Forum Settings
Forums

[Discontinued] iMAL, a free application for iOS

New
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 26, 2013 11:42 PM
May 2013
Hey im having a problem right now whenever i click on view recommendations or view reviews its suppose to link to the MAL page but i get this
Jul 27, 2013 7:21 AM

May 2010
I've submitted a fix for this bug, now we need to wait for Apple to review the app. This may take a week or so.
Jul 27, 2013 12:35 PM
May 2013
IATGOF said:
I've submitted a fix for this bug, now we need to wait for Apple to review the app. This may take a week or so.

thanks allot man great app btw sorry for big picture just took it off my ipod
Jul 30, 2013 8:39 AM

May 2010
Hey guys.

As you may know, a new major iOS update is coming (iOS 7). I've tried the app on the iOS 7 beta and as you can see here, it's not quite working as intended.
I'm now wondering whether I should just fix all those bugs and make the current UI work on iOS 7 or make a new UI for iOS 7.
Since everything on iOS 7 is black-on-white and iMAL is white-on-black, maybe it'd be a good idea to rework the design to give it an iOS 7 feel.

What do you guys think?
Jul 30, 2013 12:07 PM
May 2012
I'd like to see an iOS 7-style UI. I think it would fit in better with the rest of the OS than the current UI would, since a lot has changed.
Aug 18, 2013 7:25 AM

Apr 2013
Hey there...LOVING the app, thanks for putting it together!!!

Only one request that would simplify things for me - can you add the "Priority" field to the editable items? I like to prioritize my "Plan to read/Plan to watch" entries for easy sorting.

Thanks again!
Aug 18, 2013 5:10 PM

Apr 2012
Once iOS7 Rolls out I'd be willing to update the theme again. Let me know when that comes around.
Aug 20, 2013 3:32 PM

Aug 2012
When I Set My List to Show Manga first, it doesn't apply. When I start up the App, it starts off with the anime list first and not the manga list. I hope you can fix this. Sorry for my laziness xD
Aug 20, 2013 4:09 PM

Aug 2013
Wow, very interesting indeed.

Aug 21, 2013 1:41 AM

May 2010
Otune said:
I'd like to see an iOS 7-style UI. I think it would fit in better with the rest of the OS than the current UI would, since a lot has changed.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna do that.

mangamaven said:
Only one request that would simplify things for me - can you add the "Priority" field to the editable items? I like to prioritize my "Plan to read/Plan to watch" entries for easy sorting.

Well, I can't. Not that I don't want to, but I am not the owner of MyAnimeList.net and I do not have access to every information on MAL unfortunately, and the few infos I have access to do not include the priority.
That's why it is impossible for me to add that in the app.

Metricx said:
Once iOS7 Rolls out I'd be willing to update the theme again. Let me know when that comes around.

Awesome! I'm already working on it. I want to rework the app a lot for iOS 7 because there are things I don't like in the current one.
What I want to do is to improve the ergonomics because there are some users that do not find it clear enough.
- The Quick Search panel is not intuitive enough. I think it's pretty cool to open it by sliding your finger to the right, but there is nothing that indicates it is possible. It'd be more intuitive to have a button on the top left corner to indicate that a left panel exists, like on the Facebook app for example. Or something else if anyone has a better idea.
- When you long press on an anime/manga, you access what I call Quick Actions. Those help you update your list super fast by selecting how many episodes you've watched or automatically setting the anime to completed with the correct finished date. They are what I use the most on the app because of how it is fast to update my list using those actions. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are not aware they exist because it's not really intuitive to long press on a cell like that. I don't think a button would be better because I want the interface to be clear and simple, not full of hundreds of buttons. That's why I use a lot of different gestures to access everything, I find it easy to use and that keep the screen clear, but you have to know the features exist to use them (if that makes any sense).
- Tags. You can see tags by swiping your finger to the left on an anime/manga. I like this feature as well because of how it allows you to view tags on any anime/manga directly from your list, and if you don't care about them it does not take any extra space. Anyway, it's the same problem than every other feature listed here, I doubt half the users of the app knows about that.
- When you go to the anime/manga details view, it is not clear to everyone that you can switch between the anime infos and your editable infos by swiping your finger, although I've put the little dots that indicate there is more than one page on the top bar. I want to improve that somehow.
- Some people also do not get that you need to go to the 'Search' tab to add anime to your list.

Sorry for the big wall of text, but I'm interested in what you guys think I could do to improve those points.
Also, Metricx, this time you can do more than just a theme for the app, so if you want to move things around feel free to do it. I'll send you my thoughts on what could be the iOS 7 design.

iMK said:
When I Set My List to Show Manga first, it doesn't apply. When I start up the App, it starts off with the anime list first and not the manga list.

You're right, it's not working :/ I'm gonna try to make a last update before the iOS 7 update to fix that and a few other things but since I've updated my phone to iOS 7 it's a pain for me to test the app.
iMK said:
Sorry for my laziness xD

Nah, sorry for mine, I could have found this bug if I had tested the app enough.
Sep 5, 2013 4:40 PM

Aug 2012
There's a minor glitch I found. When you login to your account. Your list will show up right after it's comfirmed. But the bottom navigation bar shows that the "Options" is selected. Nothing major but alittle flaw.

Btw, this occurs when you log out and relogin. It doesn't happen when you first open up the app for the first time.
iMKSep 5, 2013 5:15 PM
Sep 5, 2013 5:20 PM

May 2010
Yeah you're right, when you logout and then login again the Option tab is still selected.
I'm gonna try to submit a version tomorrow to fix all those things.
The iOS 7 version will probably be late, I've been quite busy lately and I don't have much time to work on iMAL.
Sep 7, 2013 4:54 AM

May 2010
I've submitted 2.1.3. No major changes but a few fixes and improvements.
It should be available in about a week.

Changelog:
Sep 15, 2013 3:50 AM

May 2013
Can there be ipad support later on? I don't like using the iPhone emulator a lot on my iPad. It gets frustrating. Otherwise great app! I didn't want to pay $2 just for an anime tracker app called (anime trakr) that only has about 3k websites. Meanwhile MAL has 200k and grossing.
Sep 16, 2013 1:50 AM

May 2010
iPad support is not planned. I don't own an iPad so I can't test the app on a device, and I have tons of other things to do with the app. I understand that it sucks to use the iPhone compatibility mode though, sorry.

Anyway I'm really busy right now, I haven't had the time to work on the iOS 7 update and I don't know when I'll be able to do so.
Sep 20, 2013 9:34 PM

Aug 2012
For the next update. Are you going to redo the UI for iOS 7 and fix iOS 7 compatibility issues. I'm not sure if this is important but I guess I should just mention it:

When you try to update a manga's "Set Read Volumes/Chapters...", it crashes the app.

Device: iPod Touch 5th Gen
Firmware version: 7.0
Sep 24, 2013 2:14 AM

May 2010
I wanted to make a whole new version with iOS 7 with a new UI. Since this will take some time, I'm gonna try to find some time to fix the iOS 7 bugs so that you can still use the app in the meanwhile.
Oct 10, 2013 9:32 PM

Aug 2007
you're the best, IATGOF.

I used your app all the time now for updating my manga list.
Oct 27, 2013 7:28 PM

Sep 2013
This stopped working for me tonight. Said "Could not read list: invalid data"
Oct 27, 2013 8:04 PM
Sep 2012
I have the same problem as Zabonam.

I think the problem is MAL's new login system. It now requires a captcha thanks to the recent hacking. All other third-party apps aren't working anymore for me.
Oct 27, 2013 11:06 PM
May 2013
It stopped working for me tonight. (;A;)
Oct 27, 2013 11:31 PM

Aug 2007
Pretty much that... RIP third party apps.
Oct 28, 2013 4:12 AM

Oct 2012
It stopped working for me last night ;_;
Oct 28, 2013 7:36 AM

Sep 2013
Damn. I was hoping it was just me.

Hope some adjustments can be made so it works once again.
Oct 28, 2013 8:22 AM

May 2010
Please update to 2.1.5.
I received 351 bug reports during the 12 days the app has been down :D

IATGOFNov 10, 2013 11:40 AM
Oct 28, 2013 11:20 AM

Sep 2013
IATGOF, thank you for keeping us updated. Have really appreciated your superb app for a while.
Oct 28, 2013 2:36 PM
May 2013
Well atleast now i know that the problem isnt becuase ipod 4g doesnt have ios7 well hope they fix it soon and thanks for the update great app keep up the good work
RexIgnisOct 28, 2013 8:32 PM
Oct 28, 2013 4:07 PM

May 2010
Zabonam said:
Have really appreciated your superb app for a while.

Don't worry, this is not the end :p

BusinessBacca said:
I would also like to say that the IMal version for older ios does seem to be working

Well, that is not true. The old version doesn't display any error message, so you get an empty list without knowing the app actually failed to get your list.

Also, I've received about 70 bug report emails since this morning. I'm aware of the bug guys, please :>
Oct 28, 2013 4:41 PM
Sep 2013
IATGOF said:
Zabonam said:
Have really appreciated your superb app for a while.

Don't worry, this is not the end :p

BusinessBacca said:
I would also like to say that the IMal version for older ios does seem to be working

Well, that is not true. The old version doesn't display any error message, so you get an empty list without knowing the app actually failed to get your list.

Also, I've received about 70 bug report emails since this morning. I'm aware of the bug guys, please :>

About how long will it take to fix or is that undetermined?
~HACKING TO THE GATE~
Oct 28, 2013 6:00 PM

Aug 2011
Well, at least I'm not the only one having issues. Thanks for all your hard work on the app so far though.
Oct 29, 2013 1:40 AM

May 2010
makisekurisu104 said:
About how long will it take to fix or is that undetermined?

Assuming this post explains the only change that needs to be made, it will take about 10 minutes for me to apply the changes to the app, an undetermined amount of time for MAL to accept my request (probably a few days) and up to 2 weeks for Apple to review and accept the update.

In the best case scenario, I'd say one week. :(
Oct 29, 2013 10:17 AM

Aug 2007
Thanks for your hards work! :3
Oct 29, 2013 12:21 PM

May 2010
Hum, I forgot about something.
Last update (2.1.4) is iOS 7 exclusive, because it was intended as a dirty fix so that the app still works for iOS 7 users until I rework the app to match the iOS 7 look and feel.

Which means iOS < 7 users still use iMAL 2.1.3
Which means if I update the app, iOS < 7 won't get the update.
Which means I need to make the update compatible on all iOS versions.
Which means way more than 10 minutes of dev time.
Which means FML.

I don't want to spend my weekend on iMAL. I'm really getting tired of all that.
Oct 29, 2013 1:12 PM
May 2013
IATGOF said:
Last update (2.1.4) is iOS 7 exclusive, because it was intended as a dirty fix so that the app still works for iOS 7 users until I rework the app to match the iOS 7 look and feel.

Which means FML.

Have you asked MAL to make it into the official app? I mean we all use it and thanks for your hard work

Also have you thought of adding ads a little money could help you (im saying this becuase of all the trouble you go trough i would help but have no experience in any sort of coding yet)
RexIgnisOct 29, 2013 1:24 PM
Oct 29, 2013 4:41 PM

Aug 2007
Please take your time. :)
There is no rush. Most of us can just go use the regular MAL site for the time being.

For me, just knowning it's being worked on is good enough for the wait.
Oct 29, 2013 11:49 PM
Dec 2012
BusinessBacca said:
IATGOF said:

Which means FML.

Have you asked MAL to make it into the official app? I mean we all use it and thanks for your hard work

Also have you thought of adding ads a little money could help you (im saying this becuase of all the trouble you go trough i would help but have no experience in any sort of coding yet)

He makes a point. Have you asked them? And thanks for replying with this thread - I'll keep following this from now on. Thanks for the hard work!
Oct 30, 2013 3:46 PM

May 2010
BusinessBacca said:
Have you asked MAL to make it into the official app? I mean we all use it

I have not, and I honestly don't think they care.
Also, I don't really know what that would change.

Maora said:
There is no rush.

Still, it's frustrating that the app does not work. It's not like it's a minor bug, the app just does nothing as it stands.
I also would love to stop all the mails and app store reviews.

Xinil haven't replied about the unique identifier thing yet.
Oct 30, 2013 9:20 PM
May 2013
IATGOF said:
BusinessBacca said:
Have you asked MAL to make it into the official app? I mean we all use it

I have not, and I honestly don't think they care.
Also, I don't really know what that would change.

Maora said:
There is no rush.

Still, it's frustrating that the app does not work. It's not like it's a minor bug, the app just does nothing as it stands.
I also would love to stop all the mails and app store reviews.

Xinil haven't replied about the unique identifier thing yet.

Well by becoming the official app you should be getting some help to code and probably early access to the new updates that could end up screwing up the app like this
And if there is anything we or i can help ask
Oct 31, 2013 12:17 PM

May 2010
BusinessBacca said:
Well by becoming the official app you should be getting some help to code and probably early access to the new updates that could end up screwing up the app like this

Yeah, that'd be great, but I think this update was not really planned (it was more of a quick fix to stop DDoS attacks imo, they would have warned us if they already planned to change the API).

BusinessBacca said:

Thanks. Right now I'm just waiting for Xinil to reply... I'm gonna send him a second pm, just in case he ignored the first one.
I don't see what you could help with. I'd be cool is someone could post a review on the US App Store saying that I'm working on fixing the bug, and that it is useless to spam the 1 star reviews. :)
(I can't do it myself because I only have a French account)
Oct 31, 2013 2:03 PM
May 2013
IATGOF said:
BusinessBacca said:

Yeah, that'd be great, but I think this update was not really planned (it was more of a quick fix to stop DDoS attacks imo, they would have warned us if they already planned to change the API).

BusinessBacca said:

Thanks. Right now I'm just waiting for Xinil to reply... I'm gonna send him a second pm, just in case he ignored the first one.
I don't see what you could help with. I'd be cool is someone could post a review on the US App Store saying that I'm working on fixing the bug, and that it is useless to spam the 1 star reviews. :)

Arite ill post one
Oct 31, 2013 7:12 PM

Sep 2013
Thank you for doing this even though it seems like a pain. I really appreciate the work you're doing. I have an iPod 4G so no iOS 7 for me so it is very much appreciated that you are doing it.
Oct 31, 2013 8:33 PM
Jul 2013
IATGOF said:
BusinessBacca said:

BusinessBacca said:

Posted one as well.
Nov 1, 2013 12:09 AM
Feb 2013
Hi, I see you're already aware of the problems but I just wanted to say thank you for looking into them and for developing the app itself. As someone else said, take your time. There's no hurry and we're really grateful just to know you're working on it

Thanks guys :)
Nov 1, 2013 5:44 PM

May 2010
BusinessBacca said:
Arite ill post one

gmjessay2001 said:
Posted one as well.

Thanks guys :3

Good news: The app is working with the new User-Agent!
Next step is making the app compatible with previous iOS versions (I will try to support 4.3+) and then I'll post the fix to the App Store \o/
Nov 1, 2013 5:53 PM

Apr 2013
I can not put into words enough thanks for all your hard work and having to deal with frustrations. We all really appreciate it!
~Fire and ice and rage inside~
"Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice..."
- Robert Frost
-----

Nov 1, 2013 11:26 PM
Sep 2013
I love this, an app in which the developer actually addresses issues and keeps the users updated. :)

Thanks for taking the time to do this. :D
Nov 2, 2013 10:46 AM

May 2010
More good news: I posted an update to the store. We now need to wait for Apple to review it.
I tested on iOS 7 and iOS 6.1, I hope it'll work with all pre-iOS 7 version.

If anyone has an iOS 5 or 4.3 and is willing to help test the app, please send me a PM with your device's UDID.

Also, thanks everyone for your messages :) I'm really happy to see that you all like the app!
Nov 2, 2013 3:57 PM

Jun 2013
Yay! About how long does Apple generally take to approve these things?
Nov 3, 2013 5:56 AM

May 2010
CronaTheWeapon said:
Yay! About how long does Apple generally take to approve these things?

Between one and two weeks.
Nov 3, 2013 6:24 PM

Feb 2012
Thanks for all your hard work, i just love the app. it makes it faster for me to update my list, for i watch all my anime on my phone.

Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Best Video!

salsalsalsal - Yesterday

0 by salsalsalsal »»
Yesterday, 1:20 AM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

433 by Yuno »»
Sep 17, 5:40 AM

» TAKARA Jenny - "Angel's Garden" Lillian

MasterTasuke - Sep 16

0 by MasterTasuke »»
Sep 16, 5:57 AM

» A decent resolution for about me

CuteChaff3503 - Sep 16

1 by deg »»
Sep 16, 3:24 AM

» Ranka Lee (MACROSS Frontier) MegaHouse, 2008

MasterTasuke - Jul 23

2 by MasterTasuke »»
Sep 15, 5:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.