Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 7, 2009 9:40 AM

Mar 2008
Great episode, i really hoped the producers would not include Isara's death in the anime, but well, i was wrong ;(
Anyway, i'm a bit surprised at Welkin's reaction, he is so cold now... I think i hated him a bit in this episode. I hope he'll be back to his senses soon.
Aug 7, 2009 12:16 PM

Apr 2009
Welkin was such a masochist in this episode...
Aug 7, 2009 5:08 PM

Jun 2007
Faldio left a bitter taste in my mouth because of what he did in the past episodes but this episode takes the cake. I'm pretty sick of the way his character does not change at all, even when he makes a huge mistake he still acts like an innocent douche. Sure Welkin needed a punch/smack but Faldio did it for the wrong reason (ie. Welkin indirectly said your here because I made Alicia cry and not because your concerned about me).

I give Faldio props for stopping group 7 from making a big mistake but I think he could have handled interacting with Welkin a lot differently. I'm hopping Faldio gets what he deserves later on. If he doesn't I'll be highly disappointed.
Aug 7, 2009 5:44 PM

Nov 2008
Perplex said:
rutix said:
TBH i can see and understand why welkin acts this way. He thinks that he cant show his sadness and inside he is blaming himself. So without going all emo (like some ppl would like to call it) he focusses himself on his job as commander. Everyone has his own means to deal with death but its a good thing faldio punched him when welkin went too far.

my words exactly. Welkin isn't emo or behaves like an "ass".

I think it's a natural reaction over the death of the dearest person to him, that he emotionally closeds himself towards his squad. Especially Alicia on who he has a crush.
Aug 7, 2009 8:20 PM

Jun 2009
Great ep. Nice to see the overall tapesty of grief presented maturely.

The punch was definitely the perfect ending as I'm sure, even from the funeral scene, that Welkin was wishing someone would do that.
Aug 8, 2009 5:17 AM

Jul 2008
Easily the best episode of the series so far. Isara's death had quite the impact on Squad 7. I'm liking this hardened Welkin a bit more, although he is putting way to much pressure on himself. Like Alicia said, his actions will distance himself from his squad which is what I think he wants to do so that he won't be so affected if he loses anyone else. Alicia confessed to Welkin, and I guess he messed up yet again, but this time it really couldn't be helped. And that General Damon, what a stupid oaf. But the episode was sad, and I was rather impressed with the Isara "last moments" scene. This episode has elevated VC for me.
Aug 8, 2009 9:03 AM

Nov 2008
Nice job with the first scene showing before the OP. You know it's a srs ep when that happens.
Also loved the flashbacks showing the aftermath of Isara's death at the battle. Poor, poor Rosie! I used to dislike Rosie but she's battling Alicia for the second favorite spot right now.
Lulz was had when Alicia confessed, since it's so cliche and sudden. And Welkin...didn't really care. He's going through a bit of a Heroic BSoD right now.
This is my favorite ep now, followed by 17, and then whatever episode had Ellet trying to interview Welkin because Ellet is awesome \o/

To whoever made the FALDIO PAUNCH joke a page back or so, I love you because that's what I totally said when I saw the ep.
Aug 8, 2009 5:57 PM

Jul 2007
I noticed how much they changed from the game, and the entire time this episode and last I was like "You guys changed a lot, please don't decide to suddenly not change one of the biggest shocks in the game." Well...Sad, and glad to say, they didn't. :-( Loved how they added more emotional impact to it then the game. But, props for making Damon more of a douche and points to Squad 7 for not deciding to Falcon Punch him in the face when he was in the garage. Isara will be missed, and her replacement I couldn't care less about in the game and in the anime.
Aug 8, 2009 9:45 PM

Nov 2007
Internal strife, Damon is an ass he deserved that punch not Welkin, although Welkin's self-pitying attitude it understandable but he has got to get up and start acting like usual, final confirmation that Alicia is related to the Valkyrie line with the ragnite stone scene wonder what will come of this.
Aug 9, 2009 6:50 AM
Aug 2008
Well well..it seems like Welkin had lost his composure and is split between a conflict with his personal and commander life. Presumably, he seems to be clueless in romance despite his proficiency in being awareness of his surroundings when it comes to battles, staying on the reclusive side while feeling guilty himself after observing Faldio approaching Alicia multiple times. By regressing to a professionalized state, he had distanced himself a little from his comrades, yet gives him an inexcusable excuse for continuing on his life without worrying about his personal affairs. When Welkin is confronted, it seems as though he cares for his friendship with Faldio and Alicia very much and respects Faldio's feelings but neglects Alicia's feelings for him in order to not undo their friendship, however Faldio seeing him with contempt due to his self-regressing state and unstable interpersonal life wishes to throw a punch at him in order for Welkin to come to a self-realization of what he needs to do and be. Isara's death provoked certain feelings of animosity when the general belittles Isara's insignia despite his corrupted (as hinted with his behavior of carelessness for the militia and meetings with the emperor) status and attitude (that should cause the audience to hate him too) yet Welkin acknowledging this tries to stay fortified in order to not undermine their achievements and progression. Rosie comprehends that Welkin's achievements or victories is not fault however it leaves Squad 7 to be susceptible to attention. Rosie's past was to be expected a mile away for all behavior of discrimination is influenced and constructed by the interactions with their past environment.

Alicia falling into a pensive state at often times than decides to confess to Welkin at an inopportune time, needless to say, Welkin stays indecisive and Alicia runs off again regretting her actions while attempting to suppress her feelings - though it is already hinted at the OP of their future. The ragnite glows in response to her tears, which foreshadows a connection with the Valkyrie's backstory and the OP also hints that with her battling the azure witch. Not bad for an episode, some variation and uncertainties would be nice.

Aug 9, 2009 7:00 AM

Sep 2007
I liked it. Thought Isara's death was handled a lot nicer than other deaths in other series were. And I also liked how it wasn't flashback-centric. There were enough flashbacks to convey what had happened but that was it. But I didn't like how the episode ended so...strangely. Just, Faldio punching Welkin and hi there ED! And like others said, Alicia's confession was a little rushed. And I'm also tired of Rosie singing.
Aug 9, 2009 8:49 AM

Mar 2009
What a tear-jerker, I wasn't expecting Isara to die on us.

At the same time I'm not surprised at how cold Welkin has become. It's pretty clear that (for lack of a better word) he sucks when it comes to his emotions. Welkin is especially bad with women, and seems to confused as to what to do about Alica. After Isara died Welkin is all alone when it comes to family. (In that regard he's not much different from Alica now.) Instead of letting his emotions run free he's decided that the best thing to do would be to repress them and bear all of Squad 7's burdens. While Welkin feels this may be the best thing to do in the end he's just making matters worse. I felt a sense of satisfaction when Faldio punched him.

I had been waiting for Alicia to slap him but that never happened. After Faldio saw that Welkin had made Alicia cry I was half-expecting him to storm into Welkin's room and punch him, instead he stopped Squad 7's foolish actions. Then he punched Welkin, good enough for me.

Finally, I do have some faith in the writers ability to turn Welkin's confused state around in the next eight episodes. Unless he's completely clueless there's nothing like a confession from a girl that you possibly like (but can't admit it to yourself), a punch to the face from your best friend, and perhaps the fear of losing someone else to turn your thinking around. In short, I still have hope for Welkin. If the series ends with him remaining emotionally repressed and confused, then I'll put him up there among the worst protagonists-- right along with Shinji from Evangelion. :p
Aug 9, 2009 1:30 PM
May 2009
A very sad Episode
I like how they paced Welkin,because the others side that was shown off him
And Damon,yeah,he sucks as always

Looking forward to the next Episodes through the Actions in this Episode,it brought The Epiosde mor than a bit forward
Aug 9, 2009 2:15 PM

Mar 2008
God this was such a sad episode. I still can't believe Isara is dead. I really can't.
I somehow thought she would survive. If only she did.
But oh my how I feel sorry for Welkin! His precious imoto died? I would cry and cry. I really don't get it how can he hold it. I couldn't hold it.
And Alicia confessed! Oh my! I have to say I was waiting for that. Maybe Faldio's punch will help Welkin. I hope. Coz Alicia must be depressed too coz the guy she loves is in pain. Anyway such a good episode! Can't wait for 19!
Aug 9, 2009 9:44 PM

Jul 2009
Welkin will change when Alicia died..but if Alicia died than this series will be finished..

Wow nice review Vegeance, it's long so i won't quote it..

Welkin..he is not stupid or bad person...he is just confussed, well of course with his duty as 7th's squad commander, Faldio's feeling towards Alicia, Isara's death, and now Alicia's feeling towards him..give him some space..he will die young, just too much in his head right now, not to mention the animal.

There is manga for this anime? i thought it's based only on Game
Aug 10, 2009 6:24 AM

Nov 2008
Laevantein said:

There's two manga -- one's based around some original characters, and the other is more based from the game.
Aug 10, 2009 10:33 AM

Jul 2009
kariohki said:
Laevantein said:

There's two manga -- one's based around some original characters, and the other is more based from the game.
Oh i didn't know that..where i can find it? is there any scan for this manga?
Aug 10, 2009 11:16 AM

Nov 2008
Laevantein said:
Oh i didn't know that..where i can find it? is there any scan for this manga?

There's scans for the first volume of the one based off of the game. Haven't seen anything else.
Aug 12, 2009 2:19 AM

Jun 2008
Sad episode. :'(
Aug 17, 2009 4:29 AM

Aug 2009
DAMN IT THIS SUCKS! Screw you fucking demons! Make death appear everywhere! Screw you eimperial asses! I hate the fact Isara is death!

Aug 19, 2009 9:45 PM

Jun 2008
A sad episode about the death of Isara.

But personally am now more interested to see some Valkyria powers in to the mix. Unfortunately i saw no such thing from the preview and it seems that they are starting to over do it with the slow rhythm. We have only 8 episodes and it seems that we haven't seen anything yet.
The only hint in this episode was the glowing rock.
Aug 19, 2009 9:55 PM

Aug 2009
Monad said:

But personally am now more interested to see some Valkyria powers in to the mix. Unfortunately i saw no such thing from the preview and it seems that they are starting to over do it with the slow rhythm. We have only 8 episodes and it seems that we haven't seen anything yet.

Don't worry there is to be a second season so that might answer what was not answered yet.

Aug 19, 2009 11:58 PM

Jun 2008
Belum_Nabum said:
Monad said:

Don't worry there is to be a second season so that might answer what was not answered yet.

Really?Is it confirm? Well if there is a second season then that will be good.
Aug 20, 2009 12:58 AM

Sep 2007
Best episode so far, and best punch ever. He deserves it! =D

Aug 20, 2009 9:47 AM
Nov 2008
ALRIGHT! GO FALDIO for punching welkin..he deserved it....a very sad episode and Welkin acted like a big ass...
Aug 22, 2009 6:04 PM
Jul 2018
daniking79 said:
Such a sad and tragic episode! Cried the whole way through. Poor Ramel.

This. :(

I absolutely loved Rosie singing Isara's favorite Darcsen song.
Aug 22, 2009 7:06 PM

Aug 2009
SNSD said:
daniking79 said:
Such a sad and tragic episode! Cried the whole way through. Poor Ramel.

This. :(

I absolutely loved Rosie singing Isara's favorite Darcsen song.

Yes, it was very honorous of her indeed.

Aug 24, 2009 8:53 AM

Feb 2008
Great comments on this episode thread. ^^

I agree with most of the people: Very sad but "necessary" episode.
Sep 3, 2009 8:50 AM
Sep 2009
Can someone please PM me the name of the Darcsen song rosie sings?
I really really really want the song!!!!!!! Pretty please????
Sep 12, 2009 11:53 AM

Jul 2008
so welkin became totally cold. dont know if its such a good development. isaras death itself wasnt that sad for me, but when rosie told it. it was sooo ...
but now the tension between faldio and welkin is getting worse. man i wished i played the game^^, if i had a ps3 i woudl buy it now!!!

Sep 15, 2009 10:06 AM

Mar 2009
Kiseki said:
so welkin became totally cold. dont know if its such a good development. isaras death itself wasnt that sad for me, but when rosie told it. it was sooo ...
but now the tension between faldio and welkin is getting worse. man i wished i played the game^^, if i had a ps3 i woudl buy it now!!!

You can also watch the game on youtube. Isara's death scene was more sadder & a tear jerker especially when Rosie sang at her funeral.
Sep 15, 2009 11:56 PM

Jul 2008
i can't believe isara is really dead, she was one of my fav characters in this anime; and i hope they get that general guy back soon
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Oct 4, 2009 12:22 PM

Jun 2008
*sniff*

R.I.P. Isara

She was my favorite character in this anime, still can't believe she died. :*( I started to tear up half way through the episode, such emotion they put into it.

And wow Alicia confessed to Welkin!
Dec 4, 2009 3:39 PM

Apr 2009
She was too young... thats sad.
General signed his own death. Damn bastard !
Feb 6, 2010 7:03 AM

Aug 2008
Isara's death is too sad...
Feb 25, 2010 7:23 AM

Nov 2008
Wtf why did isara have to die?The author should just have continue without having her to die,like any other anime a shot in the chest wouldn't kill the character....
Mar 10, 2010 12:44 AM

Mar 2007
VegaPunk said:
Wtf why did isara have to die?The author should just have continue without having her to die,like any other anime a shot in the chest wouldn't kill the character....

You have no idea how many would rage if that ever happened. Thats why i like this show its not like typical gay anime.

Back to topic:
last episode didnt make me baww, but this episode made me baww for the whole 22 minutes. Finally get to see how the reactions would unfold in anime form. It was perfect in my eyes. I guess its something some speech boxes cant compete with.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Apr 22, 2010 3:13 PM
Mar 2010
best episode of the series?? mhmh perhaps... it's very sad episode... but such an emotional intensity that earns half a point in the entire series (the half point that the series lost after ep.10-14)
Ohhh I told you there would be a scene like the last of this episode.... ahahah if you don't believe me, see few episode topic ago..... last note of this episode: Alicia admits!! but in a time when Welkin is very fragile psychologically, what happen now???
Apr 26, 2010 2:04 AM

Feb 2010
God Dammit. . . . . . ... :'(

wow...... what an emotionally charged ep. R.I.P. Isara

you know.. Welkin is making me sick... first hes an imbecile, then hes a coward, then a cold hearted bastard, and now Isara is KIA...He is freaking going to crack. Before her death I wanted to slug him, now I just dunno.... I half pity him, half hate him, and a tiny smidgin just want him to curl up and die, but then that would hurt Alecia, esp since she confessed her love for him... I'm at a total loss here....
We will never forget those that have fallen for our freedom!
Jun 5, 2010 7:46 AM

Jan 2010
Great punch at the end, but really sad episode :(
~ Go bald, Kurosaki! ~
Jul 2, 2010 8:00 PM

Sep 2008
Depressing episode... Great, but depressing. It was so sad but sweet when Rosie sang for Isara. )': And I definitely feel bad for Ramal. Things were going so well before...

And I wish Welkin would be a little bit more expressive. Everyone's clearly hurting, so he doesn't need to act as though he isn't. She was his sister - he's ALLOWED to be sad, isn't he? :\ Though I guess I can sort of get why he's acting the way he is...
Aug 22, 2010 3:22 PM
Nov 2009
does anyone know the name of the song that rosie sang?
Sep 12, 2010 10:43 PM
Jul 2009
That sniper was lame. He should have at least injured Rosie (some more) to justify her stay in the infirmary.
Jun 6, 2011 10:53 PM

Apr 2009
What a slow episode but I had moments when I got little misty eyed here and there.

Somebody skewer that pig Damon and put it on a fire pit! >_<
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 8, 2011 6:18 AM

Apr 2009
Not only did Welkin had that punch coming, he needed it too. If he just went on shouldering everything and keeping all those emotions to himself, the pressure building up inside him would blow up one day, and when that happens, things are going to get really ugly, because he's the commander. I am unable to comment on Alicia's confession.

That dishonorable scumbag of a general needs to get the hell of an asskicking soon if he isn't dying yet. I'm surprised he's still alive, that enemy general who was a slightly better character than him died earlier. Somehow, that preview music doesn't sound so appropriate now, I wish they could have changed it for even just a couple of episodes, it kind of ruins the mood.
Jan 4, 2012 12:54 AM

Jan 2011
DeathfireD said:
Faldio left a bitter taste in my mouth because of what he did in the past episodes but this episode takes the cake. I'm pretty sick of the way his character does not change at all, even when he makes a huge mistake he still acts like an innocent douche. Sure Welkin needed a punch/smack but Faldio did it for the wrong reason (ie. Welkin indirectly said your here because I made Alicia cry and not because your concerned about me).

I give Faldio props for stopping group 7 from making a big mistake but I think he could have handled interacting with Welkin a lot differently. I'm hopping Faldio gets what he deserves later on. If he doesn't I'll be highly disappointed.

LoL, what bias... WAKE UP, damn it! Faldio has been cleaning Welkin's messes all the time and you BLAME him for THAT?!? I see you like the "the main hero takes care of all" cliche storytelling but I for one am damn glad its not turing into this here. Faldio is one of the best support characters I've ever seen. Where have you seen him make mistakes?!? Do you blame him for the death of the Darcsens at Fouzen? Need I remind you that if they didnt charge back then, the Esen would have found them anyway and would have probably blown up the stolen tank way before that as well, and they would have lost the battle too?
Damn, I hate blind bias...
If Faldio gets what he deserves he will end up with Alicia. He more than deserves her for always looking out for her, helping her when asked/needed, he even saved her TWICE so far!Too bad that wont happen, cose she is clearly in love with the tree Welkin and I know how blind love can be. Hopefully Welkin will grow up so in the end he deserves to be with her too. That punch in the face is a damn good start.
AlexGKJan 4, 2012 1:04 AM
Dec 11, 2012 12:38 AM

Nov 2011
I added her as a favorite character 3 eps ago and now she's dead, that sucks. Even though a war series, the beginning was too lightherated and happy so her death took me by a big surprise.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 15, 2013 7:59 PM

Sep 2013
Welkin never shows emotion...

Damon is a Douche.

Welkin needed that punch.

A sad, but good ep.
Mar 13, 2014 10:57 PM

Apr 2011
I fucking loved this episode

it's sad that the rest of the series isn't on the same level as this episode (video games adaptations...) :/

and I can guess what will trigger alicia's "valkyria mode" in the future because of that glowing rock scene.
Apr 16, 2014 11:42 AM

Apr 2014
princess05 said:
does anyone know the name of the song that rosie sang?

Late date come across forum mistake but like so I join. But song called " Sora wa Aoi Mama" it old song but so is show and game. Sorry bad English I from Japan I come to US to go university I major biology before pre-med school and taking English as minor so will get better before I go home after my studies. love show and all anime but not like episode very sad.

Yumi san

アニメ 恋人
TanakaYumiApr 16, 2014 11:58 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» is the story complete in anime form?

NaughtySempai - Feb 2

8 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 3, 3:29 AM

» Never got dubbed?

searingdark - Sep 15, 2023

3 by Levo »»
Oct 26, 2023 4:12 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

daniking79 - Jul 4, 2009

76 by SSGHOKAGE »»
May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

japanme32 - Apr 11, 2009

101 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:26 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hazelnutman - Apr 4, 2009

156 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.