SAO is one of my fav animes, its hated for no reason

It’s one of my
Faves as well, watched more than a few times
Mar 13, 2022 6:08 AM

Oct 2021
DragonIncursio said:
L
AsuxAX said:
Personally, I loved the first season of SAO.
The other seasons, meh, not much.

I guess, I liked the season 2 as well but season 3 was not good.

I did not watch season 4 yet, but I hope it is better than season 3.

But you should not take my opinion seriously, you might like it more than me. I did not like the other seasons for a reason that you will know if you watch it. But that reason really depends on you.

Every has their opinion so I’m not knocking that , some people don’t like it and that is fine.

I said that as well in my comment, I don't know why you would restate that everyone has their own opinions while it was already in my comment clear and obvious.
yes.
Mar 13, 2022 6:12 AM

Oct 2021
Zero019 said:
Sword art online was my first anime,very popular at that time and every one talking about it.i watched the first 2 episode in my friends house and i thought it was really cool concept,like how the mc trying to survive in video game.
so i keep watching it and the part where he join his first guild was great,and it was fun to watched because kirito was so op.
kinda forgot the rest but when asuna came back was the part where the show really changed.this is not about adventure or mc surviving the world and trying to beat the game,it basically turn into family romance in video game world.And after yui show up is when the show get ridicilous.and i dont want to talk about the second half.i personally dont hate it,it was the show that introduced me to the existence of anime,but it should end after 12 episode

I don't know why you say it like the romance is something very unexpected or something, the Romance genre is stated in the anime's MAL page.
yes.
Mar 13, 2022 6:20 AM

Jan 2021
AsuxAX said:
Zero019 said:
Sword art online was my first anime,very popular at that time and every one talking about it.i watched the first 2 episode in my friends house and i thought it was really cool concept,like how the mc trying to survive in video game.
so i keep watching it and the part where he join his first guild was great,and it was fun to watched because kirito was so op.
kinda forgot the rest but when asuna came back was the part where the show really changed.this is not about adventure or mc surviving the world and trying to beat the game,it basically turn into family romance in video game world.And after yui show up is when the show get ridicilous.and i dont want to talk about the second half.i personally dont hate it,it was the show that introduced me to the existence of anime,but it should end after 12 episode

I don't know why you say it like the romance is something very unexpected or something, the Romance genre is stated in the anime's MAL page.

Well goddamn i didnt even know anything about the anime,how the hell do i know there is romance genre in the anime's mal page.And im fine with the romance if its not being the main focus of the anime like in sao.they are completely ignore the actual main plot and the premise of the first episode thats why i was not expecting how the show turned to be like that
Zero019Mar 13, 2022 6:58 AM
Mar 13, 2022 6:23 AM

Oct 2021
Zero019 said:
AsuxAX said:

Well goddamn i didnt even know anything about the anime,how the hell do i know there is romance genre in the anime mal's page.And im fine with the romance if its not being the main focus of the anime like in sao.they are completely ignore the actual main plot and the premise of the first episode thats why i was not expecting how the show turned to be like that

So you don't even look at the anime's MAL page, you just add it to your anime list and that's it? Anyway, not that I care.
yes.
Mar 13, 2022 6:24 AM

Jan 2021
AsuxAX said:
Zero019 said:

Well goddamn i didnt even know anything about the anime,how the hell do i know there is romance genre in the anime mal's page.And im fine with the romance if its not being the main focus of the anime like in sao.they are completely ignore the actual main plot and the premise of the first episode thats why i was not expecting how the show turned to be like that

So you don't even look at the anime's MAL page, you just add it to your anime list and that's it? Anyway, not that I care.

I added it years later when i discovered this site
Mar 13, 2022 6:25 AM

Oct 2021
Zero019 said:
AsuxAX said:

I added it years later when i discovered this site

Understandable, have a good day.
yes.
Mar 13, 2022 7:01 AM

Aug 2021
DragonIncursio said:
Mcdoclin said:
the first 12 episodes were the only good thing in the whole anime

Have you watched GGO or Alicization ??

I'm not wasting my time on them
Mar 13, 2022 7:12 AM
Jul 2020
it has a really good start and is fun to watch... I had the same thought on why it was hated but then i understood after a couple of seasons, the sequel seasons are just the same plot overused like hell, a new girl plays a game kirito joins it because there's some dude from the laughing coffin gang in it, the girl gets sexually abused, he defeats the bad guy wins the game she falls in love with him and she joins in his harem and it goes on. The only thing that's keeping me watching the show is the animation and the soundtrack at this point that is all...
Mar 13, 2022 7:17 AM

Nov 2019
Well, I only watched 11 eps so far, so I can't say it for sure, but I think it is an enjoyable anime. It does get too much hate, but honestly a lot of people just say it's bad because others say so too and perhaps the first season's second half is bad, not even giving chance to other seasons or etc.
Mar 13, 2022 7:49 AM
Dec 2021
I get you like an anime and people hate it a lot maybe too much so you get annoyed but people are still allowed to dislike an obviously flawed show.People complain about bots for shows like aot but they still exist for other big shows,like Sao.Coming to people and saying oh your opinion is wrong and you can’t say anything else is just as bad as the people hating Sao without watching it.
Mar 13, 2022 8:26 AM
Apr 2015
AsuxAX said:
DragonIncursio said:
L

Every has their opinion so I’m not knocking that , some people don’t like it and that is fine.

I said that as well in my comment, I don't know why you would restate that everyone has their own opinions while it was already in my comment clear and obvious.

You said I shouldn’t take your opinion seriously ,
Mar 13, 2022 8:27 AM
Apr 2015
CHEZARE said:
I get you like an anime and people hate it a lot maybe too much so you get annoyed but people are still allowed to dislike an obviously flawed show.People complain about bots for shows like aot but they still exist for other big shows,like Sao.Coming to people and saying oh your opinion is wrong and you can’t say anything else is just as bad as the people hating Sao without watching it.

Never said any of this
Mar 13, 2022 8:28 AM
Apr 2015
Mcdoclin said:
DragonIncursio said:

Have you watched GGO or Alicization ??

I'm not wasting my time on them

Oh now I understand
Mar 13, 2022 8:28 AM
Apr 2015
DioBrando_69420 said:
it has a really good start and is fun to watch... I had the same thought on why it was hated but then i understood after a couple of seasons, the sequel seasons are just the same plot overused like hell, a new girl plays a game kirito joins it because there's some dude from the laughing coffin gang in it, the girl gets sexually abused, he defeats the bad guy wins the game she falls in love with him and she joins in his harem and it goes on. The only thing that's keeping me watching the show is the animation and the soundtrack at this point that is all...

Are you talking about Alicization??
Mar 13, 2022 10:22 AM
Mar 2021
It's the poster child for 'cool concept, bad execution'.
Mar 13, 2022 10:48 AM
Jan 2021
I know its flaws and problems and by no means its a great anime but non the less, i enjoy it and so will continue to watch until the enjoyment factor diminishes
Mar 13, 2022 11:29 AM

Apr 2017
As long as you're fine with all the girls getting sexually assaulted at least once every season and the fact that all the villains are the same wannabe rapist reskinned every season, yeah, it's amazing.
cunnysseur
Mar 13, 2022 12:45 PM
Apr 2015
Tasel said:
As long as you're fine with all the girls getting sexually assaulted at least once every season and the fact that all the villains are the same wannabe rapist reskinned every season, yeah, it's amazing.

You act like that only happens in SAO ??
Mar 13, 2022 12:56 PM

Apr 2017
DragonIncursio said:
Tasel said:

You act like that only happens in SAO ??

Where in my message did I state that this happens only in SAO? Please clarify.

And the fact that this happens in other anime doesn't mean it's fine in SAO.
cunnysseur
Mar 13, 2022 1:26 PM
Feb 2021
Piromysl said:
It's popular because it works as gateway anime and has actually phenomenal visuals.
Visuals seem to be more important than good writing and those who say otherwise are vocal minority.
Demon Slayer became so popular for similar reason.
In SAO first arc is actually very good and first impression is usually the most important.
It's no wonder it got popular.

But after first arc show goes downhill. Random shit is just happening. Everything conviniently works out for Gamer Jesus favour and everything is predictable.
The quality drop is on Promised Neverland level and that is the reason it gets so much hate.

BUT, if you manage to endure it, first half of Alicization is actually AMAZING. But in the second half unfortunately SAO reclaims the throne of the King of Trash.

It is not even close to being a disappointment like Promised Neverland!!
Mar 13, 2022 1:45 PM
May 2021
DragonIncursio said:
How many people on MAL sh*t on SAO but it still has one of the biggest fanbases on MAL. It’s the #5 most popular anime on MAL, only animes that had higher popularity were FMA, Attack on Titan and OPM. Has 2.7 members currently on MAL

That’s an awful lot fans that like the anime , so I’ve come to 2 conclusions. The first is half the people that bash the anime do it because they’ve seen other does it and just want look cool. The 2nd is that MAL has continued amassing a large number of fans to this site. Either way SAO is highly regarded as one of the most popular anime of the last decade. It has more fans than it does haters.

Is it because Kirito had no development ?? Ohh wait because the second half of the anime absolutely sucked maybe. Maybe the story and plot were inconsistent

And for those of you that think MAL isn’t a good indicator: IMDB’s rating is 7.7 and Crunchyroll has an average rating of 4.5.

So I ask a question , is this anime really hated as much as y’all say it is in this forum ?? Pages and pages of people saying how awful this anime is which is their opinion but they also say SAO is despised by many on MAL which isn’t true

Notice how much higher the scores are for every other series you mentioned? The concept was good but the writing is trash. And yes the 2nd half and ending really put the nail in the coffin for the series. Its not to mention the incest shit with his cousin was some of the most cringe shit I have ever seen.
Mar 13, 2022 1:46 PM

Aug 2017
I mean SAO has not the best plot but it did pioneer some of the Isekai genre

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Mar 13, 2022 2:03 PM
May 2021
official_brown said:
I want to hear a legit reason why it’s bad. Because people will say it’s bad and then like a copy and pasted show that is worse and think it’s a masterpiece.

Like obviously the show has its flaws but it’s a decent show.

Season 2 gets too much hate. GGO has great character writing that turns Kiritio from perfect to imperfect while he works on his Trauma. And they display Sinon’s PTSD very well. The last two arcs felt like fun filler too.

People can dislike the show of course, but most of the excuses are just brain dead NPC responses.

It’s a good show

Every person I had a conversation with in real life always get proved wrong because they can’t ever form good arguments

The incest with Kiritos cousin in Season 1 single handedly killed the show for me. And what the hell was that ending? Let's save Asuna so I can dance with my cousin in the stars...?! Cause fuck Asuna am i right? Still one of my least favorite endings to this day. I never gave SAO a shred of a chance after that. It was a great concept but ended up falling flat on its face. You seem pretty firm on where you stand with the series so I'm not trying to change your mind but can perhaps offer some perspective. There are more than valid reasons not to like the series.
Mar 13, 2022 2:45 PM

Aug 2014
The first half of season 1 was really entertaining. They should have made 24-26 episodes of just that arc.

The second half of season 1, fairy world, it just got stupid. It also lost that sparked that season 1 had, mainly since the element of danger was gone. The cousin-sister was very cute though; Kirito should have ended with her.

Season 2 was just boring from start to finish.

I havent seen any SAO since season 2.
Mar 13, 2022 2:54 PM
Apr 2021
Bro its shit, grow the fuck up. Hating on SAO isnt a trend to hop on, its just has flat out awful writing and development :|
Mar 13, 2022 3:12 PM
Jan 2021
SquanchDaddy said:
official_brown said:
I want to hear a legit reason why it’s bad. Because people will say it’s bad and then like a copy and pasted show that is worse and think it’s a masterpiece.

Like obviously the show has its flaws but it’s a decent show.

Season 2 gets too much hate. GGO has great character writing that turns Kiritio from perfect to imperfect while he works on his Trauma. And they display Sinon’s PTSD very well. The last two arcs felt like fun filler too.

People can dislike the show of course, but most of the excuses are just brain dead NPC responses.

It’s a good show

Every person I had a conversation with in real life always get proved wrong because they can’t ever form good arguments

The incest with Kiritos cousin in Season 1 single handedly killed the show for me. And what the hell was that ending? Let's save Asuna so I can dance with my cousin in the stars...?! Cause fuck Asuna am i right? Still one of my least favorite endings to this day. I never gave SAO a shred of a chance after that. It was a great concept but ended up falling flat on its face. You seem pretty firm on where you stand with the series so I'm not trying to change your mind but can perhaps offer some perspective. There are more than valid reasons not to like the series.

Well I can understand, it is a little weird because it seems I guess girly, the ending. But the way I saw it was that Sugu (his cousin) had psychological trauma over Kirito dying and held a lot of regret and blamed herself for her falling out with Kirito. Then once Kirito entered a death games these feelings of her genuine love for him got mixed up for romance. It can happen in real life. But idk if you haven’t watched it in a while, but the ending was that they did save Asuna and they were meeting in ALO being Aincrad came back as an event. So everything was resolved by the time that they danced together, so nothing wrong there. Was it weird, yes. But still, people will blame SAO for small amounts of weird romance between cousins, and then legit watch anime with actual incest in it.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Mar 13, 2022 3:14 PM

Jan 2021
SAO coming a full circle

seems more people are liking it now days and are giving it more credit

then people are gonna hate on it again...
Mar 13, 2022 3:40 PM
Apr 2015
NessyEirik said:
Bro its shit, grow the fuck up. Hating on SAO isnt a trend to hop on, its just has flat out awful writing and development :|

It’s definitely a trend , half y’all just following what others say. Can’t even form an opinion by yourself
Mar 13, 2022 3:47 PM

Jun 2015
Imagine defending SAO in today's world?
Mar 13, 2022 4:44 PM

Aug 2017
SAO is exactly #3 or at least #4 most popular anime on MAL. I remember when it was #3 before AoT s3 part 2. It's only #5 due to the amount of accounts created to upvote FMAB after AoT (twice) and Fruis Basket were #1 in 2019, 2020 and 2021 respectively. That's why FMAB has more "members".
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 13, 2022 5:33 PM

Jun 2011
Deago said:

Imagine still mindlessly hating it.
The chad position is acknowledging both of what it did right and wrong and see how it has attempted to build on itself.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Mar 13, 2022 5:54 PM
Jan 2021
Deago said:

Bro, you don’t even like anime, I wouldn’t even say anything
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Mar 13, 2022 6:35 PM
Mar 2021
Empty deus ex machina harem protagonist, bland harem cast, decent romance, terrible villains (shit, what on earth is with akihiko's writing), pretentious pseudo-conflict, incesto (yes, cousins still count), nonsensical fanservice, and timeskips to the hell.

IMDb is just a different culture from MAL (Gurren Lagann has a 8.3 in IMDb whereas it has a 8.64 in MAL), and also maybe because the Alcilization arcs are slightly better.

Need I say more?
Mar 13, 2022 7:43 PM

Aug 2016
It has flaws, but it is exceptionally over hated. Most of the vitriol I think comes form people who are relatively new to anime and are still stuck in the mindset of applying literature or cinema criticism to it. I think people who have seen more anime are better suited to engage with something like SAO and understand what it's trying to do, rather than forcing some foreign standard of quality upon it.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Mar 13, 2022 9:49 PM
Jul 2018
Ok. Idk what to say. Really.
Mar 13, 2022 11:14 PM
Feb 2022
SAO has its own reasons to be liked and hated. Personally, I think the Aincrad arc was amazing and Alfeim was unnecessary. And Alicization does an amazing job softly rebooting the show, but SAO has a bad habit when it comes to their female characters. Looking at what happened to Asuna at the Alfeim Arc, Ronye and Tiese on Alicization and to Leafa on WoU. However, I like SAO because how much they play a key role to Isekai genre and how many technologies they have predicted before coming to air.
Mar 14, 2022 12:17 AM

Jun 2015
Mienus said:
Most of the vitriol I think comes form people who are relatively new to anime and are still stuck in the mindset of applying literature or cinema criticism to it.

But why is that regressive? How is Anime so different from other art mediums that it becomes exempted from artistic criticism that is applied to other types of literature?
Mar 14, 2022 9:49 AM
Apr 2021
xSatya said:
yes and its hated for a reason bro

Is it because it's "unrealistic" because the game never lags or something like that?
Mar 14, 2022 9:50 AM
Jan 2022
Nathan_Chaser said:
xSatya said:

Is it because it's "unrealistic" because the game never lags or something like that?

Haha, you funny bro, domekano fav tells a lot
Mar 14, 2022 11:46 AM
May 2021
It had potential but threw hard. Could have been so heat but it fumbled the bag
Mar 14, 2022 1:09 PM

Jun 2015
Nathan_Chaser said:
xSatya said:

‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎
Mar 14, 2022 1:55 PM
Sep 2021
Apart from the creepy scenes it’s not bad, to be honest I’m still waiting on full dive tech lol
Mar 14, 2022 3:52 PM

Mar 2021
Yes, SAO is despised by many, just because it's got more fans doesn't devaluate that fact.
Mar 14, 2022 5:19 PM
Jul 2017
Honestly enjoyed SAO a lot every arc was solid except Fairy arc that was filler imo. To be fair though I also watched it when it was airing so it was definitely not an oversaturated genre at the time. Yes, there are writing problems but tbh that feels like every anime to me. Anime is a form of visual entertainment at the end of the day, so it makes sense that most people care about the visual aspect more so than the writing. Of course I’d love better writing but I also realize it’s hard to pace shows comparatively to the source material.

If you like SAO at all definitely give the LN a read it’s much better in terms of writing obviously.
Mar 14, 2022 9:42 PM

Aug 2016
Deago said:
Mienus said:
Most of the vitriol I think comes form people who are relatively new to anime and are still stuck in the mindset of applying literature or cinema criticism to it.

But why is that regressive? How is Anime so different from other art mediums that it becomes exempted from artistic criticism that is applied to other types of literature?

I don't think it becomes exempted from all criticisms, there certainly is some overlap, but I think it's important to recognize both cultural and format differences when it comes to storytelling.

An example of the latter, a criticism which would apply to cinema moreso than television, would be this idea of "show, don't tell". When watching a movie, as an audience member you're locked into the experience; hot media where you are constantly fed visual information. But with television, you're not engaging with the work in the same manner; often people will be doing something else when watching TV, thereby receiving less visual information so this idea of adhering to "show, don't tell" doesn't really work.

In the case of former, we can talk about the structure of a story and criticize it based on how well structured it is. The problem then arises when we consider this idea that this idea of the "standard" three act structure is not very "standard" at all. In Japanese storytelling, two popular story structures are kishotenketsu (four act) and johakyu (which has three acts, but they don't serve the same function as in the "standard" format). So when we talk about an anime being "poorly structured", it often comes from this idea that it is trying to fit into the more western conception of a three act structure, when it might actually be doing something else entirely.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Mar 14, 2022 9:59 PM

Jun 2020
The first half was good. The second half not so much. But yeah, this is overhated.
Mar 14, 2022 11:40 PM

Apr 2018
If it's not a bad anime then I don't know what a bad anime is exactlly.

Mar 15, 2022 1:13 AM

Jun 2021
people generally over exaggerate their hatred for SAO due to the bandwagon bullshit but most people think its just... average

note: popularity ≠ rating
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2012

544 by Kraum »»
May 26, 11:59 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2012

491 by spillkongen »»
May 26, 11:48 AM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.