Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Dec 22, 2020 3:55 AM

Aug 2018
Very interesting but a little confusing episode, there definitely is a big focus to make Ymir's character more known
Jan 20, 2021 6:38 AM

Oct 2013
I fucking knewwwww

KNEEEEEEWWWWWW

the titans were created by humans one way or another. Drug? Virus? I dunno, but I knew they were a cause. There were way too many hints in the 1st season about humans becoming monsters to defeat the monsters, humanity being the cause of its own downfall (this was outright said, albeit in different contexts, several times), all that shit.

Great infodump episode, wonderful backstory.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 21, 2021 6:32 PM
Dec 2015
Pretty strong episode! Some quotes I really liked, "Give me a break.... Die, die, die!!" Eren
"Sorry for not remembering."
"It's not your fault for forgetting. It was the same for us too."
"Eren doesn't seem to remember either."

Despite having a lot of flashbacks, this episode has a lot of forward progression even if the narrative time doesn't really move that much forward. It's really nice seeing Ymir's backstory and understanding more how the titan's work. Ymir's chomp was awfully surprising, but I really should have seen it coming.

A very sexy chase scene at the end, and of course, horse simulator.

Jan 29, 2021 3:02 AM

Dec 2008
Okay, so there was a lot to unpack in this episode.

1. Ymir is too gay to function
2. Titans were former humans
3. Just because you can control your titan transformation now doesn't mean that you could always do it
4. Titans don't age
5. You also won't age if you keep staying in your titan form
6. eating (or killing, ig] humans could be the initial trigger of detransformation

We don't know how much gap is between Ymir eating Reiner's friend and her detransformation but the sequence almost suggests that it happened soon after
That could explain why titans are so bent out of shape trying to kill humans

speaking of which, I wonder how they find humans out of nowhere
Do they have a keen sense of smell? Do they just see super far so they can see scouts coming even when they're far away? It's not like there are any "leaders" nearby to tell them where to go
Mar 7, 2021 10:47 PM

Aug 2020
Ymir's past T^T She was so cute as a kid as well.
Apr 26, 2021 9:10 PM

Jan 2018
Was that a death flag for Hannes? :(
May 15, 2021 2:56 PM
May 2021
I've decided to stop watching Shingeki no Kyojin
Jul 31, 2021 10:29 PM

Jun 2020
There really is something up with Connie's parents and the very similar titan, Eren just going all out even without his hands punching Reiner

They showed Ymir's past and its cruelty and how it all went down that was peculiar how it started and ended, Well seeing that Ymir changed when she met Krista really means that she cares for her which is the thing that I liked about her sincerity

The Survey Corps caught up and they need to go quick, I didn't expect Ymir to side with Reiner and Bertolt but she does have her own hunch and taking Krista herself, Looks like things are building up to the last battle, That preview when I saw that creepy glare you should know that as well that it's Mikasa that was disturbing.
Sep 23, 2021 2:57 PM
Jul 2016
Wasn't too crazy about the first season but, man, this show picked up, and it picked up fast.

(Anime only viewer): Every flashback, especially that of Ymir's, has led to many more questions than answers. I am excited to see Reiner and Berlot's homeland. Though, I'm still confused about Ymir's affinity towards Krista but I suppose that will make more sense soon enough.
Oct 26, 2021 10:22 AM
Nov 2020
It's so impressive that Ymir rose up from a simple background character in S1 to one of the most interesting in S2. Her flashback always brings me to tears
Dec 29, 2021 1:30 AM

Jul 2021
hmm things aren't very much clear yet, especially ymir's age and stuff, eren eating a human etc.

it was both kinda funny and sad to see ren fight reiner with no hands, he's so frustrated and angry that he wants to kill reiner even without hands.

ymir really does love krsita.

we finally gonna see some action next episode.

excited.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 13, 2022 4:03 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Oh boy, that's Ymir decision. She must be so desperate to meet Historia, and Eren once again sleeping like a boss!

Alright, looks like i got something wrong with Ymir past. The same fate with Historia actually lying to themself, and how they lived their lifes. Ymir first born as a human, but later getting drugged on from an ass soldier and become an ugly human, just because of certain cult. The aberrant that Ilse found at the ova, must be one of the people from Ymir flashback here. I believe its those blonde dude. Right?

Also, judging by the timeline, 60 years ago, not 100 years, i think that syringe actually originated from Reiner people. I also believed Eren father was from there too, or at least their community, and thats why he able to got that drug. So basically the enemy still true to the people of Reiner hometown, however it is. Ymir must be trying to tell Eren about that drug and its people....

But, it can be all wrong above. My assumptions are always too wild here and there. But this is truly intriguing. Survey Corps and their first joint forces trying hard to reach them. The pursuit surely just the beginning....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 14, 2022 6:22 PM

Dec 2020
connie's village SUS and those soldiers are definitely onto something.

ymir's story man.. her waking up in that pretty aurora place made me almost tear up
May 21, 2022 10:13 AM
Apr 2022
So ymir when she was young she have been outside the walls before turning to a titan.
Dec 9, 2022 9:54 AM
Aug 2022
ymirs backstory was cool and the ending was tense asf
Dec 30, 2022 10:36 PM
Jan 2021
MY DAD SAID THIS EPISODE WAS A "i don't know, a 5"
Feb 4, 2023 2:23 AM
Jan 2023
Intrsting.........
Feb 28, 2023 5:50 PM
Apr 2021
The most profound quote I heard thus far from this show came from Ymir's flashback after waking up in the desert: "When I opened my eyes, what I saw was freedom spread out before me. If there was such a thing as fate, I can only laugh at how fickle it can be."
This scene touched my heart, reminding me when I used to climb hills to look at the stars and thank the Creator for existing. And other times I'd curse everything when life got sour. Faith is fickle.
Mar 21, 2023 12:25 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
More questions arise, met only with vague answers. Love how it just keeps you captivated.

"I'll get him back, even if it means trading my life for it!" No pls, Hannes you spoke too soon....

One small detail I really liked and appreciated is Hannes telling one of his fellow garrison members to round up the horses after they go up into the trees with their odm gear. I'm glad that was cleared up, because I would really have been left wondering "wtf happens to the horses after they leave them behind? I'd hate for them to just be wandering around after, horses get abused enough in this anime already!"

deadass I just realized that one of my managers at work looks quite a lot like Ymir's titan form

I wonder why that Marcel guy didn't titan-ify himself when grabbed by Ymir, about to get eaten. His arms were free, right? Just freely flailing about? I'm pretty sure he could've go and bite his hand real quick before getting eaten for dinner. Did Ymir just grab and eat him really fast, or was Marcel panicking? I wouldn't say he was panicking though, he was supposed to be the most competent out of all them. He was their leader if I remember correctly. 

Best part of this episode? Krista's (or Christa's, whatever) "huh?" when flying straight into Ymir's mouth.

Season one was just straight up HYPE. This is hype as well, but it's more focused on the development surrounding the mystery of the titans, and it also fleshes out side characters in the mean time as well. Lots of people were comparing the two seasons back then; I mean, how could you not? They've waited 4 years for the next instalment to this story. They were bound to compare how it used to be to how it is now. But I'm not going to compare them, they are two parts needed to complete the whole. You can compare two different ENGINES and say which one is better, but who'd compare two different PARTS of an engine to say which one is better? They're both needed to form said engine. I'll be giving this season a 9/10 as well once I'm done re-watching it. As for the decimal part of the score which I give my ratings, well, maybe a 0.1 or two lower than season 1, purely just based on my personal enjoyment. But that might change, these last couple episodes might be even more legendary than I remember. 

edit: also maybe there was some subtext I missed, but I'm surprised that Ymir actually returned to Reiner and Bertholdt after they let her go to get Christa; couldn't she have easily just betrayed them and stayed with the scouts? Did she think Christa might perhaps be safer going with Reiner and Bertholdt? 
BetaMaleUltraMar 21, 2023 12:31 AM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 21, 2023 5:34 AM
May 2022
I HATE THE ARMORED AND COLOSSAL TITANS VERY VERY VERY MUCH😒
Mar 27, 2023 1:57 PM

Sep 2019
A plot twist right at the start.
Bertholdt said more already, I like this.
That means Ymir is a special type of titan, unlike the others like Eren or Reiner.
Krista seems pretty important.
Bertholdt and Annie? ok looks like I'll have to get used to this couple, although I'd rather Annie paired with Armin or Eren. Sorry Mikasa, I want a love triangle between Jean-Mikasa-Eren-Annie, wouldn't that be great love story?
It seems that the last eps will reveal many secrets, unfortunately, I want the magic show to continue until the final season.
Again. Amazing talk scene. Now it's Ymir - Reiner.
Why do I see them using gear that reminds me of spiderman?
The metaphorical stories in AOT once again impressed me. Annie, then Levi, now Ymir. I believe it has real-life connections.
So in the old days, turning into a titan was a punishment? But who invented that punishment? I don't want to know right now.
Ymir's story is truly painful and moving, as it offers the most painful suffering: loneliness and time. Forget about Eren, the supporting characters are too amazing.
OMG too beautiful story, where's my Ymir? I need one Ymir by my side.
Looks like Connie isn't afraid of Ymir lol
Apr 28, 2023 9:26 AM

Nov 2010
Ah, that's the info I need. So it's about a "Coordinate." So far, they think Eren is the one they're looking for.
I thought the Bertolt x Annie ship was just a joke from the parody versions of AoT. lol
Interesting reveal. So, that's how they create Titans. As a form of punishment. Or is it only done by that particular city? So, they become feral first, and, given enough time, they eventually turn back into humans with awesome Titan abilities? I guess that solves Ymir's mystery. She has no allegiances, and she only cares about Krista. All she cares about is being wanted by someone.
I'm looking forward to the reveal about Reiner & Bertolt. Whoever it is they're serving has declared war of annihilation on humans.
I guess it's not difficult to survive as humans outside the walls since Bertolt, Annie, Reiner, Ymir, and many other people could do so for a long time.
May 18, 2023 12:26 PM
Nov 2019
Very nice episode with a lot of hints for the attentive and the inquisitive.
Seeing it now for the third or fourth time and without subtitles, also after playing Attack on Quest and Aot VR by Slavka and others, I noticed a small problem with the animation and sound design though, that I have to nitpick on. While using ODM gear and talking they aren't shooting and retracting the hooks nearly often enough, especially compared to the speed the background moves at. The wires would have to be hundreds of meters long and they would need enormous upward gas thrust to be able to move like that. I get the budget limitations and that the shooting sounds would interfere with the dialog but they could be a bit muffled and I can't help wanting one of my most favorite anime to be perfect.

Edit: If I'm already nitpicking like this, I will also say that the sounds from shooting the smoke signals should probably not be audible, otherwise Eren and Ymir would have noticed them.
lordJahooMay 18, 2023 12:57 PM
May 24, 2023 8:01 PM
Apr 2021
BetaMaleUltra said:
deadass I just realized that one of my managers at work looks quite a lot like Ymir's titan form

...also maybe there was some subtext I missed, but I'm surprised that Ymir actually returned to Reiner and Bertholdt after they let her go to get Christa; couldn't she have easily just betrayed them and stayed with the scouts? Did she think Christa might perhaps be safer going with Reiner and Bertholdt?
Damn, I was gonna ask for her @ but then you said her titan form :(

According to a reddit user...
cloudamorMay 24, 2023 8:10 PM
Jun 6, 2023 2:10 PM

Sep 2022
Genuinely HATE the WORTHLESS characters like Ymir & Bertolt who gets more screen time than they deserve and fail to push a plot of 12-episode season of a Very Important Show, spit on their graves.

EDIT: This Comment is added while I made my 1st rewatch of the Whole Series!!!
So now I can sympathize with Reiner and Ymir (not goanna tell the same for 'Betot'). I really love Ymir's character, she is the most selfless character throughout the series If I'm not forgetting anyone more worthy, maybe Sasha. Historia's got nothing on them.
ANIk_003Dec 20, 2023 9:54 AM
Jun 28, 2023 3:28 PM
Sep 2022
pointless episode
Jul 6, 2023 2:46 PM
Jan 2023
Ymir's past is just sad, and the people worshiping her were pretty creepy. Glad we got to see that though, definitely explains a lot about her being rather mysterious. What really surprised me is that she was outside the wall for 60 years and she didn't age in her human form at all.

Eren trying to hit Reiner without arms like that was rather funny to watch.
Jul 23, 2023 8:58 PM
Sep 2022
So Ymir lived in beginning of the life out the walls? But how did she become a titan? That people just injected her with the "titan serum"? Why make her a titan?

Was that in the wall sect? But how? It was said that they have a lot of privileges, they wouldn't be surrendered by that "cops".

And if she got kicked out of the walls, she came back in the year 485, right? But he attacked Reiner and Berthold, and they are the titans that break the wall.

I think this show is shuffled on purpose just to confuse the people.
Jul 26, 2023 10:10 AM

Dec 2022
Very good episode
Aug 17, 2023 7:26 PM
Jan 2023
What did you think of this episode?
Aug 23, 2023 8:45 AM
Nov 2022
¿No les resulta familiar esa rubia de cabello corto que tiene una profunda devoción a Ymir -sama? y no solo eso, el señor Springer (el papá de Connie) se parece mucho al titán al que se enfrentó Sasha (aunque eso no lo podría notar ningún personaje dentro de la serie con excepción de Sasha y de la niña que ella salvó, quizás)

Doesn't that short-haired blonde who has a deep devotion to Ymir-sama look familiar to you? and not only that, Mr. Springer (Connie's dad) looks a lot like the titan that Sasha faced (although no character in the series could notice that except Sasha and the girl she saved, maybe)
Oct 7, 2023 8:51 AM
May 2023
Review en ESP/ENG

Interesting episode, it seems that Ymir comes from a distant place outside the walls, where they used her as a false idol that had real blood and worse still, she herself followed the lie, that is why she went and goes after Crista, because they are similar. Rainer and Bertholdt search for one or several coordinates, without having any idea what it is or what they are. The exploration troops and more are approaching, we will see what happens

Interesante episodio, parece que Ymir viene de un lugar lejano fuera de las murallas, donde la utilizaron de falso idolo que tenia sangre real y aun peor ella misma siguio la mentira por eso fue y va detras de Crista, por que se parecen. Rainer y Bertholdt busca una o unas coordenadas, ni idea que sea o para sean. Las tropas de exploracion y mas cada vez estan mas cerca, veremos que sucede
Nov 30, 2023 5:48 PM
Nov 2023
Damn, I still feel bad about Connie
Mar 11, 4:36 PM
Jul 2023
Oh, poor Ymir
- What a crappy life. She was forced to be a false god since her childhood, and then roamed the earth for 60 years as a Titan
- I’m sure this will all make sense by like next season, this show has a way of making things work way later. For example, how did she turn back into a human? How was she turned into one in the first place?
- Could it be that all titans used to be humans?
Jun 21, 1:55 AM
Dec 2019
Man, I really do not give a single shit about Ymir's story. Yeah yeah what a sad pointless life but I just don't care at all. She's some loser with a pathetic crush on the only person that was actually nice to her and she's just some nice girl that's nice to everyone. Ymir was just born a few centuries too early to be some gross smelly dumbass school shooter. Get a life, kid.

Looking back on it, I think the Ymir stuff must've been why I never watched any seasons after this. I read some of the manga and found the release schedule and size of the chapters made it too hard to follow without constantly doing homework. But it was more interesting than the Ymir drama.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - May 6, 2017

933 by AvenSawanami »»
Jun 24, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Apr 28, 2017

345 by AvenSawanami »»
Jun 24, 7:11 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Jun 9, 2017

526 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 21, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - May 27, 2017

330 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 21, 1:36 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Jun 15, 2017

691 by Snuuupie »»
Jun 18, 2:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.