Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 15, 2014 1:28 AM

Jan 2014
I know 4 or 5 languages but only think in my first language or in English.
Feb 15, 2014 1:39 AM

Aug 2013
English is my native language. I only think in Spanish or French if I have an Spanish or French exam especially an oral exam. It's a while I haven't thought in Spanish or French because I haven't done them in a while academically.
Feb 15, 2014 4:17 AM

May 2012
I've read somewhere that one can be considered fluent in a second language when they can freely think in it without having to "translate"... so yeah.
Feb 15, 2014 5:08 AM

Apr 2011
Rarity said:
I've read somewhere that one can be considered fluent in a second language when they can freely think in it without having to "translate"... so yeah.

By that logic I'm influent in my native language :D When I'm speaking Turkish, sometimes a word comes to my mind in English first. Then I translate it from English to Turkish in my mind and say it.
Feb 15, 2014 5:39 AM

May 2013
80% of the time I use English, only 20% with my native language even though I still live here in our country. The reason is that I'm mostly online everyday and most of my friends are English speakers.
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Feb 15, 2014 5:49 AM

Aug 2012
I don't think in any specific language. It usually depends on what I am thinking at.

If I am thinking at very particular things like morality, politics or things like that, I don't think in any particular language. I simply think.

If I am thinking about someone here in Brazil, I think in Portuguese.

If I am thinking about something related to Internet (like MAL), it's usually English.

But most of times, I am not thinking in any language. I simply think, the ideas appear and disappear in my head, but not necessarily in Portuguese or English. When I am finished thinking, I usually discuss with myself. I express the idea to myself, I make up some arguments against my idea, and I make up arguments against those arguments. That, is usually Portuguese.
Feb 15, 2014 6:40 AM

Dec 2013
lupadim said:
I don't think in any specific language. It usually depends on what I am thinking at.

If I am thinking at very particular things like morality, politics or things like that, I don't think in any particular language. I simply think.

If I am thinking about something related to Internet (like MAL), it's usually English.

But most of times, I am not thinking in any language. I simply think, the ideas appear and disappear in my head, but not necessarily in Portuguese or English. When I am finished thinking, I usually discuss with myself. I express the idea to myself, I make up some arguments against my idea, and I make up arguments against those arguments. That, is usually Portuguese.

THAT'S SO DEEP!!!!!111

"After I finish fucking you. I am going to kill you."

Feb 15, 2014 11:52 AM

Aug 2012
JackFisher said:
lupadim said:

THAT'S SO DEEP!!!!!111
RIGHT?
Feb 15, 2014 1:14 PM
May 2013
Well, I speak German, Turkish, French and English. I don't speak much French but it's enough to to communicate with others. My English isn't that good either but it's enough... :P At least, I speak German and Turkish fluently.

#sweg
Feb 15, 2014 1:17 PM

Mar 2013
Siendo said:
Well, I speak German, Turkish, French and English. I don't speak much French but it's enough to to communicate with others. My English isn't that good either but it's enough... :P At least, I speak German and Turkish fluently.

#sweg
lol that doesnt answer the guys question. Thats jusdt you bragging about your linguistic skillz
Feb 15, 2014 1:20 PM

Jan 2014
Kyonyo said:
Have you ever thought that others are able to think in different languages? (Well people who can speak more than 1 language)

Yes. Anything else ?
-Having quotes as your signature is lame.

FuckOffTwat
Feb 15, 2014 1:36 PM
May 2013
Kaiju said:
Siendo said:

#sweg
lol that doesnt answer the guys question. Thats jusdt you bragging about your linguistic skillz

And that's why I did it. 8-)
Feb 15, 2014 1:40 PM

Nov 2013
I think more in English than my native language, mostly because almost everything I do is in English rather then Dutch.
All worship the great Tatsuya-nii-sama.
Kronie said:
Only those who are lost and empty seek guidance and fulfillment.
Feb 15, 2014 1:45 PM

Jan 2013
In fact i do think in more than one language but engrish is none of them.^^
Feb 15, 2014 2:14 PM

Jul 2011
If you are living / studying in the U.S. most of your thoughts tend to be in English because that's what you are exposed to on a daily basis. Most people I know (despite being fluent in many languages) never truly reach a scholar type proficiency in the language. What I mean to say is that I can know Spanish fairly well that I'd be able to communicate flawlessly with people in Spanish speaking countries in everyday speech; however, that doesn't necessarily mean I'd easily be able to express complex thoughts in Spanish. So it's rare (unless you're a language scholar) to have that level of comfort in two different languages, so most of the time you tend to think in the language which allows you the level of abstraction to formulate complex thoughts.
Feb 15, 2014 2:26 PM

Sep 2012
What do you call someone who can speak two languages? Bilingual.

What about three or more? Multilingual.

And only one?

An American.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Feb 16, 2014 1:08 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Samurnor said:
I think more in English than my native language, mostly because almost everything I do is in English rather then Dutch.

This. Though my native language is spanish.
Feb 16, 2014 4:31 AM

Jun 2012
Sourire said:
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
If you speak two languages you're called Bi-Lingual.
If you speak three languages you're called Tri-Lingual.
If you speak one language you're called an American.
lol'd

japanese= american
i think like 6% of japanese speak another language iirc
94% of japan is american
peace homes

i live in the wrong countries
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Feb 16, 2014 5:54 AM

Nov 2012
Regicide said:
Sourire said:
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
lol'd

most countries= american
i think like 6% of most countries speak another language iirc
94% of most countries is american
peace homes

Fixed?
Feb 16, 2014 6:20 AM

Jun 2012
tiro_finale said:
Regicide said:
Sourire said:
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
lol'd

most countries= american
i think like 6% of most countries speak another language iirc
94% of most countries is american
peace homes

Fixed?

no
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Feb 16, 2014 7:20 AM

Aug 2012
Regicide said:
Sourire said:
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
lol'd

japanese= american
i think like 6% of japanese speak another language iirc
94% of japan is american
peace homes

Japanese speaks English as well. You have no source to prove your point. I can't even call that conjecture. You fail.
Feb 16, 2014 7:26 AM

Mar 2013
First language which I have ever learned and heard was Vietnamese. Ironically I can't think in Vietnamese. At least not about deep stuff like meaning of life and shit like that. Yep.
Dutch is pretty much the language which I know the best and think the most in. I do catch myself using words from English sometimes, because I can't come up with the Dutch translation at that moment even though I do know exactly what it means. Oh and very rarely I use some German or Latin words.
Don't bother asking me about French, old Greek or Japanese. Because I either only know the grammar or just know a few words.
Feb 16, 2014 8:13 AM

Apr 2008
Kyonyo said:
Have you ever thought that others are able to think in different languages? (Well people who can speak more than 1 language)

No shit Sherlock. This is true of most multilingual people.

In my case I speak a few languages and I find I don't really think in any particular language, language to me seems cumbersome and unnecessary when thinking. I like to think using logic and articulate what I say in whichever language I wish to speak in.
Feb 16, 2014 9:14 AM

Nov 2013
I know five languages, and I am fluent in Three of them, which means I also tend to Think in those languages. I have been living in many different countries, and usually the language you hear around you often becomes the one you Think in aswell. It's easier if you don't have to translate it...
Feb 16, 2014 9:21 AM

Aug 2013
I spend a significant amount of my time interacting with non-Norwegians so I find myself thinking more in English a times.
Feb 16, 2014 3:08 PM

Aug 2013
I can think simple thoughts in another language. Because I know enough to string the words together properly. But, I'd like to someday be fluent.
Feb 16, 2014 6:27 PM

Aug 2013
i'm thinking more in english than my actual language dont know why though(perhaps because most of my freetime,i spend it in playing games,read manga,watch anime and browsing internet which is all use english)
Feb 16, 2014 6:51 PM

Nov 2008
I usually think in the language that i'm speaking (depends on the other end of the conversation). If i'm alone I tend to think in english since anime and manga are often translated into english. Would love to learn japanese one day.
Feb 16, 2014 11:06 PM

Nov 2008
I kinda have 2 native languages (cantonese+english), and i learnt japanese, latin and french later. I nearly always think predominantly in english,.. and my brain has seems to refuse to function in any other languages.

Oddly though, once my mind was blanking on a japanese word (which i then tried to think of in english and also failed), because my brain kept giving me the french word of the word i was looking for. (french is by far my weakest language btw) It was quite frustrating.
Feb 16, 2014 11:27 PM

Feb 2010
HaXXspetten said:
I tend to think more in English than my own native language when I'm home alone tbh

Same for me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 16, 2014 11:36 PM

Apr 2012
Yes........ I am able to think in Cantonese >.> My dad actually hates it when I speak English at home lool. However, English is my dominant language so my brain is fixated on that for the most part.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Are video games a waste of time and money?? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

58 by SmugSatoko »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these 6 sets of values sounds like you the most?

IpreferEcchi - 6 hours ago

3 by Rhae »»
51 minutes ago

» Plummeting Birthrates Is a Good Thing

vasipi4946 - 9 hours ago

10 by Kwanthemaster »»
1 hour ago

» Favorite animal?

Metalboy76 - 10 hours ago

19 by Kwanthemaster »»
1 hour ago

» Do Americans reproduce by mitosis?

Dije - 10 hours ago

22 by Kwanthemaster »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.