Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 14, 2022 11:41 PM
Nov 2018
It felt like I’m missing a lot of info between zeta and this movie. Char goes missing after zeta and he’s now leader or Neo Zeon and back to being an antagonist. Quess was pretty wack, but it makes sense Char was manipulating her. Animation is gorgeous though.
Feb 23, 2023 9:35 PM

Feb 2016
Eziprez said:
I also felt that they didn't tie it in with Z and ZZ enough, and they kind of jumped from 0079 straight to this.
This would not have bothered me if not for the fans who lied to me and told me I needed to watch Zeta beforehand.
その目だれの目?
Feb 27, 2023 5:10 AM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
I wasn't prepared for how much of this movie was a single battle.

Overall i liked it. I thought the OST was spectacular, and the animation is gorgeous. I really liked Chan, and would have loved to see more of her. She turned out to be kind of a hidden badass when she destroyed Quess.

Was sad to see Astonaige be so unceremoniously killed off. Kayra's death made no sense to me. For a highly trained and highly experienced pilot she sure seemed to pile one stupid decision right on top of the next when she was attacked by Gyunei.

I know Quess receives most of the hate, but man....Hathaway, what a terrible, absolutely spineless and entitled kid. I don't understand how anyone thought he'd be worthy of redemption after he killed of Chan who was trying pretty desperately to save him and earth's population from Quess' insanity.

The only Hathaway sequel that feels appropriate is the Trial of Hathaway, that would with him being executed or locked away for life. >_> 
Beep boop
May 27, 2023 6:40 PM
Oct 2014
The movie was so-so. Arguably better than ZZ, but definitely worse than Zeta.
It has a pretty animation, but the plot is another matter. We have not enough background about what has happened after previous series and it feels disconnected.
Why did Char suddenly turn bad again? I'm sure some fans will find excuses for his behaviour, but for me it's either bad writing or some other considerations. I've heard that the movie was made in a way, that people who didn't watch Zeta and ZZ could understand it. It could explain this move.
It also suffers from usual problems of the this time format, when they make the whole movie just a big space battle.
I'm not sure how I feel about Quess plot line. I found her design very cute, and was interested at first, but she appeared to be dumb as hell, her motivation just has no sense. I could say she deserved what has happened, but she managed to save the boy at her last moment, so... I feel even worse for Hathaway, who lost his crush and destroy Chan in despair (WHY did she even start to shooting in this situation, while he still was at the shot line?!). He must have regretted it later, it has only doubled his pain. Maybe it was the whole idea that humans tend to be stupid and hurt each other in vain.
Jun 19, 2023 4:35 AM

Aug 2016
not a bad movie RIP amuro you were my favorite character
Sep 16, 2023 5:40 AM

Jul 2017
very good movie, animations were top tier and the story was so much intriguing that i was glued to the screen, but oh *** hathaway and quess were really insufferable.
i think that the ending with amuro and char missing in action was a good conlcusion for their character arc, but poor amuro deserved way better, i will miss him so much.
even if this movie has it's problems, especially how it handles the characters, i loved it.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Oct 19, 2023 4:31 AM

Dec 2018
A little contrived and disappointing, but still better than zz. i just wish it could have ended with zeta.
Oct 29, 2023 2:06 PM
Oct 2023
Alright, i originally wanted to do a full chronological first dive into Gundam but ZZ finally broke me. Im halfway through and its just so abysmally boring that i cant force myself through it right now. So ill put it on hold, skip F91, Unicorn and V till ive finished ZZ, and just do this one followed by the AUs up to Turn A.

As for this movie: Im really glad to hear that the original 79 dub VAs have returned after being absent from Zeta. Mirai especially sounds so much better now. And who doesnt love Light Yagami moonlighting as Amuro Ray. Light Ray.

Some people were probably surprised by Casvals action but i always thought itd end like this. The blonde bitch can leave Zeon, but Zeon will never leave the blonde bitch. Good riddance to bad rubbish, i say.

I really really want to give this a high score, but i just cant. For mainly three reasons.

1 - The ending gave me neither closure, nor did it make much sense. It made some sense, you could follow it, but it left a lot to be desired.

2 - Quess and Hathaway are awful. Quess become more and more irritating from the point she dodged Amuro for Casval. Hathaway was alright for most of it, but him killing Chan dropped my enjoyment of this character by several notches. And speaking of those two...

3 - Once again stupid Gundam instant romances are vital plot drivers, and it destroys my ability to engage with the story. Why do you keep writing romances, Tomino? Youre clearly not good at it, and it adds nothing. In fact, it only detracts.

Anyway, 5/10. I had high hopes for the UC, but so far Origin, WitP and 79 have been the only actually good ones.
HadToDoItOct 29, 2023 2:17 PM
Nov 17, 2023 8:44 AM
Jun 2021
So i finshed dz and it took me like 5 days to watch the moivie anyhow i was confused the entire moivie but around the ending it started to make sence. Okay starting with quessa i generally found her annoying like she was annoying and i dint really care so much for her plot with hathaway taht wen nowhere unless hathaways becomes a protag in a ffuture season since he is still alive. Mirai got a glowup like damm she became a milf though honestly i think she would have been better off with cameron than be with bright and live on earth glad she dint die. So what happened to judau and kamille you would think they would also fight. And tbh Char was way too petty like damm you used to be on amuros side but i kinda agree with him but also with amuro. So im gonna assume Char and amuro did die at the ending and i think this is a perfect place for those to to die since they were focused on the past seasons. Anyways this moivie was a 8 ot of 1o
Dec 25, 2023 2:30 PM

Jan 2011
I think nothing in this movie made sense.

Quess is the most annoying of all the random kids they had in Gundam. I mean, she is still a kid, but even they rarely behave like that, especially saying stuff like "i hate kids". And then the nonsense Char spouts about her in his fight with Amuro. One moment Amuro treated her badly (for not putting up with her whiny and entitled behaviour) and the next Char is like "i see, i treated her like a machine". ???

The whole story doesn't make sense, even without Zeta/ZZ. Char even contradicts himself. The top officials are still as stupid as always, nobody except Bright and Amuro ever tries to take action, Earth never defends itself when they are the "good" guys. Hathaway is almost as bad as Quess, for a military operation in space security is still absurdly bad (with Hathaway easily getting around in the base, onto the ship and stealing a Gundam, or Quess also easily switching sides)..

Kayra is never properly introduced before dying, neither is Chan (who of course dies, can't have Amuro having anything else i life except Gundam), Amuro has a new Gundam which he never gets to actually show off, partly because he still freezes up then moment it counts - he could easily have shot Gyunei, even just shooting the arm off, to rescue her. He also lets himself get captured in the triple-electro-net AGAIN, like he does in every single battle someone uses it against him. And they still haven't isolated the frame itself or the cockpit from the frame. I thought Amuro mostly designed the Nu-Gundam himself, and Chan, his lover, helped?

They also introdude a whole new ship(class) (which is still basically White Base, nothing really changed, any new features are arbitrary, especially when there is no history of how it came to be that it has a new feature and they use a completely different but same, but different... ship every single series/movie), their new unit and a colony without actually introducing it, it's simply used all over and one has to guess what they could mean.

It's like they took the worst issues from all the existing Gundam series and movies, and put it all in one movie.
Feb 9, 2:21 AM

Jan 2021
It's called Char's Counterattack but Char isn't in this movie?? Did I watch the wrong one? Maybe it's a translation error. All I saw was a blonde guy LARPing as Super Space Hitler. If I'd had seen this in the theater in 1988 I'd have asked for a refund for false advertising.

Overall it wasn't an awful movie since the animation was nice, but I think they should've called it something else. And at the very least they should've put Char in, especially as a lead role, since he was absent in ZZ. I came into this expecting to see what he had been up to during the time of ZZ, and maybe get some resolution with him and Sayla since she only got a three second non-speaking cameo in Zeta and only had about five sentences in ZZ. It seems like they should've had a final meeting to settle their issues. I'm surprised both of these major characters were left out of the movie but yet Amuro got back in. At least he was cool, as usual.

Also Quess was a complete psychopath. After five sentences she's wholly convinced to eradicate the Earth and she kills her own father without batting an eye. Absolutely savage and schizo. She acted like she was five years old. No wonder the mother didn't want to deal with her anymore and ran off at the airport.
Mar 29, 11:44 AM

May 2015
This was... so good? Coming from ZZ the difference in quality is palpable. Honestly, I enjoyed the movie immensly, my only gripes are with some moments, mostly towards the end.

So I knew that Char was going to die in this one, only had no idea about the details or that Amuro dies too. In a way, it was a fitting end for both of them. Although, the whole idea of freezing the Earth just because people are pests who poluted it, really? This was a somewhat random motivation that felt too contrived for Char as a character. The logic of it wasn't making sense and appered too radical.

Quess was interesting for about five minutes and then she turned into a total mess of a person. She was jelous of Amuro first, then of Char, killed her own father, went into space without normal suit (???) and was generally the annoying brat. This is understandable considering she's just 13. But what on earth did Char forget tolerating her out of nowhere without any real motivation? Yes, she was talented and all, but she was annoying as well. I don't believe his forces were so weak as to recruit a random child. Gyunei was quite sklilled as well, Quess didn't do much of anything exceptional that couldn't be done by anyone else.

I'm shocked about Chan's death the most. She was killed by Hathaway out of sheer frustration, basically because of Quess. Wtf? And we are supposed to think about Hathaway as a good characther? I was looking forward to seeing the movies with him as MC but now it'll be with a grain of salt. This was utterly stupid, he's a naive boy and Chan din't deserve to die like this. She was lovely and I actually liked her a lot, even though it was for a short time, her relationship with Amuro seemed very cute. I don't know what development Hathaway must undergo to forgive him for this. I guess, no one cares since Amuro died and there's no one else left to mourn her other than just as another casualty of war...

It was nice to see Mirai, those years on Earth and caring for kids were definitely good on her, she looked so glowed-up for some reason. I'm glad she survived this along with her daughter.

Can I just say, how utterly gorgees Nu Gundam is? Probably the most beatiful looking Gundam I've seen so far. And Amuro designed it himself. So cooool. The animation and the overall look of the movie was awesome too. Almost every frame like a piece of art. To think it was made in 1988, amazing! Absolutely amazing.

In the end, the clarification about Quess seeking a father figure was alright, at least it made some sense, although I'm not so sure about this actually being the case. As a dumb 13 year old she most likely had a crush both on Amuro and Char, it's just not so easy for them to comprehend because they don't see her as a potential love interest (thank god), so they basically pulled up that explanation. We have too little information about her life though and her relationship with father to analyse this. Yeah, she had a beef with parents fighting and that's why she thought Earth had to be destroyed... but oh well, I honestly don't quite care about her inner workings to this extent. And actually glad she was eliminated. It would have been too enfuriating if she survived.

Another baffling thing was about Char seeing Lalah as a mother... like, whaaat? You can't just throw the line at us like that. Him carrying a deep sorrow over Lalah as his one true soulmate, I can get it, I actually loved it, this makes for a beatiful story, and having this as his actual motivation for settling things with Amuro because he never could forget and forgive is alright, far better than just random basic shit about earthians polluting the planet. Why did it have to be ruined with that line? Lol. Nope... Even Amuro was shocked.

Overall, I have a bit of mixed feelings. The whole movie was just so enjoyable to watch, like the perfect example of what Gundam should be like, withouth any annoying childish bulshit and cutting to the chase. Sure, some more character development could be done but for the timeframe of 2 hours it was the best it could be. If it weren't for some odd throwaway lines this could be a perfect 10. But ugh. I guess, I'll give it 8/10 for now and maybe correct later after thinking on it some more.

TenMar 29, 12:08 PM
Jun 1, 11:54 PM

Jun 2014
I felt like watching a summary.
Hathaway killing Chan makes me angry, I wonder how can he redeem himself in the sequel.
RIP Amuro the only decent mc pilot in Gundam UC.
I prefer the masked Char over this version of Char.
Jun 2, 12:46 AM
Sep 2023
Reply to blessofcurse
I felt like watching a summary.
Hathaway killing Chan makes me angry, I wonder how can he redeem himself in the sequel.
RIP Amuro the only decent mc pilot in Gundam UC.
I prefer the masked Char over this version of Char.
@blessofcurse Since Chan was made for the movie only, but in the novel "Beltorchika's Children" Beltorchika manages to avoid Chan's fate as she ends up fighting Gyunei instead of Quess. Also Hathaway is the one that kills Quess in the novel and in the Hathaway Flash novels he lives with that guilt that continues to haunts him.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Does Char Have Dissociative Identity Disorder?

Uutama - Apr 23, 2019

6 by lunarxlunar »»
Aug 22, 2022 4:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.