Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (13) « First ... « 11 12 [13]
Jan 30, 2009 9:43 AM

Nov 2008
Fullmetal alchemist Volume 1. Its pretty good but so far most of the events that happen I have seen in the anime.
Jan 30, 2009 10:07 AM

Feb 2008
Gokinjo Monogatari.

Tis awesome.
Jan 30, 2009 11:57 AM

Jan 2009
Imadoki
Yotsuba&!
Goong-Manhwa
Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden

Jan 30, 2009 7:48 PM

Jan 2009
Shugo Chara and Midnight secretary

Watching: Lain + Reading: Kimi ni Todoke
Jan 31, 2009 3:30 AM

Mar 2008
Tokyo Crazy Paradise
Jan 31, 2009 6:50 AM

Dec 2008
Beauty Pop. Is pretty good :)
Jan 31, 2009 5:29 PM

Dec 2008
Black God, or otherwise known as Kurohime.
Jan 31, 2009 5:34 PM

Mar 2008
Special A.
Right. Now.
Jan 31, 2009 6:37 PM
Jul 2008
Trying to read Katekyo Hitman Reborn.
Jan 31, 2009 6:59 PM

Jan 2009
I am reading Blame at the moment.
Jan 31, 2009 9:03 PM

May 2008
I'm reading Hidoku Shinaide.
Jan 31, 2009 9:11 PM

Jun 2008
Junjou Romantica and Sex Pistols. I likeit teh yaoi ^__^
Feb 1, 2009 12:10 AM

Apr 2008
07-Ghost, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, D.Gray-Man, and Vampire Knight...
Although not really, because I haven't seen new chapters for quite a while.
So I guess those don't really count.
So I guess I'm not actually reading anything at the moment.
I'm thinking of starting up Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE again...
And maybe Air Gear and Loveless...
Feb 1, 2009 2:02 AM

Jan 2008
Haseoxsasuke said:

kurohime and black god are 2 different mangas.....u mean black princess

hime=princess
kame=god

reading change123

Feb 1, 2009 12:24 PM

Apr 2008
kiraclyne said:
Haseoxsasuke said:

kurohime and black god are 2 different mangas.....u mean black princess

hime=princess
kame=god

reading change123

Well, actually god=kami, but you know, minor detail.
Feb 1, 2009 4:06 PM

Jun 2007
^ Kame = Turtle
Kami Kame = God Turtle

Genshiken: Volumes 2-5

Genshiken is a very odd series. You'd expect a series with a small amount of main characters, not a lot of variation in the backgrounds and lots of repetitive otaku fun to get boring after reading for awhile. But that isn't the case with Genshiken - whenever I open up one of the volumes, I find myself able to read the book from back to front without issue. Maybe it's because I'm into anime, manga and video games myself and, to certain extent at least, can relate to the cast? I don't know. All I know for sure is that the dialogue was very well written, the art was well drawn and the author just generally put a lot of effort into his work. As a series made for otaku by an otaku, it succeeds.

The only real negative comment I can throw at Genshiken is that a number of the characters don't come across as realistic. Some of them do, Madarame in particular coming across as very real, but I can't say the same about the best character in the story, Kasukabe, and her boyfriend Kousaka. It was a smart move by the author to attempt to link the lives of otaku to the the life of a normal, clothes loving woman because it made the story far more interesting and allowed people who aren't as crazy as the rest of the cast to connect to at least one character. However, it's hard to believe that, for a period of around 2.5 years (so far), a normal, good looking woman would hang around with a group of otaku when she doesn't even have much interest in what the rest of the group are into. And as for Kousaka, have you ever seen or heard of a real otaku that has sex appeal, doesn't wear glasses AND spends money on fashionable clothes? I rest my case. And as for his personality, he's just an airhead...or, put another way, he doesn't seem all the ticket. For a story that I assume is supposed to show the lives of realistic characters, the above two just don't fit.

I do love Kasukabe's character, though. Believable or not, she's hot and has the the sort of fiery personality usually reserved for red-heads. Her character alone made the series funny at first with her comments and general lack of understanding with regards to how obsessive anime/manga fans function. It was hard not to laugh when she had a discussion about her boyfriend deciding to switch positions during sex (doggy style, if interested) so that he could face the TV when an anime episode was on. Again, I have to question the believability since I find it hard (think anything twisted and you're a pervert) to imagine any male being able to focus on a TV screen whilst having sex with an attractive (ok, make that very fucking hot) woman...but that didn't make it any less funny. Her role has, sadly, become less important as the story has gone on and she's slowly become more accepting of the group she's, for some odd reason, spent a lot of time with for the last 2.5 years of her life... I hope she returns to prominence towards the end because the series just isn't as funny without her being in the middle of everything.

As for the rest of the cast, only Madarame, a true otaku, stands out. The rest of the characters have a quirk or two that separates them from each other but no real personality beyond those quirks. Madarame, on the other hand, comes across as a person as well as an otaku. He's had the 'camera' pointed at him a lot of time, more so than most others characters, and this has resulted in him receiving some decent development. The most interesting aspect of his character is the hidden feelings he has for Kasukabe - he hides how he feels because he knows she'll never return his feelings, which has allowed him to become more than just another otaku. One of the best chapters so far involved Madarame attempting to act normal when alone with her for the first time, with Kasukabe oblivious to the fact that he he was sweating like a pig and disn't know where to look or what to do in order to look normal. I hope the KasukabexMadarame episode from the anime I recall, where Madarame ran into Kasukabe away from the Genshiken club and got into an argument with her because he didn't speak to her due to her being with her 'normal' friends, doesn't turn out to be filler... I remember thinking it was the best episode.

...I've gone on for quite a bit, haven't I? Time to stop. To sum it up, Genshiken is one of the best manga I've read, more enjoyable to read than watching the anime adaptation, and it's well worth its high rating on MAL. Depending on the final 4 volumes, it might push its way into my top 5. I'm going to read 1 volume per day in order to allow time for the final volume to arrive, so I should finish reading the series before the weekend.
Feb 2, 2009 5:49 PM

Aug 2007
Im currently reading holic, Tsubasa and Rozen maiden.
Feb 3, 2009 5:04 AM

Feb 2008
Negima (surprise), just finished the fifth volumes so now I have to buy more :/
[fancy signature here]
Feb 3, 2009 12:40 PM

Feb 2008
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Melty Blood
Doubt
Mirai Nikki
Bleach

Relunx
Feb 4, 2009 8:29 PM

Jan 2009
Fairy Tail Vol.4
Feb 5, 2009 2:52 AM

Feb 2008
Help!
Claymore <3

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Feb 5, 2009 9:51 PM

Jun 2007
I'm up to volume 12 of Death Note (re-reading), volume 8 of Genshiken and I'm halfway through volume 3 of Archlord.

Death note is as excellent as ever. I'm noticing how lots of the dialogue seems to get repeated during the Mikami section of the story more than I did when I first read the manga but it's too well written not to love, no matter how long it goes on for before getting anywhere. I'll re-read the final volume later on today or the day after, and I'll move onto volume 13 after that.

Genshiken is still great to read - I read volume 6 & 7 together a few hours ago. I can see myself re-reading the series a few times in the future because of its readability. However, it's depressing me how the group are growing apart as they move onto getting jobs, some not even coming to the club anymore. It's also bothering me how Saki and Madarame have switched from main roles to supporting ones has the story as gone on, with the other less likeable characers taking over the main character roles. It had to happen in order for all of the Genshiken crew to get development, and their characters would've become dull had the story focused on them 24/7, but it lowers the quality of any story when the best characters aren't getting all the 'page time'.

Archlord is pretty much what I expected. It started very dark, telling a tale of a 'friend' betraying his leader for power in the first few chapters (it was a very good start), and then switched to being far more light-hearted story about the idiotic and cowardly son of the leader who was betrayed. As unoriginal and silly as this dark fantasy story has been up to yet, the art has been wonderful and made up for the story related flaws. I have found the artwork difficult to follow during action sequences, though - I'm often unsure if the white 'energy' shown when attacks are made are the direction the punches/kicks go in or if magic is being used.
Pages (13) « First ... « 11 12 [13]

More topics from this board

» Do you collect physical copies of manga?

DesuMaiden - Sep 6

43 by SkullKn1ght »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

450 by NUGAzz »»
Sep 18, 4:05 PM

» Action manga with few panels per page

Lineagon - Sep 18

1 by ScaryOwl »»
Sep 18, 1:51 PM

» Do you miss pre-webtoon era manhwa/manhua?

Eternal-Destiny - Sep 16

3 by MullerVon »»
Sep 18, 12:19 AM

Poll: » Anime Movies Question

ScaryOwl - Sep 15

8 by ghostsamurai »»
Sep 17, 3:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.