Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 13, 2023 11:32 AM
Dec 2016
Yes me too, at least they could have shown how's the kid life during highschool and introduce new characters
And all this managa readers saying "hey there will be another interesting character in oshi no ko" how am i supposed know that based on episode 1 that i watched
Yeah
Or maybe just name it episode 0 or something
Apr 13, 2023 1:26 PM

May 2015
She’s not the only interesting character though. Don’t know how you can even say that when this is a prologue and some of the main characters haven’t even been introduced yet. Also, Aqua and Ruby get a substantial amount of development as well.

Apr 13, 2023 10:45 PM
Oct 2015
I am extremely disapointed because they completely cut out the FLASHFORWARD PARTS.
they were supposed to flash into the future with ADULT RUBY AND ADULT AQUA commenting on making a film about the truth about their mother.

and there we meet other characters grown up as well, it presents a mystery to the view on who those people are in the past as a kid and when will ruby or aqua meet them etc.

like that whiny girl etc who had a flash forward with her as an adult with a completely different personality forshadowing her development 
Apr 13, 2023 11:07 PM
Jan 2019
Neostorm-X said:
I am extremely disapointed because they completely cut out the FLASHFORWARD PARTS.
they were supposed to flash into the future with ADULT RUBY AND ADULT AQUA commenting on making a film about the truth about their mother.

and there we meet other characters grown up as well, it presents a mystery to the view on who those people are in the past as a kid and when will ruby or aqua meet them etc.

like that whiny girl etc who had a flash forward with her as an adult with a completely different personality forshadowing her development 
I'm confused. It sounds like those flash forwards would spoil her death, or are they more vague and don't really give that away? Or did that happen after the death but before they grew up?  Anyway, with an anime we are going to get to meet new people and cover new ground at a much faster rate than the Manga (about 3 chapters covered per week instead of 1) so there is less need to tease future events to get people more invested. 

I largely agree with the OP, except Ai being the only interesting character. I loved the first EP and would give it a 10 for a standalone movie, but I am worried that I won't like the rest of the series anywhere near as much. As long as Aqua isn't too edgy and it maintains a somewhat lighter tone generally, instead of just being dark all the time, I should be happy. 
Apr 13, 2023 11:19 PM
Oct 2015
belial said:
Maybe I shouldn't have picked this blind, because I just went into it thinking the story would be completely different.
The interesting part of the whole story for me was Hoshino Ai (Rieri <3), "changing it" to a tensei as a murder mystery is just meh

I will probably continue to watch anyway and probably enjoy it, but right now, I'm just so disappointed they killed the only interesting character at the end of Ep1
think of it like Terresa of the faint smile from claymore,
the inspiration of the protagonist becoming who they are and the drive for their ambition etc also the protagonist will need to uncover mysteries about them while they were still alive etc. and they will constantly appear in flash backs later on, so they will still be a "main character" who gets screen time.
Apr 13, 2023 11:23 PM
Feb 2023
ryzxgum said:
yeah, i was mostly looking forward to this for hoshino ai as well, so i'm bummed to see it happen the way it did. worst part is it didn't even make me that sad, enough to cry.
but let's see how this goes. should clarify that i don't hate it by any means.

well,Grave of the fireflies made me immune to emotional moments(I bawled during the whole movie).Even I liked the first ep but her death was kinda sudden and expected though the monologues were kinda interesting.

I'm excited for the next 10 episodes.
Apr 13, 2023 11:31 PM
Jan 2022
its bad. i wrote this for letterboxd/forum usage:

"A modernized spin on the themes of Perfect Blue, but watered down and given far less care and subtlety, wrapped in an Isekai story device and the shitty comedy (the person who wrote Kaguya-sama wrote this? unbelievable fall off) that often comes along with it - making it feel less prescient and ahead of its time and more regressive, clunky, and obvious. It only smacks you over the head with themes of "idol culture bad" without exploring why, how it perpetuates, and how to fix it, through the potential of the animation medium. That being said, there is some scenes here that are incredibly well written for emotional affect and it provides the baseline for a gripping story. I am, however, left curious how it'll succeed considering the most interesting and thematically strong character seems to be out of the picture in the first episode.

The character designs and animation are gorgeous, that much is obvious. That aspect most obviously comes out in the flashy performance scenes, but there are quiet moments delivered with such strength too. The potential such things show leaves me evermore frustrated at its failures on a writing level. It's stupid and sloppy, failing to live up to the comparisons it so clearly wants; having the technical skill to be Satoshi Kon does not make you Satoshi Kon - one must also have the intelligence to carefully weave complex, layered themes into your work, and the audacity to play with the conceptual limits of the medium as delivery method for an improved and visceral understanding of those themes as seen in Perfect Blue or Paprika."

mind, im an anime only, so i could be wrong here and it could get way better. but as it stands it is the opposite of promising, sadly. it seems like youre disliking it for questionable reasons though
Apr 13, 2023 11:32 PM
Shameless
Oct 2022
Yes you are one of the few that are disappointed
Apr 13, 2023 11:40 PM

Jun 2017
While Ai is an interesting character she's essentially the synopsis should've clued you in that Ai was not the main star but the clickbait. Try to be open to other characters as they're introduced throughout the series because they also have their own narratives that will interest you I'm sure.
Apr 14, 2023 12:07 AM

Aug 2007
I can't say I'm disappointed, as I knew nothing about the story prior to watching the first episode - I knew the name "Oshi no Ko", but nothing about what it was. That said, I don't think there was much in this episode that stood out beyond the frankly fantastic animation.

At least in my eyes, the twist was way too obvious (there really wouldn't have been much of a story if they hadn't followed through with the whole bright burning star symbolism relating to Ai), the conclusion Aqua comes to and deviation to revenge plot is equally obvious, and the honestly just strange and uncomfortable behavior from both Aqua/the Doc (forget his original name) and Ruby/Sarina was extremely off-putting.

I'm certainly willing to continue watching to see if there's any particular twists that catch me off guard, but I personally hope the writing can show off more strength to accomplish that. Otherwise, as it stands for me, I'm far more interested in seeing how the show is animated - the show is visually stunning, moreso than most of the bigger titles in recent years.

Tl;dr, not disappointed, but not overly impressed. I'm a sucker for mysteries, but writing needs to be solid. From what others have said, it does have that element, so I'm intrigued enough to not be too bothered with my initial impressions.
Apr 14, 2023 1:37 AM
Dec 2020
belial said:
Maybe I shouldn't have picked this blind, because I just went into it thinking the story would be completely different.
The interesting part of the whole story for me was Hoshino Ai (Rieri <3), "changing it" to a tensei as a murder mystery is just meh

I will probably continue to watch anyway and probably enjoy it, but right now, I'm just so disappointed they killed the only interesting character at the end of Ep1
So basically, you watched without seeing summary beforehand. 
I read summary beforehand but that specific 1 mentioned Ai having a son but not twins, so that was slightly unexpected. The episode length was more surprising since I didn't notice it was scheduled to be longer than usual.
QxujevozApr 14, 2023 2:33 AM
Apr 14, 2023 2:29 AM
Dec 2020
There are several plot holes that cumulatively affected my ability to enjoy this: 
• While it's commendable that Doctor Gorou tried to protect Ai, it's extremely unwise/illogical to chase a stalker or any other stranger into the woods. 
• Gorou & Sarina remeet each other when reincarnated as Ai's twin babies, suspect each other's identities but contrivedly never mention it. 
• Aqua had so many years to warn Ai about her stalker who killed him as Gorou but NEVER did! 
• Doctor Gorou/Aqua took far too long to call ambulance for Ai which totally diminished that supposedly tear-jerking scene. 
• After 10-12 year timeskip, it seems Aqua did very little to advance any plans against stalker Ryousuke's accomplice. 
These things made me have a shouting match with the screen.  

Also, the fundamental flaw is this prudish dogmatic East Asian idol culture. Making idols essentially celibate to pander to strangers as a marketing ploy is more likely to breed delusion, eg. that nonsense in Heroines Run The Show anime.  
Gorou gets a SLIGHT pass despite being too obsessive with Ai since it was his strange way of coping with Sarina's death. 
QxujevozApr 14, 2023 5:00 PM
Apr 14, 2023 2:56 AM

Jun 2021
belial said:

Haha only interesting character huh? Wait for the Akane,Aqua and Ruby peaks.
Apr 14, 2023 9:24 AM

Jun 2014
Qxujevoz said:
There are several plot holes that cumulatively affected my ability to enjoy this: 
• While it's commendable that Doctor Gorou tried to protect Ai, it's extremely unwise/illogical to chase a stalker or any other stranger into the woods. 
• Gorou & Sarina remeet each other when reincarnated as Ai's twin babies, suspect each other's identities but contrivedly never mention it. 
• Aqua had so many years to warn Ai about her stalker who killed him as Gorou but NEVER did! 
• Doctor Gorou/Aqua took far too long to call ambulance for Ai which totally diminished that supposedly tear-jerking scene. 
• After 10-12 year timeskip, it seems Aqua did very little to advance any plans against stalker Ryousuke. 

Also, the fundamental flaw is this prudish dogmatic East Asian idol culture. Making idols essentially celibate to pander to strangers as a marketing ploy is more likely to breed delusion, eg. that nonsense in Heroines Run The Show anime.  
Gorou gets a SLIGHT pass despite being too obsessive with Ai since it was his strange way of coping with Sarina's death. 
1- Fair point but human don't always act logical. Gorou was visibly rattled that Ai's secret was revealed and went with the flow to follow the guy. Not unrealistic.
2- Why would they suspect? Gorou know Sarina died long ago, Ai has as lot of fan. Ruby admiration for Ai only reminded him of someone he once knew, he has no reason to think Sarina who died years ago reincarnated into Ruby. Does it never happen that someone remind you of a past acquaintance? Ruby has literally 0 reason to think it's Gorou, she doesn't even know he is dead and has no reason to think so.
3- Why? This premise assume that Aqua is fine mentionning his past life to Ai. They were already taking measurement, hence "recently moved to another house" just before Ai's muder.
4- Fair point. But the stalker is still there with his knife held in front of Aqua and Ai. Maybe it's safer to call an ambulance when you are not immediately in danger?
5- The stalker is dead. What plan to make about Ryousuke? Go piss on his grave? Lol 

Hope this help you a bit, I don't think those point should be considered plothole. 
Apr 14, 2023 10:35 AM

Jun 2019
Yeah, you are not completely wrong tho. Ai was the most beloved character in the first episode. Her death really hit hard and made me feel empty. However, I can't say that I was completely disappointed with this anime. Everything was really well done. 
lettuce<3
Apr 14, 2023 4:59 PM
Dec 2020
Thai777 said:
Qxujevoz said:
• After 10-12 year timeskip, it seems Aqua did very little to advance any plans against stalker Ryousuke. 

1- Fair point but human don't always act logical. Gorou was visibly rattled that Ai's secret was revealed and went with the flow to follow the guy. Not unrealistic.
2- Why would they suspect? Gorou know Sarina died long ago, Ai has as lot of fan. Ruby admiration for Ai only reminded him of someone he once knew, he has no reason to think Sarina who died years ago reincarnated into Ruby. Does it never happen that someone remind you of a past acquaintance? Ruby has literally 0 reason to think it's Gorou, she doesn't even know he is dead and has no reason to think so.
3- Why? This premise assume that Aqua is fine mentionning his past life to Ai. They were already taking measurement, hence "recently moved to another house" just before Ai's muder.
4- Fair point. But the stalker is still there with his knife held in front of Aqua and Ai. Maybe it's safer to call an ambulance when you are not immediately in danger?
5- The stalker is dead. What plan to make about Ryousuke? Go piss on his grave? Lol 

Hope this help you a bit, I don't think those point should be considered plothole. 
1 to 5. Yes, illogic is realistic but it doesn't mean creators should keep relying on the most unwise of unwisdom for conflict. 
2. After dealing with each other as twins, Ruby thought of Gorou & Aqua thought of Sarina. After experiencing magic 1sthand, it's quite contrivedly arbitrary to not @ least ask if the other knows Gorou or Sarina out of curiosity. 
3. Utterly shortsighted since the stalker is still @ large. 
4. Ruby could've called too. & even Ai mentioned her folly of not using door-chain. & even if Ai has no 1st hand experience, it should be common knowledge for celebs to be wary of stalkers ergo being extra cautious. 
5. Sorry, that should be Ryousuke's accomplice.
Apr 14, 2023 5:05 PM
Mar 2021
I had really high expectations for this first episode. People were comparing it to the first episode of aot and tpn. I am kinda dissapointed tbh. It wasn't bad tho, but also not so good that I would give it a nine. I haven't read the manga yet tho, so maybe it will get way better later.
LidiamarrylApr 14, 2023 5:09 PM
Apr 14, 2023 5:14 PM
Feb 2023
Bobba_Ross said:
Using the MAL score as a basis I would say that, yes, you are probably one of the only people who are disappointed. 

I don’t trust MAL scores because there are 3 types of scorers
1. The ones that actually fairly rate the show
2. The ones who give the show a really low score without even watching it or for some other dumb reason which Oshi no Ko is currently suffering . Just because it has a higher score than their favorite anime from a decade ago
3. The ones who give an insanely high score bc they read the manga or hype. Some haven’t even watched episode 1
Apr 14, 2023 5:53 PM
Jul 2020
belial said:

To be honest, I didn't see Ai's appeal when I read the manga for the first time, everybody almost got PTSD from her death while I didn't give it much thought, I mean she only appears during the first 10 chapters of the manga (I still liked the plot twist tho). However, when I saw the first episode of the anime I got so invested in her character, it felt like a massive upgrade from the manga. I believe she's got so much more personality in the adaptation (probably due to the superb voice acting and direction) and perhaps that's why you didn't like the plot twist. In the manga, Ai's death was the big "this is what the story's about" reveal, while in the anime it's more like she gets her own tragic movie.

This might be a minor spoiler about what to expect from the following episodes, no big reveal (Imo knowing this doesn't ruin the watching experience) but since you're going into the anime blind you might not wanna see it:
Apr 14, 2023 5:55 PM
Apr 2021
That's simply not true, the reason it had 1000 10 star reviews before it released was because of FAL(Fantasy Anime League). This means that the people who were participating had already rated it a 10, so no, 50% of ratings are not fake. Search up the rules to FAL if you're confused.
Apr 14, 2023 6:26 PM
Jul 2021
how is it disappointing? maybe you just like the boring idol shows or something?
Apr 14, 2023 6:57 PM
Jul 2014
belial said:

Honestly, that’s a valid take. We’ll have to see how the other characters develop.
Apr 14, 2023 7:04 PM
Jan 2021
well.. alot of people not expecting much..
Apr 14, 2023 7:13 PM

Apr 2020
I'm not sure about the episode being disappointing since it was a pretty well-done 1hr+ pilot. But to be fair, I think I get what you mean. To summarize my own opinion about this: This should have been officially a "Prologue" Special Episode, not a 1hr+ first episode.

I personally didn't have any expectations going in since I was only forced to rush and watch this Anime after some internet peeps started sharing and implying spoilers about this. But I did enjoy the flow of the story and was curious how they'd handle the dark side of the story while also keeping a bubbly-lovely side.
But with how it ended, I've now lost most of my curiosity seeing as it's clear now that it would be basically a Tensei/Mystery/Detective Anime. That in itself would've been fine if this was officially a prologue. But with how it was, it felt like a bit of a bait and switch. But not entirely since there already was a killed character early on with a mystery killer still lurking around so, some mystery stuff should've been expected in the first place. But then they killed off that killer and now the focus is on who might be the mastermind which is, IMO, less interesting without the "Hosino Ai" character around.

With that being said, that was a pretty good prologue that gave this Anime some uniqueness to it. Hopefully, it does end up being a Tensei/Tantei Anime of its own to the end.
Apr 14, 2023 7:20 PM

Jun 2022
It's just you, everyone else agrees this is the greatest story of all time
Apr 14, 2023 8:56 PM

Oct 2007
Skiot said:

I assumed as much from other replies, it can turn out quite good as-is without being a mystery plot. But there's more anime like that and I feel like the plot will become more of a weakness as some people here already commented about the next arcs and their less than perfect writing.

It would have been nice to have an anime about the idol industry with someone like Hoshino Ai, that's why I think the author just threw away what was unique and interesting about the initial setting. Ofc, this doesn't mean the anime can't be good overall.

Seems like people in MAL read the title and nothing else. I greatly enjoyed ep1 and currently have it as 9/10. The animation was great and the plotholes on ep1 were a bit bad but forgivable in the setting. Less than perfect writing is fine in plots that are character driven.
But I can't ignore that imo killing off Hoshino Ai was a missed opportunity to do something greater, and for that, I will continue to be disappointed on it.
Apr 15, 2023 9:45 AM

Jun 2014
Qxujevoz said:
Thai777 said:

1 to 5. Yes, illogic is realistic but it doesn't mean creators should keep relying on the most unwise of unwisdom for conflict. 
2. After dealing with each other as twins, Ruby thought of Gorou & Aqua thought of Sarina. After experiencing magic 1sthand, it's quite contrivedly arbitrary to not @ least ask if the other knows Gorou or Sarina out of curiosity. 
4. Ruby could've called too. & even Ai mentioned her folly of not using door-chain. & even if Ai has no 1st hand experience, it should be common knowledge for celebs to be wary of stalkers ergo being extra cautious. 
1- It's just a matter of opinion at this point. In my opinion you have to learn to accept some illogical action once in a while. It's fine to criticize it when it happens often but not when it's rarely used. Have to agree to disagree, the rest of the episode is not filled with those anyway. 
2- You only think so because you have a third person perspective with more information than them. Put yourself in their shoes, they have no reason to assume the other is Gorou/Sarina, their situation (reincarnation) is already quite unlikely. I'll repeat that Sarina died 4 years before so Gorou and Sarina doesn't even know Gorou died. To make it worse Ruby made it clear she doesn't want to talk about their past life in kindergarten. 
3- Again... if Ai never called the father the stalker would have never found Ai. You are using hindsight for this argument, Aqua is risking his whole life with Ai if he reveal he is reincarnated just to be slightly more careful when they already are. Like if Aqua had some hint that Ai would be in danger I can see it happening, but him just revealing himself randomly? That would be way weirder.
4- Ruby didn't know anything was happening so no call, she came late. Did it happen to make it dramatic? Yes. Does it contradict the plot? No. 
Now this is a completely different argument with Ai. I will just agree to disagree, she just had a lapse of judgement probably because she was taken by surprise. Ai is young, lived in an orphanage and is kinda sheltered(just look at every house we see in the first ep, they are fancy), if that explanation isn't enough to convince you then it is how it is.
5- First episode is already really really long, it's fine to leave a bit for after it you know. Just keep watching.

Again, I don't think those are plothole. Just your opinion on some of the events. A real plothole would be why no one question how the Twins use cellphone while being toddler and how good they are at using it. Someone also has to pay their plan for it and I see no logical person pay for 2 cellphone plan for toddler <4 years old.

I hope a gave you another perspective that help, it's just a bit disappointing that those point bothered you when in my eyes they are not a problem.
Apr 15, 2023 9:58 AM
Dec 2021
belial said:

I mean a story about Ai being a successful idol while her reincarnated kids supported her would probably be an interesting story.  I'd kind of like to see how that story goes. 
Apr 15, 2023 10:00 AM
Dec 2021
flygon727 said:
I'm pretty sure the Ko in Oshi no Ko can mean both child and girl based on context. So Oshi no Ko could be "child of my favorite idol" or "my favorite idol" .

Edit: was meant to be a reply to  but i have no idea how the reply/quote feature works on mal, sorry.
Oshi can be both the person you support or a hard-core supporter.  So 推しの子 can mean "The child who supports me" [or child who is a hard-core fan] as well, lol. 
Apr 15, 2023 10:19 AM
Dec 2021
Thai777 said:
Qxujevoz said:
1- It's just a matter of opinion at this point. In my opinion you have to learn to accept some illogical action once in a while. It's fine to criticize it when it happens often but not when it's rarely used. Have to agree to disagree, the rest of the episode is not filled with those anyway. 
2- You only think so because you have a third person perspective with more information than them. Put yourself in their shoes, they have no reason to assume the other is Gorou/Sarina, their situation (reincarnation) is already quite unlikely. I'll repeat that Sarina died 4 years before so Gorou and Sarina doesn't even know Gorou died. To make it worse Ruby made it clear she doesn't want to talk about their past life in kindergarten. 
3- Again... if Ai never called the father the stalker would have never found Ai. You are using hindsight for this argument, Aqua is risking his whole life with Ai if he reveal he is reincarnated just to be slightly more careful when they already are. Like if Aqua had some hint that Ai would be in danger I can see it happening, but him just revealing himself randomly? That would be way weirder.
4- Ruby didn't know anything was happening so no call, she came late. Did it happen to make it dramatic? Yes. Does it contradict the plot? No. 
Now this is a completely different argument with Ai. I will just agree to disagree, she just had a lapse of judgement probably because she was taken by surprise. Ai is young, lived in an orphanage and is kinda sheltered(just look at every house we see in the first ep, they are fancy), if that explanation isn't enough to convince you then it is how it is.
5- First episode is already really really long, it's fine to leave a bit for after it you know. Just keep watching.

Again, I don't think those are plothole. Just your opinion on some of the events. A real plothole would be why no one question how the Twins use cellphone while being toddler and how good they are at using it. Someone also has to pay their plan for it and I see no logical person pay for 2 cellphone plan for toddler <4 years old.

I hope a gave you another perspective that help, it's just a bit disappointing that those point bothered you when in my eyes they are not a problem.

the other thing about the doctor chasing the stalker, it's Japan where there's hardly any violent crime.  It probably didn't cross his mind he could get murdered.  
Apr 17, 2023 7:06 AM
Apr 2023
I went blind into this show and found the eyes quite off-putting to be honest but the animation and music was solid and kept me watching. Since I only briefly knew Sarina and Gorou, their deaths did not mean much to me, as they where just part of the whole reincarnation setup. Sarina being reborn 4 years after hear death together with Sensei... Okay well fine we need to get this thing rolling I understand. The weird acting of the toddlers and how they convince their foster mother? Yeah sure that's comedy I guess. It's anime so we are all fine with ridiculous plots, but I am not a big fan of this kind of reincarnation shenanigans and think it is creepy. With all the red flags being raised it was clear that bad things are going to happen and since the story will revolve around the children.... Let me say I was not surprised. AI also being really one dimensional and the dramatic monologue during her passing (maybe rather try to get your kids to safety?) was what left me wondering why people are so moved by this anime. This lack of understanding sent me off to myanimelist and I was quite surprised by the extremely positive reception.
But I sure do understand why lot's of folks are liking this. It has "cute Idols, reincarnation power fantasy, graphic violence ,nice animation, vivid colours, edgy revenge plot, lots of potential for drama".
Apr 17, 2023 8:52 AM
May 2019
I was also disapointed but that might have been my fault. I had normal expectations at first bc all the mangatubers i watched did like the first volume but wasnt going crazy about it but then i saw that the first episode got 1 rating and that people were calling it like dark and serious and an interesting look into the idol industry so my expeectations went big. i wasnt that surprised that Ai died so i was kinda waiting for the thing/moment that had people so into it? lI dunno maybe its just bc i suck watching movie lenght stuff. im glad others like it
Apr 17, 2023 9:00 AM
Mar 2021
nahh i can say that i was suuuper disappointed with it. i had high hopes because of aka akasaka's previous work, but it was just a generic and awful premise. i'm genuinely surprised as to why people like it so much. idk if my standards are high as a psychological author, but the way they make the babies pervs and such is such a weird move. also, the pedophilia and loli-mentions are god-awful.

(i was told i "lack empathy" on tiktok since i mentioned i didn't like oshi no ko all that much, but i did cry at the big scene. rie takahashi's voice acting really carried the episode for me. love her performance in re:zero as emilia as well.)
Apr 17, 2023 9:07 AM
Jul 2019
I am also disappointed it's just not very interesting . Just seems alright .
Apr 18, 2023 2:05 PM
Mar 2022
It was actually foreshadowed already by the director. Remember the scene where he said the 3 kinds of actors. Ai was the cute one, she pulls people in for ratings but shouldn't get too much screentime or else they'd be "too cute and steal the show from the main protagonists".

The scene where the director cut Ai's scene because she was too cute was the foreshadowing of her death. She's too cute for the show "Oshi No Ko" to progress.

That's what Ai was. She already did her job and now she has to make way for the "talent", main protagonists of the show. Otherwise, the twins would go nowhere cuz they wouldn't be interesting enough
XariasevvApr 18, 2023 2:10 PM
Apr 18, 2023 2:42 PM
Sep 2014
Qxujevoz said:
• After 10-12 year timeskip, it seems Aqua did very little to advance any plans against stalker Ryousuke's accomplice. 

1. Definitely not a smart move, but hardly a plot hole. It's not strange to make a poor decision in the spur of the moment, especially when you have an adrenalin rush.
2. Sarina is incredibly reluctant to reveal her past life, and Gorou has not poked that hard at the truth, probably out of respect.
3. This is true, to a degree. He didn't forget about the incident, and even researched what happened (his body was never found). I agree it would have been best to relay the information.
4. She was stabbed in the aorta. Even if an ambulance was right outside immediately after the stabbing, she almost certainly would have died. He's a doctor, and realized it was futile but at the same time couldn't believe what was happening. Despite his shock, he still did as much as he could, which was unfortunately nothing.
5. We got only a minute or so of screentime with them as teenagers. We have absolutely no idea what Aqua has done as of yet. Judgement should be reserved for the future.
Apr 18, 2023 3:33 PM
Sep 2014
touscha said:
nahh i can say that i was suuuper disappointed with it. i had high hopes because of aka akasaka's previous work, but it was just a generic and awful premise. i'm genuinely surprised as to why people like it so much. idk if my standards are high as a psychological author, but the way they make the babies pervs and such is such a weird move. also, the pedophilia and loli-mentions are god-awful.

(i was told i "lack empathy" on tiktok since i mentioned i didn't like oshi no ko all that much, but i did cry at the big scene. rie takahashi's voice acting really carried the episode for me. love her performance in re:zero as emilia as well.)

"...but the way they make the babies pervs and such is such a weird move"

Disagree. Sarina was also only 12 when she passed away. We don't know the full story of her childhood, but I suspect she may not have had a present mother. The doctor found it to be unethical to breastfeed when he has the memories of a grown man, so he avoided it once he reached a point of being aware of his memories. That's the right thing to do, but realistically many in his shoes wouldn't do the same. He also calls out Ruby, though agrees it's relatively acceptable (but still questionable) since she's female. He'd likely have seen it as far less of a problem if he knew Ruby was the previously 12 year-old Sarina. When Ai's bra was about to slip at a point, Aqua also fixed it. If anything, I felt Aqua's characterization here was calling out other series (e.g. Jobless Reincarnation). Sure, the Doctor has some flaws, which were correctly called out. But he's actually trying hard to be ethical and doing a fairly good job of following through.
Apr 18, 2023 3:46 PM
Jul 2017
Nope, I also am, I will not going to lie that I had an absurd amount of hype to this anime both due the rates and due listening to lot of people talking good things about it, but boy, how stupid I am to trust the ratings, the anime isn't bad in any means, but the character that moves everything, the character that is reason for everything, and the main driving point of this, Ai, is an absolute artificial character that can't even be believed to be real, she acts like a robot that just knows how to lie and was programmed to do so, even if the entire point of the character was her difficult in expressing love, she didn't express a single thing in this episode other than when she was dying, she might have had a little fear in telling that she loves them, but she didn't truly express it, and that's it, the only singular emotion that we see she having and expressing is love in the end, all the rest is lies, I realy can't sympathize with her regardless of how sad her death was, and due this I wanted to give this anime a 7.5/10, buy since the website only allows round numbers and the ratings are so inflated by exaggeration I rounded it down, the animation is absolutely pretty, the character design is good, but that's what is carrying this show for me, the plot would be a very interesting one if they didn't do Ai like she was a machine trying to be human, because that's exactly how she behaved, and did instead that she was a human trying to understand what she truly feels which I think was the original intention but was utimately missed in the emptiness they made out of her character.
Apr 18, 2023 4:22 PM

Oct 2017
I wouldn't say I'm disappointed because I had no expectations, but I will say I thought the first episode was just "fine".

The twist ending was very good and it creates a great hook. But the first hour and 10 minutes was rough to get through.
Apr 18, 2023 4:59 PM

Oct 2019
so... as a rule of thumb, if you as a writer are planning to make an entire arc about a certain character that ends in her death, you are probably going to make that character the most interesting in that section.

of course she was the best character of this episode, she was the main focus.

give it a little time, and if it can't make you care about the others just as much, then this is a valid complaint.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 18, 2023 11:50 PM

Feb 2018
nah, I think ep 1 is a masterpiece... I like these prologue
Apr 18, 2023 11:53 PM

Jan 2019
Yes dear mal user you are indeed the only one.
Apr 19, 2023 12:14 AM
Apr 2021
I'm also disappointed, saw the hype this was getting and the great reviews. Went in blindly though and was not impressed, halfway through I was so bored I just 2x the rest. It's got an amazingly high production value, but other than that I could not care less about any character or any part the story, which is constantly rendered kinda pointless with every "plot twist". In the end, it's just going to be a revenge murder mystery about a pair of siblings looking to avenge their once-famous dead teenage mother.

Still gotta admit I've never liked anything from the author, Kaguya was just meh for me. Sure I liked the quirky and funny things, but overall this is no better than an 8 at most. So, I uess this one's just not for me and I guess that's fine, but I just don't get why people give it 10s. As others mentioned it is common for this to happen with new over hyped anime, I'll probably drop as it goes on.

I remember in ImdB The Wheel of Time started at 9 and then gradually dropped to 6 and nowi t's finally at 7.1
Apr 19, 2023 2:41 AM
Mar 2015
Can relate, the show is pretty bad.
Apr 19, 2023 2:46 AM
Jul 2013
mans blindly watching got disappointed by the whole premises, while us the comic readers are fucking hyped because the whole premises and how it went in the future. Easily beat Kaguya Sama's tensions, but with the same meme moments. 
Apr 19, 2023 2:47 AM

Oct 2021
Me too, though I was only disappointed at the part where Ai got stabbed.

░     ❶ Profile                     ░               ❄ 𝚕𝚞𝚌𝚒𝚣𝚔𝚞𝚗 ❄
  ░     ❷ Anime List          ░
Apr 19, 2023 6:00 PM

Oct 2007
aenews said:
When Ai's bra was about to slip at a point, Aqua also fixed it. If anything, I felt Aqua's characterization here was calling out other series (e.g. Jobless Reincarnation)

There's no callout there, why would you want the boobs of your mother to be visible to other people? Rudeus from Mushoku Tensei would do the same in this situation. You are basically reading too much into the situation

Apolygon2 said:
so... as a rule of thumb, if you as a writer are planning to make an entire arc about a certain character that ends in her death, you are probably going to make that character the most interesting in that section.

of course she was the best character of this episode, she was the main focus.

give it a little time, and if it can't make you care about the others just as much, then this is a valid complaint.

Ep2 is out, plot is slow and meh, and there's no interesting characters and animation also dropped. The next eps will go into romance and more slice of life, which is fine, but it's a way worse plot than it would be with Hoshino Ai.
I can bet I can ping you at the end of the anime and still hold the exact same opinion.
Apr 19, 2023 6:15 PM
Sep 2014
I'm just disappointed people are dumb enough to boost something with 2 episodes straight to the top of MAL. I look forward to the ranking fixing themselves out again.
Apr 19, 2023 6:21 PM

Oct 2019
belial said:

Ep2 is out, plot is slow and meh, and there's no interesting characters and animation also dropped. The next eps will go into romance and more slice of life, which is fine, but it's a way worse plot than it would be with Hoshino Ai.
I can bet I can ping you at the end of the anime and still hold the exact same opinion.
maybe, idk

I'm anime only...

but give it time to build up a new plot line. looking at the favorites from manga readers AI is not even the fan favorite character.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 19, 2023 6:26 PM
Sep 2014
belial said:
aenews said:
When Ai's bra was about to slip at a point, Aqua also fixed it. If anything, I felt Aqua's characterization here was calling out other series (e.g. Jobless Reincarnation)

There's no callout there, why would you want the boobs of your mother to be visible to other people? Rudeus from Mushoku Tensei would do the same in this situation. You are basically reading too much into the situation

Reading too much into the situation? As a matter of ethics, Aqua refuses to breastfeed and draws a line. Rudeus did exactly the opposite and took full advantage of the situation, this is what I was referring too in my post. That's it. Not saying Rudeus wouldn't prevent a boob slip. That aside, Rudeus draws very few lines early in the story given his attempted SA and grooming. At least in this regard, there's no comparison between their ethical standards.

I've definitely seen other people who noticed the same thing I did. Hardly alone, there.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Jun 28, 2023

716 by TheGhostlyShadow »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MadanielFL - May 12, 2023

263 by dangkeeks »»
Yesterday, 1:54 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usopp8000 - Mar 27, 2023

2721 by EPhC4 »»
Sep 22, 4:17 PM

» Manually brute force hacking a cell phone has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen in anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

AnimeIs4Kidz - Apr 26, 2023

226 by Canyonsvely »»
Sep 16, 9:00 AM

» Why "Oshi" and not "Hoshi"?

il_biggo - Aug 19

15 by DragyG »»
Sep 15, 7:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.