Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 24, 2009 2:29 AM

Feb 2009
We all love Deathnote.The question is why? Why Is this anime so popular?
Is it because people all around the world support the end of evil in so barbaric a way?
Killing criminals just because they are criminals is it right?Can they not be reformed?Or is it the only way to protect the weak and helpless?
Some say the world is better off without such cruel beings, personaly I belive so too.
Is Light really evil?
He who used the Deathnote not for his own needs but to demolish evil!
After all he could hav used it for money & power like Hiduchi,but he did'nt.
And he only killed those who tried to stop him.
But then again he also killed those who trusted him,like Takeda.

So does Light deserve to die?
OR
Does this world deserve kira as God?
sadhanaJul 10, 2009 9:24 AM

Winners and Victims stand alone!!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 14, 2009 3:12 PM

Mar 2009
Yes, Light does deserve to die!!
Apr 15, 2009 5:15 AM

Feb 2009
U seem so certain !

Winners and Victims stand alone!!
Apr 22, 2009 1:09 PM
Feb 2009
I don't know...i don't think my vote goes either for Kira being completely evil or needing him as god...
Light was what drove the story...he was my favorite no matter his choice, i was kinda wishing he would've gotten away in the end...don't think neither L or Light had to die...;(

May 25, 2009 7:22 AM
Apr 2009
no i would have 2 say that since he was the 1 that drove the story, although i would want him 2 die for tricking rem into killing L TT_TT
xXSnowCapXxJul 9, 2009 3:59 PM
Jun 1, 2009 1:18 AM

May 2009
well if I have to choose I would've chose for Light nit to die coz this would mean that there will be more of deathnote....hahahahahaha

...rNr...
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."

Jun 29, 2009 11:04 AM
Jan 2009
I think Light should not die because he had the right idea. Eventualy people would stop doing bad things and stop becoming criminals. If he went thruogh with his plan, the world would have been a peaceful and better place for the innocent. I think him killing criminals is just a punishment of a bigger scale but with the same idea as sending a kid to detention if they did something bad. When you punish someone to whatever extent you are thinking the same thing Light ever thought.

When you expel or suspend a kid, the program is ment so that they will not do bad things again. When Light kills a few criminals people around them will get the message sooner not to be criminal--like. That is why I think Light shouldnt die becaluse he was making the world better, a lot faster than jail was doing to those who chose to disobey.
Jul 8, 2009 1:46 PM

Jun 2008
No, he didn't.
Jul 8, 2009 9:51 PM
Feb 2009
Well, im posting again 4 this same question...
it seems the topic is getting deeper...
n yeah, its true that if Light HAD NOT DIED we would have prov been rewarded w more eps
where he would go on punishing da "bad", n pulling off amazing mind blowing stunts to get himself once more free from having his secret uncover but then i think the ending would become a lil dull seeing how it might have ended w him running out of paper, THAN WHAT?
The books specifies certain things, but WHAT WOULD HAPPEN 1S U RAN OUT OF PAPER?
its a funny thought when u see like that, like, is there a netherworld OFFICE DEPOT 4 that*

Though Light WAS bcoming alil overwhelming and seemed 2 PUSHY when he decided 2 call himself GOD he was obviously over his mind at this pnt and egotistic with power.

Punishing the bad is good, I think killing L was what pushed it too far, even for me cuz
i <3 the Ls Duoh, n L was actually 'GOOD'. So then again this really makes his intentions 4 killing n his stance between good n bad QUESTIONABLE.
sadhanaJul 10, 2009 9:18 AM

Jul 29, 2009 6:58 AM

Dec 2008
No! Chu!~

Raito was killing bad people. Without them this world would be better. He had got intelligent idea and he wanted good. But ... someone didn't agree with him ~.~ Uhh.

Aug 11, 2009 4:58 AM

Jul 2009
Never would I choose for Light to die. He is my fav and kicks real badass.

Aug 22, 2009 5:09 PM
Aug 2009
no because the world might have a been place, but he might had to have killed his family and if when he died what would happend to the new world
When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat.Would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil?Or would you remain steadfast & righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?"
Aug 28, 2009 12:43 PM

Oct 2008
At the beggining I tought that what he had done was totally right, eliminating criminals and stuff, but then... Damn, he was crazy. He killed everyone who standed in his way, even if they were innocent. That guy went crazy, doing whatever he liked to. So, the idea was good, but he couldn't carry it out properly.
Aug 29, 2009 5:22 AM

Nov 2008
From the very beginning I was wishing for him to die, or else the story wouldn't have any sense ...
Sep 22, 2009 1:50 PM

Apr 2009
Yes, he did!
He had the right idea but he lost his way and became somewhat messed up. And he killed L >.<
Oct 8, 2009 6:16 AM

Jul 2009
all i can say is...
DIE,DIE,DIE!
x)
i hated kira:Pbecause he killed peoples,who should not die.where know he,that wo is guilty?-.-i think,he was the worst. a student,who is bored,and then kill people?ehh
its absolutely perfect,that he died.its no good,what he died-thats should see everyone.
Sango_chan_desuOct 8, 2009 6:21 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2009 5:10 PM

Oct 2009
xxDANIELAxx said:
I think Light should not die because he had the right idea. Eventualy people would stop doing bad things and stop becoming criminals. If he went thruogh with his plan, the world would have been a peaceful and better place for the innocent. I think him killing criminals is just a punishment of a bigger scale but with the same idea as sending a kid to detention if they did something bad. When you punish someone to whatever extent you are thinking the same thing Light ever thought.

When you expel or suspend a kid, the program is ment so that they will not do bad things again. When Light kills a few criminals people around them will get the message sooner not to be criminal--like. That is why I think Light shouldnt die becaluse he was making the world better, a lot faster than jail was doing to those who chose to disobey.

I couldn't agree more
Jan 5, 2010 6:02 PM
May 2009
Hell yes. He killed L. </3
Jan 7, 2010 10:28 AM

Oct 2009
Light........ i wish he didn't have to die

but it was inevitable since Ryuk said that he would at the very beginning of the story

and it's how all these kinds of stories end. the tragic ending of the main chara

he had good intentions....but he did get a little crazy toward the end....
still, i was always rooting for Light to get away with it.
(also, of course, didn't want DN to end just yet.... but oh well....)
Jan 10, 2010 2:33 AM

Sep 2009
yes he deserve to die,he killed his own father, created a situation of rem to kill L i wont forgive him that >o<
Jan 11, 2010 7:54 PM
Dec 2009
Light was ok at first killing criminals and eliminating the world of 'evil'. But then he went physcho,killing anyone in his way. I would want him to live...if he properly rid the world of evil.Now i Light is sorta my least favorite
Jan 12, 2010 12:02 PM
怪獣8号

Jul 2009
No, I want Light to live. He was a rare genius, and he was doing good by getting rid of criminals. I understand that he had to kill L and the people that were trying to get him because they would imprison him and sentence him to death.
Jan 17, 2010 10:08 PM
Nov 2009
I do love Light, but as I was nearing the end of Death Note I thought that he should die because he was getting a little out of control.

Jan 18, 2010 2:20 AM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
I believe that the world would have been far better if the Kira won, so no, he does not deserve to die, he is right with his plans, and I think that they ruined the anime with the bad ending. :(
Jan 18, 2010 12:04 PM

Dec 2008
I don't think he deserve to die.Althought with Kira world will become a good place or not
for me the part it isn't right is the way Kira dies.Althought as he said being a God he dies in a pathetic way doesn't he?

Jan 19, 2010 4:07 PM
Jan 25, 2010 2:42 AM

Sep 2009
i would kill Raito-kun in the most severe way humanly and inhumanly possible...
Welcome to my happy world now get your shit and leave

Jan 26, 2010 3:09 AM
Nov 2009
Ichimaru-senpai said:
i would kill Raito-kun in the most severe way humanly and inhumanly possible...
XD! Finally, someone more twisted and disturbed than me. I don't mean that as an insult.

Feb 13, 2010 11:31 AM

Sep 2009
Yes, I think he should die. The final scene showed the apogee of his madness - he was no longer a man. He lost in his utopia, becoming a monster - the same as any other murderer before, which he wanted in his youth to defend the defenseless people.
Feb 20, 2010 5:18 AM

Feb 2010
I don't think he should have died but I guess by the end his idea of "justice" went a bit to far, however, I thought it would have been quite a cool idea if he won and became a shinigami himself, obviously not likely to happen but yeah :).
Feb 21, 2010 7:12 AM

Oct 2009
well from my point of view he deserve to die!!
but i don't hate him..i think Light is a very cool character
BADGE

Mar 7, 2010 4:02 AM

Jan 2010
No,the world would have been better with Kira!!!! > <
Mar 9, 2010 1:19 PM

Mar 2010
YES!!!
Light Deserved to DIE! ^^
"I love humans! I love them! I love them all sooo much!"
Apr 6, 2010 9:23 AM
Oct 2009
No he didn't deserve to die....!

Apr 20, 2010 1:12 PM

Apr 2009
Yes, he does deserve to die!! He killed L. I hate Light
Apr 20, 2010 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
death is to easy
having a miserable life instead of a miserable death it would had been more enjoyable BUT
Light didn't wanted to die, he was afraid of death
the thing that you are afraid the most in your life is the thing that waits for you in the end
so yeah he got served

hey I'm just saying >_> I'm not the kid that supra estimated myself
he supra estimated himself
he expected to much of his "perfect genius" side

but the most important thing that I wanted to say
was that: I love you Ryuk
no wonder you are a Shinigami
you always take the smartest decisions ( >w<)b

[XDD yeah yeah hate me]
Apr 25, 2010 7:22 AM

Sep 2009
I don't think he deserved to die .. He just wanted a world without war and thats why he killed the bandits. Yeah.. killing is wrong, but if we think L and Near were willing to kill to prove if the rule of 13 days was true
Apr 28, 2010 10:33 AM

Dec 2009
He didn't deserve to die, he had the right idea , so many people are killed by cruel criminals every day .. he was a true savior for the world . R.I.P. Raito-san!
May 5, 2010 8:02 PM

Nov 2009
xxDANIELAxx said:

You took the words right out of my mouth!
May 15, 2010 3:21 AM
Dec 2009
Voted for No,the world would have been better with Kira.
Well, I think there are a lot of people who would do the same as he did.
Jun 3, 2010 1:27 PM

Jul 2009
Idc who he killed xDD
Light is my fav jerk <3 and he didn't deserve to die >.>
First time i watched DN (2 years ago) i cried so much when he died -_- ..lol
Jun 9, 2010 11:41 AM

Mar 2010
yes light deserve to die but i love light when he was working with L but he killed his father and L ...

and light is the evil one in the anime so he deserve to die ...

thank you for this topic......
Jul 2, 2010 8:57 PM

Sep 2009
Yes, he deserved it. He was crazy! And he killed L!!
I always hated him, he was such a hypocrite >.>
I laughed when he died!
Jul 26, 2010 12:47 PM

Feb 2008
And I cried when he died. He was a great character. x)

I voted that he didn't deserve to die but only because (for some reason I cannot even begin to imagine) the OP thinks there can only be two definite opinions on the matter and people can either agree with the first or with the second or not have any opinion at all. Black or White, Grey can go shoot itself. Right or Wrong, the Context can go hang itself on its grandma Result's shorts.

Anyway.

I don't think that the statement 'Light deserves to die' automatically means that 'he was evil' and 'the world is better off without him'. Nor does 'Light doesn't deserve to die' automatically leads to 'the world would have been better with him'.
Also Light =/= Kira. 'Kira' was the position of 'authority' Light occupied and he did only what his mind considered 'right' given the objective Kira had before him. Light deliberately changed himself in order to match his ideal for 'Kira'. What's the difference? Basically, the difference between a criminal and a political leader/king. The criminal would kill, steal and destroy because (for various psychological and sociological reasons) he doesn't care for the moral beliefs of the community. The king/political leader (let's assume this is someone who does not have any other objectives (like being rich, well fed and other egoistical things) than the present or future well-being of his subjects) does the same things for other reasons. Let's take some ordinary guy and put it in the position of power. To this day he had only done things the community accepted as moral. That means he was honest, fair, compassionate, honorable, etc. But suddenly he has to lead thousands of men and soon finds out that doing what is 'moral' does not equivalent to doing what is good for these people. Let's assume our guy faces the following dilemma: some charismatic idiot with some demagogic ideas which can be quite harmful to the society is becoming popular and gathering followers. His ideas are becoming popular, too but they're dangerous (ala Hitler). What's our guy to do? In a better world he could just shot the idiot, become a killer and live happily. But this is not a better world, this is a world with human rights and free speech where people get angry if someone kills someone else because he doesn't like his ideas. So our guy can't just get rid of the idiot the easy way - he is forced to be smart and play politics. Bribes, lies, blackmails, even one or two murders of unimportant people. In the end our guy saves the stability of the state but is not so much better than our criminal.
Light was in similar position. He sees Kira as the messiah, the new god of the world whose mission and duty is to make it a better place. With any means, at any cost.

Was Light a good Kira? No. There were two fatal flaws in the execution of his plan.
1. For a guy who was supposed to be smart, his self-analytical skills were severally lacking. For just a few months L's list of suspects for a crime, committed with supernatural powers, went from 'anyone on the damn Earth (if it's even a human)' to 'Yagami Light, 19, Japan'. Wtf? This shows not how awesome L is, but how awesome Light is at coming up with new and funny ways to completely f*ck things over. The only things which were required for him to kill criminals were 1. pen and 2. information. So whoever was after him could only use information control to catch him. If they were smart, they could make out his nationality pretty fast. But once they had discovered the general area where the suspect was, they were left with the completely impossible task to prove exactly who he was. Impossible, if the suspect was smart and did not play around with the investigators and did not react to every single thing they did. Simple, but Light stupidly did not take his own arrogance in consideration when making a decision.
2. That's the biggest flaw. Light's plan could not possibly work. Ever. In any dimension of the universe in which Kira did not have a way of knowing immediately when someone committed a crime. And some immortality, too. Otherwise he was left dependent on the police and on his health. At some point in the future he was going to kill all the criminals caught by the police (as the time required to catch a criminal is a little bit more than the time required to write a name in a notebook). Then? He was left with no criminals he knows of and a very demoralized police force that may not be very happy to send people to their death. Naturally, there's always a way to re-moralize them ('catch this criminal or your daughter dies' can be very convincing) but the faith the people (and the criminals, as they tend to be people too) have in him would be severally damaged. Of course, you don't need faith when you have control (what's the difference, some may ask) but that only brings the question - what happens when Light doesn't have control anymore? What happens when he dies? Light's plan was very short-termed. He planned nothing for after his death. So it wasn't going to work.

Was Kira right? If Kira was a book and I had to write a review, I would write: 'The idea was good but the construction and the execution were lacking.'

*Did Light the person deserve to die? No. Before Kira, he was such a nice, brilliant, arrogant kid. *Did Kira the ideology deserve to die? No, and it didn't. *Did Kira the messiah deserve to die? Yes. Bad execution of good ideas is a lot more dangerous than good execution of bad ideas. He wasn't doing his job properly. *Did Kira the person deserve to die? Yes, as people are to be judged by the moral values of other people and the society. Usually, not always.

Why did I vote 'no'?
1. I refuse to be associated with any opinion that includes the term 'evil'. There's no such thing as 'evil'.
2. I'm always sure what I think.
3. I like Light. xD Which is absolutely irrelevant but still.
AnmeaJul 26, 2010 1:07 PM
Aug 5, 2010 8:25 PM

Aug 2009
Light did not deserve to die. He had his own ways of making the world a better place. Sometimes instead of being nice and giving the criminals another chance you have to be firm and make them fear you. Light had the right thing in mind. Do one bad deed and you're just gonna do another, going around in that circle over and over again and hurting so many innocent people you might as well die.
Light also had a lot of wrong doings, i agree on that but if nobody else was going to do the job might as well use the Death Note and help the world with his own ideal.
Aug 10, 2010 1:01 PM
Nov 2009
He didn't deserve to die.
Sep 18, 2010 5:37 PM

Mar 2009
he actually does,but i think it would be better if he remained alive and given a chance to fix everything.

Nov 21, 2010 9:18 PM

Oct 2007
He deserves to die because he killed a lot of people and in the end he just became a monster.
“I dream. Sometimes I think that's the only right thing to do.” - Haruki Murakami
Aug 25, 2011 2:06 PM

Aug 2011
Light Yagami should not have died. There is no real justice in this world. L's death proved that. Light brought forth a form of justice that seemed right to him. Those that opposed him thought their form was right. So who's the right one? There is no right or wrong, only our opinions. It's as is in war. The one side that wins brings their form of justice upon the newly retrieved land. That's all. Some people call Kira a monster, but what is a monster? A monster is someone "we create ourselves" (i quote that from someone else).Even though he may be a monster, he was not as bad a monster as some others. So, with that said, Light should have lived on. :)
You are... eliminated.
Sep 20, 2011 7:27 PM
Sep 2011
Oh, i love this topic, in all of fóruns of death note it apirs
i think that Kira is justice
i always talk a lot about this topic but now it is differnt, it is in english and i dont know how to speak english, but learn portuguese and go to the fórum cald death note Pt, the discussion there is very interesting, yeh, it is in portuguese
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» OK! Wat'll u do if u had a deathnote?

sadhana - Apr 21, 2009

26 by S-quare22 »»
Oct 28, 2017 4:06 AM

» Wat would hav happened if L had picked up the Death Note?

sadhana - Apr 16, 2009

11 by S-quare22 »»
Oct 28, 2017 4:05 AM

Poll: » Most hated Death Note charecter ( 1 2 )

sadhana - Jun 6, 2009

56 by S-quare22 »»
Oct 28, 2017 4:05 AM

Poll: » Most favourite DN charecter! ( 1 2 )

sadhana - Jun 6, 2009

86 by S-quare22 »»
Oct 28, 2017 4:03 AM

» *Quiz* What Death Note character are you?

Katyana - Aug 4, 2011

18 by S-quare22 »»
Oct 28, 2017 4:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.