Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]
Oct 22, 2023 3:18 PM

Aug 2018
Just finished this anime, and wow...
I don't know, P.A. Works always has a certain why to develop the stories of their school drama/romance animes that I just love, and this anime was no exception.
Seeing the sea village reunite with the land village was so emotional. And that last scene with Manaka and Hikari ='). Also, the scene when Chisaki sees her parents for the 1st time in the last 5 years, it just brought some tears to my eyes honestly. This episode was a rollercoaster of emotions!
In the end, we got Manaka x Hikari, Chisaki x Tsumugu, and a possibility for Sayu x Kaname. Not my original ships for the show, but those have sank a long time ago, and I actually really enjoyed the way the anime ended. Was a bit worried they would just make Miuna de sacrifice and move on, but they actually managed to make a proper ending with no need for a sacrifice. I also liked how they just didn't thrown Miuna to that boy that confessed to her at last minute as a consolation prize.
I really loved the metaphor of someone without the feeling of love being like a lull in the sea (roll credits), because, at the end of the day, the ability to love someone is what gives us a spark to live. Also, the way Miuna understood that the best way to deal with the unrequited love for Hikari was actually helping him be happy by the side of Manaka that loves him was emotional, and that pain she felt, was, once again, something important for her own character development, just like how the sea was full of different sensations.
This anime delivered everything, visuals, good OST and an amazing plot. That time skip in the middle, for me, was what made this anime stand out from similiar ones of the same genre, and made me love it so much more, and added so many layers to the story, and I was honestly not expecting it to happen.
The only negative aspect I have to point out to this anime was the lack of development of Tsumugu, and partially Kaname too. Tsumugu was a character I was really curious about, but then his backstory was quite lackluster, and at the end I didn't really understand why he wasn't on good terms with his parents (yeah, they moved to the city, but he just ignored his mom on that earlier episode). For me that's what bother me the most in this anime, Tsumugu could have been a much more interesting character for the story, if they just developed him more. I also felt that Kaname was kind of put to the side a lot in the 1st part of the anime, and at the beginning of the 2nd part.

At the end of the day, I'm so glad I was able to watch this anime, I loved it so much, and I just couldn't stop watching! But I'm also sad that it ended, and I was really considering not watching the last episode for the time being. It's 2023, 10 years after its release, and this anime hits as hard as it did in 2013. This could have been released now, and I wouldn't even doubt it was a 2023 anime. When an anime can make you interested in a set of characters and appeal to your emotions, than you know the anime is good, and Nagi no Asukara is one of those animes. Will forever be sad about my sunk ship Manaka x Tsumugu, but this anime was just a delight to watch. In a way, it kind of reminds of P.A. Works other anime Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara, that use some similair plot topics, but this one was just able to expand more in the topics it approached.

For me, this anime is a solid 10/10, and I would be super down for a OVA or some special episode, that developed some of the side characters, Tsumugu, or even a special episode that showed their everyday life after everything that happened! I can totally see myself rewatching this in the future, I already miss it!
Dec 23, 2023 9:05 PM

Sep 2021
Re-watched this as I forgot how it ended. The ending is rather forgettable, in my opinion.

I actually liked the first cour more than the second after re-watching this after so many years. I think I preferred the second cour previously. While the first cour did not develop Tsumugu's character that much (more like not at all), it had a better focus on all the other characters compared to the second cour. I had some sense that maybe Tsumugu liked Chisaki in the first cour after seeing their interactions but wasn't really sure. That aside, I feel like Manaka played almost no role at all in the second cour even though the latter part of it was more focused on resolving her issue.

The second cour is more about accepting changes in the heart over the years and the complexities of love of people who have moved on and those who have not (due to being in hibernation). Feels bad for Kaname (before he found out about Sayu's feelings); it was never going to work out now that Chisaki is of college/university age while Kaname is still in middle school (although they are only 5 years apart technically but still, its probably more of a current age issue instead of an age gap issue). I wish the second cour had a little more focus on Manaka as she helped liven things up in the first cour.

The first cour just felt...more emotionally-filled and fulfilling, in contrast to the second cour where it felt like most of the characters are just brooding over this and that. Which is why I prefer the first cour now after the rewatch.

Overall, beautiful series but forgettable second part and ending.
Apr 3, 12:02 AM

Aug 2014
Its now been 10 years since this final episode 26 aired on April 03, 2014 (Im writing this on April 03, 2024)

I am very surprised that there has not been an OVA or specials done for this anime after it ended 10 years ago.

As for the positives and the negatives:

Positives:

1- The atmosphere after the timeskip is really awesome; its both calmed and depressing, which makes it captivating. How the world changed with more snow is awesome.

2- You remember the characters, mainly because of the second half of the anime. You feel for the characters in the second half, their romance struggle, etc.

3- Outstanding graphics and outstanding background music.

4- The scenery of them living by the sea, in a worn out looking small town, especially with the snow around in the second half, is really captivating.

5- All the characters had chemistry with each other when they interacted with one another.

6- This anime has amazing cinematography.

7 - This anime in the second half, it just has something captivating about it, that immerses you in the anime. But this is only for the second half.

8 - In the second half, the trio of Chisaki - Miuna - Sayu, all three of them become high quality girls; all three of them becoming girlfriend material, that you root for all three of them.

Negatives:

1- The first half of the anime, while it does have many themes, its just child drama at the end of the day, and many times in the first half, I either like what im seeing or I just find myself zoning out; And sometimes this first half was just boring. Had this anime just been about this time-period with no timeskip, Asukara would not have been remembered.

2- In the second half, due to the non-progression of the romance, the anime can get annoying. And the problem with stalling the romance in a romance anime is that there will come a point when each episode loses its spark and youll stop caring with whats going on. Romantic-progress-teasing can only last for so long before youll stop caring for it.

3- This anime is 26 episodes, so you would expect great romance payoff. BUT the romance payoff was just meh. Like can we see more romance progress much sooner in the anime, and not wait till like episode 23 for romance progression. And can we get a kiss at least from one of the main possible couples.

4- How Kaname and Chisaki closed each other's chapters just felt so meh. What I mean is that after episode 13 of when Chisaki forgot about Kaname on the boat and decided to hug Tsumugu with Kaname watching heartbroken, I thought that was going to be one of the main dramas in the second half, but this boat scene was never mentioned again in the anime, like it never happened. This boat scene discussion between Chisaki and Kaname was one of the things I was looking for the most in the second half but it was never brought up.

With all that said above, GIVE US ONE MORE OVA/SPECIAL EPISODE EPILOGUE POST EPISODE 26!!!!
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

385 by Wishimog »»
Feb 18, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

353 by trabeus1 »»
Jan 18, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

431 by Redcher »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:48 AM

» Your emotions throughout?

sorames - Jun 8, 2023

12 by mo_lave »»
Sep 26, 2023 8:10 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2014

412 by Redcher »»
Sep 26, 2023 5:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.