Is Cowboy Bebop Overrated?
Yes, it's overrated
51.8%
No, it's not overrated
48.2%
1,289 votes
Aug 20, 2010 10:13 PM
Aug 2010
I'm curious to see this. I already know there is no shortage of ppl who think Cowboy Bebop is literally the best anime ever created. So this poll is not actually for a ratio, but more for the raw number count of those that do think it's overrated.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 20, 2010 10:19 PM

Apr 2010
I'm curious to see what you think Cowboy Bebop is lacking, since you rated it a 4.

Aug 20, 2010 10:23 PM

Jul 2009
I thought we already have this kind of thread,
Yes it is overrated, i rate it 10
Aug 20, 2010 10:24 PM

Apr 2010
I thought it was good, but nowhere near deserving all the praise it gets. Maybe someone could help me understand why this show is so great.
Aug 20, 2010 10:26 PM

Jun 2009
It is not near my favorite either. I found it quite hard to get though. People always say that it is the best, such and such. However, I can not say that I favored it high. So is it overrated, yes without a doubt. I don't see what draws people in to it...

Edward was the saving grace...

Edit~ Although I believe this topic belongs in the discussion for the anime.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 20, 2010 10:28 PM
Aug 2010
zharnotczar said:
I thought it was good, but nowhere near deserving all the praise it gets. Maybe someone could help me understand why this show is so great.

i'm exactly in the same boat. i will continue to bash on its overratedness, but i truly am open ears to what makes it so great.

i've heard "the atmosphere and everything is just so cool", which i disagree with
i've heard "it's so unique", when i actually thought it was pretty commonplace of a setting.
i've heard "the characters are so well-developed", i suppose they aren't underdeveloped, but i didn't think it was outstanding. Wolf and Spice does char developed way better. Also, i didn't think the characters in Cowboy bebop were so extremely developed either.

that's a surprise, with overratedness in the lead...
gwhoAug 20, 2010 10:32 PM
Aug 20, 2010 10:43 PM

May 2010
Wrong forum.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 20, 2010 10:48 PM

Jul 2009
Dude, now i can see why you made this thread, just go to that guy who post Naruto is crap in your profile and talk with that guy
Aug 20, 2010 10:49 PM

Sep 2008
oh well haters gonna hate.

you can nit pick any anime to death no matter what quality it is.

edit: Oh wait just noticed One Piece as OPs favorite anime.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 20, 2010 10:55 PM

May 2009
gwho said:
zharnotczar said:

i'm exactly in the same boat. i will continue to bash on its overratedness, but i truly am open ears to what makes it so great.

i've heard "the atmosphere and everything is just so cool", which i disagree with
i've heard "it's so unique", when i actually thought it was pretty commonplace of a setting.
i've heard "the characters are so well-developed", i suppose they aren't underdeveloped, but i didn't think it was outstanding. Wolf and Spice does char developed way better. Also, i didn't think the characters in Cowboy bebop were so extremely developed either.

that's a surprise, with overratedness in the lead...
and that is what you call an opinion....everybody has one, everybody's entitled to one....fanboys love it haters, well hate it....it's just that, there's a lot more people liking it than there are hating it....

...rNr...
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."

Aug 20, 2010 11:03 PM

Feb 2010
maybe a little
Aug 20, 2010 11:06 PM
Aug 2010
Jigero said:
oh well haters gonna hate.

you can nit pick any anime to death no matter what quality it is.

edit: Oh wait just noticed One Piece as OPs favorite anime.

um no?

and that is what you call an opinion....everybody has one, everybody's entitled to one....fanboys love it haters, well hate it....it's just that, there's a lot more people liking it than there are hating it....

...rNr...

i understand, im more curious as to specific reasons why.

i only start hating as a reaction to something getting more than desereved acclaim in my eyes.
gwhoAug 20, 2010 11:43 PM
Aug 20, 2010 11:07 PM

Aug 2009
cowboy bebop set a milestone for anime, and whilst I won't say its teh best for our time now, what i can say is that it was one of teh best when most of you was still watching flinstones...and for those who rate moe blobs on a higher scale but can't seem to like CB or gets bored of it, will have to understand that there are others out there who actually look for more then something that is kawaii

cowboy bebop is still rated high after 10yrs from its original...that's saying something
Aug 20, 2010 11:10 PM

Feb 2010
it was good but not anywhere near the very top
Aug 20, 2010 11:17 PM

Feb 2010
Who cares if its overrated. What's important is if you yourself liked it or not. There's no universal answer when it comes to people's tastes in entertainment.
Aug 20, 2010 11:19 PM
Aug 2010
TensaiShonen said:
cowboy bebop set a milestone for anime, and whilst I won't say its teh best for our time now, what i can say is that it was one of teh best when most of you was still watching flinstones...and for those who rate moe blobs on a higher scale but can't seem to like CB or gets bored of it, will have to understand that there are others out there who actually look for more then something that is kawaii

cowboy bebop is still rated high over 10yrs later...that's saying something

i did watch it way later, quite recently. so the timeframe as a milestone i understand.

yet ppl still say it's the best of all time, which is the only thing that i'm curious of.

yeah it did stem from my discussion with that dude. he was replying to my review. i still am intersted in a poll as well as opinoins of other ppl, not just him. cz it's about cowboy bebop not that dude.
Aug 20, 2010 11:22 PM

Mar 2009
In my opinion, it's a good anime. It's interesting and has a good balance of funny/light moments and serious parts. Not the best anime I've seen though.
Aug 20, 2010 11:22 PM

Nov 2007
Moved to series discussion.

Yes, it is overrated. Not saying it's a bad series, but it does get a lot of undeserving praise, which is largely due to it being a cherrypopper; one of the first series western audiences saw that was actually labelled anime, not a cartoon. It also had a dub most find more acceptable due to the stories nature.

I'm surprised people still blindly praise it so much after thousands of newer series.
Aug 20, 2010 11:26 PM

Apr 2010
When I asked what was so great about it, I was serious. I hear good things about this anime all the time, but I just couldn't get into it. I wanna know so that maybe I can be in on the whole thing.
Aug 20, 2010 11:26 PM

Aug 2009
gwho said:

i did watch it way later, quite recently. so the timeframe as a milestone i understand.

yet ppl still say it's the best of all time, which is the only thing that i'm curious of.

yeah it did stem from my discussion with that dude. he was replying to my review. i still am intersted in a poll as well as opinoins of other ppl, not just him. cz it's about cowboy bebop not that dude.

if I had to sum up CB, it'd be how it was directed and that everything wasn't episodic(pretty similar to Samurai Champloo from same director)....

let me ask you this, if Cowboy Bebop was remade in the same way but with the CG that we have now for our time, would you watch it?
Aug 20, 2010 11:32 PM
Aug 2010
Asako said:

Yes, it is overrated. Not saying it's a bad series, but it does get a lot of undeserving praise, which is largely due to it being a cherrypopper; one of the first series western audiences saw that was actually labelled anime, not a cartoon. It also had a dub most find more acceptable due to the stories nature.

I'm surprised people still blindly praise it so much after thousands of newer series.

thank you so much. your words have been so helpful to me.

I was also wondering about the factor of attachment to a milestone...

sorry about the misplacing of the thread.

Akamitsu said:
I'm curious to see what you think Cowboy Bebop is lacking, since you rated it a 4.

yeah it's not that bad. i gave it a 6 now. a bit overreaction to the overratedness in my eyes.

gwhoAug 20, 2010 11:42 PM
Aug 20, 2010 11:39 PM
Aug 2010
i definitely would watch it.

i'm actually the most curious person to wonder if the graphics was significantly holding back my opinion.

that being said, i'm usually not ultra swayed by graphics. i'm a fan of bare concepts with little delivery.

Legend of Galactic Heroes was epic imo. I really enjoyed it, despite the outdated graphics according to modern standards. But what really disappointed me about Cowboy Bebop was that the level of enjoyment was not as high as it had been hyped up to me. It wasn't very captivating and nothing really struck me as special are unique to the extent i hear other ppl say.

I also loved Samurai Champloo. Every episode was enjoyable, the directing and whatnot. supposedly what CB is supposed to have to the same quality. But i just wasn't drawn in.

Also, it's not the lack of a weaved story line. i'm fine with slice of life/ episodic stuff. (Mushishi, Lucky Star, Working!!!, K-On, Minami Ke, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Azyumanga Daioh)

I was also super into this game called Oil Empires on itch.com that was basically a crude pixelated map, and all the battles and action were numbers on a spreadsheet. basically an RTS with the shittiest graphics you could think of (i.e. none), and on top of that ultra crude sprites and whatever visuals there were left.
I guess comapring it to Evony would be the most concise way to convey what it's like.

Yeah it still has high ratings after all this time. that really does say a lot. My entire deal is trying to understand why, since i seemed to have missed out on the way it resonated so strongly with others.
gwhoAug 20, 2010 11:51 PM
Aug 20, 2010 11:52 PM

Aug 2009
I guess its a matter of opinion as someone had mentioned, and my only advice is to take it for what it is and not what anyone tells you it is. If you don't find it entertaining, it could be that you had set expectations after what you may have heard, and setting such benchmark caan lead to disappointment...unfortunately for cowboy bebop, its had over 10 yrs of people hyping it opposed to anything new

LotGH is epic in that its spanned out to tell a tale...if it had only been a 26 ep anime, I would have dropped it by ep10(or less) so you really can't compare with the 2

I first watched bebop when I was in Japan back in '99 so may favoring that anime has to do with nostalgia more then the show itself
Aug 21, 2010 12:10 AM
Aug 2010
so may favoring that anime has to do with nostalgia more then the show itself

im biased, but i think that bit accounts for a big portion of it. If i had seen it around the time when anime was different, i may be on that nostalgia "CB forever" boat as well. But idk, since i found it to be a quite average.

again, my "hating" is basically a reaction from the overhype. had it not been hyped up to me i would have just gone " oh ok, not the best, it is what it is" and not even start a thread like this or write a review for it hah.

BTW a glimpse of my preferences: my favorite genre's are "brain fucks", where they take you through hatchings of brilliant schemes and where a lot of strategy is involved. I thought the Rock paper scissors arc of Kaiji was just amazing. the rest of the series did not live up to the RPS arc though. Death note, One Outs too... not so much Akagi, since i don't really know mah jong well. Still, i don't think i would have liked a poker anime as much either. Some plans in One Outs are just so good that transcends baseball. I suppose mystery is the closest real genre to "brain fuck"
gwhoAug 21, 2010 12:13 AM
Aug 21, 2010 12:28 AM

Aug 2009
then Cowboy Bebop will definitely not pique your interest as the story itself is now pretty linear to what's out at the moment...with CB there's no twists and you pretty much don't need to watch it a second time just to see if you've missed something
Aug 21, 2010 12:30 AM
Aug 2010
TensaiShonen said:
then Cowboy Bebop will definitely not pique your interest as the story itself is now pretty linear to what's out at the moment...with CB there's no twists and you pretty much don't need to watch it a second time just to see if you've missed something

ah true. i do have a wider taste, just brain f's are just my favorite.
I guess i would hold Samurau Champloo almost to the degree others esteem CB. idk why i love one but don't like the other.

thx for the recs on my wall!
Aug 21, 2010 1:39 AM
Aug 2010
looks like i did have one piece on my favorites. that was a click error.
Aug 31, 2010 10:36 AM

Mar 2010
Well, I finally got around to finishing Cowboy Bebop. Had trouble getting past the 2nd episode but it was good after that

However, watching this, and enjoying it, it really left me wondering, "how the hell is this considered one of the best animes of all time?"

It was good, I gave it a 7, but I just couldn't bring myself to rate it higher. Yes, all of these ratings are subjective and opionated, but there was so much that made it undeserving of those 10's. Admittedly, I rated some things as 10's in my list which is really arguable, but I guess right now the focus is on this anime.

Cowboy Bebop's central theme, characters, overall story line, and episodic stories were all massive cliches. They've been done in movies, tv shows, animes, comic books, and videogames thousands upon thousands of times before

SPOILERS

Spike being a top ex memeber in the syndicate. An ex cop gone vigilnate, a girl who lost her memories. All been done before. Don't get me wrong, they were great characters who were likable. Not by any means original

Taking random storylines...like, boy helping his blind sister through illegal means. Lots of episodes had these types of known and familiar cliches

Spike holding unto his past with Julia, been done

The villian, Vicious, ex Commrade gone evil. Been done.

Cowboy Bebop certainly executed these cliches really well, don't get me wrong. But it was so incredibly far from original that I don't see how it's deserving of a 10 rating. Or even a 9.

However, good animation for it's time, a great soundtrack, and a good cast helped it

Truth is, most stories in just about anything have been done millions of times already, so it's pretty difficult to come up with a "unique" storyline, but Bebop still stuck with the really cliche that we've seen. Guess that's why I think this good anime is really undeserving of the title, "masterpiece"
Aug 31, 2010 10:38 AM

Feb 2010
Its impossible to overrate something deserves a 10.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 31, 2010 10:40 AM

Mar 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Its impossible to overrate something deserves a 10.

Great arguement
Aug 31, 2010 11:04 AM

Feb 2010
It wasn't an argument, it was a statement. Learn the difference.
Aug 31, 2010 11:06 AM
Jun 2010
yes cuz half of the episodes are boring.

Aug 31, 2010 11:15 AM

Mar 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
It wasn't an argument, it was a statement. Learn the difference.

Yeah, a statement with no backing whatsoever. If you're going to say it's a masterpiece at least say why you think it is.

Isn't that somewhat the point of this thread?
Aug 31, 2010 7:54 PM

Feb 2010
As far as giving a 10 goes, there are no objective reasons whatsoever to back it up, it's all opinions to a certain degree, so trying to convince people is just a waste of time. In that sense you could also read some existential irony aimed at this thread (or every other thread similar to this one) in my post if you are in the mood.

Besides that let me just say, that some people surely would enjoy the anime more if it WASN'T considered "overrated" or hyped. The fact that it is, (sub)consciously activates their sense of individuality and therefore provokes defiance in people, making them watch out for mistakes, weakpoints or clichés. Also I like to repeat that this anime is not meant be watched while EXPECTING it to be "the greatest masterpiece". If people would watch it without hearing about the hype, I'm sure they would generally like it more. It gives you everything if you expect nothing from it. I watched it twice under these conditions with 6 years between who made me forget I watched it in the first place, and I absolutely loved it both times. Not knowing about the rating/hype of a series is generally the best way to watch it, but this counts especially for Cowboy Bebop.

Also in the end Cowboy Bebop is just a new genre itself, and as a genre it's not mainly about the plot, but about (the) style, which it definitely has.
Aug 31, 2010 10:12 PM

Aug 2010
Its very different for me. I saw Cowboy Bebop for the first time earlier this year and loved it and I had heard prior about good it was. Needless to say I love its episodic nature. Makes is easier to just turn on an episode and watch.

I don't really mind the cliche stuff because while I'm watching anime I try really hard not to think about stuff originality. What I loved about it were the characters and how each episode was very different from the last. My favorites are Heavy Metal Queen, Mushroom Samba, and Bohemian Rhapsody. But one thing that always sets things over the top for me is the music.

Though the anime is great I still don't think its the greatest thing off all time like others claim but I can understand why they think so.
Sep 5, 2010 5:32 AM

Feb 2009
I don't find Cowboy Bebop overrated at all, it deserves all attention it gets & even more. I watched CB in 2009 (watched some episodes in 1999) & I loved every episode, sure not all the episodes were equally enjoyable, but it was a great watch. The characters were great, the atmosphere was equally enjoyable, but I just can't point out why CB is so good ><...maybe as many of you said that it's the style, but I liked everything about it :)

I have 2 friends who watch almost anything anime, but didn't even complete 5 episodes of Cowboy Bebop, one said it's too old (the animation), the other said it's not that good & eventually dropped it!!

In my opinion the anime world needs more Cowboy Bebop, others may feel that the anime world needs more K-on or Haruhi!! but to me CB is a real masterpiece & I hope there'll be more from its creator ^^
Sep 5, 2010 5:39 AM
Dec 2009
See you space cowboy.
Sep 30, 2010 5:07 PM
Jan 2008
got bored half way thru and dropped it.
The music is great and character episodes were cool. It just got repetitive and long compare to Samurai champloo. I felt 26 episodes is just too much for both shows. I pretty much skipped episodes too only watch the action or plot. For instance, the slime episode was soooo boring for cowboy bebop and Zombie episode near the end for Samurai Champloo left me wit wtf.

Anyways, @gwho if you liked one outs then Gaint killing is quite similar. An innovative soccer coach helps a losing team to win.

Gantz is another mind fuck anime, where people are place in game to kill aliens in this situation. The ending turned out pretty lame but still a nice fix. Like Gantz, Bokurano involves kids in a game. However, there are twists and serious character development.

Desert Punk is a bounty hunter, who is perverted, but when under serious situation, he takes out villains creatively.
Oct 3, 2010 2:32 PM

May 2009
People pay too much attention to other people's opinion and then base the anime's quality on the fandom rather than in it itself. If Cowboy Bebop receives a lot of praise, it's just that there's something in it which draws many people to it. Nothing more, nothing less. Trying to unravel its greatness when you didn't love it is a complete waste of time. Just live with the fact that you disagreed and that's it.
Oct 11, 2010 1:44 AM

Sep 2008
I was going to write something lengthy, but I decided not to.
So i'll just say one word to the "brain fuck" lovers and the OP.
Pretencious.
Oct 12, 2010 11:09 PM
Jun 2009
Lazyfulness said:
Pretencious.
Wrong thread,that one goes into the evangelion Forum,this one suceed in being really different from other animes,and it didnt try some bullshit forced twist ending ,yeah the first episodes are not that damn great,but its just so damn relaxing and not anoyying as other animes with their fucking little girls,or silly physical handsome doods. the difference between Bebop and other animes,its that its APPROACH FRIENDLY something tha tother animes JUST DONT HAVE
Oct 28, 2010 10:48 PM

Jan 2008
I want the people to say it's overrated to tell me if they watched it in english/dubbed or in japanese/subbed.

If you saw it dubbed, then it'll look overrated.

I think it's underrated.
Oct 28, 2010 10:51 PM

Jan 2008
I flood just to show my disappointment of having Bebop compared with Gantz. Now that's a so overrated anime.
Oct 29, 2010 11:36 AM

Oct 2010
Asako said:

not surprising since most anime is garbage.
Oct 29, 2010 11:46 AM

Oct 2010
i like how most of the haters are have shonens in their fav box.

cowboy bebop is ok btw.
Oct 29, 2010 12:04 PM

Jun 2009
s88c said:
Lazyfulness said:
Pretencious.
Wrong thread,that one goes into the evangelion Forum,this one suceed in being really different from other animes,and it didnt try some bullshit forced twist ending ,yeah the first episodes are not that damn great,but its just so damn relaxing and not anoyying as other animes with their fucking little girls,or silly physical handsome doods. the difference between Bebop and other animes,its that its APPROACH FRIENDLY something tha tother animes JUST DONT HAVE

Watch Aria, now that's relaxed and friendly. Also, don't talk shit about shows you haven't even watched. That's bad form.

Anyway, I just don't go for this whole over/underrated thing. Even for a show that I generally disliked like Code Geass R2, I won't use those words. Why? Because they are crutches and, I think, people would rather throw out those words than actually try to point out what they dislike, or liked, about a series.

That said, I do know that Bebop is one of the few (Along with Trigun and SAC) that I still consider as great series after a few years have passed and my perspective on what is good or not has changed.

So, I think it's worth the hype.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 29, 2010 3:19 PM

Oct 2010
In my opinion is not overrated at all.
I can understand that someone says that there are better shows. You can compare CB to GITS, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Akira or other ones, which really deserve it.
But please, don't ever say Bebop is worse than Naruto or One Piece, because, technically, it's not.
Oct 29, 2010 3:35 PM

Mar 2010
voted no

well if a anime is spoken of constantly it cant be helped, you like what you like

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 29, 2010 8:29 PM
Jun 2009
insan3soldiern said:
s88c said:
Lazyfulness said:
Pretencious.

Watch Aria, now that's relaxed and friendly. Also, don't talk shit about shows you haven't even watched. That's bad form.

Anyway, I just don't go for this whole over/underrated thing. Even for a show that I generally disliked like Code Geass R2, I won't use those words. Why? Because they are crutches and, I think, people would rather throw out those words than actually try to point out what they dislike, or liked, about a series.

That said, I do know that Bebop is one of the few (Along with Trigun and SAC) that I still consider as great series after a few years have passed and my perspective on what is good or not has changed.

So, I think it's worth the hype.

ive seen evangelion,and trust when i say i can talk shit about it,because it gets a lot of underserving praise
Nov 5, 2010 3:22 PM

Aug 2010
Yes it is,but still a fine anime

Though I've seen alittle of it,it's cool,I rated it a 8 so far

altought it's not as overrated as bleach,naruto,& evangelion
DBZAOTA482Nov 5, 2010 3:26 PM
Quick like the wind!! Silent like the forest!! Conquer like the fire... Immovable like the mountain!!

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FighterZ - May 14, 2008

183 by Nerdason »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aaronluis26 - Nov 15, 2008

180 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 7:47 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kappaka - Nov 21, 2009

90 by Nerdason »»
Jun 16, 7:32 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HaiAlwaysHungry - May 18, 2009

121 by Nerdason »»
Jun 15, 3:58 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

djinn_690 - Jun 10, 2008

113 by Nerdason »»
Jun 14, 7:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.