Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 17, 2008 8:03 PM

Nov 2007
Orbitzz83 said:
Sometimes, I might just choose an anime I rated 6 over an anime rated 7 just because I feel it has more potential than the other as a whole series or if it's a genre I don't have too much in my list (like choosing an action anime over a shoujo anime)

That kind of makes sense, but it also doesn't. Why would you rate a genre you dislike higher than a genre you like? The genres you prefer should play in to your personal scoring. For instance, I like comedy most, so the majority of my highest scores go to comedy series.

I understand being in the mood for one genre over another; my moods change all the time and sometimes I can't watch any comedy for a week or more, instead sticking to solid action or drama or whatever, but for me, I do tend to enjoy comedy most, so I'll end up giving comedy series 8-9-10 where many other genres don't often hit 9 or 10 unless they really satisfied me.

But then, as I already said, I have very broad overall tastes, and I'm quite tolerant of many common flaws, so I don't tend to drop stuff very often. But I try to be fair in my ratings. I have 1s to 5s even if most of my list is 6+. I'd never drop any series I think is worth a 5 or more, though.
Mar 17, 2008 8:16 PM

Nov 2007
Asako said:
Why would you rate a genre you dislike higher than a genre you like? The genres you prefer should play in to your personal scoring. For instance, I like comedy most, so the majority of my highest scores go to comedy series.

Actually, that is what I was trying to say. I'd score the shoujo anime higher because that is my preference, while I'd usually score the action one lower for the same reason. Knowing about my bias, I would pick the action anime even though I scored it lower than the shoujo one just to get some diversity in my viewing and so I don't end up watching 6 shoujo animes in a season.
Mar 17, 2008 8:18 PM

May 2007
Because Trinity Blood could of been good, oh sorry having a flashback.

If it is free or on TV unless if it is really bad I will watch it to give it better ratings, you have to support anime, even if it is Eiken :(
My anime list
Mar 17, 2008 8:22 PM

Apr 2007
mitamaking said:
If it is free or on TV unless if it is really bad I will watch it to give it better ratings, you have to support anime, even if it is Eiken :(

Whoa there. I'm all for supporting anime but there are some lines even I won't cross.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Mar 17, 2008 9:02 PM

Jun 2007
There's low rated Anime on MAL?

Oh. Wait.

These people a're completionists en masse. When they start a series, they'll see it through to the end, excellent or terrible, and then review it with a cushion of credibility.

From what I've read, though, the majority of MAL members tend to drop the series they dislike, which means only the fans actually finish it off, leading to inflated scores.
Mar 17, 2008 9:34 PM

Jun 2007
Well I do that, and i basically do it for the sake of completing and also because that way i can honestly say what i think about it and not have a half assed oppinion about something i never watched.
Makes sense right?
How can some people justify their oppinion about an anime being crap if they have never really watched it?
Thats even worse ^_^

Mar 17, 2008 9:36 PM

Nov 2007
Some crap you can easily spot a mile away.

Some crap you don't realize how crap it is until it's all over.

And other crap you can tell is crap with slight exposure.

There are many varieties of crap in this world.
Mar 17, 2008 9:37 PM

Feb 2008
1.lots of time
2.have no life
3.its fun to waste time
Mar 17, 2008 9:46 PM

Apr 2007
BadSeafood said:
From what I've read, though, the majority of MAL members tend to drop the series they dislike, which means only the fans actually finish it off, leading to inflated scores.

On the flip side a lot of people who drop shows still rate them as being crappy. On that note, I wonder what the most dropped series on MAL is?

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Mar 17, 2008 10:43 PM

Mar 2008
Sometimes, I will buy a box set of an anime even though I haven't seen it. Sounds kind of stupid, I know. But I figure that if I spent money on the box set, I better damn well finish watching it. I have been lucky though. The only anime that I have bought that I don't care for are D.N.Angel and Magic Knight Rayearth. Even then, I don't actually dislike them. I generally try to give animes a chance before giving up on them though. There are alot of animes I started out not liking, but grew to love. So I always try to give them a fair chance.
Mar 17, 2008 10:43 PM

Jun 2007
tainteddonut said:
On the flip side a lot of people who drop shows still rate them as being crappy. On that note, I wonder what the most dropped series on MAL is?

An excelent question.

Mar 18, 2008 4:21 PM

Mar 2007
Hmmm, I have some low rated Manga on my list that I'm currently reading or have on hold. Why? Because I just got a few volumes to go. Most of them are from the library so I'm not really wasting my money, plus I'm working on making my Manga list bigger. If it's a long seris(like Prince of Tennis or Naruto), then I will drop it if I don't like it.

As for Anime, same thing. If it's short I'll try and finish it(it depends how many episodes I got left). I dropped Lucky Star after 7 episodes. I just wouldn't be able to stand 17 more episodes. I probably would have finished it if it was 13 episodes(even though I gave it a 1). XD
Also, I bought the Midori Days dvd box set. I hated it but I finished it, then sold it to fye. It was a waste of time and money. >_> So now I'm careful what I buy. ^_^;
Mar 18, 2008 4:31 PM

Sep 2007
tainteddonut said:

Well, the series has to have a lot of members watching for that.

Naruto- 2,820 members dropped. I'm positive it doesn't get more than that right now.
Mar 18, 2008 5:05 PM

Apr 2007
Does nobody watch a bad anime *cough* flame of recca cos its just funny to poke fun at when kinda drunk.
Mar 18, 2008 6:28 PM

Dec 2007
Wargasm said:
Does nobody watch a bad anime *cough* flame of recca cos its just funny to poke fun at when kinda drunk.

The short answer: yes.

They even had an MAT3K running at Otakon (1997-2003). Those were the days. Even let me enjoy what was without a doubt the worst anime I've ever seen (though only because I won't touch Eiken with a 50-ft pole). I saw all of two (horrendously dubbed) episodes there, and make up 1/3 of the MAL members who list it!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Did Shikanoko save comedy anime?

Catalano - Yesterday

33 by ZakuF_ »»
11 minutes ago

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings ( 1 2 )

Quadruple_Oi - Sep 20

50 by karioka- »»
16 minutes ago

» Do you find modern disclaimers to be annoying?

Dragevard - Sep 20

41 by kutuya »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Why Do People Dislike Chinese Anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ames00 - Apr 1, 2018

400 by rohan121 »»
25 minutes ago

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Today

50 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.