Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 16, 2016 1:46 PM

Mar 2015

Are you ready to Flip and/or Flap!?

I mean, I really hope so or this will be a short chat thread. I will go forwards assuming you're ready to either flip or flap to make things easier. Flap Flappers, as you might have guessed from the name, is quite a strange show. From the very start you're introduced to a very quirky world, something the music has done a really good job of capturing, just check out the music in this PV:

It fits perfectly with the atmosphere they've set up. As you might be able to tell, I'm enjoying Flip Flappers quite a bit!

Rules
The great thing about Flip Flappers is that it's anime original, so there's no source material to spoil future events, but you still have act civil and keep things nice in here! We can't throw all the rules out of the window.

Characters

Flip Flappers has introduced us to a fair few characters so far, but for reasons not known to me, the character profiles on the official site are not right-click friendly, so you'll have to do with my crappy versions!

Our main duo! Don't worry, they don't always have bunny ears. The one doing the biting is Papika, the mysterious space case with a flying surfboard and a yellow robot companion. She doesn't seem to have much common sense but she does know two things, she likes adventure and Kokona! Kokona on the other hand (the one being bitten) is about as normal a girl as you can find, normal hair, normal eyes, normal grandmother, normal thirst for adventure. She is our unwilling participant in the frequent bizarre adventures our dynamic duo embark on. Maybe, just maybe however, she'll learn to love adventuring with Papika...

If you look close, you can see my shoddy attempt at grouping these separate pictures together. From left to right we have the members of the mysterious group that Papika belongs to. Mr. Salt, Hidaka and Sayuri. They seem to be interested in the dimension that Papika can only reach when she's with Kokona, something they call "Pure Illusion". They haven't been seen much, but that's likely to change soon.

Finally we have, the rest! Yayaka, the blonde schoolgirl on the left is Kokona's friend and seems strangely protective of her, especially when Papika is sniffing around. The twins in the middle, Toto and Yuyu, have yet to make much of a splash beyond their one appearance in the first episode and the girl on the right is credited on the MAL page as "Senpai". I'll let you decide on how important she might be in the future.

I'm really excited to see where Flip Flappers goes in the future and so should you!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 16, 2016 1:56 PM

Jul 2008
I still have no real idea what’s going on in this show but I want more!
Oct 16, 2016 2:42 PM

Jul 2014
I applaud your Paint skills!

I also really like that I have absolutely no semblance of what is going on except there's a crystal (??) and it grants wishes (??) when all of it is put together (??)

Mostly, I just like the 'partnership' between the two of them that's so strong that when one is in danger, the other gains unfathomably magical superpowers to save them. That's some pretty gay stuff right there.

Here's more gay stuff:

And still my personal favorite:

If this doesn't turn out to be a superb anime (read: good plot with kisses in the future) my heart will be broken forever.
"First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart!

And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!"
Oct 17, 2016 1:27 AM

Feb 2014
So far I'm pretty much loving it. Mostly because it reminds me so much of the post-2000 Gainax anime - mostly FLCL and Diebuster (Papika literally IS Nono from Diebuster, while we're at it), partially also Abenobashi and TTGL (which is no surprise, given that the director did some key animations for the latter). Visually speaking it's great too, and so the fact that Cocona x Papika is very much possible is just the cherry on top. This is going to be good~
Oct 19, 2016 7:32 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
This is by far the best series airing right now. It is probably my favorite series since Rakugo. The animation and creativity is absolutely glorious. Papika is absolute <3 !! It has been a while since I've rewatched episode of an airing series because I literally couldn't wait for the next episode. I've rewatched both episodes at least 3 times a piece. Great stuff. I'm sakuga freak, so several sequences have had me squealing with glee. I'll stop fanboying/girling now, but really, this is excellent.
Oct 20, 2016 2:20 AM

May 2014
Pretty much everything @KingYoshi said.

Ya'll on that CoconutxPaprika train, but allow me to provide a counterpoint

Go-go Yayaka, I'm rooting for you!
Oct 20, 2016 2:55 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
I like Yayaka quite a bit. That particular scene was great, but Papika trumps all ;)
Oct 20, 2016 7:15 AM

May 2014
Lewd Alien's girls lewd bdsm palace was lewd.

Loved the gung ho transformation scene and Papika's love tirade. The interactions are beyond adorable (say Ahh~) and the animation so fluidly conveys all the adorableness in the faces~

Yayaka and the huggable twins(bai bai~) finish of mean alien girl in style.

Getting a feel of where it's going, can't wait to see more of the worlds and the two competing organisations. Also Yayaka's heel face turn into Cocona's arms! (Crosses fingers).
Oct 20, 2016 5:38 PM

Mar 2015

You sure did, Papika.

The Mad Max vibe in this episode was so real. Considering it's one of my favourite films ever, yeah, I really enjoyed this one. Ya know what else is my favourite? Rad demon chicks

She gave off a ton of Scanty & Kneesocks vibes.

Also, Plot!

Why dost thou betray us, Yayaka!
Oct 21, 2016 6:15 PM

Jul 2014
guys I just love this so much.

Just look at Cocona's face. YOU CAN'T HIDE YOUR FLATTEREDNESS FROM ME.

This anime is so weird but it works so well. The animation is absolutely beautiful and it's so entertaining. I'm highly impressed.

Oct 21, 2016 8:17 PM

Mar 2015
Oh yeah, something I forgot to mention in my last post. Towards the end of the episode, the totally not Ku Klux Klan people at the end were chanting the word "Asclepius"

For those who may not know, Asclepius is the Greek God of Medicine. The Rod of Asclepius is also a famous medical symbol, of a staff with a snake coiled around it. It's often confused with a Caduceus which is a staff with two snakes.

Fun Fact, just in case it might give you clues as to what Yayaka's bros are up to.
Oct 21, 2016 10:06 PM

Jul 2008
Well that complicates things. 💫
Oct 27, 2016 8:00 PM

Mar 2015

Someone needs to get the gif of this part and connect it to a gif of Ace Ventura, when he's climbing out of the fake rhino.

Anyway, it seems like we've started to unravel some of the mysteries in the show. Of course, we have our fair share of adventure as well, but the hints are rolling out slowly. This was a nice bridge episode. I hope it leads into something awesome, with maybe a few more hints at what the goals of these various groups are.

Also, those twins are far too adorable for their own good. Playing Rock Paper Scissors with a cast on? Please. I need to see Yayaka hugging them post haste.
Oct 27, 2016 8:54 PM

May 2014
I loved this even more than the super exciting 3rd episode. This show makes me want cry I love everything here (Even creepy Buu is cute when paired with floofy rabbit). Cocona and Papika bonding and Cocona's questions of self worth. Ending with some intense wormhole flirting.

She's perfect.

The fluffiest most fitting bedroom I've ever seen. Although as comfortable as it looks it'd be hard to differentiate pillow from shell.

Twins are glorious, they just spend their whole life doing twin things. I feel like the sister would win every time.

http://imgur.com/EOgrStP
The static backgrounds are just mint

and lastly
Oct 27, 2016 10:24 PM

Jul 2008
Best room.

Also the success of their missions depend on their yuri bond level. Excellent. 🏩
Nov 1, 2016 7:22 PM

May 2014
Episode 5 PV
Nov 1, 2016 7:52 PM

Sep 2015
Papika is SO GAY! Yuri feels everywhere! I love it! Also, I really empathize with Cocona's lack of identity.
Nov 3, 2016 10:13 AM

May 2014
Episode 5 was scary ;~;
Nope those greetings
Nope the nope those students
and ahhh hell nope that Doll.

Really funky episode, I still love Yayaka and the twins and the whole place was just creepy ;~;
Gay symbols all over the place, I guess that was a symptom of the *doki doki* effect.

I wanted to screenshot the scene in the stairwell with the creepy painting from the school missing, that was the thing the unnerved me the most, but it's the middle of the night and I'm not touching that shit with a 6 ft pole right now.
Grey_106Nov 7, 2016 5:12 AM
Nov 3, 2016 2:09 PM

Jul 2008
Wow, twisted version of the yuri girls’ school world. (Like Strawberry Panic/Maria-sama) Logic of the world promotes sudden onset of mass yuri events. Cute nightgowns, holding hands, and tea. All types of yuri fuel.

I also like that Flip Flapping gives them the other’s color. And at the end of a hard (or many) day’s work, they receive a crystallization of their bond.
YummyLunchesNov 3, 2016 2:15 PM
Nov 3, 2016 3:33 PM

Mar 2015

Pretty much my feelings about this episode, because that was all kinds of unsettling. They did a really good job on the atmosphere of this entire episode, especially the horror themes. Also, the sheer amount of lilies to really set the "theme" of that branch of Pure Illusion.

IMAGERY.
Nov 6, 2016 8:17 AM
Feb 2015
is there a kissing scene?
Nov 6, 2016 8:26 PM

Sep 2015
Kirouch said:
is there a kissing scene?

Unfortunately, not yet. I'm hopeful that we'll get one by the end of the anime.
Nov 8, 2016 4:58 AM

May 2014
Episode 6 PV
Nov 8, 2016 5:44 AM

May 2014
MatsukaFuwa said:

I wonder if they're going to show more about the art girl. (sorry... what was her name? did they even reveal it?) seems like it's going to be a good episode!

I just call her Green hair senpai, I hope so I love her!
Even if I do kind of suspect
Nov 10, 2016 3:54 AM

Mar 2015
MatsukaFuwa said:
I wonder if they're going to show more about the art girl. (sorry... what was her name? did they even reveal it?) seems like it's going to be a good episode!

As I said in the first post, the MAL page just lists her name as "Senpai". In fact, the only person in the show who has a surname is Cocona. A lot about the show is so secretive, but that's a part of it's charm, I suppose!
Nov 11, 2016 11:22 AM

Jul 2014
Well we have a name for senpai! And a really heartbreaking storyline to go with her, now.

I feel like she has to be an asset to the team in some way, or they wouldn't have spent an episode on her history.

Nov 11, 2016 3:11 PM

Mar 2015
Just as I say that Senpai has no name, they give her a name.

Just as I say Cocona is the only one with a surname, they give someone else a surname.

CURSE YOU FLEP FLOPPERS!

In other news, I loved this episode. It was an awesome way of showing backstory for a character whilst still keeping in with the theme of the series. Also, the ending of the episode was so great and fantastic and it made my heart smile.
Nov 12, 2016 11:44 AM

Jul 2008
Was it that they both experienced half of the story? o_O
Nov 12, 2016 1:52 PM

Jul 2014
I think what the series was trying to say was that Iro felt like two different people when she was with Obaa-chan and when she was with her parents. So 'Switch with Iro!' was her plea to become the person she was with Obaa-chan all the time - someone who was cared for and encouraged, rather than someone meek who was constantly shunned and ignored by parents involved in a dissolving marriage and who took shelter in her art.

After she encounters Obaa-chan in the hospital, she's so distraught about losing that half of her life that she wants to go back to being ignored and neglected, because that pain is easier to bear.

At the end, when Cocona and Papika manage to get Obaa-chan to recognize them/her, the two Iros become one united front, one person who doesn't try and separate her experiences the way she did before, as it's the only way that Obaa-chan would recognize her. And of course that's the Iro they encounter when the free themselves of Pure Illusion.

Nov 12, 2016 2:17 PM

Jul 2008
@anindigomoon

Thanks, that was a great explanation.
Nov 12, 2016 2:31 PM

Jul 2014
@YummyLunches

No problem! I found myself thinking a lot about this episode because it was so sad.

Now, if anyone wants to explain all the art references to me, I'm all ears.

Nov 15, 2016 6:54 AM

May 2014
Flip Flappers episode 7 PV.

Nov 17, 2016 8:17 PM

Mar 2015
HOOOOOOO-BOY this episode was wild.

Dipping heavily into the subject of 'change' and what it means and dealing with it when it happens. The various Papika's were awesome, from the insanely adorable "imouto type" to the strange, but still adorable "long hair covering one eye type"

That scene on the bed though. In what I can only assume is a love hotel of some variety. Wearing some very adult negligees.

Damn, that was kinda steamy. Especially when they were talking about love. Papika says that she loves Cocona, Cocona says "just as friends though" and whilst Papika doesn't specify, she also doesn't agree. She wants to know why she would say that. Damn. I'll say it again. DAYUM.

ALSO FUN NOTE.

One of the first thoughts that popped into my head when we saw oujo-sama curls Papika was that she resembled Karin Kanzuki from the Street Fighter fighting game franchise. THEN WHAT DO WE SEE HER DOING? Playing god damn Street Fighter Alpha 3 AS A CHARACTER WHO BEARS A STRIKING RESEMBLANCE TO KARIN KANZUKI, plus she's unmistakably playing against Charlie Nash (that vest is a dead give away)

I love the level of detail in this show.
Nov 18, 2016 8:12 PM

May 2014
With this we reach nirvana.

Nov 18, 2016 8:22 PM

May 2014
About the episode

The nail clippers in the drawer made me audibly laugh. This is my favourite kind of symbolic introspection because it's even somewhat obvious to a brain dead mouthbreather like me.

Unlike YuriKuma, which I needed someone to tell me what it was about =3=
Nov 19, 2016 1:20 AM

Mar 2015
WrongPriest said:
About the episode

The nail clippers in the drawer made me audibly laugh. This is my favourite kind of symbolic introspection because it's even somewhat obvious to a brain dead mouthbreather like me.

Unlike YuriKuma, which I needed someone to tell me what it was about =3=

I wasn't even thinking about the nail clippers, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense as to why they'd be there. Wow. That actually makes it ten times more gay.
Nov 19, 2016 1:42 AM

May 2014
Grey_106 said:

I wasn't even thinking about the nail clippers, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense as to why they'd be there. Wow. That actually makes it ten times more gay.

Ikr I was almost off my seat in laughter. It just not even subtle.

Local girl comes out of the closet: The Animation
Nov 19, 2016 2:25 AM

Mar 2015
MatsukaFuwa said:
please help, apparently I'm worse than a... what was it? brain dead mouthbreather? lmao, because I didn't even realize the nail clippers had a meaning! probably because I'm new to the yuri scene. help me, guys! I wanna know~

It's not really something about yuri per say, but more about lesbian culture in general. Long nails are often discouraged because the fingers are more often used in... delicate places, so cuticle hygiene is a number one priority when engaging in intimate play.
Nov 19, 2016 2:45 AM

May 2014
Grey_106 said:
MatsukaFuwa said:
please help, apparently I'm worse than a... what was it? brain dead mouthbreather? lmao, because I didn't even realize the nail clippers had a meaning! probably because I'm new to the yuri scene. help me, guys! I wanna know~

It's not really something about yuri per say, but more about lesbian culture in general. Long nails are often discouraged because the fingers are more often used in... delicate places, so cuticle hygiene is a number one priority when engaging in intimate play.

Also

Gifting your significant other nail clippers or getting a manicure before a date has very specific implications, because being well-manicured is preferable in order to make sexual experience more pleasant, so doing things like that can be seen a clear implication of wanting sex.
Nov 19, 2016 2:56 AM

May 2014
I don't know xd

I only know what dirty manga teaches me >.<
Nov 19, 2016 5:14 PM

May 2014
https://imgur.com/a/NvGqV#fExoIBU

^Yeah we Yayaka next week.
Nov 22, 2016 4:19 AM

May 2014
Flip flappers Ep8 PV.
Nov 22, 2016 4:55 PM

May 2014
Translated Interview from the chick who does the series composition for Flipflap

Actually me.
WrongPriestNov 22, 2016 4:59 PM
Nov 24, 2016 4:06 PM

May 2014
I know a lot of users I've talked to in this club don't like Mecha but I was besides myself with happy tears when the obviously combinable vehicles combined into a giant robot with their own flip flappers theme song. The city and robot names were Evangelion and the rest was 80s Mecha.

Also I'm sorry everyone but Yayaka>Papika, even her beat down music in the truck was 👌. Looking forward to another Yayaka episode next week.

It's a shame because the adorable twins are probably going to end up being the main henchman for the big bad when Yayaka's inevitable heel face turn happens.

"Fuck, I'm gay"
WrongPriestNov 24, 2016 4:15 PM
Nov 25, 2016 2:39 AM

Sep 2015
Due to my horrendous Internet, I was unable to watch episode 7 until tonight, so I watched episodes 7 and 8 back-to-back. And DAMN, this anime just keeps pulling me in deeper! It's so... everything! It's wildly unconventional, but every little thing just oozes quality, I love it! Episode 7 was particularly thought-provoking (I learned some interesting information about nail clippers), and I feel like all the pieces of the puzzle fit together a little better after reflecting on it. Also, incoming angst when Cocona learns about Papika's previous, failed partner—can't wait 'til next week!
Nov 25, 2016 6:01 PM

Mar 2015
As much as I loved the start, as Wrong pointed out, especially the sparkly hand holdy run to the pool moment, I just couldn't fully enjoy the meat of the episode.

I mean, this stuff was fun

but I am so apathetic to everything giant robots that I just couldn't muster the energy needed. It was still good and Flip Flappers did good in making me actually sit through it which deserves an award of some kind. So yay Flip Flappers.

Also, Yayaka is an adorable tsundere.
Nov 28, 2016 10:55 PM

Sep 2015
@Grey_106

Hmm. I wouldn't say that I'm into mecha, but I have some experience with the genre: I've watched Evangelion (I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about it, but I was never able to get very invested in it), Gurren Lagann (I enjoyed it, for the most part), and Eureka Seven (I love it—it was my first anime, and it will probably always be my favorite. Even though it's het romance—which I have since become averse to—the nostalgia is just too intense). Of these, I would say that Gurren Lagann is really the only true mecha anime, as neither Evangelion nor Eureka Seven focus on the giant robots very much. So basically, I'm not really for or against mecha. That being said, I agree that episode 8 was less captivating than the previous episodes. I think it's because it was more Yayaka-centric. I wish I felt otherwise, but I can't help but dislike Yayaka, because she's a love-rival for Papika. I know it's stupid, and it ruins well-written characters, but when I perceive a character as a love-rival for my favored ship, I tend to develop an intense dislike for that character. Even if I had liked the character very well before, my emotions might completely reverse, and I often end up feeling conflicted and frustrated that I can no longer enjoy a character who I'd once found compelling.
Nov 29, 2016 5:20 AM

May 2014
Episode 9 PV

ShinyKing said:
I can't help but dislike Yayaka, because she's a love-rival for Papika.

we popping the BIGGEST bottles when YayakaxCocona happens tomorrow.
WrongPriestNov 29, 2016 5:24 AM
Dec 1, 2016 7:52 AM

May 2014
Sigh, why does the objectively superior childhood friend never win.

We had Yayaka's pure illusion this time, and she's evidently very jealous of Papika.
Something going on with the town in the real world, all the kids were getting tested on .~.

Yayaka and Cocona otp, Papika doesn't know what she wants.

MatsukaFuwa said:
flip flappers is so great, I wanna know all the details that my gay little brain can't comprehend by itself.

Although there is a lot of subtext and underlying themes to be honest it's just refreshingly different. If you haven't been keeping up with monthly anime it's been the same trashy slog for quite a long time, Flip flappers is refreshingly different and lot of care has been put into the production and it really shows with such an eyecatching styles.

Plus it's pretty gay, hopefully it goes somewhere with that.
Dec 1, 2016 10:51 PM

Jul 2016
Even while the twins tried to trick her, Coco knew who she needed in her heart.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Happy Sugar Life discussion

Lilac_warrior - Mar 22, 2018

12 by LalaYuriLove »»
Apr 19, 2023 2:41 AM

» Best yuri couple of all time???

Lilac_warrior - Mar 24, 2018

22 by TanyaTheEvill »»
Feb 10, 2022 9:07 AM

» Deleting my account.

removed-user - Nov 14, 2021

1 by Sabishii-Luisana »»
Nov 14, 2021 3:47 PM

Sticky: » Introduce Yourself ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SuiNoByakko - Jul 17, 2014

523 by kenchin01 »»
Sep 14, 2021 1:46 AM

» Yuru Yuri ~ Holiday

EmceePinks - Oct 30, 2018

0 by EmceePinks »»
Oct 30, 2018 3:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.