Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 7, 2017 9:25 AM

Dec 2014
Robins filler part has such bad animation it's hilarious
Apr 1, 2019 11:40 PM

Jun 2016
Just like last time the Robin / Usopp episode blew me away. Although the 'see Luffy thinking and cut to friends' has been done for every friends whereabouts when we could just not get a Luffy cut or it could be more interesting like showing Luffy doing something with people and cutting, I think they have some value. It's nice to see Luffy unable to move forward. He's never worrying, never doubting himself, he's always moving forward and picking himself back up to chase his dreams and protect his friends and have fun. In a case like this he literally cannot move forward. He's forced to sit on the captains seat and think about Ace. He has to, dare I say, sulk and worry about him!? It's nice to see that quiet alone time with Luffy because it's rare he's put into a situation like this.

As for Tequila Wolf, it's literally made Robin one of my favorite Straw Hats. I always liked her a lot but seeing her as the main character again has convinced me that if not for Luffy I would want Robin to be the main character of One Piece. In fact I would kill for a spin off of her journeys up until she teamed up with Crocodile. My love of her being a protagonist is partly novelty I admit, yet the fact that she creates a tone unlike anything else in One Piece is because of her character. Even the direction and tone fits with this more grounded and serious approach.

Robin is an intelligent, strong, and reserved character. She's quiet, she's always thinking, and she's a product of some of the worlds worst evils. She knows what suffering and torture is on a scale most people in One Piece can't even conceive of. Despite being put into a life where everyone she loved was killed in a genocide and even before that she was treated as a monster. Despite the fact that she had to move place by place as she learned she couldn't trust anyone. She always retained her kindness and she came out of it by learning to trust people again. That said, she understands the merciless and cruel nature of life. The fact that she was able to smile at her tortures who were dumping sea water on her face, beating her, and even implicitly sexually assaulting her or at the very least opening up her shirt as a power play to make her feel weak and humiliated shows how used to this kind of treatment she is. It's sad but powerful, these guys couldn't break her if they tried their hardest. And likewise, she knows how cruel and painful life can be but she sees beauty in characters like the Straw Hats or in Soran and her friends for taking Robin in, further she may even understand the woman who ratted her out as she did it out of fear, she was the one who was breaking under this suffering. In fact, I think Robin may have especially bonded with Soran because she can relate with her.

Due to all of this I think she has this decisive split that reminds me of Kurama from Yuyu Hakusho. She's able to understand when she has to snap some necks like she did at the end of episode, or recall the fight against Yama which was one of the most brutal fights in all of One Piece imo. She's able to be merciless because she understands how cruel life can be if she's not. But she's not a monster, this is a switch for her, she like Luffy has a line that if people cross they are enemies and if they don't she can find kindness in her heart for them and admire that in such a world they continue to be strong and fight for other people. This allows for her to show nuance in her merciless behavior and her self sacrificial behavior, she was moved by Soran's group and decided that before anything else she had to pay them back and not take their gratitude for granted. It's awesome..

Plus two more things I adore about Robin are that she doesn't use violence as a problem solver unless she must. This episode was horribly dark and sad but all of the torture that happened to Robin cut in some wonderful ways like to the captain cutting his steak, it was never glorified or explicit. All of this led to making the moment where Soran was rushing the cuffs off of Robin so powerful, the first time violence is explicitly shown in the entire episode is when Robin snaps the necks of a horde of guards because she knows she must, she has no hesitation, she just does it. It's scary and awesome and because of the reserved use of such violence it comes off as powerful and impactful. Just look at the display she left behind..

The other thing was that with how grounded, reserved, and nuanced Robin is it unsurprisingly focuses on the smaller and more human sides of the characters. Sure, the authority here was pretty black and white in how vilified they were, but I was impressed that we saw those little moments like how Soran and the workers wanted to help their fellow slave and couldn't. Or how the betrayer cried and gave Soran the chocolate, that she was acting selfishly out of fear and seeing Soran's kindness broke her, this is the only way she knows how to save herself from the torture they live under. I also found Robin's moment where she thought about getting back to the crew and how she was willing to lose her arms to do that quite powerful. She made a decision not to use these people as a stepping stone to get back to her crew but instead she chose to pay them back but its not an easy decision for her, we saw her futility eating at her in the prison cell.

Then to top it all off the revolutionary army strikes! Not only is this awesome for the direction, art, novelty, and tone it was also awesome for that coincidental connection. Robin was lucky and the revolutionary army was lucky too because without her the two who saved them would have died. They were even foreshadowed to have been the opposers of this bridge being made earlier in the episode. Now Robin is going to be involved with them and you know what, maybe that is a good way that she could hitch a ride back to Saboady...

Overall I adored this and last Tequila Wolf episode, they made me love Robin so much more. It's hard to think about her when everyone else is in the spotlight but when she's there she shows off why she's so interesting.

I already wrote a lot so I'll briefly touch on the Usopp section and say how Usopp and Heracles are a match made in heaven. Both are manchildren who want to be superheroes and Usopp knows how to get Heracles feeling himself, as the same kind of compliments work on Usopp too. They have already become friends and the blush of Heracles to have a superhero friend and the "you want to be a superhero too?" were adorable. I mean seriously, Heracles introduces himself as a hero as much as Usopp did as Sogeking! Lastly, the punch to Usopp's face made me laugh ridiculously hard.

P.S. calling Robin's torture fanservice makes me feel a little gross. ~_~ That was implicit sexual assault at worst and at best a ploy to make her feel weak and humiliated as to make her easily bend to their will. It helped set up how awful they were treating her.
Aug 8, 2020 6:46 AM

Mar 2020
And I am the hero of this forest, H-!
Aug 30, 2020 4:10 AM

May 2016
It would've been a tragedy if Robin was going to be stuck in that place for the whole time so it's a good thing that the Revolutionary Army happened to be at her location. She'll definitely be a very big asset in freeing other people from the oppression of the World Government.

With all that food and dangerous things trying to kill him, I have a feeling that Usopp's gonna be hella swole once he manages to get out of that hellish island!

May 29, 2021 7:32 AM

Jun 2019
Usopp got fat and Robin escaped.
Aug 28, 2022 9:51 PM

Apr 2018
Did Robin get violated? o_O ......
It's hard to like this episode with the art quality; I was never a fan of this type of art. It almost felt rushed, sloppy, and lazy to me.
Jun 15, 2023 6:53 PM
Oct 2019
Stop hurting Robin-chan 😢

Usopp speedrunning obese 🤣
Jul 9, 2023 6:38 AM
Jul 2018
Robin just seems like a magnet for bad things. At least with Soran there she isn’t alone and she’s joining the revolutionary army, by far the most interesting separation story.
Jan 31, 5:10 AM

Oct 2019
Loved Robin's part<3
May 4, 6:18 PM

Dec 2022
Robin loves a good miserable mistreating and beating to power up her enthusiasm ^_^ sheesh she broke like 30 necks! what a babe
they claim these are "anime canon" episodes but i swear i remember reading this stuff in chapter format, not just as cover stories
must be like a mixture of the two with some adlibbing
May 25, 12:50 PM

Jun 2017
robin the robin hood of underprivileged .
Jul 30, 4:09 AM
Dec 2023
The animation for Ussop sucking up the ramen looks WILD. Ussop became a heavyweight champion.
Aug 14, 7:32 PM

Jun 2024
The animators must really not like robin and usopp's side stories I guess. The animation for luffy's segment wasn't bad though.
But still robin was saved by the revolutionary army lets go
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 214 Discussion

Veethorn - Nov 17, 2009

33 by Titanfan93 »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 213 Discussion

reaght - Jun 5, 2009

37 by Titanfan93 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1120 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Sep 21

40 by batpower3 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 112 Discussion

VARIAchan - Dec 17, 2009

48 by TheStarscream759 »»
3 hours ago

» One piece live action

OiJosuke_____ - 9 hours ago

15 by westernwolfusa »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.