Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Mar 22, 2018 11:10 AM
Mar 2018
Kimi no nawa is seriously overrated. To be ranked as no.1 in romance? I was so excited to watch the movie, but i ended up very disappointed. When i think about it now, the animation and soundtrack was very enjoyable, but at that time when i watched it, i honestly just didn't notice all this, because i mainly focused on the romance i was supposed to see in it. Even so, the romance i had so many expections for - almost wasn't there. I didn't get how they fell in love with each other at all. The movie did not give any idea of what happened between them after the little time they got together in the end of the it. As the "no.1 romance anime", It was really disappointing. I really don't get how did it get to that rank, and i would recommend ranking it highly in another gener instead ( like adventure or idk what), but definitely not in romance.
Apr 19, 2018 3:08 PM

Jun 2017
Shaniatias said:
I didn't get how they fell in love with each other at all.

I'm a bit puzzled that there seem to be so many people questioning this. I thought it was kind of obvious - they got to know each other by living each other's lives, talking to their friends, through the notes they left for each other, and by the things they did for each other when they swapped bodies. For example, Taki stood up to the kids that were bullying Mitsuha. Mitsuha set Taki up on a date with a girl he liked but never would have approached on his own. If they physically teleported to each other's location instead of body swapping, and did those same things for each other, would anyone be questioning that they had developed feelings for each other?

Shaniatias said:
The movie did not give any idea of what happened between them after the little time they got together in the end of the it.

Was there any need to? It was pretty obvious that they were still searching for each other, even though they didn't remember each other. What else do you think could have happened? They decided to just run away in opposite directions?
Apr 20, 2018 1:28 AM
Jul 2011
Kimi no na wa slightly overrated?

More like vastly overrated.
Jul 9, 2019 2:17 AM
Jul 2019
It was masterpiece in my opinion . People always try to hate on things just because it mainstream and a lot of people like it. Visuals , story , music all of it was stunning in the movie
Jul 18, 2019 10:57 AM
Jul 2019
Rockpaperpenguin said:
It was masterpiece in my opinion . People always try to hate on things just because it mainstream and a lot of people like it. Visuals , story , music all of it was stunning in the movie

Completely agree. The irony of people that hate on things with mainstream appeal is that almost always overrate how bad the thing actually is.

That doesn’t mean nothing is overrated; rather, it means that films or TV shows with mainstream appeal will have a vocal minority that will denounce the film or TV show mainly because it was highly rated or very popular, regardless of the film or TV show’s actual quality. Their reasons for rating a show low often will be nitpicking on some plot detail or calling some element of it ‘generic’ or ‘cliche’. There are some people who offer genuine criticism of course; for example, I can see how people could view Mitsuha and Taki’s romance as forced, even though I think it’s a great love story, and a rather original approach to romance at that. I could see how people could dislike the soundtrack, though I thought it was fantastic and blended perfectly with the animation. I could see how people had issues with the pacing, even though I loved the pacing. But when the main crux of someone’s criticism leans on words like ‘cliche’, ‘generic’, or ‘predictable’, it’s usually a sign they’re riding the hate bandwagon instead of critically analyzing the film.

Criticism is cheap. There are flaws in everything. No work of art will be loved by everyone. Now can everyone just chill?
Jul 25, 2019 7:18 AM
May 2017
It is a bit overrated to me.

The romance development felt rushed, the VAs felt a bit off and seemed inexperienced for the 2 MCs, the OSTs are meh, and the ending was...lame.

Plus point for me : Story, animation, Senpai.
Rytakahashi09Jul 25, 2019 12:12 PM
Jul 25, 2019 7:26 AM
May 2019
Why because you said so. It's rated the way it should be. And the score does not matter anyway only enjoyment does.
So asking this type of questions Overrated/Underrated is ultimately pointless.
And it usually translates to I didn't agree with the score and I'm insecure in my own opinion so I want others to validated it please agree with me!😒😒😒😒😒
Jul 28, 2019 7:55 AM

Jul 2014
Some people just cant appreciate the movie for what its done, that or they're just too edgy to like a movie that casuals enjoyed so much, a typical elitist way of thinking. I cannot see how you can even hate this movie with how well produced its been and how Shinkai was able to fit a good teen mystery romance story in an almost 2hrs run time. I don't usually like these types of anime but theres a reason this grossed the amount it did. This was a great movie and I say a masterpiece for me.
Aug 4, 2019 10:52 AM

Oct 2012
Yup. It is overrated.
I had to force myself to watch it cuz it was boring for me. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece at all. I'd give it 7 at best. And I'd never like to watch it again. I've seen much better anime that I'd like to see otherwise in the top. Spirited Away movie for example more than deserves to be called a masterpiece in the top.

I think it is kind of cringy, lame and not really that original. Just some romance slice of life with some ''what if....'' moments, what if you knew someone you think you don't know which one imagines once in a while. That thought crossed my mind before a million times, so I wasn't really blown away with the idea. I don't see the big deal about it.
I'd rather like something that's more original, thought out and out of reach of my imagination. Rather than something that a nobody like me can think of and expect. Lame romance story with what if fantasy in a boring realistic kind of life and everyday characters high school bullshit is not my cup of tea.

The plot was lame, characters meh, but the way they produced and made the movie and scenes was great that was what made it bearable to watch and enjoyable.
Yet, I can think of so many other movies that do romance better than this one. At least those ones actually tell a story.
But this one had everyday dull characters leading realistic normal lives so that everybody can relate to them.
QueentianaAug 4, 2019 11:05 AM
Aug 7, 2019 7:36 PM
Jul 2019
I have just watched it and loved every second of it. Easy 10/10 for me. The plot is very simple with no complex stories or fast paced stuff but it was very emotional and heart warming. I started watching it expecting something like this and was pleased the movie delivered it perfectly. Maybe those who think it's overrated watched it expecting something different. I just wanted a simple heart warming story and I got it.

So yeah imo it deserves its current 4th ranking.
el3melAug 7, 2019 7:46 PM
Aug 17, 2019 12:31 AM
Aug 2019
10/10 for me. No doubt.
Nov 12, 2019 3:46 AM
Jul 2019
Due to its popularity and people praising the hell out of it, I raised my expectation way too high. It was great, but not the best imo. I just gave it an 8/10, which is still good. Maybe I'll re-watch it so I can find a reason to give this a 9-10/10
Nov 12, 2019 4:23 AM

May 2014
Please use this thread to discuss whether a certain anime is overrated/underrated.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1391 by atroxeus »»
May 20, 7:51 AM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.