Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 13, 2009 1:37 AM

Mar 2008
What's the likelihood of this ever being English Dubbed?

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 13, 2009 6:47 AM

Apr 2007
A better question is, why would you want it dubbed?

4kids makes the most terrible dubs ever. And no, they did not ruin just GX and 5D's, they ruined DM too, drop the nostalgia glasses. Most likely Tnkp will sub this, so there is no need for a abysmal dub.
Sep 13, 2009 11:13 AM

Jul 2008
I agree with DonPatch on this one.
Even so, I doubt they would dub it. If they did, I would still go out and buy it. D`;
I just can't keep my hands off of Yu-Gi-Oh! products.
[ ] Me and Yuusei; we's like peas and carrots~ [ ]
Sep 15, 2009 2:27 AM

Oct 2007
DonPatch said:

4kids makes the most terrible dubs ever. And no, they did not ruin just GX and 5D's, they ruined DM too, drop the nostalgia glasses. Most likely Tnkp will sub this, so there is no need for a abysmal dub.
He's not the type that can keep up with subtitles. It's all explained in his profile.
Sep 15, 2009 12:46 PM

Nov 2007
As long Dan Green is still Yami. I won't care how terrible or awesome the dubs will be
Sep 16, 2009 3:54 PM

Mar 2008
I know that 4Kids would most likely be the one dubbing it if it were to ever be dubbed, but I do't care.

I love 4Kids's English Dubs of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX, and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's anyways.

Sep 18, 2009 9:21 PM

Apr 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
I know that 4Kids would most likely be the one dubbing it if it were to ever be dubbed, but I do't care.

I love 4Kids's English Dubs of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX, and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's anyways.

In that case, enjoy your butchered, censored, ruined, horribly voiced, terribly excecuted, and just overall pathetic version of an otherwise awesome series ('least for YGO DM, GX and 5D's leans more towards mediocre). Now excuse me while I laugh at dubbed Bakura. May Matsumoto Rica forgive such blashpemy.
Sep 18, 2009 9:26 PM

Mar 2008
DonPatch said:
Baby_Naruto said:

In that case, enjoy your butchered, censored, ruined, horribly voiced, terribly excecuted, and just overall pathetic version of an otherwise awesome series ('least for YGO DM, GX and 5D's leans more towards mediocre). Now excuse me while I laugh at dubbed Bakura. May Matsumoto Rica forgive such blashpemy.

I like the voices, thats the only reason why I watch their dub, besides it being the only dub and that I only watch dubs lol.

Sep 18, 2009 9:27 PM
Aug 2007
Sorry, Baby_Naruto, but topics like these bring the anti-dub brats out to play. :|

Anyhow, it would be interesting to see if this even gets licensed, especially since it'll only be shown as special events.
Sep 18, 2009 9:28 PM

Mar 2008
the_seventh_l said:
Sorry, Baby_Naruto, but topics like these bring the anti-dub brats out to play. :|

Anyhow, it would be interesting to see if this even gets licensed, especially since it'll only be shown as special events.

Well hopefully 4kids will be able to work their magic lol.

And I understand that these sort of topics attracts those people,but I dont care lol.

Sep 19, 2009 12:29 PM

Jul 2007
After watchin the trailer, i really don't see this movie going over well. The mix seems wrong. LoL
Sep 19, 2009 1:11 PM

Apr 2007
the_seventh_l said:

Ah, ain't that cliche. The classic "I am making myself seem more mature than you with words that deem you as a kid such as "brat" and "play" to defend my case". Y'know what, I'm incredibly bored right now so ima write up a block of text to justify why I'm so negative on this issue, and YGO dubs in general.

For starters, there's a difference between silly dub haters and people that simply enjoy quality presentations (and quality does not include anything affiliated with 4kids). I have seen several series dubbed and enjoyed many of them. Off the top of my head my favorite dubs would be Cowboy Bebop, The Big O, and GTO. I enjoyed the dubbed version of these series a lot more than their original Japanese counterparts, largely due to Steven Blum voicing the main characters in all series. God he's fucking great.

But these series are rare cases of truely great dubs. There's a reason 90% of anime fans prefer their anime Japanese rather than American dubbed. America has a far different look on cartoons than Japan does. Most americans affiliates "cartoons" with "silly kids stuff" (except for certain series, such as Family Guy or South Park). I'm not saying cartoons are considered "mature" or "for adults" in Japan, but Japan certainly does not have the "CARTOONS = KIDS" thing America has going. Due to this, Japan does not generally fuck up series too much to make them "kid friendly", such as an American company like, oh I don't know, 4kids would do.

I'm all about respecting opinions, Baby_Naruto, but quite frankely, your opinion sucks and is more than likely based on nostalgia, ignorance, and bias. The 4kids dub of YGO DM has generally bad voices. Don't tell me giving Jounouchi a brooklyn accent, dark Bakura the voice of a 40 year old, or Marik Ishtar a cranky robot voice was a good move, that's bulllshit. They censor everything to shit. "Guns? We certainly can't have that, it will make kids shoot each other and send soccer moms into a rage!". In addition, they add a lot of shit that was never in the original. The whole "hearts of the cards" stuff was blown into ridiculously annoying propositions in the dub, and "friendship" was not thrown out of nowhere every 5 minutesl, although still mentioned occasionaly. Oh, and 4kids wouldn't even bother with YGO if they couldn't sell countless stupid plush dolls and cards off the series. President of 4kids said it himself, "We don't want to invest in anything we can't merchandise".

So basically, yeah, your opinion sucks, dubbed YGO sucks, and I wrote all this because I was bored.

Sue me.
Sep 19, 2009 4:49 PM

Mar 2008
DonPatch said:
I'm all about respecting opinions, Baby_Naruto, but quite frankely, your opinion sucks and is more than likely based on nostalgia, ignorance, and bias. The 4kids dub of YGO DM has generally bad voices. Don't tell me giving Jounouchi a brooklyn accent, dark Bakura the voice of a 40 year old, or Marik Ishtar a cranky robot voice was a good move, that's bulllshit. They censor everything to shit. "Guns? We certainly can't have that, it will make kids shoot each other and send soccer moms into a rage!". In addition, they add a lot of shit that was never in the original. The whole "hearts of the cards" stuff was blown into ridiculously annoying propositions in the dub, and "friendship" was not thrown out of nowhere every 5 minutesl, although still mentioned occasionaly. Oh, and 4kids wouldn't even bother with YGO if they couldn't sell countless stupid plush dolls and cards off the series. President of 4kids said it himself, "We don't want to invest in anything we can't merchandise".

So basically, yeah, your opinion sucks, dubbed YGO sucks, and I wrote all this because I was bored.

Sue me.

To each their own I guess. I respect your opinion, but I'll never think like you.

Sep 26, 2009 10:56 AM

Aug 2007
@DonPatch: Wow, anime isn't just about letting the people who have access to subs enjoy it. People who don't download should be able to enjoy dubs too. It's not all about what YOU want. Your rant about English companies dumbing anime down only really applies to YGO here; and other money-making shows like it. Face it, YGO is a show that brings in the dough so it's best to just get over the dub being so bad. Also, there are PLENTY of great dubs out there that have kept the original atmosphere of the anime in tact, much more recent than Cowboy Bebop. Frankly, you just look like a sub snob. But you basically destroyed any point you had by saying to Baby_Naruto "your opinion sucks". lmao, what a joke.
Sep 26, 2009 11:52 AM

Sep 2009
Not that high, Matthew Charles (Judai/Jadens VA) quit 4kids. Which also another reason why they won't dub GX season 4.
Sep 26, 2009 10:49 PM

Dec 2007
DonPatch said:
Baby_Naruto said:

Fail. Yusei > Yugi, Yami, and Judai. (No one cares about Bakura. Villains suck anyway.)

Also: Understand that certain fanboy-ish projects like this will likely never be dubbed unless some sort of profit can be found in it. And YGO doesn't bring in money like it used to, if I had to guess.

Also, no matter how many times you say otherwise, I can't read "hopefully 4Kids can work their magic" without seeing a /s at the end of it.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Sep 27, 2009 11:25 AM

May 2008
I'mma do my best to try and sound unbiased here.

Personally, I'd rather not this get dubbed, mostly because of 4Kids' style of dubbing nowadays. DM wasn't as bad as GX and 5D's in my personal opinion - every episode that came into their hands around the time that Capsule Monsters came to existence was filled with nothing more than jokes. And I'm sure the catchphrase thing will come up eventually, so I'll just say that DM's wasn't as bad as GX and 5Ds'. But if it gets dubbed, it gets dubbed and I'll see just how they do it. And if they do dub it, don't give Paradox an accent and / or unfitting voice ;^;;;;.

Though I'm not so sure it'll happen. War of the Dragons - alternatively, the 1999 film - wasn't dubbed, despite focusing on the card game. Evolving Duel hasn't been dubbed, whether it will be or not, I don't know. The only reason Pyramid of Light exists outside of Japan is because 4Kids made it, otherwise they seem to prefer sticking with the main series itself. If they are after money, they may try the same promos as they did with Pyramid of Light, Evolving Duel was simply promoting Stardust and Red Demons' Buster Modes.

Maybe they'll do it, maybe it won't. Either way, I would watch it just to see how they handle Yugi / Yami, Judai and Yusei meeting [and pray they wouldn't crack jokes at each other constantly]. But 4Kids' slght easing up on the massacre-front of 5D's may shine a ray of hope on this film if they do dub it.
Sep 28, 2009 11:12 PM

Mar 2008
bwahahachick said:
@DonPatch: Wow, anime isn't just about letting the people who have access to subs enjoy it. People who don't download should be able to enjoy dubs too. It's not all about what YOU want. Your rant about English companies dumbing anime down only really applies to YGO here; and other money-making shows like it. Face it, YGO is a show that brings in the dough so it's best to just get over the dub being so bad. Also, there are PLENTY of great dubs out there that have kept the original atmosphere of the anime in tact, much more recent than Cowboy Bebop. Frankly, you just look like a sub snob. But you basically destroyed any point you had by saying to Baby_Naruto "your opinion sucks". lmao, what a joke.

I download english dubs and dual audios all of the time, that's how I watch most of my anime dubbed.

I rarely ever watch the dub via the retail dvds.

Oct 4, 2009 7:49 AM

Apr 2007
bwahahachick said:

And you basically destroy any point you had by being an elitist snob. Cheap insults like "lmao what a joke" only gets you so far. I'm all for people enjoying dubs and whatnot, I'm just explaining why the YGO dub is of abysmal quality. Good recent dubs exists, but they're only so few compared to the quality of the original version.

SageShinigami said:
Fail. Yusei > Yugi, Yami, and Judai. (No one cares about Bakura. Villains suck anyway.)

Yusei was cool the first 10 episodes. I really liked him, but his character has been ruined by cliches. By now he's just a diseaster of wasted potential. There's a limit to how many times you can show "FRIENDSHIP AND BONDS" down the viewers throats. Yami Yugi came close to that limit, Yusei destroys it and then some.

And I'm not even gonna justify "Villains sucks. Nobody cares about Bakura". That's just fucking ignorant. Bakura and Yami Marik completely destroys any cliche villain in GX and 5D's.
Oct 22, 2009 5:13 PM

Apr 2008
I HOPE 4KIDS DUBS IT OH GOD
Oct 23, 2009 12:20 AM

Mar 2008
Marxist said:
Not that high, Matthew Charles (Judai/Jadens VA) quit 4kids. Which also another reason why they won't dub GX season 4.

He left? Damn that sucks :(!

Nov 13, 2009 8:39 PM

Dec 2007
DonPatch said:

Enough saiid.
Dec 1, 2009 6:42 PM

Mar 2009
It's a show about a children's card game!

Dubbed or not, don't expect some kind of masterpiece out of it.
Dec 11, 2009 2:46 AM

Mar 2008
I think it's a masterpiece, and thats all that matters to me lol.

Dec 12, 2009 2:50 PM
Jul 2008
No. A thousand and one times, then another two or three for the heck of it more.... no.
Dec 23, 2009 12:33 AM
Oct 2009
as everyone has said so far... most likely 4kids dub which the voices are in my opinion compared to funimation dub, who most likely make the dub worst, are much better at picking better voice actors...even though they anime much worse
Dec 24, 2009 2:16 AM
Jul 2008
The only bad voice-actor 4kids have is Bella Hudson and she probably won't get a role in the movie, I really can't see a place for Aki in it.
Jan 15, 2010 8:49 AM
Jan 2009
WhiteLens said:
It's a show about a children's card game!

Dubbed or not, don't expect some kind of masterpiece out of it.

5D's and GX are 30-minute ads and well.. YGO DM kinda is, too but the manga.. It started off as a manga based on many different games that were parodies of others (Yugioh TCG that is called Duel Monsters in the manga and WAS called Magic and Wizards in the earlier volumes is based on.. like you can already gues.. Magic the gathering!) but there were so much people sending mail containing "That card game is very cool! Please continue that card game!" even tho Kazuki Takahashi wanted for the card game to appear in only 1-2 chapters..
He started making the card game-based manga then and when the manga was running in shonen jump they made the first cards: the Bandai ones. A while after the first cards they made the Konami OCG we all know and love, around that time they started making the anime, too. (The first anime "season zero" aka the toei series was made before.. it sucks btw, compared to the manga, DM sucks compared to the manga too, tho)
GX and 5D's were made because of the sucess of DM, the card game and everything related to it :P
And the dub sucks, it isn't that bad for DM (It's still a pile of shit but not that big pile of shit) but for Gx and 5D's it's so f'ing bad.
And btw. DM still makes me nostalgic but not when I watch the dub, watching the dub isn't nostalgic but watching the original version is nostalgic even tho I watched the dub as a kid.. It's hard to explain but since I found out how shitty the dub is then it doesn't give me a nostalgia dose anymore. (While DM does, just not the version I watched as a kid)
Yugi is the best main character btw. He has emotions unlike Yusei and has a brain unlike Judai. I like Yusei and Judai, too but Yugi is the best, and DM was the best series and the first manga was the best too.
The main point of this post was to prove that YGO isn't just "another game anime" but I ended up explaining other stuff, too.
Apr 25, 2010 4:01 PM

Jan 2010
Are you joking? Tell me this guy is joking? If Funi were to dub it, then yeah i'd probably be all right with it but no i don't see that happening. They'll probably give this Paradox a canadian accent or something. They may even cut half of the story out for all we know.
Apr 25, 2010 5:08 PM

Mar 2008
4kids will be dubbing it, check Anime News Network if you don't believe me.

Apr 25, 2010 8:09 PM

Oct 2009
4 kids is dubbing it - something about June 2010 according to Wikipedia, so okay we're getting a dubbed version in about a month's time. Kind of tempting than to wait for the DVD release in October (9 months after Jan 23 release) but you can be certain that if they can completely ruin 5D's the way they did, their dub for this movie is going to be on par.

But to carry on the discussion of dubs, I watched DM for the first time as a kid with English dubs and they worked alright for me. Yugi had a pip squeak voice to match his size, Atem and Kaiba both had their manly voices, which was fair. I quite liked DM in English. GX wasn't too bad either, Jayden/Judai's line "get your game on" was quite addicting at the time. 5D's just completely lost it then, everything got lost in the translations nearly. I mean for starters they even had to create extra footage in the English dub to explain what cards did, whereas in the Jap dub, the characters could easily describe the effects in a line of dialogue; how hard was it to just dub those bits?

But yeah all American dubs needed to get rid of any "mature" content. For example, the cards "Black Magician/Black Magician Girl" were changed to what everyone now calls "Dark Magician/Girl" I wonder if that was necessary? Likewise, using Beyblades, the classic line "Let it rip" was originally "Go! Shoot!" But you have to admit it did make things catchy as a result.
Apr 25, 2010 9:29 PM

Aug 2009
The first series yugioh for me will always be a dub that I can stand because it was one of my first animes and one I watched in English (since this was before I knew about it coming from Japan) however 5D's being dubbed was just NO the dub is a failure in my opinion. The only way I would be happy for this to be dubbed would for it to be uncut and to have an option for Japanese audio sure Yugis voice will sound weird but I'd rather hear Yugi's japanese voice then Yusei's english voice
May 2, 2010 10:06 AM
Apr 2010
4kIDS are gods!
their dubs are 10/10
May 3, 2010 2:45 AM

Mar 2008
Osianilist said:
4kIDS are gods!
their dubs are 10/10

Except for their dub of one piece, that was terrible.

May 8, 2010 1:48 AM
Jan 2009
Osianilist said:
4kIDS are gods!
their dubs are 10/10

I hope you're joking.
May 8, 2010 2:27 AM

Mar 2008
RyuRobin said:
Osianilist said:
4kIDS are gods!
their dubs are 10/10

I hope you're joking.

I don't think he is, just look at his anime list and profile, he clearly prefers dubs over subs.

Jul 7, 2010 10:05 AM
Jun 2010
I don't care who gets it. I just hope that it comes out in America on DVD, or else I'll have to figure out who has it in free region or Region 2 NTSC to be able to get it online.
Jul 10, 2010 1:43 AM

Oct 2007
I thought the yugioh dub was ok, although I did get used to the dub before the japanese version.

I can't believe Matthew Charles isn't doing Judai's voice anymore :( He was quite good at his role.

I hope it gets released in english so I can buy it :) I hope I can watch it in japanese though I like Atemu's voice in jap more than english <3
Aug 23, 2010 11:52 AM

Jun 2009
A 4kids dub, eh? Well, that does sound quite sucky (Hah! It's a pun!). I won't be buying it, but to each their own, I suppose. If you like 4kids, well, erm... Good for you, I suppose. You're sure that you aren't trolling, right?

Though, admittedly, I'd probably buy it if it had come out 3 years ago. I found the GX dub funny, mostly because it was so horrible, I found it hilarious (I was moderately upset when my favourite villain got voiced by a transwoman, but she was better then most of the cast). DM was worse, in my humble opinion, mostly because of the horrendous treatment they gave the ending and Battle City in particular. However, ever since the abridged series came out, I can't even mention Yu-Gi-Oh, GX or 5D's with hearing twenty tired quotes. I'd be afraid of buying it and sharing it with my friends for two, long hours of unfunny jokes.

The best option here is, if you don't like it, don't buy it. 4kids will stop doing this series if sales drop, and it's not like it's worth $20 just to make your ears bleed for 2 hours.
Aug 27, 2010 5:25 PM

Mar 2008
4kids has the license for the movie and will be DUBBING it, if you don't believe me to go ANN and check their news articles.

Aug 27, 2010 5:29 PM
Jun 2010
When though? That's what I want to know.
Aug 28, 2010 1:58 AM

Mar 2008
I dunno.

Sep 15, 2010 4:44 PM

Dec 2008
I personally enjoyed the Yu-gi-oh Dub over the subs...I guess miracles DO happen o_O
Sep 16, 2010 1:00 PM

Aug 2009
Dub is very good, I know many series with great dubs because they have a good dubbing company. But I have lots of questions for 4kids as a dubber...

If only dubbing companies can just stick with how the series goes and not blow up the stories and the scenes... *sigh* Why can't they just dub it only for the purpose of translations? Why do they always have to remove the blood, guns, etc.? Why did 4kids remove important episodes in One Piece rather than the fillers just because those episodes had low ratings in Japan (leaving lots of plot-holes for One Piece dub)? Why do they have to replace cigarettes with lollipops? Why do they have to make badass villains talk like childish American bullies? Why do they have to change the names of the characters (especially those that already have names in english like Godwin-Goodwin)? Why do they have to Americanize a Japanese series' culture? Why do they have to change the skin color of black characters? Really, why can't they just stay away from series that have content not suitable for children rather than force-modify(ruin) them?

Honestly, what 4kids is doing to the shows is so immature. There are lots of animes out there that do not contradict to their 'for kids' way of thinking. There are lots of highly-rated and popular animes out there that primarily targets kids. Why not just take those rather than typical-shounen animes that target teens?

And for anti-subs here: If it's only about the translation, dub is great. But ruining the reputation of a series we respect by force-modifying it is like a big insult against us fans. You do understand that, right?

On another note, aside from the show-ruining 4kids dubs, the reasons of anti-dubbers for watching subs is just simple. Animes usually applies Japanese culture. Hence, it is hardly possible to translate japanese terms (eg. tsundere), puns, and jokes, and imitate how the characters are supposed to talk. Well, I do wish they realize that they should just do what subbers do - which is to just keep the words which they cannot translate rather than thinking up of something else to replace them.
Sep 18, 2010 1:47 AM

Mar 2008
4kids will be showing it dubbed in movie theaters April 2011 :D.

Check ANN for the source ^^.

Sep 20, 2010 8:27 PM
Jun 2010
"select markets" 3D is what Ann says. Select markets is kind of unfair. Maybe it'll hit all the theaters, without it being in 3D. *crosses fingers*

That's awesome though! Too bad that I'll have to wait until the DVD release hits online stores! I would do the tv release, but it'll probably play at a time when I can't watch it. And I can't record(so don't suggest that).
animedarkSep 20, 2010 8:45 PM
Sep 23, 2010 4:56 AM
Dec 2009
Shirou_Emiya said:

THEATRES?

DOES 4KIDS WANT TO LOSE MONEY?
Sep 28, 2010 12:57 PM

Mar 2008
Pixy-Stix said:
Shirou_Emiya said:

THEATRES?

Don't worry, they will also be airing it on TV and releasing it to DVD later in 2011.

Oct 3, 2010 7:15 AM
Dec 2009
Shirou_Emiya said:
Pixy-Stix said:
Shirou_Emiya said:

THEATRES?

Don't worry, they will also be airing it on TV and releasing it to DVD later in 2011.

4kids' money hating Confirmed.
Oct 4, 2010 8:09 AM
Jun 2010
Hopefully it'll be on regular DVD when released and not just blue-ray.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie: Fusion Ultra! Bond Over Time and Space Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jun 18, 2011

52 by vv1 »»
Feb 10, 1:26 AM

» I noticed something unlogical and funny while rewatching too

SinDrake - Nov 8, 2023

0 by SinDrake »»
Nov 8, 2023 4:01 AM

» I just rewatched this movie and noticed something

Rinkitori31 - Feb 12, 2023

5 by SinDrake »»
Nov 8, 2023 3:38 AM

» Abridged by Little Kuriboh

Paul - Nov 7, 2011

6 by fudgeyells27 »»
Jul 1, 2021 1:30 PM

» release date?

firefistace01 - Mar 17, 2010

11 by DrNick »»
Jun 3, 2011 2:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.