Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 24, 2018 12:09 PM

May 2016

I am going to stop here because I really do get the impression you are not really reading what I am saying.

But, just to re-iterate, I at no point said 'anime has [or is] one style'. I (multiple times) said that anime is A style of animation - meaning anime is itself is a style; (or) animation is the form, and anime is type of animation which itself has multiple styles of its own (think of it as concentric circles, or Russian dolls, I don’t know). Feel free to break it down from there (like down to individual studio are artist style etc.).

I also, quite clearly, outlined the difference between style and form. The reason I speculated on anime as a 'new form' as an interesting idea (I never said entirely, again, please read what I wrote) is because, as media forms (i.e film, literature, theatre) merge and change over time, you get some interesting creations. Think, for example, when (with the advent of the printing press), literature and painted art became free to merge over time to become (you guessed it) comic strips. For sure there were many antecedents before this happened, but a recognisably new form of media was nonetheless born.

Technically limitless as in it has many techniques available to it (again, please read that example I gave before-hand regarding rotoscoping etc.). The trick of getting my arguments is to read them from start to finish and not isolate individual phrases (or, you know, misread them entirely).

Japan is a western nation (you're a fool if you think otherwise). Experts are experts. You are not an expert (neither am I for that matter). So why diss them? That being said, I recommend Tsugata Nobayuki and Mori Yasuji as interesting starting points when learning more about anime, amongst a literal ton of other -- or just read the memoirs of anime creators such as Kitiyama Seitaro or Seo Mitsuyo. Or are you suggesting Japan does not have a robust enough cadre of (academic) experts on film and media to, you know, help people understand what anime is?

Anyways, I could go on, but I am not saying anything more on this topic after this, so, to conclude (again) and to keep this on-topic (I apologise for the detour): my point was that including Japan in the definition of anime is not integral to the definition of anime. That is to say (and tbh you even admitted it yourself), you can appreciate anime without ever needing to know it was (or it to of been) 'made' in Japan. I mean little of anime is actually made in Japan nowadays anyways. A combination of Japan outsourcing (close to 90%) of its anime production overseas, as well as the domestic industries of Korea, China, Taiwan etc. kind of sustain the anime industry more than the Japans own domestic production—they (Japan) tend to limit their animators to drawing key-frames etc.. So why cling onto Japan? For sure the industry would be radically different, for a time, if Japan just disappeared one day. But more the reason to let anime be universal, nothing really stopping it...well aside from dogmatic pedantry I guess.
Peace
Apr 24, 2018 12:11 PM
Jan 2018
I don't count it as anime unless it's made by a Japanese studio in Japanese, but you can't deny the influence anime has had on western animation.
Anime is trash and so am I
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Sep 19

39 by logopolis »»
19 minutes ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024?

thewiru - Yesterday

44 by AAdira »»
27 minutes ago

» Overrated characters in the top 30? ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Jan 4, 2018

199 by Ba-Cii10 »»
35 minutes ago

» What anime studio has the best track record for consistent bangers?

Reshiram_IX - 11 hours ago

28 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
35 minutes ago

» What is your first impression of LOLI?

Jackieee12312312 - 57 minutes ago

6 by SimplyBrazen »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.