Forum Settings
Forums

Webtoon/comic News, Announcements and Discussion

New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 14, 2018 9:01 PM

Apr 2018
Yep, oftentimes, the struggle to make a living is real for authors who are not fortunate enough to get picked up by the big brand names like Naver or Daum or Lezhin.

I would love to! Just need a little time because classes are killing me atm haha
{ Beautiful Cards! } | GFX by Bunnyama
Oct 15, 2018 11:12 AM

May 2013
Leneyn said:

I would love to! Just need a little time because classes are killing me atm haha

no need to hurry take ur time.

Oct 16, 2018 9:38 PM

Feb 2015
also thanks for getting this to reach the second page. at last lol
Oct 19, 2018 11:48 PM

Feb 2015
omg BIG FACTS from @h4ff back on the old ToG thread
(https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=592709&show=150)

I have seen these threads for years. Heck I even posted many times in this thread. Let me tell you why these people will never allow webtoons on their site.

There is a “core” group here on myanimelist. Those are the people who spend more of their life on this site then anyone else. There are at least a 100 of them and most of them have at least 5000 post here. It’s not hard to see why these people got to be moderators

But the funny part is this: there is a reason why they spend so much time on this forum. They have absolutely nothing better to do, and they are OBSESSED with anime and manga. Many of them have watched like more than 500 days of anime, this means they have spent a large amount of their life on Japanese culture. What does this mean? THEY ARE MOST LIKELY WEEABOO’S.

These people only care about themselves and their little weeaboo club and of course anything Japanese. Let me repeat, they absolutely do not care about the hundreds of thousands of users on myanimelist.

And for them these new growing Korean comics are a real problem. Why? Because they see it as a threat to their life styles. Manga and anime are getting worse, Years now the quality of these works are getting lower and lower. Every season its full of either sex (ecchi) or needless violence at least 90% of them. It’s called click bait (a cheap way to get peoples attention). Japanese are very good in making money as cheap as possible. It’s the reason why manga are black and white. Why most of the times animations in anime are bad or repeated.
But on the other hand we have Korea, Almost all their works that are published have great quality, especially Line webtoon. Most of the time it’s in color and even though there are millions of users their top works get easily far above a 9 average on Line.

Because of their obvious better quality I predict in time Manhwa’s and animations will become more popular then the anime and manga(internationally). Heck there are already tens of milions of readers on Line alone. And it’s only growing.

So the moderators and admins coming from this group (probably almost all of them) do everything they can to slow the popularity increase of webtoons. They don’t allow separate manhwa sections and they don’t allow most of the manhwa in their database. You can make every solid argument in the world but it doesn’t matter: they just don’t want it, end of discussion. Read the whole thread, in every post on their part they dont counter argue. Because they don’t care in the first place or they just don’t want more manhwa in their database.

There are two outcomes. Either they allow webtoons because it will eventually be more popular then manga. And maintain their status as most popular anime and manga site. Or some other site will come around who does things exactly the same as myanimelist, but include webtoons and maybe even some other content. On that day myanimelist will die.
Oct 20, 2018 1:16 AM

Apr 2018
I had a hunch about it for a long time. Glad to see others sense it in the air too.
Oct 20, 2018 2:03 AM
Jul 2018
Wow makes sense lol. Wonder when the revolution is coming.
Oct 20, 2018 8:40 AM

Dec 2013

not gonna deny that this thought has crossed my mind multiple times already
it this just doenst feel like a major reason to me. There has to be a more reasonable answer to their stubornness between the 2 extremes(hating webtoons to just blindly following the system and not changing it)
i feel like it would be difficult to add so many webtoons and the manga database modswould have a hard time, so they dont do it out of laziness
Oct 20, 2018 11:33 AM

Feb 2015
yes that would mean more work, but remember, that thread started in 2013, and users were volunteering to help out and mods just said "No!" and when they asked why, they just replied "....WE SAID NO" and that was it. so even if they are lazy, why aren't they allowing volunteers in?

i have never said MAL is stupid and i still won't. they can't be that braindead to not see the difference of book printing in japan compared to china and korea. they're just ignoring it. and the more they ignore, the more the stories of webtoon grow, which means they can always rely on the "There's too many stories!!!!!11" excuse. the only way we can destroy this argument is if volunteers are allowed whic they don't.

in addition, many webtoon are being added to the database and have to get rejected over and over again over the years. over a stupid aged rule. it would be better to change the rules just to relieve them of their work as well.

i still have no doubts the rules will be changed eventually, but that doesn't mean i will stop fighting these mods giving lazy reasons to the innocents that appear on the manga forum from time to time.
Oct 20, 2018 1:49 PM

Feb 2015
i'm sorry but it so freaking dumb to claim "but we'll have to add all these stories!!!111!!" when anime planet, anilist, baka updates etc have caught up very nicely and are doing fine. and you pride yourself on the massive database you have, and these smaller ones can add webtoon just fine yet you can't? literally, i would be satisfied if the mods came out and said "We don't care" rather than these stupid af excuses that have moon crater holes in them.
Oct 20, 2018 11:39 PM

Feb 2015
bruh...i think i just found a way to get comico webtoon in the DB...

okay so, what MAL needs is proof that the company that published online publishes physical books as well, right? to make them "reputable" or whatever.
so, i was going through more info to write down for tribe x, when i find out on baka updates that comico, the site that published tribe x, also publishes physical books as well.

so i believe this means we can put any webtoon having to deal with comico in the DB.

EDIT: omg you guys...look at this as well

if line is connected to comico, that also means that they qualify as a company who publishes books since they half own it!
TomDayOct 20, 2018 11:42 PM
Oct 21, 2018 4:28 AM

Apr 2018
The Plight of Amateur Webtoon Authors

As an example, let’s follow Black Haze and its author Yongyong’s journey.

Black Haze began as an amateur work on Naver’s (Amateur) Challenge section in March 2012. In March 2014, s/he was offered a contract to draw Black Haze as a professional paid author at a brand new publishing platform, TTale (read: Tee-Tale). S/he happily worked on Black Haze until April 2015 as a professional webtoon author.

Barely a year passed when authors banded up and went on a strike in unison, including Black Haze, in April 2015. Readers wondered why. It was because TTale had been missing payments. The authors were struggling to make a living because their paychecks were not coming.

TTale posted an apology and explanation within the month. They claimed that when their last manager left the company, he did not pass on the work to the new manager. They had mishaps and miscommunication between authors, the hosting server, and the leadership. Another issue was that the authors were bound to an illegal contract that surrendered the right to publish their works to TTale only. I do not know the specifics of this contract, but TTale also claimed that these were signed with the old manager who left. They said that no legal issues have risen from authors who were signed after a company leadership change.

The authors were dismayed. Their platform they depended on was stabbing them in their backs. They left it behind and began to search for a better trustable publisher. Most of them, including Black Haze, moved to another new publisher that was growing rapidly—Foxtoon. However, in November 2017, the 17 authors again raised an issue with the publisher. (I am unaware exactly what initiated this trouble, so I will write only the consequences.) The authors announced that they could not bring themselves to sign an unfair contract. An interview with a former Foxtoon producer revealed that Foxtoon demanded that authors’ raised pay be returned because the producer did not have the green light to give higher pay. The producer says that because the company would not pay on time, he had to personally make apologetic calls to the authors and go into debt to pay them. He also notes that he was often pressured to immediately fire authors who were not making significant profit. Additionally, Foxtoon argued that the old contract was incorrect, so the authors must sign their newly written one. After inquiring about the specifics of this contract with lawyers, they discovered that it had immoral rules such as a monopoly effective for months even after the authors left the publisher.
The above section is based on this article.

When the authors announced that they would not renew their contract with Foxtoon, the company reacted irrationally. It released pay-per-view chapters for free without negotiations with their authors. It deleted comments or chapters that mentioned the strike. As the situation escalated, the Webtoon Association intervened for the authors’ favor, going into negotiations with Foxtoon and giving legal aid to the authors trying to reclaim rights to their own work.

Yongyong updated his/her readers in August 2018, apologetic for the long hiatus. Although he/she has gone through so much, the love for own creations, the love for dedicated readers, is still there. In the world out there, amateur authors not fortunate enough to be picked up by big brand names of Naver, Daum, and Lezhin struggle to find a place for their work. I only hope there is light for them and their creations ahead.
Oct 21, 2018 9:49 AM

Feb 2015
thank you for your explanation! although i swear i remember black haze being on daum as well, i guess that must have been line. hm.

the good thing about these scumbag capitalistic webtoon fakers is that it made me notice something even since lezhin was exposed. webtoon companies that are true rise quickly, meanwhile ones that are dishonest quickly get stopped before awful turns to worse. that's good because that proves how transparent the webtoon industry is and less assholes can get away with their crap.
Oct 21, 2018 10:06 AM

Dec 2017
@TomDay I'm sure in a few years, the question of adding webtoons to the DB will arise as it becomes more popular. Hopefully they do realize the importance of adding them and not do a shitty job.
Oct 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Feb 2015
-Funland- said:
@TomDay I'm sure in a few years, the question of adding webtoons to the DB will arise as it becomes more popular. Hopefully they do realize the importance of adding them and not do a shitty job.

lol, if you would have been here long you would know that i am the most optimistic of the whole club on the matter. yes, it will happen eventually. but until then, i'm just finding ways to get around the rules - within the rules.
Oct 21, 2018 11:47 AM

Apr 2018
TomDay said:
thank you for your explanation! although i swear i remember black haze being on daum as well, i guess that must have been line. hm.

the good thing about these scumbag capitalistic webtoon fakers is that it made me notice something even since lezhin was exposed. webtoon companies that are true rise quickly, meanwhile ones that are dishonest quickly get stopped before awful turns to worse. that's good because that proves how transparent the webtoon industry is and less assholes can get away with their crap.

Np, I had fun writing it. It's possible s/he uploaded on both Naver and Daum of course. I just couldn't find sources with my googling skillz :p

Yep, the dishonest ones don't last long, better if they stop leeching off of authors sooner than later :(
Oct 22, 2018 10:15 AM

Feb 2015

IMPORTANT ARTICLE, MUST READ: Naver has an animation studio which was founded in 2017

LIFE IS COMIC!, or LICO for short, is a Korean Animation/Webtoon studio created back in 2017 by NAVER. (what the fcking fck omg) LICO is responsible for several popular webtoons, and as of late, the YouTube anime series ‘A Day Before Us’. A Day Before Us is a sweet shoujo series following four main characters; Yeo Reum, Ha Eun, Wook, and Yeon Woo. In the interview down below, LICO discusses their thoughts on the series and the animation industry in South Korea, as well as a few go-to dating tips!

Hello! Thank you for doing this interview with us. As a start, please say hello to OneHallyu and the readers of OH! Blog, and then introduce yourselves.
Hello, we are LIFE IS COMIC! LICO. We at LICO test and produce various digital contents focusing mainly on animation, videos, and images. We also take lead in the minute by minute changing trends, and we are a professional contents company that is the lead in its market.

We started with the short animation ‘A Day Before Us’, and from now on, we plan to produce even better contents for our viewers. From now on, we ask for lots of support and interest. (Homepage)

Now, when making an anime, there are many different roles that take part in this process. In your production team, how many of you are there, and what is it that you do?
Our production team is made up of about 20 people. The different jobs they participate in are planning, setting, production, animation, sound, and editing.

Well, I have watched ‘A Day Before Us’ myself, and I really enjoyed it!. The drawings are so pretty, so I wanted to ask: How long have you been drawing?
Thank you for watching and enjoying ‘A Day Before Us’. ‘A Day Before Us’ is a romantic story about the dating lives of 4 young men and women, told through an emotional color. Just like its title, it tells about the day before the thrilling moment that you start dating, and I think that the charm of ‘A Day Before Us’ is its watercolor style of painting.

We started publishing in October 2017 through the Korean platform Naver Webtoon, and currently, since March 2018 through a YouTube channel, we started to release them for global users.

People who are good at drawing have many different career options that they can choose from. Some become graphic designers, and some draw webtoons, but when did you first get that ambition to make an anime?
We at LICO are not just people who draw. You could say that we are people that have gathered together to create interesting contents. With a shift in direction, we have the capability to make movies, dramas, comics, or even work as illustrators or graphic designers.

As far as I know, the Korean anime world hasn’t fully developed. Was it difficult getting into the Korean anime scene? Were there people around you who negatively thought, “Oh this isn’t going to work?”
To be honest, Korean Animation is really developing at a high scale. But it is true that it is not as well known as much as America or Japan. A large part of that is it’s not being financially supported by the Korean government like K-pop and other entertainment are.

Until animation contents are produced, lots of manpower and skill is required, so not losing ambition is the hardest and most difficult part. We at LICO will try our best and work hard to show all the new possibilities of Korean Animation.

When you saw the amount of views, the many comments left, and reactions from the subscribers of your channel, how did it make you feel?
We were surprised because there was a bigger response than we expected there to be. There were many positive opinions and much support, but there were also some negative opinions. Because all opinions help us to make better works, we are carefully and deeply observing them. No matter whatever is said, we gratefully accept them.

‘A Day Before Us’ Season 2 started to air on YouTube not too long ago. If this season has good reactions, do you plan on releasing another season, or maybe an entirely new show?
Of course. We have already finished talks in relation to season 3, and we are currently modifying the actual production plans and its details. Also, we are preparing to make various contents under the theme of A Day Before. We ask that you stay subscribed to our YouTube and give it lots of love and attention.

The length of each episode of ‘A Day Before Us’ is relatively short. Out of curiosity, do you have plans to produce longer episodes, or are you satisfied with the current length of the episodes?
Firstly, we tried to match our running time with a mobile setting. We probably will keep the base series of A Day Before Us to fit with the current format of “Snack Culture,” but we are considering extending through other concepts and various themes.

I’m just asking this because I’m curious, but the personalities of your characters are really cute and bright! What were the inspirations for these character’s bubbly personalities?
We gained a lot of ideas for the characters of A Day Before Us from our friends and our personal stories. Everyone has at least once felt butterflies, loved, had a one-sided love. That is exactly the inspiration we felt. So don’t you think that the characters would come out as bright and cute as we are? ^^

***This article has been edited and is not featured in its full version on this post. Click the link to read the full article***

@Ridleys LOOK YOUR DREAM IS COMING TRUE

ALSO, PLEASE READ AND BUMP THIS THREAD . i saw this thread earlier this year and when i saw that line had its own animation studio i quickly looked it up again, only to find someone had beaten me to the punch. SO much more information than i last saw. PLEASE read up and PLEASE share on the anime forum if you would like.

IT'S HAPPENING FELLAS!!!!!!
TomDayOct 22, 2018 3:57 PM
Oct 22, 2018 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
oMFG HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS BEFORE
/ded
thank you so much for sharing this omg, my day has been made. @TomDay
Oct 22, 2018 10:57 AM

Feb 2015
PLEASE SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS AS WELL! IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN OMGGGGG 5YRS 5+YRS OF WAITING FINALLY PAYS OFF!!!

honestly, i'm infuriated i hadn't come across this sooner. the article is in april and i had specifically let google know to notify me of any webtoon news as i had been researching for YEARS. i'm so happy i decided to look into webtoon animation today regardless though.
TomDayOct 22, 2018 11:01 AM
Oct 22, 2018 11:10 AM

May 2013
So far Noblesse is the only manhwa that got animated right @TomDay

Oct 22, 2018 11:38 AM

Dec 2013
i dont get the hype...
they only animated one series
and i dont think i saw any plans for other series
Oct 22, 2018 1:21 PM

Feb 2015
KalfKaneda said:
So far Noblesse is the only manhwa that got animated right @TomDay

yes but that wasn't by a korean company. it was just a marketing tactic.

ironace said:
i dont get the hype...
they only animated one series
and i dont think i saw any plans for other series

you'll understand the hype soon enough. expect big things to happen in 2019-2020+

i'm going to the anime forum and see what happens. afterwards i'm going to dig deep and see WHAT more to bring to lico.
Oct 22, 2018 2:05 PM

Feb 2015
@ironace here are some plans in their future, listed on their website. a line webtoon adaptation is confirmed.

EDIT: they also have linked in profile (https://www.linkedin.com/company/lico-corp) which is specifically used for hiring people for jobs. moreover, other companies associated with lico for animation (AKA people who looked at them as well as lico) are huge named businesses, such as prod. IG, gainax and toei animation. none of these companies have made only one series and shut down so i don't think lico will only be used for one story.

in addition they say right in their interview
"We started with the short animation ‘A Day Before Us’, and from now on, we plan to produce even better contents for our viewers"

did you even read anything i posted?? lol
TomDayOct 22, 2018 2:50 PM
Oct 22, 2018 3:07 PM

Apr 2018
OH WHAT WOW COOOOOL
Oct 22, 2018 3:56 PM

Feb 2015
Leneyn said:
OH WHAT WOW COOOOOL

YES ikr?!? be sure to sub to their IG and YT!
-----
interestingly, i realised that line had already started animating before the much more popular option of k drama adaptions.

according to this chart line had branched off within itself and made an animation studio last year, while their k-drama studio announcement was done a few months ago. seems like they are preparing for big stuff! #AENI2019
TomDayOct 23, 2018 2:15 PM
Oct 22, 2018 7:41 PM

Apr 2018
Although statistically there have been more kdrama and movie adaptations than anime adaptations of webtoons...it's good to hope for the future right? >_<

Imo maybe they were too taken aback by the lack of popularity for anime adaptations. Several kdrama adaptations did well and some movies outright topped sales and won best honors at prestegious annual awards like Blue Dragon Film Awards and Dae Jong Film Awards (there are only 3 *film* award ceremonies in South Korea). But the anime ones did not do that well ;-; they have yet to make a GOOD one and I think they should keep trying.
LeneynOct 22, 2018 7:56 PM
Oct 22, 2018 8:16 PM

Feb 2015
kdrama is definitely one of the biggest superpowers of korea, thanks to kpop and the push of it thanks to the government. but as the interview said (and even beforehand when i provided proof), even though it's not as successful as US and japanese animation, they still a lots on money and profit from their own right. even for lico's admittance that aeni isn't as popular, they were still surprised by the amount of attention their first video had gotten. this can mean that aeni can still have a fair chance of popularity if it even surprised the natives who know more about the industry than we do.

and as this article explains , anime is also scrambling to remain in relevance, with horrible reboots of classics or just pumping out the same thing over and over, webtoon's stories would easily overtake them pretty quickly by adaptions since they're fresh and unique. maybe if anime had the quality it had years ago this wouldn't be a thing, but now industry has a gap, and a huge one at that. of course, that article is in favour of chinese stories, but there's no reason to not include aeni as well.
Oct 22, 2018 8:44 PM

Apr 2018
Ohh I see what you're saying by gap, nice analysis!
Oct 22, 2018 9:46 PM

Feb 2015
i try my best (ง'̀-'́)ง
Oct 22, 2018 11:00 PM

Dec 2013
I did the thoroughly read it I guess
But yaaayyyy
I'm still not on the hype train but if they deliever I swear I'll be the most hyped of u all
Oct 22, 2018 11:18 PM

Feb 2015
if they do (more like when) there will be much more activity here as well (ง'̀-'́)ง

we betta spruce up on our admin skills (ง'̀-'́)ง

awaiting more news lico (ง'̀-'́)ง (ง'̀-'́)ง
Oct 31, 2018 3:33 PM

Feb 2015

Webtoon video game adaptions could happen with Kakao's recent partnering

(for those of you who may have forgotten/don't know, kakao is also daum since daum merged with it 4yrs ago)
Nine companies have agreed to develop apps for Kakao’s new Klaytn blockchain system. The public platform was developed by Ground X, Kakao’s blockchain subsidiary. It was offered on Oct. 8 on a test basis, or testnet. Kakao, Korea’s largest messenger app company, announced the introduction on Monday.

Wemade Tree, a subsidiary of game developer Wemade Entertainment, is one of the Klatyn partners. Wemade said it wants to use blockchain because it allows for smooth and speedy operations. Wemade’s games, including its popular Legend of Mir massively multiplayer online role-playing games (Mmorpg) series, have over 200 million accumulated users.

(to read the rest of company collaborations, press the link)
Nov 1, 2018 3:29 AM

Dec 2013
dam if it was any console or mc game i would be happy, but i think they are making mobile games?
>_>
Nov 1, 2018 10:17 AM

Feb 2015
yeah seems like unfortunately. maybe an MMO will come out considering one of the developers makes RPGMMOs.

btw, what webtoon would be great for a video game and/or MMO?
Nov 2, 2018 1:02 AM

Dec 2013
TOG, Gosu,Unordirnary are the ones i can think of right now..maybe kubera?
Nov 3, 2018 11:54 PM

Apr 2018
Tower of God, Noblesse, God of High School, Natural Born Idiots, Welcome to the Convenience Store, etc. already have mobile RPG games. Lookism is also under development as a mobile game by YD Development, the mobile game company that pretty much kickstarted the game adaptation trend for webtoons with their success on God of High School.

But yeah, I wish they would make actual full-fledged video games out of them. There are so many possibilities I wish they would rather invest in besides mobile games :<

The specifics that I didn't know before I searched came from this article.
Nov 4, 2018 2:30 AM

Dec 2013
is lookism an action series? I have no idea what type of game that will come out as. I have only heard one thing about lookism, that everyone in the series is a d-bag
Nov 4, 2018 9:01 AM

Apr 2018
I have no idea I don't read it either haha
Nov 4, 2018 6:57 PM

Feb 2015
yeah i know all those stories that have had games. i play the noblesse game as a matter of fact. the english game came out last year but was cancelled soon after. i just am not a fan of mobile games. lookism is a comedy series btw
Nov 6, 2018 11:18 AM

Feb 2015
hi guys, so i found some interesting news recently.

there's this webtoon called welcome to the convenience store/wara store/Wara Pyunuijum  that came out in 2008. it got so popular (it has 600 eps in total) it had an aeni adaptation and had two whole seasons. it originally aired online on line webtoon but it got so popular it eventually reached TV. anyway, that isn't all. checking the bakaupdates page and including what the wiki told me, it also got a book adaptation because of it's massive popularity (and as some of you may know, only extremely popular webtoon get physical). and if you check the publisher (for books), it's line itself. so i will approach a mod on this and see what they say.

also, i'm sorry but i have good news and bad news. the bad news is that you can't watch the animation on anime sites (or almost anywhere as it is not popular on the internet at all. the good news is that there is only one site that you can watch it on, which is amazon prime (idk why or how they got their hands on such an obscure aeni). my mother has had it for years now so that was a lifesaver for me. even if you don't have prime there's still a free trial you can take advantage of if you want to watch. there's a way to download their videos, however, so i will try to DL and upload them for you guys. anyway that's almost it. i have another small post of something else coming up later.
Nov 6, 2018 1:31 PM

Feb 2015
OMG I JUST FOUND THIS OUT (this isn't the small thing i was talking about in my previous post lol)
@ironace THIS COULD BE OUR SAVING GRACE

US Line's HOC (Head of content) fired suddenly

Previously MTV Comics Executive Editor. for the last few years Tom Akel has been Head of Content of LINE Webtoon, the Korean free digital comic book publisher and distributor.

This has included commissioning new and original work from the likes of Stan Lee, Warren Ellis, Colleen Doran, Marc Silvestri, Katie Cook, Seth Kushner, Dean Haspiel and more, as well as publishing a manga adaptation of Star Wars, all along the Webtoon format of vertical scrolling comic books. They have also sponsored major creative events at comic conventions, such as Artists Alley at New York Comic Con and hosted social events at San Diego Comic-Con, with Akel prominent at all, become the US-facing face of the publisher. For these reasons, and more, he made it to a prominent position in last year’s Top 100 Power List.

Well, not anymore. Tom Akel tells Bleeding Cool that he is no longer EIC of the publisher and that this ‘wasn’t by choice, and no explanation given.’ He tells me that ‘I’m supremely proud of the past 3 years and look forward to what’s next.’

As for the LINE Webtoon comic that he writes on behalf of Stan Lee, Backchannel, he confirms he’ll still be writing that. But what happens now for Tom – and indeed for LINE Webtoon – is still unknown.

(what he looks like)

me and my brother predicted this ever since the beginning of the year, and if you have been in this thread for a while you would know that i said before that line was prepping to give US line its much deserved spanking, and i also said the beginning of line's downfall was in 2015, which fits perfectly within the claimed three years tom said he had as HOC.

i can only imagine what happened when line checked back to see what the US was doing. they did A LOT these past two years, making two studios of two different forms of entertainment (the k-drama studio and aeni), celebrating their 5yr anniversary , and let's not forget that they invested billions of their own money into penetration of other countries like japan and china - the US included. so now that the year is almost done and they've done a swell job in asia they come back to check on the US and see some american pandering diversity BS and almost NONE of their content getting translated and promoted. who wouldn't fire tom on the spot. he had a sustainable job before line so i'm not worried he won't be wisked up and paid to do something somewhere else. but what he did to this site was awful and if you don't do your job correctly you get axed. that simple.

just when i was two seconds off from deleting line entirely lmao. can't wait to see what will happen next!
Nov 6, 2018 2:05 PM

Dec 2013
lol
ya know i didnt ecpect this but there was a sort of change on line facebook as well
You know how i said that tog/noblesse werent getting any attention on facebook and only newer ones were?
well just yesterday the line facebook posted something tog related
I was surprised. But looking at this news i can say them may have been related
Nov 6, 2018 11:18 PM

Feb 2015
lol fr people still use facebook? i went on the app and there's a huge difference. almost everything promoted on the first page is korean. line's already working on reworking things lmao

gosh 2019 can't come fast enough
Nov 7, 2018 10:34 AM

Dec 2013
TomDay said:
lol fr people still use facebook? i went on the app and there's a huge difference. almost everything promoted on the first page is korean. line's already working on reworking things lmao

gosh 2019 can't come fast enough

wdym
people are addicted to facebook
i only use it to share memes and remind people i exist

Btw i am trying out the necromancer webtoon from the app you shared(tory something)
its quite beautiful
And lets see where webtoons is headed
Nov 7, 2018 12:45 PM

Feb 2015
2019-2020 are the years me and my brother have declared "the year of webtoon and aeni" (maybe donghua and chinese c-webtoon as well). but it's not just that i'm excited for 2019. square enix has declared 2019 to be the year they release information about the FF7 remake and i'm probably more stoked for that than webtoon.

i'm mainly on YT and whenever anyone wants to promote their social media they always just say follow their twitter and instagram. also i even saw a YTer tell the person he was filming with who suggested a FB acc tell her "We don't say that anymore."

also if you want memes, i highly suggest going on IG. i live for memes on there :P a good amount of FB memes are stolen from IG anyway.
Nov 7, 2018 12:55 PM

Feb 2015
this is the small thing i said i wanted to post.

Japanese Webtoon rivaled by Korean Webtoon in Japan
Korean information technology (IT) companies that operate their own mobile platforms have been competing against each other in the Japanese webtoon market. Although Japan is called a "cartoon kingdom," its transition from books and magazines to digital was relatively slow, and Korean IT companies found an opportunity to compete there, possibly leading the market valued at US$408 million (460 billion won).*

Naver's Japanese subsidiary, LINE Corp., is the first Korean IT company to enter the Japanese webtoon market. LINE launched its application (app) called " LINE Manga (cartoons)” in April 2013, which was downloaded over 20 million times. The number of monthly active users (MAU) has not been disclosed yet, but it has been ranked No. 1 in cartoons and book sales in the Japanese Google and Apple’s app markets since 2015. LINE has invested 87.8 billion won in July after separating the LINE Manga business division as a subsidiary called “LINE Digital Frontier.” Since then, LINE Manga business division has done aggressive marketing, such as launching advertisements on Japanese main TV channels and organizing a variety of events.

Kakao Japan, the Japanese subsidiary of Kakao Coro, introduced "Piccoma," a Japanese manga subscription service in April 2016, three years after the launch of LINE Manga. The service but quickly took the No. 2 position in the sales rank by introducing new business models, one of which allows a user who pays for a chapter to read the next one for free if they just wait 24 hours. In particular, Piccoma received investments totaling 100 billion won in April from its parent company Kakao and institutional investors, and Piccoma has used the funds for even more aggressive marketing. In July, the company also launched a separate app called “Piccoma TV,” which provides webtoon in the form of video as a mobile content.

NHN Entertainment Japan established a platform called “Comico” in October 2013, and its MAU is around 2 million. In terms of sales at the two app stores, Comico is ranked between 5th to 10th.

*460bill won = 46 bill yen
Nov 8, 2018 11:39 AM

Feb 2015
line's animated trailer of the webtoon "letters of the year" (rough translation)

reading the comments and the fans' response, this webtoon is very successful. so i searched up what i could and found out that it holds a 9.99 rating, which reading the wikia is very difficult to get. not only that, there's going to be a musical and physical book coming next year.

the fans are asking for a full animation adaptation but most don't want it in a movie, they want it as a "10 parter" (a reoccurring word). looking at the link to the webtoon itself the story is 10 eps, so they probably mean as a TV show with 10 eps.

seeing the popularity and success of this story, it can add to the reason why naver fired tom because this isn't on the US site even though it's in huge demand by fans of adaptions.
TomDayNov 15, 2018 11:09 AM
Nov 14, 2018 3:32 AM

Dec 2013
@tomday
that thing looks nice, know any thing about the webtoon apart from its rating? is it finished?
Nov 15, 2018 11:08 AM

Feb 2015
@ironace SFLR i was sick :(

yes it's finished. it only has 10 eps.
--------
line's lico studio updated their IG story but it's in korean! the most i know is that they're talking about line's site, i'll SS and see if anyone can trans.
Nov 19, 2018 8:38 AM

May 2015
I'm really not surprised their animation looks good. Korea has the talent. Some of you may know this, but both The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra were animated in Korea (under american direction). The only real problem is the lack of investissors.
Nov 19, 2018 9:58 AM

Feb 2015
Turtles_Hunter said:
I'm really not surprised their animation looks good. Korea has the talent. Some of you may know this, but both The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra were animated in Korea (under american direction). The only real problem is the lack of investissors.

korra was animated by studio mir, but they didn't do avatar. although you're still in the right koreans animated both. mir has an original pilot of a show they want to get picked up that was released recently.

it's no secret that korea animates for the US, but now studios are coming out of their shell at last.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Webtoon of the Month (December 2023)

Nacrenee - Dec 31, 2023

1 by rileydragneel »»
Dec 31, 2023 3:56 PM

Poll: » Webtoon of the Months (October 2023)

B-Kiddo - Oct 27, 2023

6 by B-Kiddo »»
Oct 30, 2023 10:12 AM

» Nomination for Webtoon of several months :)

B-Kiddo - Oct 18, 2023

13 by B-Kiddo »»
Oct 27, 2023 2:49 AM

» L.A.G is the GOAT

skynet5c - Oct 25, 2023

0 by skynet5c »»
Oct 25, 2023 2:06 PM

Poll: » Webtoon of the Month July 2023

B-Kiddo - Jun 28, 2023

2 by nightjasmine »»
Jun 28, 2023 3:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.