Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 28, 2022 4:59 AM

Dec 2020
I watched 6 eps and there is too much plot conveniences to digest.
HeadpattsSep 28, 2022 5:26 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 28, 2022 5:15 AM
Jun 2021
TheFounder131 said:

It is. Up to a point. This show is a slow burner and can only be fully appreciated as a whole once you have finished the whole things. And bits you didn’t like at the start, you will start to love by the end.
Sep 28, 2022 5:24 AM

Nov 2019
SparCy said:
TheFounder131 said:

It is. Up to a point. This show is a slow burner and can only be fully appreciated as a whole once you have finished the whole things. And bits you didn’t like at the start, you will start to love by the end.

Just the same as the above user, plus they spent most of the budget on the last 4 episodes. Classic Gainax in a reversed way to Neon Genesis Evangeline.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Sep 28, 2022 5:28 AM

Jan 2009
ye this is not too realistic or too logical show at all heck one of the main dialogue is "kick logic out and do the impossible" this show is just hype and motivational show
Sep 28, 2022 5:28 AM

Feb 2021
Has tons of thematic depth and clever writing throughout, so not exactly.
Sep 28, 2022 5:40 AM

Apr 2016
First episodes are the worst ones, undoubtly.
You don't have to expect a super explained complex plot, but most of things are explained enough.
Sep 28, 2022 5:45 AM
Aug 2021
ngl but i watched this anime Only for boobies
Sep 28, 2022 5:59 AM

Jan 2018
TheFounder131 said:

Don’t watch it like you’re trying to review Shakespeare and let them take you on a journey of a lifetime.

Sep 28, 2022 6:54 AM
Oct 2020
TheFounder131 said:

yeah, specially in the end u should forget u have a brain
Sep 28, 2022 7:05 AM

Apr 2022
TheFounder131 said:

why are you overanalyzing the only 6 episode you’ve seen so far. Gurren Laggan is about spirals, becoming adult and epicness. It’s not a perfect wrotten story with almost no plothole.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Sep 28, 2022 7:07 AM

Aug 2021
not really. there’s a pretty great story to it all
Sep 28, 2022 7:08 AM

May 2022
TheFounder131 said:

“Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!”

Kamina
Sep 28, 2022 7:28 AM

Jan 2009
anyway this show makes you feel more (excitement and motivation) than think more
Sep 28, 2022 7:31 AM

Dec 2020
hyatlop said:
Only if you have more than one brain, otherwise I don't know how to shut down your "brains".

You lack knowledge cause that's the right grammar.
Sep 28, 2022 7:33 AM

Dec 2020
deg said:
anyway this show makes you feel more (excitement and motivation) than think more

Ok, I had a different mindset while watching this anime. Looks like i need to change it to enjoy this show. But I prefer the show which you know makes the audience think.
HeadpattsSep 28, 2022 7:37 AM
Sep 28, 2022 7:48 AM

Dec 2020
hyatlop said:
TheFounder131 said:

You lack knowledge cause that's the right grammar.

https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/110314/brains-vs-brain

How does it feel to be stupid?

Clearly i am still right cause I used "brains" for general audience. You didn't read the last para of this link?

Here:-

"Now, here is the problem that encountered: "We need to put our brain to work to make sure it stays fit for long."

Should not this be brains and not brain? Because we are talking about our brain that is the brains of more than one people, i.e., more than one of that organ,so should be in plural number. And even if we are trying to mean 'intelligence' then also we should use the word 'brains' no? So, either way it should have been 'brains'. "Brain" is wrong"
Sep 28, 2022 7:48 AM
Oct 2020
Pretty much.

The show is good but is a bit overrated.

It’s mostly about hype and craziness than a mature coherent plot.

It can be a lot of fun, though. Worth watching, but yeah turn your brain off.
Sep 28, 2022 8:13 AM

May 2017
The story will become more serious and add more depth in the 2nd half. Also the show's motto is "Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible". You shouldn't overanalyze every single detail.
Sep 28, 2022 8:25 AM
Sep 2021
It's very Shounen-like. The main character is getting stronger and stronger and the mechas are getting bigger and bigger. The story is OK and suprisingly sad at times.
I don't understand the high rating, but i'm also not a big fan of the Mecha-genre...
Sep 28, 2022 8:26 AM

May 2022
tbf, yes. others say, up to the point, but imo it doesnt change at all, even in part 2, where all the plot holes and conveniences become really unbearable.
so yeah, even in DS you can leave some of the brain activity on, sometimes you may even need to think a bit. in ttgl case, you either shut it off completely, or you simply cant enjoy it properly (well, its just like me). my association with it were "power rangers", yeah its cool and all, some robots fighting, some people shouting in determination, but other than that, zero development and plot incoherence.
Sep 28, 2022 8:28 AM

Dec 2020
hyatlop said:
TheFounder131 said:

Clearly i am still right cause I used "brains" for general audience. You didn't read the last para of this link?

Here:-

"Now, here is the problem that encountered: "We need to put our brain to work to make sure it stays fit for long."

Should not this be brains and not brain? Because we are talking about our brain that is the brains of more than one people, i.e., more than one of that organ,so should be in plural number. And even if we are trying to mean 'intelligence' then also we should use the word 'brains' no? So, either way it should have been 'brains'. "Brain" is wrong"

You said "your" in the title which grammatically should be followed by brain, not brains as you were referring to the organ in "your" head, not intelligence, but please keep coping.

Never miss your English classes.

Sep 28, 2022 8:29 AM

May 2022
AlexPlayer said:
The story will become more serious and add more depth in the 2nd half. Also the show's motto is "Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible". You shouldn't overanalyze every single detail.

That's how Team Gurren rolls!
Sep 28, 2022 8:32 AM

Dec 2020
XalekMe said:
tbf, yes. others say, up to the point, but imo it doesnt change at all, even in part 2, where all the plot holes and conveniences become really unbearable.
so yeah, even in DS you can leave some of the brain activity on, sometimes you may even need to think a bit. in ttgl case, you either shut it off completely, or you simply cant enjoy it properly (well, its just like me). my association with it were "power rangers", yeah its cool and all, some robots fighting, some people shouting in determination, but other than that, zero development and plot incoherence.

ohhh alright, tbh i got fooled by its high anime rating and praises surrounding this show. Looks like its manga rating is more accurate.
Sep 28, 2022 8:40 AM

May 2022
TheFounder131 said:
hyatlop said:

You said "your" in the title which grammatically should be followed by brain, not brains as you were referring to the organ in "your" head, not intelligence, but please keep coping.

If you think too much about the plot, especially towards the end I think your brains will explode! Did I use brains correctly, lol.
Sep 28, 2022 8:49 AM

Dec 2020
CHT13 said:
TheFounder131 said:

If you think too much about the plot, especially towards the end I think your brains will explode! Did I use brains correctly, lol.

Yes you did my friend 🤝
And I will try my best to enjoy this anime.
Sep 28, 2022 10:03 AM
May 2021
it's dumb fun. not something to take too seriously
Sep 28, 2022 11:59 AM
Jul 2022
TheFounder131 said:

Things start to get interesting after the 8th episode (ain't spoiling anything)
Sep 28, 2022 2:06 PM

Jul 2021
"I want everything in six episodes, that they give it to me chewed up and without any kind of convenience, these Chinese cartoons have to be perfectly well structured, because I enjoy watching anime, the robots hitting each other with blows have to have symbolism in each blow"
asas
Sep 28, 2022 2:19 PM
Oct 2020
I've watched GL 3 times.

Once when I was 18 and enjoyed it for the animation and action.

Again when I was 22 and enjoyed it for the sheer scale of the story and world building.

Finally at age 32 where I greatly appreciated the emotional depth, and how airtight this story is in its themes, symbolic imagery, and the way the story is told.

I think age and life experience has provided me with a much deeper appreciation of this show and I can honestly say that the best parts of GL are the character beats and symbolism. Really clever how the the "absurdity" of the plot ties directly to and is also representative of the themes + symbolism and it's no accident. Like a spiral, this story gets bigger and wilder at ever checkpoint without losing character and Gainax created a masterpiece, at least in my opinion.
Sep 28, 2022 5:50 PM

Apr 2022
The episodes you are complaining about are among the best of Gurren Lagann. It might just not be for you.

You are expressing a common issue that highly logical young people have when they encounter stories like this. This story is highly representational and not literal. That’s part of what makes it so good.

The content is very deep, and sincerely profound, but only if you are interfacing with it at the level of meaning and not at the level of literalistic details.

I might come back to this thread and break down some of the elements described in the post, as well as examples of figurative meaning in these early episodes, purely for fun. Reply and tell me if you’d like that and I’ll have a notification to remind me to do that.
Sep 28, 2022 6:32 PM

Apr 2022
TheFounder131 said:
deg said:

Ok, I had a different mindset while watching this anime. Looks like i need to change it to enjoy this show. But I prefer the show which you know makes the audience think.
Damn you are getting so much bad feedback in this thread about the level of psychological depth that is present in this story.

I’m feeling doubly motivated to do a breakdown in here just for fun. I need to get back to my desktop first though to do it properly.
Sep 28, 2022 10:03 PM

Apr 2022
krwnnnn said:
I've watched GL 3 times.

Again when I was 22 and enjoyed it for the sheer scale of the story and world building.

Finally at age 32 where I greatly appreciated the emotional depth, and how airtight this story is in its themes, symbolic imagery, and the way the story is told.

I think age and life experience has provided me with a much deeper appreciation of this show and I can honestly say that the best parts of GL are the character beats and symbolism. Really clever how the the "absurdity" of the plot ties directly to and is also representative of the themes + symbolism and it's no accident. Like a spiral, this story gets bigger and wilder at ever checkpoint without losing character and Gainax created a masterpiece, at least in my opinion.
Alright, back at my desktop. Let's go. Wanted to start by saying this quoted post is a good take. As I said above, it's common for youths to get hung up on details that are irrelevant to the merit of a story. Anime is a representational vehicle designed to evoke emotions in you that reinforce your 'gut understanding' of the themes of the anime. For top class anime it's the underlying meaning that matters most, not the literal actions used to convey that meaning. Krwnnnn's development with age is also unsurprising. I'm a similar age. I first saw Gurren Lagann this year, which is why I immediately had full confidence that it is a masterpiece. On to the analysis.

First, groundwork. This story is fundamentally about obscene ambition and social outcasts. Those concepts are interconnected in this context. We start with a clip of humans considering how to fight a ridiculously powerful enemy and the protagonist responds with equally ridiculous confidence and bluster. And that’s it. That’s the core of the story in one sequence. It‘s a good intro.

Gurren Lagann is full of outsized plot elements, behavior, and imagery (I'm imagining some volcanoes right now). "Fighting all the stars in the galaxies" is an accurate advertisement, not a throwaway line. That's precisely because this story is about achieving what 99% of humanity 'knows' is physically impossible. It's an intentional stylistic choice to reinforce that thematic element of Gurren Lagann. It needs to 'feel' impossible to you, the viewer, as you are immersed in the experience, because that's the whole point of this story. Gurren Lagann is an endless spiral towards more and more ridiculous levels. This is entirely congruent with 'doing what common sense dictates is impossible.'

This story is about a human being becoming wildly successful and reaching the “1%” after starting a lot lower. It’s about the mindset that is a prerequisite to accomplishing such a feat. Gurren Lagann’s creators tell us exactly what they think that mindset looks like, in the form of a character. Obviously, it’s Kamina. Here’s the thing. They are 100% right. You might not have this personal experience, but I have interacted with many people who worked their way to ridiculous accomplishments starting from very little. Universally, what is striking about them is:
(1) an insane propensity for optimism
(2) a penchant for ‘doing things’ instead of thinking about them, and
(3) a large amount of disdain for ‘the average man.’

Kamina is all of that, turned up to 11.

Let’s take a moment to make something clear. I said it’s a prerequisite, not a sufficient condition. Those people are lucky. Others with the same bravado get unlucky or make an untimely mistake and get obliterated for it. We consider them losers. That’s a good segue into the topic of social outcasts. Why is Gurren Lagann about social outcasts? Because the person who actually tries to achieve an insanely high goal must accept the role of a social outcast.

This is trivially true if you think about it for just a bit. You are never going to get above the rest of the herd if you follow the same common-sense recommendations as everyone else. You must find something better. Well, experiment in too many areas and you are a weirdo. You become an outsider by default. Kamina, for better or worse, has the perfect personality to do this because he has complete and total conviction that his way is right and he refuses to accede to societal norms simply to get along with others.

Now, Simon has average ambitions, but large talent. Gurren Lagann tells us that the hero trailblazer marries that talent with obscene conviction and confidence. Simon, without Kamina, doesn’t have a heroic future. He’ll be a nerd in the corner all his life. He'll always be very good at what he does, but no more.

Gurren Lagann, like any masterpiece, 'drills' that message home clearly and efficiently.

Kamina infuses into Simon that capacity for conviction and confidence and propels him to new heights.

As an aside, consider the two other initial members of Gurren-dan. Yoko is a very masculine female and Leeron is a very effeminate male. It’s common for these archetypes to end up in the ‘social outcast/pioneer’ roles of society. The reason is that, just by acting naturally, they’re a little bit weird in the first place. I know this experience firsthand as an especially effeminate male. Once you accept that there’s nothing you can do to fit in, it becomes easier to ‘lean in’ to that weirdness, and buck the mold in other ways. You’ll be a partial outcast regardless; might as well get the benefit of experimenting and finding better ways of doing things.

Gurren Lagann reminds us that there are better ways of doing things with Rossiu and Father Magin. In this village, the leader has perpetuated a convenient lie that keeps his society stable. This is crucially important to the thematic content of Gurren Lagann. At the end of the day, humans need to cooperate with each other enough to maintain civilization. If everyone went haring off like Kamina doing whatever they want it would all fall apart. Every society has convenient lies that outcasts can benefit from (simply through the inherent advantage of the truth). Gurren Lagann's story continues to riff on this topic, and its take is impressively nuanced.

The primary way that people fail in the journey to the top is accepting being an outcast. For most humans, loneliness is highly distressing. When everyone around you says, “That’s crazy, you should do it the other way,” it takes a special person to say “nah, fuck y’all, I’m doing it my way instead." Kamina is that ‘specialness’ embodied. Gurren Lagann is Kamina’s invitation to pursue the life of a social outcast, with all the potential for heroism that entails.

Alright, so, people being able to pilot Ganmen. An individual’s pilot skill in a Ganmen is entirely a function of that ‘specialness,’ that conviction, that confidence. Has nothing to do with technical knowledge or physical coordination or any of that. This is what Kamina means when he says it takes ‘fighting spirit.’ Ganmen pilot skill allegorizes a certain psychological mindset that is rare in humans.

This is why it matters so much that Father Magin and Rossiu can pilot Ganmen. Because it shows Father Magin has the same capacity for heroic transcendence, but refuses the call. He chooses instead to lock his people up inside Plato’s cave and perform horrible rituals to sustain them [Yes, Plato's cave. Did you think that was a coincidence? What a shallow story Gurren Lagann is :eye roll:]. He couldn’t find it in himself to “surpass the impossible and kick off with momentum” (Kamina’s signature phrase). And this is why Kamina hates Father Magin. Father Magin didn’t have the optimism and belief to take a risk that might make life much better for his people. He settled for the ‘safe route.’ Similarly, when Kamina says Magin looks “just like their old chieftain," it's is an excellent example of Gurren Lagann being facially nonsensical (the two are nothing alike under any superficial metric) but profound in actual meaning.

Kamina is referring to the proclivity of societal authority to suppress the exploits of renegades.

And that’s why it makes perfect sense that Rossiu eventually joins them. He can pilot Ganmen, so he has the same innate potential to express that contrarian spirit. Kamina inspires him, just as Kamina inspires Simon. Kamina and Simon elaborate on this topic in an entirely metaphorical discussion which starts with Kamina talking about our eyes being in the front of our heads.

How else do we know that the Ganmen are an external representation of interior psychology? Well, Simon keeps flickering on and off in the ability to use his Lagann. When Kamina manages to boost his confidence, he can do it. When he gets discouraged, Lagann is just another piece of scrap metal. Later on you’ll discover that Simon is pretty much the only person in their crew who can successfully use Lagann, which says a lot about his talent. Gurren-dan is seriously dependent on Kamina’s ability to encourage Simon so Simon doesn’t waste his potential. When I talk about Lagann in this way, you can tell that the specifics of how Simon found Lagann and its core drill are completely irrelevant for this story. We all have a Lagann, since Lagann is really a representation of the magnification of our abilities under a certain mindset.

Alright, what’s the deal with combining? Outcasts are lonely. Unless you’re a Kamina, you will experience self-doubt at times and the safe route will be tempting. But two lone wolves is a different story. When Simon and Kamina combine, it represents the mutual reinforcement of that psychological mindset, the virtuous feedback loop magnifying their confidence to take them to new heights in their rejection of the ways of normal society. It’s much better to be Lewis and Clark and not just Lewis.

And this is the reason for all the rigamarole of a manly-looking combination. This message is all about mindset. A functional but ugly visual image of Kamina jamming Lagann into his dome is the wrong vibe. It doesn't show us the 'coolness' of 'the two of us against the world,' the aesthetic of 'nobody can do it the way we can' that only the outsider has access to. (In one of the translations, Yoko even says "there's nobody like them" after one of their combinations.)

That's what a 'glorious combination' means. It's not extraneous to the story at all, nor is it some sort of a joke. But you only see it if you process the story on the level of its meaning and not on the level of the literal actions. The literal actions are silly.

I hope this helps make the picture more clear. There is a lot in this story where the literal meaning is complete nonsense but the figurative meaning makes perfect sense, is profound, and is extraordinarily helpful for anyone who aspires to be a trailblazer like Kamina.

Ima stop now because this post is hella long. I’m happy to follow up later and talk through more examples, especially if you were being honest about liking “shows that make you think.” Gurren Lagann is one of the deepest anime I’ve seen, but you do have to be looking at it through the correct lens (analytical framework).
Sep 28, 2022 10:31 PM
Aug 2022
Well it depends on the episode, but for the most part I’d say yes.
Sep 29, 2022 12:21 AM

Dec 2020
hyatlop said:
TheFounder131 said:

"Beat your brains out" is an expression but that was not what you said in the title, you used "shut your brain" as an organ in meaning, which should be singular. Now keep coping as hard as you can in order to deny your glaring mistake.

bruh

I was joking but it looks like you really missed your important English classes.
Sep 29, 2022 12:41 AM

Dec 2020
ScionOfCyan said:
krwnnnn said:
I've watched GL 3 times.

Alright, back at my desktop. Let's go. Wanted to start by saying this quoted post is a good take. As I said above, it's common for youths to get hung up on details that are irrelevant to the merit of a story. Anime is a representational vehicle designed to evoke emotions in you that reinforce your 'gut understanding' of the themes of the anime. For top class anime it's the underlying meaning that matters most, not the literal actions used to convey that meaning. Krwnnnn's development with age is also unsurprising. I'm a similar age. I first saw Gurren Lagann this year, which is why I immediately had full confidence that it is a masterpiece. On to the analysis.

First, groundwork. This story is fundamentally about obscene ambition and social outcasts. Those concepts are interconnected in this context. We start with a clip of humans considering how to fight a ridiculously powerful enemy and the protagonist responds with equally ridiculous confidence and bluster. And that’s it. That’s the core of the story in one sequence. It‘s a good intro.

Gurren Lagann is full of outsized plot elements, behavior, and imagery (I'm imagining some volcanoes right now). "Fighting all the stars in the galaxies" is an accurate advertisement, not a throwaway line. That's precisely because this story is about achieving what 99% of humanity 'knows' is physically impossible. It's an intentional stylistic choice to reinforce that thematic element of Gurren Lagann. It needs to 'feel' impossible to you, the viewer, as you are immersed in the experience, because that's the whole point of this story. Gurren Lagann is an endless spiral towards more and more ridiculous levels. This is entirely congruent with 'doing what common sense dictates is impossible.'

This story is about a human being becoming wildly successful and reaching the “1%” after starting a lot lower. It’s about the mindset that is a prerequisite to accomplishing such a feat. Gurren Lagann’s creators tell us exactly what they think that mindset looks like, in the form of a character. Obviously, it’s Kamina. Here’s the thing. They are 100% right. You might not have this personal experience, but I have interacted with many people who worked their way to ridiculous accomplishments starting from very little. Universally, what is striking about them is:
(1) an insane propensity for optimism
(2) a penchant for ‘doing things’ instead of thinking about them, and
(3) a large amount of disdain for ‘the average man.’

Kamina is all of that, turned up to 11.

Let’s take a moment to make something clear. I said it’s a prerequisite, not a sufficient condition. Those people are lucky. Others with the same bravado get unlucky or make an untimely mistake and get obliterated for it. We consider them losers. That’s a good segue into the topic of social outcasts. Why is Gurren Lagann about social outcasts? Because the person who actually tries to achieve an insanely high goal must accept the role of a social outcast.

This is trivially true if you think about it for just a bit. You are never going to get above the rest of the herd if you follow the same common-sense recommendations as everyone else. You must find something better. Well, experiment in too many areas and you are a weirdo. You become an outsider by default. Kamina, for better or worse, has the perfect personality to do this because he has complete and total conviction that his way is right and he refuses to accede to societal norms simply to get along with others.

Now, Simon has average ambitions, but large talent. Gurren Lagann tells us that the hero trailblazer marries that talent with obscene conviction and confidence. Simon, without Kamina, doesn’t have a heroic future. He’ll be a nerd in the corner all his life. He'll always be very good at what he does, but no more.

Gurren Lagann, like any masterpiece, 'drills' that message home clearly and efficiently.

Kamina infuses into Simon that capacity for conviction and confidence and propels him to new heights.

As an aside, consider the two other initial members of Gurren-dan. Yoko is a very masculine female and Leeron is a very effeminate male. It’s common for these archetypes to end up in the ‘social outcast/pioneer’ roles of society. The reason is that, just by acting naturally, they’re a little bit weird in the first place. I know this experience firsthand as an especially effeminate male. Once you accept that there’s nothing you can do to fit in, it becomes easier to ‘lean in’ to that weirdness, and buck the mold in other ways. You’ll be a partial outcast regardless; might as well get the benefit of experimenting and finding better ways of doing things.

Gurren Lagann reminds us that there are better ways of doing things with Rossiu and Father Magin. In this village, the leader has perpetuated a convenient lie that keeps his society stable. This is crucially important to the thematic content of Gurren Lagann. At the end of the day, humans need to cooperate with each other enough to maintain civilization. If everyone went haring off like Kamina doing whatever they want it would all fall apart. Every society has convenient lies that outcasts can benefit from (simply through the inherent advantage of the truth). Gurren Lagann's story continues to riff on this topic, and its take is impressively nuanced.

The primary way that people fail in the journey to the top is accepting being an outcast. For most humans, loneliness is highly distressing. When everyone around you says, “That’s crazy, you should do it the other way,” it takes a special person to say “nah, fuck y’all, I’m doing it my way instead." Kamina is that ‘specialness’ embodied. Gurren Lagann is Kamina’s invitation to pursue the life of a social outcast, with all the potential for heroism that entails.

Alright, so, people being able to pilot Ganmen. An individual’s pilot skill in a Ganmen is entirely a function of that ‘specialness,’ that conviction, that confidence. Has nothing to do with technical knowledge or physical coordination or any of that. This is what Kamina means when he says it takes ‘fighting spirit.’ Ganmen pilot skill allegorizes a certain psychological mindset that is rare in humans.

This is why it matters so much that Father Magin and Rossiu can pilot Ganmen. Because it shows Father Magin has the same capacity for heroic transcendence, but refuses the call. He chooses instead to lock his people up inside Plato’s cave and perform horrible rituals to sustain them [Yes, Plato's cave. Did you think that was a coincidence? What a shallow story Gurren Lagann is :eye roll:]. He couldn’t find it in himself to “surpass the impossible and kick off with momentum” (Kamina’s signature phrase). And this is why Kamina hates Father Magin. Father Magin didn’t have the optimism and belief to take a risk that might make life much better for his people. He settled for the ‘safe route.’ Similarly, when Kamina says Magin looks “just like their old chieftain," it's is an excellent example of Gurren Lagann being facially nonsensical (the two are nothing alike under any superficial metric) but profound in actual meaning.

Kamina is referring to the proclivity of societal authority to suppress the exploits of renegades.

And that’s why it makes perfect sense that Rossiu eventually joins them. He can pilot Ganmen, so he has the same innate potential to express that contrarian spirit. Kamina inspires him, just as Kamina inspires Simon. Kamina and Simon elaborate on this topic in an entirely metaphorical discussion which starts with Kamina talking about our eyes being in the front of our heads.

How else do we know that the Ganmen are an external representation of interior psychology? Well, Simon keeps flickering on and off in the ability to use his Lagann. When Kamina manages to boost his confidence, he can do it. When he gets discouraged, Lagann is just another piece of scrap metal. Later on you’ll discover that Simon is pretty much the only person in their crew who can successfully use Lagann, which says a lot about his talent. Gurren-dan is seriously dependent on Kamina’s ability to encourage Simon so Simon doesn’t waste his potential. When I talk about Lagann in this way, you can tell that the specifics of how Simon found Lagann and its core drill are completely irrelevant for this story. We all have a Lagann, since Lagann is really a representation of the magnification of our abilities under a certain mindset.

Alright, what’s the deal with combining? Outcasts are lonely. Unless you’re a Kamina, you will experience self-doubt at times and the safe route will be tempting. But two lone wolves is a different story. When Simon and Kamina combine, it represents the mutual reinforcement of that psychological mindset, the virtuous feedback loop magnifying their confidence to take them to new heights in their rejection of the ways of normal society. It’s much better to be Lewis and Clark and not just Lewis.

And this is the reason for all the rigamarole of a manly-looking combination. This message is all about mindset. A functional but ugly visual image of Kamina jamming Lagann into his dome is the wrong vibe. It doesn't show us the 'coolness' of 'the two of us against the world,' the aesthetic of 'nobody can do it the way we can' that only the outsider has access to. (In one of the translations, Yoko even says "there's nobody like them" after one of their combinations.)

That's what a 'glorious combination' means. It's not extraneous to the story at all, nor is it some sort of a joke. But you only see it if you process the story on the level of its meaning and not on the level of the literal actions. The literal actions are silly.

I hope this helps make the picture more clear. There is a lot in this story where the literal meaning is complete nonsense but the figurative meaning makes perfect sense, is profound, and is extraordinarily helpful for anyone who aspires to be a trailblazer like Kamina.

Ima stop now because this post is hella long. I’m happy to follow up later and talk through more examples, especially if you were being honest about liking “shows that make you think.” Gurren Lagann is one of the deepest anime I’ve seen, but you do have to be looking at it through the correct lens (analytical framework).

I ain't reading all that but I am happy for ya.

Sep 29, 2022 12:46 AM

Apr 2022
TheFounder131 said:

good analysis tbh. Now i will probably watch GL with a new mindset which you just unlocked.
But Why GL manga is rated so low compared to its anime?

Hahaha, I must admit, that meme did come to mind after I saw how damn long my post was.

Thanks. GL manga is ranked low because GL is an original anime, so the manga is just a spinoff. That helps in how good GL is, because the creators are basically tailoring it to the anime medium.

I feel like there's really only so high you can go when you adapt a manga, cuz like, you know, it's literally designed to be consumed another way.
Sep 29, 2022 12:49 AM

Jan 2009
@TheFounder131

Gurren Lagann is an original anime and the manga is just a 1:1 adaptation of the anime so it offered nothing new at all
Sep 29, 2022 12:56 AM

Dec 2020
ScionOfCyan said:
TheFounder131 said:

good analysis tbh. Now i will probably watch GL with a new mindset which you just unlocked.
But Why GL manga is rated so low compared to its anime?

Hahaha, I must admit, that meme did come to mind after I saw how damn long my post was.

Thanks. GL manga is ranked low because GL is an original anime, so the manga is just a spinoff. That helps in how good GL is, because the creators are basically tailoring it to the anime medium.

I feel like there's really only so high you can go when you adapt a manga, cuz like, you know, it's literally designed to be consumed another way.

Alright got it.......

Sep 29, 2022 1:09 AM

May 2021
TheFounder131 said:
hyatlop said:

"Beat your brains out" is an expression but that was not what you said in the title, you used "shut your brain" as an organ in meaning, which should be singular. Now keep coping as hard as you can in order to deny your glaring mistake.

bruh

I was joking but it looks like you really missed your important English classes.

Never once I thought 2 people debating about English grammar on Gurren Lagann thread LMAO.

Btw there is no exact right answer since it depends on the question intent whether it's a personal question (singular) or to more than one person (plural). In this context, it's the right answer to use "brains" since this is a thread question which open for public. Your welcome, now please shake hands and chill.

Sep 29, 2022 1:25 AM

Dec 2020
Aruchemist said:
TheFounder131 said:

bruh

Never once I thought 2 people debating about English grammar on Gurren Lagann thread LMAO.

Btw there is no exact right answer since it depends on the question intent whether it's a personal question (singular) or to more than one person (plural). In this context, it's the right answer to use "brains" since this is a thread question which open for public. Your welcome, now please shake hands and chill.

Thank you random passerby. Even I said this that I used "brains" cause i was referring to general audience but that guy was too much delusional to understand.
Sep 29, 2022 1:27 AM

Dec 2020
@hyatlop

sometimes you should dissolve your ego and just accept that you are wrong.
Sep 29, 2022 2:08 AM

Dec 2020
hyatlop said:
TheFounder131 said:
@hyatlop

sometimes you should dissolve your ego and just accept that you are wrong.

I see you started projecting after running out of any excuse to justify your mistake. You should take your own advice and dissolve that ego and accept you are wrong.

I shouldn't have wasted my time here. So I take my leave.

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish"

-Euripides
Sep 29, 2022 2:42 AM

May 2021
hyatlop said:
Aruchemist said:

Never trust a guy's grammar who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. "You're welcome". Also, you are wrong, the title was using a single person as an example to refer to a group of people, therefore the singular "your brain" is the correct use here.

Your and you're are pronounced the same when actually SPEAKING so I don't check my writing to be in perfect english before jumping into casual discussion on the internet, but I'll admit "Your welcome" wasn't right. No need to reply, I don't want to have beef.

Sep 29, 2022 5:04 AM

May 2021
i Didnt really enjoyed The Show i cant shut down my Brain on that cringe Anime it was a 6/10 For me Not More
Sep 29, 2022 9:54 AM
Jul 2017
Just don’t watch it.. simple
Sep 29, 2022 5:34 PM
Jun 2015
No. It's not a extremely deep show, but there's mature themes beyond the action to digest. Not gonna claim it's a work of fiction that will be remembered alongside, say, Spirited Away, but there's definitely more there beyond giant robots punching each other.
Oct 1, 2022 9:54 AM
Jan 2020
All I am going to say is that you are overrating logic, art is much more than that.
Oct 1, 2022 11:36 AM
Jun 2020
Definitely not. Guren Lagann might feel like mechas and robot but it's all really about facing maturity and being an adult.

The characters knew the stakes are high so they only knew that they had no choice but to go higher until everything comes to an end at one point. You might be young to understand I get it but ppl who think Guren Lagann is overrated or typical shonen def did not pay attention to the show's depth. Come back when you're older to realize the show's appeal and why it has stayed top one for most people.
Oct 3, 2022 12:08 AM

Dec 2020
DoctorDumbo said:
There is no good anime that you watch with your brain off and gurren lagann is a great anime so no, you don't turn your brain off while watching it.

Also, most of your examples are very nitpicky. It's not weird for the person with the most skill in digging to find something underground and it's not weird for a key to be near its vehicle, not to mention the fact that there are mechas deep underground is explained later in the show. Simon specifically finding it isn't convenience because simon isn't special and anyone finding it could kick off the same story. Also I don't know why you're insistent that piloting gunmen is this complex thing that people need to study before doing even though the anime never claimed it to be.

The kind of conveniences your picking off are very present in any anime. Like looking at your favorites I could pick at AOT with Eren conveniently turning titan right when he was about to die in another titan's stomach or him getting the ability to control other titans right when he was about to be killed by a titan and his whole squad was about to die.

So no you don't need to turn your brain off, just be less nitpicky.

An user above gave me an insight of how gurren lagann really is with his long essay, so i don't have a problem now.

Also the things you talked abt aot, eren transformed into titan when he was in titan's mouth isn't a plot convenience because to transform into a titan you need a reason. When he was titan's mouth he couldn't do anything of his own but he had the strong will to survive and kill all of the titan and this led to his first transformation and this was proven right when he wasn't able to transform in that well because he didnt had any reason to do so, this was even talked in the show itself.

Eren touched the titan Dina which happened to be a royal blood and that is why he was able to command all the titans.

I am not a big fan of aot after the ending but first 3 seasons were great.
Oct 4, 2022 9:05 AM
Jun 2012
The first 8 episodes was peak….then I skipped to episode 16 just to just watch the big fight on youtube. This anime is overrated trash.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Sep 1, 2007

162 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 25, 2007

180 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 7:33 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1153 by yeet24242469 »»
May 30, 2:08 PM

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

22 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.