Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 22, 2023 1:13 PM
Jul 2021
ajw215799 said:
I honestly don’t get how people can like this show because the character of Cid is so poorly written that it just makes a lot of the arcs make no sense.

What exactly do you think is so poorly written about Cid? I feel like every boy ever can relate to his fantasies. He's just determined to carry them out.
Dec 22, 2023 1:27 PM
Jun 2021
a Hundred %, for sure.
Dec 22, 2023 1:32 PM

Jul 2020
Truer words have never been spoken.
I had to drop the show at season 2, he's even more irritating in the second season.
Dec 22, 2023 1:57 PM
May 2019
Pretty sure this anime is just not for you if you feel Cid is unnecessary. Also not sure if you know what dry humor is? The contrast between the serious parts and the "Cid parts" are what make it so entertaining for me. I feel like I'd get bored quick without Cid there to balance out the seriousness of it all.
Dec 22, 2023 3:06 PM
Sep 2023
tbh, I won't say cid is the reason why imo the eminence in shadow isn't as good as the other isekai. Sometimes he is cringe asf and sometimes he is cool as dry ice so it mixes. The series will be bad without cid but at the same time, I hope they will execute his character properly. I know, he is made to make fun of anime tropes but other series made it better than cid.
Dec 22, 2023 3:08 PM
Sep 2023
ejleon said:
Apollo_Injustice said:
I get that it's supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek parody of isekai tropes, but the humor doesn't really hit like a parody. I actually enjoy the anime more when it's taking itself "seriously" rather than the weak attempts at humor during Cid's inner monologues. Hell even the girls of Shadow Garden feel like much better characters than Cid. If it were just the girls accidentally destroying Diablos while acting all dark and mysterious with a comedic twist the show would be so much better imo.

Unfortunately then it would be an "all girl anime" which would turn away the average anime viewer.

The problem is Cid’s entire character after he is Isekai-ed

He went from being a anti-hero type that wanted to gain strength and power to help others, to this pathetic lame character that didn’t care about anything, never listened or communicated, and acted like this life was a movie in which he played multiple rolls to his liking, while also pretending that Shadowed Garden is all a game.

None of this has been humorous or enjoyable, because it is so obviously predicable and repetitive.

This anime would have been better to have Cid actually working with Shadow Garden to make this world a better place for the people.

Cid as the leader, with the 7 at his side, and the rest of the cult working in all the land to change the world.

now this sounds more on the time I reincarnated as a slime
Dec 22, 2023 4:03 PM
Jul 2023
I don't like the characters in the show tbh and I think that the show relies on fanservice to keep people entertained
Dec 22, 2023 4:16 PM
Jul 2021
ejleon said:
Apollo_Injustice said:
I get that it's supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek parody of isekai tropes, but the humor doesn't really hit like a parody. I actually enjoy the anime more when it's taking itself "seriously" rather than the weak attempts at humor during Cid's inner monologues. Hell even the girls of Shadow Garden feel like much better characters than Cid. If it were just the girls accidentally destroying Diablos while acting all dark and mysterious with a comedic twist the show would be so much better imo.

Unfortunately then it would be an "all girl anime" which would turn away the average anime viewer.

He went from being a anti-hero type that wanted to gain strength and power to help others, to this pathetic lame character that didn’t care about anything, never listened or communicated, and acted like this life was a movie in which he played multiple rolls to his liking, while also pretending that Shadowed Garden is all a game.

None of this has been humorous or enjoyable, because it is so obviously predicable and repetitive.

This anime would have been better to have Cid actually working with Shadow Garden to make this world a better place for the people.

Cid as the leader, with the 7 at his side, and the rest of the cult working in all the land to change the world.

I think that you got the wrong idea about his character from the start. He never said that he wanted to help anyone else or play an antihero. He was striving to become the Eminence in Shadow from the start.
Dec 22, 2023 6:19 PM
Oct 2023
if you don't like cid, then create your own anime 😒
Dec 22, 2023 6:38 PM
Dec 2021
Apollo_Injustice said:

Cid is a great protagonist, the hell you talking about!?
He better than most average Isekai MC's!
Dec 22, 2023 7:16 PM
Jun 2022
Cestlavie_ said:
Without Cid this anime would be garbage.

fr Cid is my GOAT of the show fr
Dec 22, 2023 9:57 PM

Apr 2021
Jeyyviee said:
ejleon said:

now this sounds more on the time I reincarnated as a slime

I meant someone who isekaied with the character, confidence, and goal to be a leader, not someone who accidentally fell into and took up the position because it was forced on them.

So no, it is not the same.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Dec 22, 2023 9:59 PM

Apr 2021
Stepanime69 said:
ejleon said:

I think that you got the wrong idea about his character from the start. He never said that he wanted to help anyone else or play an antihero. He was striving to become the Eminence in Shadow from the start.

And what is this “Eminence in Shadow” ?

In the Anime … not even Cid new what he was trying to be … so you tell us what this means ?

🤔🤭😏
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Dec 22, 2023 10:49 PM
Jul 2021
ejleon said:
Stepanime69 said:

In the Anime … not even Cid new what he was trying to be … so you tell us what this means ?

🤔🤭😏

Well that's because the "Eminence in Shadow" is kind of like the Jung(-ian) collective unconscious in that it is a generalization of the tropes most commonly displayed by the characters who really control the scene and the plot. Characters like Mafia bosses, deities establishing fates for characters and even small scale tricksters.

Cid wanted to become the physical manifestation of this trope. He wanted to be the trope incarnate! But as with most non-rigidly defined concepts, he isn't entirely sure what exactly makes him achieve that goal so instead he's just marking off things that he'd like to try doing like on a bucket list.
Dec 22, 2023 11:04 PM
Jun 2020
Apollo_Injustice said:
@Cestlavie_ Idk man, the girls kinda carry the show. Especially Gamma and Epsilon.

the girls are just typical characters you can find in any other show... cid carries eminence
Dec 22, 2023 11:08 PM
Jun 2020
V1P3R0P said:
SkypeUwU said:

Fuck u I said ""cid is the reason the show is soo popular his humour and the misunderstanding related to him make this show great"".
Do you understand you fucking twitter users getting offended by everything

Cuz what i said is nothing related to cid being a male character

stop gatekeeping. They are just expressing their opinions.

i think you're lost...
Dec 22, 2023 11:33 PM
Jul 2021
without sid and his chunibyo-ness it would be a generic show which not many would have heard about.
Dec 22, 2023 11:47 PM
Oct 2023
Apollo_Injustice said:

The anime would be garbage without him. he's the reason the anime is so popular and good
Dec 23, 2023 12:27 AM

Apr 2021
Stepanime69 said:
ejleon said:

🤔🤭😏

Well that's because the "Eminence in Shadow" is kind of like the Jung(-ian) collective unconscious in that it is a generalization of the tropes most commonly displayed by the characters who really control the scene and the plot. Characters like Mafia bosses, deities establishing fates for characters and even small scale tricksters.

Cid wanted to become the physical manifestation of this trope. He wanted to be the trope incarnate! But as with most non-rigidly defined concepts, he isn't entirely sure what exactly makes him achieve that goal so instead he's just marking off things that he'd like to try doing like on a bucket list.

But he never becomes that trope … ever

In fact, he avoids it like the plague

He doesn’t even know Shadow Garden is fighting real enemies, he thinks it is all a game or acting roll

He is not a parody or even the extreme of the tope

Dec 23, 2023 12:27 AM
Apr 2020
Interesting opinion, but I disagree. If not for Cid, I would not care for it.
Dec 23, 2023 12:31 AM

Apr 2021
weinergloryxd said:
Apollo_Injustice said:
@Cestlavie_ Idk man, the girls kinda carry the show. Especially Gamma and Epsilon.

the girls are just typical characters you can find in any other show... cid carries eminence

You must be watching the wrong show…

Cid does not carry any part of the story, in fact, he is the one character that tries to play zero part in the show.

The rest of the cast are carrying the main story and even the background story.

Cid, the OP male MC shows up to do this own thing, ignoring everyone and everything around him, never communicating or listing to what is actually going on, and to fight strong opponents, that can never beat him.

It’s speaks and acts so insane, the 7 are always trying to rationalize what he is doing, and to his favor, they give him the benefit of the doubt

Dec 23, 2023 12:32 AM

Apr 2021
IWatchAnimeBruh said:
Interesting opinion, but I disagree. If not for Cid, I would not care for it.

But Cid isn’t the main part of the show, he is the side character that everyone laughs at.

I like the main story, I dislike Cid

Dec 23, 2023 4:37 AM
Feb 2022
Apollo_Injustice said:

I can't believe what I'm seeing I mean come on.
Cid made the show happen without him even realizing it.
Dec 23, 2023 5:28 AM

Jul 2020
no.........................
i'm not an english native speaker
Dec 23, 2023 8:37 AM

Apr 2017
ngl Cid is the carrier of this show lol, he's like Saitama fr, he's not shown enough in fights simply because he is the end of anyone he faces, plus him not taking himself seriously is exactly why i love him, he knows it's all nothing but roleplay even in life and death situations, he never wavers or bow down to any force and he stays the same Cid through and through.
Dec 23, 2023 9:04 AM
Nov 2023
1st thing is cid protagonist you ducks ..😮‍💨😮‍💨😑
Dec 23, 2023 10:10 AM
Aug 2021
SkypeUwU said:
Shut the fuck up, the only reason why this anime is so popular is because of cid otherwise no one would give shit about this anime.

LITERALLY IF NOT THIS SHIT WOULD BE A BORING ASS GENERIC FANTASY
Dec 23, 2023 12:14 PM
Jun 2020
Pls.... I.. m... atomic!
Dec 23, 2023 1:14 PM
Jan 2023
bro without cid this basically wouldn't of existed
Dec 23, 2023 1:27 PM
Nov 2021
Cestlavie_ said:
Without Cid this anime would be garbage.

agreed, I think the juxtaposition of his character is what allows them to be so playful with the story arcs, and makes shadow seem so sick
Dec 23, 2023 1:28 PM
Nov 2021
Delta was my favourite forsure, black jugga jungle
Dec 23, 2023 8:55 PM

Jun 2021
I didn't watch this anime but i agree with you
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Dec 23, 2023 9:31 PM
Mar 2022
nah I watch for Cid
Dec 24, 2023 12:27 AM

Nov 2022
Cid is a really fun character to watch but I get where you are coming from. The misunderstandings can sometimes be cringe and annoying because it hurts the girls. Not always though.
In s2e11 when he made Rose watch her mom, it really triggered me.
Dec 24, 2023 4:48 AM
Dec 2023
if you dislike Cid so much, it means he played his back ground character so well 🤣🤣
Dec 24, 2023 6:54 AM

Apr 2020
Wouldn't this anime without Cid be like One Punch Man without Saitama?

What would be the point of the show then?
Dec 26, 2023 11:13 PM

Oct 2021
Reply to ejleon
Stepanime69 said:
ejleon said:

🤔🤭😏

But he never becomes that trope … ever

In fact, he avoids it like the plague

He doesn’t even know Shadow Garden is fighting real enemies, he thinks it is all a game or acting roll

He is not a parody or even the extreme of the tope
@ejleon What are you even talking about dude? He's always become Eminence character, he just doesn't know it's a 1 big story. And he's also a parody character. Hell, he's the one who makes the story a parody.
Dec 27, 2023 9:08 AM
Mar 2022
Unlike other animes, here Cid is the plot.
Jan 8, 12:29 PM
Jun 2020
Reply to ejleon
weinergloryxd said:
Apollo_Injustice said:

You must be watching the wrong show…

Cid does not carry any part of the story, in fact, he is the one character that tries to play zero part in the show.

The rest of the cast are carrying the main story and even the background story.

Cid, the OP male MC shows up to do this own thing, ignoring everyone and everything around him, never communicating or listing to what is actually going on, and to fight strong opponents, that can never beat him.

It’s speaks and acts so insane, the 7 are always trying to rationalize what he is doing, and to his favor, they give him the benefit of the doubt
I think you misunderstand me. When I say Cid carries the show I don't mean the story, I mean the show itself, the anime. Sure the story is progressed by the girls of shadow garden, but cid is what makes the show enjoyable. If you want the girls you already have a hundred shows in your arsenal for basic harem fantasy/isekai that exist, but cid makes the show unique and actually stand out.

Most of the people who love the show right now would not have if cid was not the main character.
Jan 8, 1:10 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to EdgyLord666
@ejleon What are you even talking about dude? He's always become Eminence character, he just doesn't know it's a 1 big story. And he's also a parody character. Hell, he's the one who makes the story a parody.
@EdgyLord666 • Eminence is isekai OP, but he is not a hero, he doesn’t care about anyone or anything in this new world, accept money and fighting powerful beings, he plays a background character or the mysterious OP character. He doesn’t even care to listen to Shadow Garden, he ignores them so much that he misunderstands all the time, and they just excuse him with their assumptions. Most the time he gets involved, it isn’t to help or save anyone, he is there for a self-serving reason that had nothing to do with what is really going on.

Maybe people don’t know what a parody is.

“an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.”

Austin Powers was a parody of James Bond, that parody movie is funny.

Cid is not a parody of iseaki characters and he is not funny.
The side characters have more depth, are more interesting, and have more humor than Cid.
The show would have been much better without this strange character.
ejleonJan 8, 4:01 PM

Jan 8, 3:01 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to shirayukiren
I think you misunderstand me. When I say Cid carries the show I don't mean the story, I mean the show itself, the anime. Sure the story is progressed by the girls of shadow garden, but cid is what makes the show enjoyable. If you want the girls you already have a hundred shows in your arsenal for basic harem fantasy/isekai that exist, but cid makes the show unique and actually stand out.

Most of the people who love the show right now would not have if cid was not the main character.
@weinergloryxd I think cid is the worst part of the show, he is why I scored it a 6 - Fine

Jan 8, 5:45 PM

Oct 2021
Reply to ejleon
@EdgyLord666 • Eminence is isekai OP, but he is not a hero, he doesn’t care about anyone or anything in this new world, accept money and fighting powerful beings, he plays a background character or the mysterious OP character. He doesn’t even care to listen to Shadow Garden, he ignores them so much that he misunderstands all the time, and they just excuse him with their assumptions. Most the time he gets involved, it isn’t to help or save anyone, he is there for a self-serving reason that had nothing to do with what is really going on.

Maybe people don’t know what a parody is.

“an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.”

Austin Powers was a parody of James Bond, that parody movie is funny.

Cid is not a parody of iseaki characters and he is not funny.
The side characters have more depth, are more interesting, and have more humor than Cid.
The show would have been much better without this strange character.
@ejleon and? None of these disprove him for being a parody of The Eminence in Shadow trope. He is an exaggeration, and he is funny.
Jan 8, 6:56 PM

Aug 2020
But where would all the edgy anime people go to justify being edgy?
Keep scrolling
Jan 8, 9:34 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to EdgyLord666
@ejleon and? None of these disprove him for being a parody of The Eminence in Shadow trope. He is an exaggeration, and he is funny.
@EdgyLord666 • But what is he an exaggeration of? That’s my point, he is not like the isekai male characters at all. So it is not a parody of them.

Jan 9, 1:33 AM

Oct 2021
Reply to ejleon
@EdgyLord666 • But what is he an exaggeration of? That’s my point, he is not like the isekai male characters at all. So it is not a parody of them.
@ejleon Since when do I say he's a parody of the isekai male characters? He's not. He's a parody of edgy, the eminence in shadow, average, the everyman character.
Jan 9, 1:43 AM

Jan 2013
The only reason this anime works is Cid, otherwise it would just be edgy garbage.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 9, 12:41 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to EdgyLord666
@ejleon Since when do I say he's a parody of the isekai male characters? He's not. He's a parody of edgy, the eminence in shadow, average, the everyman character.
@EdgyLord666 hm… first I’m hearing of that. Everyone kept saying he is a parody of Isekai characters. I didn’t get it. What you said more sense. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 9, 12:42 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to LostSpectre
The only reason this anime works is Cid, otherwise it would just be edgy garbage.
@LostSpectre personally, I think the show’s side characters are more enjoyable and have more depth

Jan 9, 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to ejleon
@LostSpectre personally, I think the show’s side characters are more enjoyable and have more depth
@ejleon Not the point, Cid keeps the show grounded in parody. I sure as hell wouldn't watch it if this was purely a serious/edgy show.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 9, 9:12 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to LostSpectre
@ejleon Not the point, Cid keeps the show grounded in parody. I sure as hell wouldn't watch it if this was purely a serious/edgy show.
@LostSpectre so what you saying Cid is a parody of ? It’s changed with each person I’m talking to.

I would watch it and enjoy it far more than this unfunny predictable repetitive boring Isekai.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Hyped for the Movie!!?

Apratim - May 26

36 by OneUpAnnie »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

751 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
Jun 4, 6:33 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2022

734 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
Jun 3, 5:59 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2023

259 by PrimeX »»
May 28, 9:11 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2023

130 by Sayan_Pal »»
May 28, 8:59 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.