Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 10 11 [12]
Jan 15, 2023 10:27 PM

Jun 2022
Im going to sound like a fanboy but I absolutely love this film, my expectations were really low since I saw a lot of hate comments about the rebuilds but they are actually making me like the Evangelion world even more. Maybe it focus too much on action instead of the psicological/philosophy part, but its still really entertaining. 

The visuals and SFX are amazing, and the animation is very fluid and impressive (the Asuka entrance and the part which the three EVA's were running through the whole city to stop the angel were completely wonderful and exciting).

About the characters, I think they did a great job, specially with Rei. They all look much more expressive and wwhat's more, we can see a more intimate facet about the characters. Loved the call between Asuka and Misato, it helps u understand how much Asuka suffers mentally despite her strong character. Furthermore, Rei is the most benefited character with this film in my opinion, she got huge character development. I liked a lot the interactions between Shinji and her and how much they care about each other. It was really cute how she tried to learn to cook for Shinji and the dinner she prepared to try to bring Shinji and his father back together. The only complain I have about this film is that it doesn't develop Mari as much as I would have liked; didn't feel her like an Evangelion character. Despite that, her final fight was insane, loved her wild character. Hope I can see more of her in the next films.

The ending was brilliant and exciting with beautiful scenes. Those final scenes between Shinji and Rei got me on the edge of my seat during all the time.

I will give this film a 9.5~10/10. Let's see if the next movies are as good as this one. (Sorry if my english is not that good, hope u can understand my review^^).

Apr 3, 2023 7:01 AM
Jan 2020
its interesting the way it rehashes some of the last episodes of the original evangelion.
Apr 15, 2023 6:44 PM
Apr 2021
It was the best thing so far
Apr 18, 2023 5:22 PM

May 2018
While I still prefer the original series because it's a much more mystique, dark and realistic approach on human condition, I love some of the changes the movie decided to do, especially about Shinji and Rei; the relationship between them gets a lot of attention and their personalities changed a lot, to the point where you can see a lot more humanity in Rei's character and much more confidence and determination in Shinji. If anything, I love both versions of them. Also, I think the rebuilds gives more attention to Gendo Ikari as well, which is great. Asuka gets sidetracked which is a shame, but her character still shines. The way the story shifts is also very nice and it's refreshing to see Evangelion in a new light. Maybe one of the few complaints I have about the rebuilds in general is Mari's character; she's a mystery to me and I don't really understand how exactly she fits in the story, or rather who the fuck is she... That being said I don't really hate her. The 10th Angel battle and the moment where Shinji decides to save Rei is simply breathtaking, the awakening of Evangelion and the attempt of the third impact gave me chills, production wise this movie is amazing and it's nice to see Evangelion in a more fast-paced and straightforward way. As a fan, I feel served.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 26, 2023 12:47 PM
Jul 2020
Very nice film, loved it.
Jun 21, 2023 5:30 AM
Apr 2023
Not like the hysteria and depression in the old EVA, the atmosphere become a little bit relaxed with a few scenes about love, while some parts become crueller for Shinji. It's regretful that what Kaji said to Shinji was not added. The final section is fantastic, I may appreciate it full mark.
Jul 9, 2023 6:55 PM
Jun 2023
HOLY SHIT IT WAS SO FUCKING GOOD
Jul 23, 2023 11:55 PM
Oct 2021
Good start for the rebuilds. Added a lot that I liked
Aug 2, 2023 5:57 AM

Feb 2018
Just want to say, is Asuka death? omaygod?????
Love those scene so muchh, i mean Ayanami and Shinji in the last
Sep 25, 2023 6:58 PM

Mar 2016
The 2nd film of the Evangelion Re:Build series. The true turning point where even events that occured in the original series now have notable differences to them. Probably more than the first film though this can have the feeling of rush at certain points as key character development points from the original series got removed, however this does mean that the original series still stands on it's own and isn't completely replaced as the characters are developed in different ways - for better or worse depending on the version you prefer.

A key difference that we get with the film over the series episodes that cover the same events, we have a large cutdown on the number of angel fights, and those that did make it from the series have their fights altered.
The introduction to the film starts off with the mysterious Mari who helps bring a better light to the international scale of NERV and Seele as she faces off against the 3rd Angel in Unit-05, which while interesting in it's design of using treads instead of legs sadly gets sacrificed. However, this sacrifice was highighted to be planned by Gendou to get one over on Seele, so maybe that gets highlighted in the next film.

Second fight is 7th angel. In the series this was the twin one which worked as a great way to show a trial of teamwork for Shinji and Asuka, while also having a moment of showing how in sync he already is with Rei. For Re:Build it was changed out for a clock-looking angel to introduce Asuka in an impressive sky drop sequence - also note that the original 6th angel (underwater whale) from the series was the first to be completely removed in Re:Build. I feel this worked as a better introduction to Asuka and gave a bit more weight to her ego nature as she is able to solo the angel pretty effortlessly in a mere 2 strikes, unlike in the series where the victory was reliant on Shinji and Asuka being in the plug together and hitting that 100% sync. This unfortunately proceeds to highlight a slight issue with the fim runtime. At this point Asuka and Shinji have only just met and in the next scene where Asuka has moved in, Misato is saying that they need to improve their teamwork...even though they've not done a single teamwork fight/exercise at this point.

8th angel is the 10th from the series with the original 8th and 9th being more removals, however the changes to how it plays out means it takes on part of the roles the 9th did for the 3 EVA pilots. It plays out pretty much the same as the series, with a beautiful series of landscape sprint sequences as the EVAs run for the interception. Especially the part where Unit-01 is given raised platforms and a turning slope by Misato. In the original the interception simply had all 3 EVAs use their AT fields to stop the Angel. In Re:Build, they added more technique and teamwork. Shinji obstructed the angel while Asuka was tasked with the kill...but circumstances put the confident piot on edge and requires Rei to hold the core in place for her to be able to get the target. This is used to highlight the part about Asuka feeling she has to be able to do everything alone and not require help. This is the part I feel does a lot better for Asuka in terms of her character for the rest of the film. Sure she still has that bitch attitude, but they actually have her come to terms with being in a team now and others don't just let her get her way. There are 3 main scenes that I feel solidify the improved development Asuka gets in Re:Build over NGE;
1st: The bed sharing scene. Instead of some weird case of going back to the wrong bed in the middle of the night, Asuka actually wants to be close to someone else and admits that. She then proceeds to do something that was sorely needed in NGE...she TALKED to Shinji. Actual normal conversation with questions about him and trying to get a bit of understanding about him. Yeah later on she still calls him stupid, but it's much greater progress much earlier on.
2nd: The elevator with Rei. Much like the scene with Shinji, this scene was massively improved by actual conversation...along with cutting down the stressfuly awkward still shot :P Asuka was trying to understand why Rei was how she was and calling her out on some of her actions, with Rei standing firm. This scene played out changes to the development of both Asuka and Rei in Re:Build. They cut out the stupid rant of Asuka feeling inferior to Shinji (likely because the timing of this scene comes in earlier than NGE), and Rei doesn't allow Asuka to slap her. The difference in the bandaids on their hands in this shot works as a visual cue to the motivation and the effort they're putting in - more than just the homecooking they came from.
3rd: Replacing Toji as the Unit-03 test pilot. Toji being the 4th child in NGE came off as a short-lived throwaway moment with nothing else happening after the Unit-03 incident. Now I haven't looked up any discussion regarding this major change since watching the film, but I think having Asuka as the pilot gave it a lot more weight. It was another moment that was used to bring the more international scale to the plot with Unit-02 having to be placed in storage due to the 'Vatican Agreement'. It also likely served as a replacement for the 15th angel's psychic attack on Asuka as she gets sucked into the depths of the Unit-03 entry plug.

Overall there weren't too many changes to how the fight against Unit-03 played out. Due to the previous events, it was ony Unit-01 to intercept (removing the questionable easy take outs of Rei and Asuka in NGE) with Shinji still initially hesitant to engage due to knowing Asuka was in the entry plug - the hesitancy felt better than not knowing the pilot in NGE. While it still had the questionable choice of Shinji not fighting back even though he wanted to avoid killing Asuka, it was better played out with at least some initial resistance. Then the new visual for the dummy system comes in and manges be even more cruel to Shinji. Instead of just a straight control takeover, the system physically locks his hands in place and blocks his view so he can't even see what is happening - making the follow up change of Unit-01 crushing the entry plug in it's mouth rather than fist all the more brutal.
I really liked how the follow-up to the fight played out. In NGE Unit-01 was already docked in the loading bay with Shinji threatening to go ham on the base, whereas in Re:Build we see he's already broken through some of the base and is standing on top of the main building with a better let out of his anger before he's knocked out.

The finale. We get a straight skip to a variation of NGE's 14th angel to serve as Re:Build's 10th. Just like it's counterpart, it proves to be beyond anything NERV has faced so far - ignoring all attacks and instantly breaking through to the geo-front. Since Asuka is out of action, Mari has somehow manages to get Unit-02 out of storage and performs the role from NGE of intercepting the angel with a mass of weaponry. When that fails, we get see a brand new power of the Evangelions which effectively seems to be controlled berserker mode - guess 3.0 will explain how Mari knows about it. Despite this powerful form, Unit-02 is still knocked to the side where Mari encounters Shinji. Rei then takes to the field and tries to take out the angel with a point-blank missile (as opposed to the N2 mine in NGE), which requires Mari to jump back in to take out the AT field.
This the point where the events change drastically from NGE. Rei's attack fais and Unit-00 is left helpless and Unit-02 half destroyed. The angel then proceeds to eat and absorb both Unit-00 and Rei, leading to a physical change similar looking to End of Eva. This is what spurs Shinji into running back and demanding to pilot Unit-01 again. He wants to save Rei. I feel that Re:Build's version of the following events play out better than NGE (mainly because NGE failed to really follow up on what happens). As in NGE, Unit-01 gets knocked back and runs out of auxillary power. Now instead of another berserker moment, Unit-01 is instead reactivated by Shinji's pure desire to save Rei (admittedly a bit like SAO).
On managing to pull Rei out of the Angel and into Unit-01, we are then treated to a classic case of Evangelion left-field twist. While we were aware Gendou wanted Shinji and Rei to get closer, there was not even a hint of a clue that Shinji and Rei being in Unit-01 together would cause it's 'awakening'. On top of that, just like NGE we knew Gendou wanted Unit-01 to awaken, there was also no suggestion that doing so would trigger the Third Impact - since that would seem incredibly counterproductive, so hopefully 3.0 clears some of that up. Just like with 1.0 though, we were treated to a nice cliffhanger courtesy of Kaworu, Unit-06 and what I'm guessing is the Spear of Longinus. Skewered Unit-01 and seemingly interrupted the sequence of the Third Impact starting. Although looking at the synopsis of 3.0 apparently the Third Impact did happen so......really confused on that part :S

Overall, despite the runtime limitations that shortened or cut some of the quieter parts that I felt were important character development points from NGE, Re:Build once again managed to keep the plot moving with both action sequences and calmer moments. Those calmer moments being the completely original conservation-aquarium visit and slice of life style morning sequences - important as a way of highlighting that life is still ongoing between the angel cashes. Completely original (or at least mostly) version of events after this, so will be interesting to see how it goes.
Nov 6, 2023 12:29 PM

Nov 2014
Unimaginably retarded mound of total garbage. It makes me sick seeing them appropriate the iconic imagery of the original series in service of this shit, attempting to hijack the viewer's emotional attachment to the show and reroute it into this nonsense, it's shameless and pathetic. Really feel sorry for the clueless newcomers to Eva who get advised by idiots to watch these movies along with the original works, immediately irreparably contaminating their impression of those original masterpieces. No one should watch the Rebuilds, they should be left to fall into total obscurity where they belong.
OneMoreFinalNov 6, 2023 12:38 PM
Dec 22, 2023 10:56 PM
Oct 2023
i literally dont know
Jan 19, 8:59 PM

Dec 2022
this movie was waaaaaaay more amazing than the previous 1.11 with everything that was changed/added from the series, at least double the factor of amazing.
also glad they kept the elevator scene albeit shortened it
and of course beautiful Misato =]
Apr 7, 4:15 PM

May 2015
Meh. It was fine up until the Unit-03 testing divergence. The original was way more impactful in that regard. No one actually expected us to genuinely worry about Asuka? Of course she's alive, what a shocker. I understand the need to change the plot in order to incorporate Mari but I can't bring myself to care about the new character for now. The rest was just some typical shounen action, eh, whatever.

I really wanted to like these movies, some minor changes were fine by me, the exposition and a broader look on the world itself was an improvement. Honestly, in the original everything seemed too cut-off from the global scale, so it was good to see more of the day-to-day world.

What's the big significance of giving all the female pilots a -NAMI surname anyway?

So far manga remains my favourite version of the events, I guess, but let's see what the rest of the movies would offer. Even though I have a feeling it might go downhill from here, I'm still open to seeing the whole picture of this.
May 15, 5:15 AM
Apr 2023
Really fun movie. Love that they went differently compared to the anime, action was really good (especially the ending), more of Rei emotions are always great, really love the music in the short scene of the city waking up and seeing Evangelion in HD of course is great.
Pages (12) « First ... « 10 11 [12]

More topics from this board

» Stop after this movie if you dont want to be disappointed

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

40 by Zero00phantom »»
Apr 2, 4:44 PM

» Mari being an insert for Hideaki’s wife

hanekawastiddi - Sep 3, 2023

6 by certainmiracle »»
Sep 4, 2023 12:00 PM

» Why They've shown Rei Nippels but didn't show Asuka Nippels?

LoliSenpai0x - Aug 6, 2020

9 by Jun_Rei »»
Feb 28, 2023 1:38 PM

» Shinji is gigachad

samthestan - Nov 26, 2021

6 by JohnLivelyMan »»
Apr 12, 2022 10:56 PM

» End of Evangelion or rebuild movie?

Requiemofthewind - Nov 7, 2021

8 by animeforlife808 »»
Nov 9, 2021 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.