Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (52) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 26, 2014 3:46 PM

Nov 2013
well i might have aimed too high using the word cataclysm as it tends to be world wide disaster scale events(being war, natural disaster, and the like)

i was thinking more of large landslides that endanger a town type thing for an example
Jun 26, 2014 3:52 PM

Jun 2013
Clarus_Nox said:
well i might have aimed too high using the word cataclysm as it tends to be world wide disaster scale events(being war, natural disaster, and the like)

i was thinking more of large landslides that endanger a town type thing for an example

Yeah, just like how in my story I plan to have a mini godzilla monster girl appear randomly and terrorize the island. But it doesn't endanger like the Whooooooooooooooooo *roles head* oooooooooooooooooole world, so it's not cataclysmic.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jun 26, 2014 4:03 PM

Nov 2013
hmm i wonder if putting a scar on the map would count as cataclysmic? :3
Jun 26, 2014 4:07 PM

Jun 2013
Clarus_Nox said:
hmm i wonder if putting a scar on the map would count as cataclysmic? :3

Could be... I wouldn't know.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jun 26, 2014 4:20 PM

Sep 2013
I was actually pondering a map scar myself, but I reasoned that it would be more like a trench and thus not worthy of being marked =P
Jun 26, 2014 4:35 PM

Nov 2013
emeraldtryst said:
I was actually pondering a map scar myself, but I reasoned that it would be more like a trench and thus not worthy of being marked =P

perhaps we could work together to fix that shall we

btw are there any people here playing villains? as in their MC is actually a bad guy with some evil goal
Jun 26, 2014 4:48 PM

Jun 2013
Well, my character has refused sexual advances from a beautiful girl multiple times.... I guess that makes him a stealer of opportunities--and since thieves are villains--he must be a villain?
YandereTheEmo said:
Jun 26, 2014 4:48 PM

Sep 2013
Clarus_Nox said:
emeraldtryst said:

perhaps we could work together to fix that shall we

btw are there any people here playing villains? as in their MC is actually a bad guy with some evil goal

I haven't seen any out-and-out villains, but there are a couple that skirt the line in places. Beast's is about the closest I can think of where the actual goal is somewhat questionable...or at least the methods they're willing to employ to get there.
Jun 26, 2014 4:59 PM

Nov 2013
YandereTheEmo said:
Well, my character has refused sexual advances from a beautiful girl multiple times.... I guess that makes him a stealer of opportunities--and since thieves are villains--he must be a villain?

nah that just means u have self restraint XD

would i be permitted to make a 2nd character for sole purpose of being a villain

i could just write a villain into my story but i want to also tell it from the bad guy's perspective
Jun 26, 2014 5:18 PM

Sep 2013
I don't know about the protocol, but at least a few people have included some sizable chunks of perspective from the bad guy.
Jun 26, 2014 10:58 PM

Jun 2009
my previous text tl;dr...

I wouldnt do that (only if the place for it is perfect), but you can insert as much people/characters into your story as you want.
Jun 26, 2014 11:29 PM

Nov 2013
Then i might have some chapters that don't revolve around my character or my companions for that reason

but since my villain will most likely be human from our world should i assume he has the exact same restrictions or am i allow to OP him a little for sake of being a villain?
Jun 27, 2014 1:29 AM

Jul 2013
I would advise against creating a scar on the map before talking it through with the GMs. As for the villain, that very much depends. How were you thinking of OPing him?
Jun 27, 2014 3:21 AM

Nov 2013
well i have a few ideas, possibly having him/her learn magic seems like most efficient way to make use of
Jun 27, 2014 4:35 AM

Jul 2013
I'm afraid that unless he is a she and a monster girl, magic is a no-no, NPC or not.
Jun 27, 2014 9:34 AM

Nov 2013
hmm then i'll need think some more
Jun 27, 2014 9:56 AM

Nov 2013
Is there a special calender? or are we using real world one?
Jun 27, 2014 9:59 AM

Jan 2013
emeraldtryst said:
Beast's is about the closest I can think of where the actual goal is somewhat questionable...or at least the methods they're willing to employ to get there.

I think Yuda got much closer to being a villain with his goal of exterminating all life on the island :-)
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jun 27, 2014 10:04 AM

Jul 2013
Clarus_Nox said:
Is there a special calender? or are we using real world one?
No calendar. If it's winter in your story and summer in another writer's story you will just be taken to be there within different timeframes.
Jun 27, 2014 10:22 AM

Nov 2013
alright

although i think i'd prefer the years to be a little shorter on the island just for sake of providing the sense of time passing more so than real time
Jun 27, 2014 10:25 AM

Jul 2013
Time compression is all up to you. Some of us do a day in 1-2 chapters, others have taken one day in 10 chapters.
Jun 27, 2014 11:33 AM

Nov 2013
well that's generally pacing rather than in-game timeline

if i skip from winter to spring and then summer in only 6 chapters without a designated calender or seasonal calender it would leave readers wondering what happened in between chapters since the gap is too big for absolutely nothing to have happened.
Jun 27, 2014 12:10 PM

Jul 2013
I think Yuda has done some hefty time compression at least one time, so it generally depends on how you do it. Sure, I agree that winter to summer in 6 chapters might not be the best idea, but if you set up a boring premise for the period and write a few chapters about at least something unexpected during that time period you might just get away with it.
chimechuJun 27, 2014 12:13 PM
Jun 27, 2014 12:12 PM

Jan 2013
There was only one or two moments when actual date was used but as far I can remember there is no rule about the calendar itself.

So, yes, calendar exists.
It is strongly suggested that it is able to count a huge amount of years e.g. have something like ages or so in addition of years as some characters can be centuries old.
If you can take some stories as canon then Amarante was in power 4 millenia ago and there are still a few characters who remember that. And for example if we make Kami's story a canon then mdude's one took place 30 years ago before current island timeline

It isn't said that year has 365 days or 12 months or so, but I would suggest that there is calendar similar to ours in that regards so we can be familiar with it.

I would also suggest to avoid skips in timeline during course of your story, especially in seasons or years, as it is also said we are on the island in approximate same time. Usually only last chapter skips interval of several years. Skips in matter of week or month or so can be fine as many stories done so.
beast_regardsJun 27, 2014 12:28 PM
Jun 27, 2014 1:31 PM

Nov 2013
hm i might start mine at start of winter...

btw am i allowed to make myself wanted (whether the reason for my bounty is justifiable or not aside) or would that be considered affecting the world too much?
Jun 27, 2014 1:41 PM

Sep 2013
(assuming your MC is male) Oh, you'll be wanted alright...
Jun 27, 2014 1:44 PM

Jul 2013
I don't see why not. Naturally you can't commit a rather petty crime and have wanted posters popping up all over the island, but say you commit a crime in a village, they might spread the word to their immediate neighbours. Remember that we're in a predominantly medieval fantasy setting though, so even if the MGs can run like hell, spread of information isn't going to happen overnight.

If you want to be a more sought after criminal you'll have to become one over time. mdude for example created an NPC called Patches who was pretty wanted, but then he had backstory for the character making Patches out as a repeat offender etc.
Jun 27, 2014 1:51 PM

Nov 2013
Well for now the plan is simply severely pissing off someone in a hig enough position that i can have reign over( as story teller) that would have wanted posters in the majority of the region (probably in kaori's area as its fairly lawless)
Jun 27, 2014 2:46 PM

Nov 2013
alright got my 1st 10 days planned for the story

Jun 27, 2014 2:50 PM

Jul 2008
It's interesting how many important characters like primary antagonists are human despite it being a monstergirl-first world.
Jun 27, 2014 2:53 PM

Jul 2013
Damn, quite the discussion happened while I was away yesterday. LOL

For the fight: Just be careful in how you describe it. Beating a mg in your first chapter is hard to swallow. But I suppose not all of us need to nearly die in each of our fights ;)

For the weather: Just keep it reasonable.

For the time skips: I would think you could have a fair bit of flexibility if you don't plan to interact with other players, continuity and all. But I would say you need to give a good idea of what is happening during those time skips in order to justify them.

For the villain: Unless it is something personal, like in mdude's story, having a human villain would be odd. Other than that you can write some evil person into the story.

For being wanted: Piss off the right person and you can find yourself hunted down for all kinds of reasons ;)
I don't have to know what I'm looking for. I just have to know when I find it.
Jun 27, 2014 3:01 PM

Nov 2013
I decided before i start showing signs of other characters events in my story i'm going to read everyone's and try to line mine up best way possible for it
Jun 27, 2014 3:10 PM

Jun 2009
Clarus_Nox said:
I decided before i start showing signs of other characters events in my story i'm going to read everyone's and try to line mine up best way possible for it

thats a harsh job you've got yourself there xD
But its very good and nice to see that you'll read other stories ^^
Jun 27, 2014 3:17 PM

Jun 2013
Subenu said:
Clarus_Nox said:

thats a harsh job you've got yourself there xD
But its very good and nice to see that you'll read other stories ^^

Yeah, he's got a long *Cough* Emerald road ahead of him.
YandereTheEmo said:
Jun 27, 2014 3:30 PM

Nov 2013
nah im a NEET
i got nothing but time

only reason i havent started yet is because im too invested in hunter x hunter atm

after i've caught up i'll begin, should catch up to 2 or 3 of u guys before is start posting mine
Jun 27, 2014 3:30 PM

Sep 2013
Hey, mine wasn't any longer than the 3rd Wheel of Time novel. =P

Some good stuff in there, if I do say so myself. Which I do. Because I just did.

Kami's might still be longer though, as that was 70 chapters of good times.
Jun 27, 2014 3:48 PM

Nov 2013
Evil characters aren't that uncommon. My main antagonist is a human male, I plan for a few others small time antagonists for side thingies but I see no problem with them being human :P
Jun 27, 2014 6:19 PM

May 2013
Clarus_Nox said:
btw am i allowed to make myself wanted (whether the reason for my bounty is justifiable or not aside)

Wanted by whom? By legal authorities? That means the Lords or their representatives, and you don't want that. That's a fight your MC can't win, in fact he'd probably lose quickly. Wanted by a powerful individual or group, now, that's another matter. Such an antagonist could easily be influential enough to put up wanted posters and offer rewards.
"When you have bought your own load of hooey, you know exactly what it is worth." -- Bruce Sterling
Jun 27, 2014 6:20 PM

May 2013
Clarus_Nox said:
Well for now the plan is simply severely pissing off someone in a hig enough position that i can have reign over( as story teller) that would have wanted posters in the majority of the region (probably in kaori's area as its fairly lawless)

That's a good plan. You could just as easily set it in Kioko or Charisse, though. While not lawless, those regions give the rich and powerful a great deal of leeway.
"When you have bought your own load of hooey, you know exactly what it is worth." -- Bruce Sterling
Jun 27, 2014 6:34 PM

Nov 2013
I'll keep those in mind
Jun 29, 2014 12:25 AM

Jan 2013
Su, what happened with that interactive map of the Island Kami was creating? Since we have old map again (and some locations fell off the grind once again)
Jun 29, 2014 12:29 AM

Dec 2010
I sent it to Su, I don't know what has he done with it. The link is this: http://www.umapper.com/maps/view/id/188819/
Jun 29, 2014 12:43 AM

Jun 2013
KamikadzeTM said:
I sent it to Su, I don't know what has he done with it. The link is this: http://www.umapper.com/maps/view/id/188819/

Are these areas defined by the MSG players who write them in? I.e. If one describes an undefined village/town in their story--is it defined on the map?
YandereTheEmo said:
Jun 29, 2014 1:41 AM

Nov 2013
what is this map for?
Jun 29, 2014 2:18 AM

Jul 2013
YandereTheEmo said:
Are these areas defined by the MSG players who write them in?
Who else would define them? It hardly makes sense for me to come up with a definition of a place someone else created.

YandereTheEmo said:
I.e. If one describes an undefined village/town in their story--is it defined on the map?
We tend to map only major and/or important locations. If every single location was mapped, the map would become a clusterfuck.

Clarus_Nox said:
what is this map for?
What maps usually are for. It shows player-created locations on the MSG Island.
Jun 29, 2014 2:36 AM

Jan 2013
Clarus_Nox said:
what is this map for?

We basically created (or rather, we are still creating) this world together so map show placed around the island players created you can use in your story. You don't always need to make up a new location and can visit places others imagined instead.
There were issues with updating it though as it would need some input from original author so some locations were not added to the map in the rules while others are not on interactive map.
Jun 29, 2014 3:34 AM

Jul 2013
beast_regards said:
There were issues with updating it though as it would need some input from original author so some locations were not added to the map in the rules
The map I have dropboxed has every location up and til the last post in the old Story Route & Progression thread. I didn't place some of them on the actual map because they either covered too large areas (seriously, eg. a fortress has one location, not an area) or the exact location wasn't specified. However, everything is covered in the legend.

beast_regards said:
while others are not on interactive map.
Because as was said long enough for everyone to have forgotten, you have to either add them yourself or give Kami the exact information about where it is and a description.
Jun 29, 2014 4:16 AM

Jan 2013
@ Chime: Some info didn't got through, but Kami didn't had a time either recently.
Anyway do we still have a map project or it got cancelled?
Jun 29, 2014 5:13 AM

Dec 2010
Not really canceled, the map is fully functional. However 1) Some locations are not added or is being decided whether to be added or not due to the clusterfuck issue Chim explained. I can't put every single hut you visit on the map.

2) Not every author has given me the precise information needed: [1.Name of location. 2.Description of the location. 3.Exact location on the map(this is done by opening the old map with MC Paint and putting a black dot on it). For example, I was nagging tyger twice to give me the Gray Garden's complete info(location and latest description) but got nothin'. I don't know if there's gonna be a new "Locations thread" where the players will put their info but any location for which I don't have the necessary information won't appear on the map. I can't go digging every single story, counting their locations, estimating their positions, copying description etc.
Jun 29, 2014 5:16 AM

Jun 2009
KamikadzeTM said:
Not really canceled, the map is fully functional. However 1) Some locations are not added or is being decided whether to be added or not due to the clusterfuck issue Chim explained. I can't put every single hut you visit on the map.

2) Not every author has given me the precise information needed: [1.Name of location. 2.Description of the location. 3.Exact location on the map(this is done by opening the old map with MC Paint and putting a black dot on it). For example, I was nagging tyger twice to give me the Gray Garden's complete info(location and latest description) but got nothin'. I don't know if there's gonna be a new "Locations thread" where the players will put their info but any location for which I don't have the necessary information won't appear on the map. I can't go digging every single story, counting their locations, estimating their positions, copying description etc.

You and/or Chime may create one in the vault and make it sticky, since you're in charge of it :)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (52) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» HMG XI Round 2 is Live!

tygertyger - Sep 15

0 by tygertyger »»
Sep 15, 2:04 PM

Poll: » HMG XI Round 2 Bracket 1

tygertyger - Sep 15

0 by tygertyger »»
Sep 15, 1:56 PM

Poll: » HMG XI Round 2 Bracket 2

tygertyger - Sep 15

0 by tygertyger »»
Sep 15, 1:49 PM

Poll: » HMG XI Round 2 Bracket 3

tygertyger - Sep 15

0 by tygertyger »»
Sep 15, 1:40 PM

Poll: » HMG XI Round 2 Bracket 4

tygertyger - Sep 15

0 by tygertyger »»
Sep 15, 1:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.