.
There are quite a few such people on MAL.
You seem relatively new to the forum, but you'll find out about them soon enough.
.................................................................................
May 18, 2014 3:36 AM

Sep 2013
Caleb8980 said:
TheLivingVirus said:
ligonis1337 said:

Once again pls post an example which is not easily refuted like your last; you didn't even answer to my post anymore -.-, which is just rude, taking into account that you post the very same post you did before...

"Easily refuted". Pft. I give you the first argument, it's debateable.
But as said in the other thread, when they were having a straight-forward conversation with Jibril it took them over 50 seconds to respond. Why even set up rules like that if you just break them anyway?

That's just immersion breaking.
May 18, 2014 4:01 AM

Apr 2013
Jody32 said:
I wonder if I'm the only person on MAL who has never played an MMO before. :

(You're not alone my friend)
Powerful eyebrows.
May 18, 2014 4:35 AM

Sep 2013
I never played an MMO before either. Don't worry.
May 18, 2014 4:36 AM
Mar 2014
I've played a few in the past. You are not losing out on anything, trust me.
May 18, 2014 12:01 PM

Oct 2007
Romedbaumann said:
@ gamer5

Seems like they are, but don't worry about him.
He's one of those people you shouldn't discuss with, if your taste differs from his and he can't really deal with criticism or being wrong.
There are quite a few such people on MAL.
You seem relatively new to the forum, but you'll find out about them soon enough.

If you're referring to me I already explained, I don't like having extended conversations with obnoxious twats that are guaranteed to go absolutely nowhere. All I could have to say is obviously "easily refutable" according to the fans of this show anyway so there's literally no point. It's been made abundantly clear by the Gamer5's Takuan's and other defensive and ad hominem types of the forum. I could type 100 words, a 1000 words or even 10,000 words of personal opinion and examples of things I do and don't like about this show and you can be absolutely guaranteed that anything I say in the positive will be allowed to stand unchallenged even it in and of itself as factually wrong while anything negative will be "easily refuted" so there's literally no point and it's a total waste of time. If people want to stroke it to themselves and claim they've won sort of great argument that's cool though, obviously they need that bit of ego boost for their time more than I feel like wasting mine running through old episodes of this show looking for things I care to talk about at an extended length.

Again the really funny thing is I don't hate the show which people seem utterly incapable of grasping since in todays online fandom you're either all in or all out on something with no room for personal positions and interpretations. Really I just don't understand why people have to act like this over some popular stuff out there. It just shows an astonishing lack of maturity that some people are freaking out and chest thumping over what they see as some sort of need to triumph over the perceived haters of No Game No Life.

Anyway to have a less stupid conversation with more adjusted people hopefully, I'm not sure where the subject started, but I've played a few MMO's and it gets old for me pretty fast at least. The one I've played the most is probably FFXIV which I have one friend who is completely addicted to it, but which I stopped playing regularly after a couple of months and now only play maybe once a week maybe for a few hours, which probably isn't enough to make the subscription worth it. I just kind of got bored of it after a while.
PeacingOutMay 18, 2014 12:06 PM
May 18, 2014 1:19 PM

Nov 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Again the really funny thing is I don't hate the show which people seem utterly incapable of grasping since in todays online fandom you're either all in or all out on something with no room for personal positions and interpretations. Really I just don't understand why people have to act like this over some popular stuff out there. It just shows an astonishing lack of maturity that some people are freaking out and chest thumping over what they see as some sort of need to triumph over the perceived haters of No Game No Life.

If you want to call people less mature. I advice you stop keep bashing the fanbases of shows you don't like. Its rather hypocritical.
rederoinMay 22, 2014 11:38 AM

May 22, 2014 11:20 AM
Jul 2018
rederoin said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

If you want to call people less mature. I advice you keep bashing the fanbases of shows you don't like. Its rather hypocritical.

I don't think you even understood anything of what he said.
May 22, 2014 11:37 AM

Nov 2011
ligonis1337 said:
rederoin said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

If you want to call people less mature. I advice you stop keep bashing the fanbases of shows you don't like. Its rather hypocritical.

I fully understood him, he pulls the same shit all the time.

May 22, 2014 12:09 PM

Nov 2013
rederoin said:
ligonis1337 said:
rederoin said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Which is why no one should respond to him.
May 22, 2014 12:21 PM

Nov 2011
you don't need to have experience with mmo to enjoy the series, though it surely helps if you can get the anime/game references (references such as Evangelion and Doraemon, which shouldn't be too hard to spot if you've watched plenty of anime)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 22, 2014 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
rederoin said:
ligonis1337 said:
rederoin said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Ehh my failed attempt to troll failed. I suppose he's used to being an irritating ass in these forums?
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 5:11 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 2:47 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

622 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 21, 5:21 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.