Forum Settings
Forums

Dressing for yourself: Actually just dressing for other people?

New
Feb 12, 2014 8:25 PM

Aug 2012
Skype chat has been flooding me with stupid-ass topics lately. Have another one.
===========================
Skype log:

Okay then, ignoring that Skype log, basically the argument narrows down to this:

Women (and men), no matter what, dress to impress other people. There's no such thing as "wearing whatever I want" or "dressing to express myself", because at the end of it all, you bought those clothes that you feel like you can wear anytime to impress other people.

Exceptions to the argument:
Forced to wear shitty clothes you know suck.
Being naked.
Hand me downs (even then, you're wearing them to keep your parents happy).
Random shit people will include after this topic.

===========
As a disclaimer (because people are cabbage patch kids), this is not my opinion. It's just a statement to argue for or against.

Now go.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 12, 2014 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
I dress to wear clothes that don't look horrible.
I don't try to hard to look good as long as I'm wearing clothes.
So I don't really think I'm dressing for other people.

EDIT: I don't buy my own clothes so its not like I try to buy clothes that look good.
Feb 12, 2014 8:29 PM

Aug 2012
Battlechili1 said:
But you choose what's "not horrible" based on what you'd think other people deem as "not horrible", no?
Feb 12, 2014 8:29 PM

Dec 2011
For work yes. Everywhere else no. People get mad at me all the time because I wear t-shirts and bb shorts everywhere. I like the feel. And you may be able to argue this, but I personally like certain color, patterns, and logos. I feel like it has nothing to with what someone else thinks or wants.
text27 said:
yes if you read the whole thing...robots will only kill the people you put in-front of them so yeah.

RandomChampion said:
u were that homie in the thong werent u
Feb 12, 2014 8:32 PM

Apr 2007
Fashionable outfits and makeup aren't meant to impress the guys at all. They're meant to intimidate women. - Yoshitake Rika, Genshiken.

The only time I ever dress for myself is when I'm at home and dress in awful-looking but comfortable pajamas.
Feb 12, 2014 8:33 PM

Jul 2012
i dress for one person: myself

i love clothes and wearing things that fit perfectly and look great is almost a hobby. its more important to ME that i look good. everything must present an image of harmony. dressing can be a tiny little bit of an art if you care about clothes and how they fit your body. i shop extensively at a variety of stores to create the right looks.

so yah, it makes ME happy to look good. I am NOT looking for a date! I'm looking to make myself happy. what sort of little creation will i put together today??

yes, i'm nuts. and a bit anal retentive ^^
oddly, i hate makeup. but the hair must be perfect. hehe.
Feb 12, 2014 8:36 PM

Mar 2011
I wear the cheapest clothes I can find as to not walk about naked. That's it.

Good will is a pretty good place to shop. If that fails, walmart. If that fails still, burlington coat factory. And if that fails? I feel bad for everyone else 'cause I'm gonna be naked.
Feb 12, 2014 8:37 PM

Aug 2012
daintybiscuit said:
Daconator made an argument for this:
[8:26:43 PM] Daconator: This is actually known
[8:27:10 PM] Daconator: the only case in which you could possibly dress for yourself is if you are narcissist
Feb 12, 2014 8:38 PM

Jan 2013
We know you are in a Skype group, Mellow.
Maybe next time create a thread without the needless chat dump.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Feb 12, 2014 8:40 PM

Aug 2013
I dress sophisticated to cover up for my lazy lifestyle.
Feb 12, 2014 8:40 PM

Aug 2012
geezdad said:
You said that three Skype threads ago.

And I actually typed out an OP specifically for you~

Now answer the thread before I sic the mods on you.
You totally just want to get in on that Skype action.
Feb 12, 2014 8:42 PM
Jul 2018
MellowJello said:
Battlechili1 said:
But you choose what's "not horrible" based on what you'd think other people deem as "not horrible", no?

Mm...I'll admit I do pick things based on what doesn't look horrible to others, however its not a priority for me to look good to others, and I feel that many other people think the same. I'll explain further with this:

To put on clothes because you have to wear clothes. That is the highest priority of most people. Some people try harder to look good for others than other people while wearing clothes. While most people will try to look good to some degree for others, most people don't care enough (at least from what I can tell) to go so far as to "dress for others". Not only that, but I feel like most people don't put forth that much effort to look good for others. They do it more for themselves than for others. They just put on clothes because they have to. Most people don't care enough to make clothes match and what not, and as such they aren't dressing for other people. You have to put forth a good bit of effort for it to actually be for other people. Otherwise its just trying to not look ridiculous. You don't want to be called a fool, but you aren't doing it to be complimented on either.
removed-userFeb 12, 2014 9:58 PM
Feb 12, 2014 8:43 PM

Jan 2013
MellowJello said:
geezdad said:
You said that three Skype threads ago.
And nothing has changed.

- Thanks~
- No.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Feb 12, 2014 8:46 PM

Dec 2011
I wish I had skype *_*

Not really though.
text27 said:
yes if you read the whole thing...robots will only kill the people you put in-front of them so yeah.

RandomChampion said:
Feb 12, 2014 8:48 PM

Jan 2014
I wear clothes genuinely for myself. Some of my clothes are worn out clothes (worn out level: clothes that make your mom secretly threw 'em out). Apparently I have zero sense of fashion, so people complain about this all the time. And ah, I didn't buy my clothes. My mom bought it for me...
Feb 12, 2014 8:48 PM

Jan 2013
To tickle Mellow's fancy:

No, otherwise I would dress like an idiot.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Feb 12, 2014 8:49 PM

Aug 2012
geezdad said:

Thank you so so much!
Feb 12, 2014 8:51 PM

Feb 2008
I have a lot of anime shirts, and they're all a size or two bigger than what I 'should' be wearing.

The only time I dress to care about what others think about me is when I go to work. My place of work is business casual so yeah, I'd better go in looking halfway decent.

Outside of work though? If I actually cared about what others thought I would be dressing a lot differently than I do. I buy what I like and wear it and I couldn't care if others don't like me or anything about me because of it.
Anime figure reviews:
Feb 12, 2014 8:57 PM

Jan 2014
Obviously when I am working, I dress to impress. Same thing goes for formal venues, weddings, church with the family, funerals, graduations, dates, etc.

However, I do put my own personal touch on things even in those cases. For example, working in restaurants for more than eight years, instead of standard issue uniform pants, I'd always wear nice looking Dickies, usually with cargo pockets. Though the tie was required for managers, I'd always tuck mine in for utility's sake. Rolled sleeves instead of cuffed. Basically, though I was dressing to impress, functionality is more important to me.

As far as casual clothes go, I wear what is comfortable and utilitarian. Usually I'm in camo combat fatigues with a plaid shirt, style and other people's opinions be damned. I am also color blind, which has lead to some interesting situations. For example, this one pair of dress pants I have is green, but I always thought they were brown. My siblings/parents sometimes give me the evil eye when I show up in public like this.

Oh, and no offense or anything, but if I had the choice to push a button and everyone else on the planet would disappear, I would do so in a heartbeat, so no, I'm not dressing for the rest of you... :D
Feb 12, 2014 8:59 PM

Jan 2013
MellowJello said:
geezdad said:

Thank you so so much!
I'm here to please, Mellow.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Feb 12, 2014 9:00 PM
Jun 2012
I like wearing nice clothes to look good. Going to sweats in class looks sort of sloppy unless its 7:30 am...

It shows that you are taking others serious and presenting yourself well. You dress nice to work so customers take you serious. Also who doesn't like wearing a nice suit and tie ?

Wearing anime/videogame/band t-shirts make you a perma virgin. Once you go to college you should start wearing button downs, polos, nice jeans/khakis/chinos, sweaters. Hoodies and t-shirts are still ok to wear, but not EVERY day.
Feb 12, 2014 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
I wear the clothes I wear because they look nice on me and are comfy. I don't care what people think so there's no point dressing to impress other people
Feb 12, 2014 9:02 PM

Aug 2012
IshokuOsero said:
If I actually cared about what others thought I would be dressing a lot differently than I do. I buy what I like and wear it and I couldn't care if others don't like me or anything about me because of it.
For the sake of a possible argument coming up, why do you wear what you like to wear? Why are you wearing anime shirts?
Feb 12, 2014 9:03 PM
Jun 2012
Starchaser187 said:
I wear the clothes I wear because they look nice on me and are comfy. I don't care what people think so there's no point dressing to impress other people

I would fire you on spot if you showed up to work dressing "comfortable".
Feb 12, 2014 9:05 PM

Dec 2011
lazzorassault said:
Starchaser187 said:

What if he considers a suit and tie "comfy"
text27 said:

RandomChampion said:
Feb 12, 2014 9:10 PM
Jun 2012
Damaein said:
lazzorassault said:
Starchaser187 said:

What if he considers a suit and tie "comfy"

"I don't care what people think so no point dressing to impress other people"

That is the whole point in dressing up. I hate people who try to be edgy and "not be conformist to society".
Feb 12, 2014 9:11 PM

Jan 2013
A question for the OP:
Why are you wearing the pants/shoes/socks you are wearing right now?
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Feb 12, 2014 9:11 PM

Mar 2008
They who wear clothing should look to it that they themselves do no become attire. And when you long wear into clothes, the clothes also wear into you.

We are not people who wear clothes, but clothes wearing people!
Feb 12, 2014 9:13 PM

Apr 2010
i dont care what i wear half the time what ever im wearing isnt even clean. I dont care what other people think. I just grab a shirt from my hamper or off the floor throw on the same pair of jeans that i had been wearing for weeks and im good to go.
Its better to have burned out than to have never really shined...
Feb 12, 2014 9:13 PM

Dec 2011
The question was dressing. Not dressing up. You were defining comfy for everyone as what is comfy for you. While your assumption is mostly and most commonly correct it will not always be. But more than anything I'm just busting your chops and being nitpicky.
text27 said:

RandomChampion said:
Feb 12, 2014 9:15 PM

Aug 2012
geezdad said:
A question for the OP:
Why are you wearing the pants/shoes/socks you are wearing right now?
If you say so...

Ckan said:
They who wear clothing should look to it that they themselves do no become attire. And when you long wear into clothes, the clothes also wear into you.

We are not people who wear clothes, but clothes wearing people!
I like weird references like this.

Damaein said:
The question was dressing. Not dressing up. You were defining comfy for everyone as what is comfy for you. While your assumption is mostly and most commonly correct it will not always be. But more than anything I'm just busting your chops and being nitpicky.
Does this work?
[9:16:57 PM] John Katsu: when people say "I wear what's comfy", I think a part of that is "I wear what I could be comfortably seen in"
[9:17:31 PM] John Katsu: otherwise i bet bodyshapers and silk lace panties are pretty comfy
MellowJelloFeb 12, 2014 9:19 PM
Feb 12, 2014 9:19 PM

Jan 2013
I asked you a question, Mellow. Not elite-sama.
And that hypothetical situation he describes doesn't even come close to an argument.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Feb 12, 2014 9:20 PM

Aug 2013
lazzorassault said:
I like wearing nice clothes to look good. Going to sweats in class looks sort of sloppy unless its 7:30 am...

It shows that you are taking others serious and presenting yourself well. You dress nice to work so customers take you serious. Also who doesn't like wearing a nice suit and tie ?

Wearing anime/videogame/band t-shirts make you a perma virgin. Once you go to college you should start wearing button downs, polos, nice jeans/khakis/chinos, sweaters. Hoodies and t-shirts are still ok to wear, but not EVERY day.

Wearing band t-shirts is nowhere near as 'reprehensible' as wearing anime/video-game clothing, or so I believe.
Feb 12, 2014 9:22 PM

Aug 2012
geezdad said:
And that hypothetical situation he describes doesn't even come close to an argument.
Oh no, ignore the argument. Pay attention to the part where I said I'm not wearing anything at the moment...

And sure, I wear clothes for other people. Why not?™
Feb 12, 2014 9:24 PM

Jan 2013
MellowJello said:
geezdad said:
Oh no, ignore the argument. Pay attention to the part where I said I'm not wearing anything at the moment...

What was the point of copy pasting the rest of the chat then?
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Feb 12, 2014 9:25 PM

Dec 2011
I feel like comfy could extend to the mental comfort of conformity, but my point is that it doesn't have to. Which means someone could feel comfy (purely in a tactile sense) in a tuxedo. He said he would fire someone who dressed comfy (his kind of comfy not necessarily everyone's). As I said I'm just being nit-picky.
text27 said:

RandomChampion said:
Feb 12, 2014 9:25 PM

Aug 2012
geezdad said:
MellowJello said:
geezdad said:

Why not?™
For context so people don't think I'm a crazy naked psycho.
Feb 12, 2014 9:27 PM

Jan 2013
MellowJello said:
geezdad said:
MellowJello said:
geezdad said:

Why not?™
Never gets old. Never.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Feb 12, 2014 9:36 PM

Aug 2013
Well, I mainly dress for myself
That is because being well-dressed helps me feel better , more confident etc
I admit that I care about what others think but not much. If the other person is pleased with my appearance it's fine but I wouldn't change my style just because someone may not like it
Feb 12, 2014 9:41 PM

Feb 2008
MellowJello said:
IshokuOsero said:
If I actually cared about what others thought I would be dressing a lot differently than I do. I buy what I like and wear it and I couldn't care if others don't like me or anything about me because of it.
For the sake of a possible argument coming up, why do you wear what you like to wear? Why are you wearing anime shirts?

Because I like the characters that are on them, and they're really comfy.
Anime figure reviews:
Feb 12, 2014 9:43 PM
Dec 2010
I'm impressed at Mellow for the marvelous thread that rejects certain viewpoints right from the start. Such elegant techniques for discussion.
Feb 12, 2014 9:46 PM

Aug 2012
nickless_fool said:
I'm impressed at Mellow for the marvelous thread that rejects certain viewpoints right from the start. Such elegant techniques for discussion.
I'm curious. What ever do you mean~?
congrats on 69 posts.
Feb 12, 2014 9:54 PM

Nov 2011
Why not both? :v
The Art of Eight
Feb 12, 2014 10:30 PM

May 2012
Unless on a special occasion where I'm actually trying to dress a specific way, I just wear whatever I want. Buying what's "in style" and not dressing a certain way just because someone doesn't like it is something I didn't even do back in highschool when I had a higher opinion of people.
Feb 12, 2014 10:51 PM
Nov 2008
I wore clothes from when I was 12 all the way up until I was 19. Why? Hadn't grown, and didn't give a fuck. I have proper clothing now 'to impress' but I look dorky in smart casual too, so I'm not sure why I changed my wardrobe.
Feb 12, 2014 11:00 PM
Dec 2010
MellowJello said:
nickless_fool said:
I'm curious. What ever do you mean~?
congrats on 69 posts.

Compliant compliment, certainly. Do not doubt.
Feb 12, 2014 11:08 PM
Jul 2012
Well, yeah, the majority of people dress to impress other people. That doesn't mean one has to wear the same thing everyday. There's still a sense of flexibility. Obviously there are some types of clothes that, in today's general fashion standard, would be akin to social suicide. It's not necessarily bad either way; I believe that this pressure is inherent in our society.

Personally, I like wearing button up shirts. Eventually it became routine for me and I feel great and comfortable whenever I dress as so. On some days though, I prefer to wear my comfy Adidas sports hoodie.
Feb 12, 2014 11:21 PM

Feb 2013
I dress for myself. I literally don't give two shits if somebody thinks my outfit is horrendous.
KitskaFeb 12, 2014 11:28 PM
Feb 12, 2014 11:47 PM

Jan 2014
Heredity said:
I wore clothes from when I was 12 all the way up until I was 19. Why?

Up until this point in your post, I though you meant you had just started wearing clothes at age 12... :D
Feb 13, 2014 12:00 AM

Jan 2014
I find it really entertaining to sometimes wear my stepdads ugliest shirts just to make other people feel embarrassed being next to me.
Addicted to visual novels omgg
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Given mRNA changed their DNA, is it legal to kill Vaxxers?

vasipi4946 - 1 hour ago

9 by Rhae »»
44 seconds ago

» Why do you need temporary phone numbers?

luckypenguin - Jul 10, 2021

14 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» I bought a pack of Cigarettes.

scarydragon - Mar 29

32 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Anyone ever commission anime art?

ACasualViewer - May 27

19 by LoveYourSmile »»
7 minutes ago

» Fav "D"?

GoatPieceLuffy - May 23

32 by DesuMaiden »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.