Forum Settings
Forums

Profile: More anime/manga/character/people favorites? [Waived]

New
Mar 20, 2008 6:59 PM

Oct 2007
I've always found the 5 total favorites in everything but characters somewhat limiting. For me, it's incredibly hard to select just five series that far surpass all the other potential candidates for favorites. The ideal solution, of course, would be infinite favorites, but that would be so abused from here to Amsterdam that it's impractical, but I think even a top 10 anime/manga list would help relieve some of the pressure to have to try and compare apples with oranges to determine which series make it into the top 5.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.

The current maximal number of favorites for each category is 10. There are currently no plans to increase, or to reduce the number of slots.
_Ghost_Jan 26, 2016 6:38 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 20, 2008 7:01 PM

Nov 2007
I agree with OGT, if only because we have 82.1% compatibility. There's a 4/5 chance I feel the same way, right?
Mar 20, 2008 7:02 PM

Jul 2007
That would probably destroy the top favorites list, with people just favoriting any show they like, rather than their absolute favorites. If you have any more favorites just make a section on your profile with "More favorites" or something, that's what the rest of us have been doing until now.

EDIT: yeah i'm sure ive seen this discussed before
_MiV_Mar 20, 2008 7:06 PM
Mar 20, 2008 7:03 PM

Nov 2007
Guys this has been suggested so many times already, Xinil has always said no >_>

Learn to use the search function, I would grab the threads for you to show but I'm lazy right now.

Mar 20, 2008 7:11 PM

Oct 2007
Xjellocross said:
Guys this has been suggested so many times already, Xinil has always said no >_>

Learn to use the search function, I would grab the threads for you to show but I'm lazy right now.

I did use the search function. I guess I just didn't search well enough. Apologies.
May 17, 2008 1:14 PM

Apr 2008
Any chance the limit could be raised to 10 to match the favourite characters at least?

7 isn't really enough for me, 10 would be great. I don't know if I'm the only one that feels like that though.

May 17, 2008 6:01 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
No.
May 17, 2008 6:37 PM

Apr 2008
Okay.

May 17, 2008 8:11 PM

Oct 2006
lol thats not very nice
Sep 6, 2008 12:49 PM
Sep 2008
Sorry if this was brought up before. Your search function is offline. I've searched your forum using Google (which appears to have trouble searching within specific forums), and looked through the first 10 pages but didn't find anything like this.

I'd like to see the limit of number of favorites, be they anime, manga, characters, or people, lifted entirely. You could adopt a system to show 5-10 random favorites instead, like the random anime and manga sections when viewing our own profile logged in or viewing any profile logged out. There would be a link near each random favorite list to the full list of the user's favorite anime, manga, characters, or people.

Right now, many of us resort to listing our favorites in our profile, blog, tags, or anywhere except the favorites section itself because of the current limits, which defeats the point of the favorites section. Showing a few random favorites without limiting the actual number of favorites can also prevent profiles from becoming excessively long or slow loading if that is your concern. We should be able to decide for ourselves how many favorites we name, not according to someone else's standards.
Sep 6, 2008 12:53 PM

Sep 2007
I'm just guessing here since I know nothing about websites except for what I've heard other web owners say but, if everybody were able to choose their number of favorites to list, I think with the overwhelming and still increasing number of users on MAL, the whole thing could end up becoming quite taxing for the server.

But of course, like I said, I'm just guessing.
Sep 6, 2008 1:47 PM

Mar 2007
I can't imagine that space is a problem (I mean hey, if space wasn't an issue with adding doujinshi, what else would be? :P ), rather bandwidth is. So on that point, this suggestion has an excellent solution for that problem.

Though.......I'd rather not see this happening, since I'm guessing I'm not the only one who list their favorites by rank.
You could add stuff around it to make it work, like adding a checkbox if a certain or all entries stay at the same place, or only making it shuffle the entries when the number goes over the max amount, but................is it really worth all that trouble?

The argument has been made before; the favorites section is only for your absolute favorites. If people want to see which anime/manga you like, they can just check your list and sort it on rating. And if you want to highlight specific anime you really like, it might be nicer to give it more attention in your profile info with a nice banner or something like that. :3
Sep 6, 2008 2:07 PM

Nov 2007
Xinil has denied adding more favorites entirely in the past and even though this is a different concept I can't see it being that useful at all.

Since we already have our lists what's the point? I'm pretty sure most people rate their favorites between 9-10 (or maybe 8 for the more critical raters) so that's already a good reference.

No to this :<
Sep 6, 2008 11:39 PM

May 2007
You can always use your "about me" section. And if you feel like it, there is a site that allows you to place images that change after every refresh.
Sep 7, 2008 12:54 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
The more active as a user you are, the more seriously I will take your suggestions. Having 0 entries on your anime/manga lists doesn't make me want to even read your suggestion.

I'm 99% sure you made a new account so you wouldn't have to ask under your other account too. Embarrassed?
Sep 7, 2008 1:19 PM

Mar 2005
Xinil said:
The more active as a user you are, the more seriously I will take your suggestions. Having 0 entries on your anime/manga lists doesn't make me want to even read your suggestion.

I'm 99% sure you made a new account so you wouldn't have to ask under your other account too. Embarrassed?

lol owned

also, RTFF
Sep 7, 2008 2:33 PM
Sep 2008
Xinil:
This is indeed a sockpuppet and I'm glad I used one in an environment where the moderators don't follow the forum guidelines they set themselves.
I truly appreciate all the work you put into MAL but I'd rather not surface if I have to worry about being harassed on every move I make or am judged based on my lists. That thought is shared among other MAL users I know.

Iriya, Boursk, Xjellocross, DaBigD:
You brought up ideas I haven't thought of. Thank you for your responses!
Sep 7, 2008 4:22 PM

Jan 2008
kei-clone said:

also, RTFF

Give him/her some credit. At least this person used Google for searching (even though hasn't read "When Posting a Site Suggestion... ")

@ Kalahari,
I believe still you have scores (which most likely indicate how much you favor a series) and you can always put it on you about me page.
Sep 8, 2008 7:09 AM

Mar 2005
Kalahari said:
Xinil:
This is indeed a sockpuppet and I'm glad I used one in an environment where the moderators don't follow the forum guidelines they set themselves.
I truly appreciate all the work you put into MAL but I'd rather not surface if I have to worry about being harassed on every move I make or am judged based on my lists. That thought is shared among other MAL users I know.

Well I'm sure you understand why you are now banned. and honestly I find this passive-aggressive behavior disgusting. If you have a problem with the way we mods conduct ourselves then you can let us know and we will do our best to accomodate you. Actions like this are just cowardly.

Also, it's misleading to say you were judged based on your lists. It's more like you were judged based on your lack of one.
kei-cloneSep 8, 2008 9:29 AM
Sep 8, 2008 11:16 AM

May 2007
kei-clone said:
Kalahari said:
Xinil:

Also, it's misleading to say you were judged based on your lists. It's more like you were judged based on your lack of one.

I think they were trying to say that they made the fake account so that they wouldn't be judged (?)

(Not condoning making fake accounts for any reason, but you have to admit that people (e.i. newer users) get burned a lot in the suggestions forum, just for not knowing any better.)
Dec 14, 2008 4:21 AM

Jun 2008
Aisu said:
Any chance...

Xinil said:
No.

Aisu said:
Okay.

... and so the topic died :)

It might be useful but I see no reason to keep expanding those "Favorite Sections" on your profile page when you can add as much and many as you want to in your profile's content.
Add your surpreme favorite(s) to the actionbar and add the rest to your profile if it is necessary :3
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Jan 7, 2009 12:55 AM

Jan 2009
i think its just me tho but i would like more spaces to put in for favorite characters, or something like favorite charater from a anime that you watched also just with that catagory seperate from the ones there r already
Jan 7, 2009 1:05 AM
Sep 2007
Please read FAQ.
Jan 7, 2009 7:08 AM

Jun 2008
freedoleen said:
Please read FAQ.

^

What's the point in that kind of poll here on the Suggestion section ..? o.O
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Jan 7, 2009 1:12 PM

Nov 2006
Lol, wow. I wasn't aware the FAQ was hidden to the point where making a thread about something clearly listed in it would be the easier option.

...*adds to Chrome's monopoly over the other wimmins*
Jan 8, 2009 7:11 PM

Jan 2009
=/ sry my bad i didnt read it first. oh well ill just keep stuff to myself =D
Jan 18, 2009 10:38 AM

Nov 2008
That would be good! I was disappointed to find out I could only add 10....ravenous anime fans are bound to fall in love with more than 10 characters! :D ♥
I become lost on the animal trail without a way back...It was a dream that I had somewhere, a deja vu that I recall.....
Jan 18, 2009 10:42 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
No.

Read the FAQ.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 18, 2009 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
You could just show them on your about me section like other people do
Jan 18, 2009 10:50 AM

Oct 2007
Xinil needs to whip up a script that prevents any post with the phrases "more than" and "favorites" from being posted.
Jan 18, 2009 1:24 PM

Nov 2008
PEOPLE! I'm just saying. I didn't order you to change it. Relax. >_> Good grief.
I become lost on the animal trail without a way back...It was a dream that I had somewhere, a deja vu that I recall.....
Jan 18, 2009 1:50 PM

May 2007
Morticon said:
PEOPLE! I'm just saying. I didn't order you to change it. Relax. >_> Good grief.

Lol. Well, here's the thing. I understand that you're somewhat new to the site, but next time around, try and use the search function to search for a suggestion you have in mind before posting. This specific suggestion has been asked about 100 times (if not more). It'll prevent those mean remarks that accompany the responses to this suggestion.
Jun 8, 2009 4:26 AM

Dec 2008
I know maybe most of the users are complaining on that, so, I thought to myself:
Why we need to add ONLY 10 characters, 5 animes, 5 mangas and 7 people?

Can Xinil to upgrade this list?

If there is a topic like that, link it here ^____^

And that's it. Na-no-ne/De-aru/Relo XD
Jun 8, 2009 4:28 AM

Nov 2007
Highly unlikely. Though I do wonder why the numbers vary. Should be 5 or 10 for all, not different values for each list.
Jun 8, 2009 4:34 AM

Jul 2008
The FAQ is a wonderful thing. ;)
Jun 8, 2009 4:45 AM

Feb 2009
Wow really? I have been meaning to go through and select my fave charas (I have a lot of them) - I didn't realize there was a limit!
My pokemon bring all the boys to the yard...
Jun 8, 2009 5:14 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
windy said:
Xinil in another thread said:
Increasing the # of character favorites takes away from the purpse of having "favorites".
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2318

Since I've been on MAL, I've had to redefine my definition of "favorite" from "this character is cool" to "I love this character to pieces, think about them a lot, and would buy all of the merchandise related to them." That narrowed down my favorites list a lot.

Use the search function please. And again, no.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 8, 2009 7:06 AM

Oct 2007
Hey guys, let's add our entire lists to our faves.
Jun 8, 2009 11:33 AM

May 2007
FAQ said:
Can we have...?

- More slots for favorite anime/characters?
No

Topic Locked
Jun 22, 2009 10:03 AM
Jun 2009
I dont think there should be a limit on favorites, some people have more than 5 favorite anime and more than 10 favorite characters. I think everyone should have unlimited favorites
Jun 22, 2009 10:05 AM

Oct 2008
Remember to try the forum search first :-)

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=90365&show=0#post7

The answer is a definitive no.
Jun 22, 2009 10:19 AM
Jun 2009
olmecalmighty said:

oh I didnt see that, thanks ^^
guess I have to choose my favs carefully XD
Jun 22, 2009 11:54 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That's the meaning of 'favorites'.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 22, 2009 12:39 PM

Mar 2007
olmecalmighty said:

Thread locked
Nov 1, 2010 5:31 PM
Jul 2008
No, not favorite people....
I was wondering if you guys could make the the people fav's limitless
instead of only 7=[
its making me sad....
and if no, I would like to know the reason.
Nov 1, 2010 5:36 PM

Mar 2009
If it was limitless, there would be users adding way too many faves. There has to be a limit and I think the limit is quite reasonable. If you have any more faves, just mention them in your About Me or make a blog for it.
Nov 5, 2010 4:45 PM

May 2008
Sorry, but I agree with what AlexSadist-sama said.
Dec 1, 2010 8:41 PM

Oct 2010
i was just wondering if the favorites choice list could be made longer. im not saying limitless but perhaps about ten. im not sure about everyone but i think there are atleast acouple people that would like to add one more anime or character that is there favorite. but this would probably create another problem in the future with someone asking for more room for favorite characters if you do this. i supose this topic might not work out the way i would like it to but thanks for reading it and giving it consideration
Dec 2, 2010 1:25 AM

Apr 2008
Mar 27, 2011 11:46 AM

Nov 2010
I simply love too many Anime, Manga and Characters...
I would really like it if I had all (or at least more) of my favorites in one list...
Would it be possible to double the amount the entries possible?
or: make a 2nd list for liking Anime etc.?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is the database algorithm fair?

Lucifrost - May 30

9 by kizumi91 »»
1 hour ago

» Prevent obscure Donghua from polluting the top rankings

Zarutaku - 5 hours ago

3 by Detalius »»
3 hours ago

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

15 by Euthymia_Gerv »»
Today, 12:13 AM

» Loosen Review Guidelines

Unrighteous - May 6

3 by Alexioos95 »»
Jun 1, 8:19 AM

» A Separate Sub-list in completed anime for Movies and specials

closet_-_weeb - Jun 1

1 by Alexioos95 »»
Jun 1, 4:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.