Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 30, 2009 4:51 PM

Jul 2009
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little;
but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying

vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein,
that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light
into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear ist the fear of the unknown.

H.P. Lovecraft
Jul 30, 2009 4:51 PM

Sep 2007
windy said:
As for the rest of the thread, I really enjoyed reading ukonkivi's, Zedrane's, etc posts. Thank you for having that discussion without spoilers; it helped me to understand some things and was just fun to read. :)

Your welcome. I remember getting spoiled about some major scenes from game 3 / 4 so I really try and avoid saying them. Even with such ignorance of Battler's insane awesomeness. (looking at YOU Ukonkivi) :P

Hey, Ukonkivi got anything else you think doesn't make sense? I bet we can get this thread up to 500 posts easy. Hehehe.

Shoga said:
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little;
but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying

Do you keep a whole bunch of quotes in your back pocket?
Jul 30, 2009 5:07 PM

Jul 2009

Zedrane said:
windy said:
As for the rest of the thread, I really enjoyed reading ukonkivi's, Zedrane's, etc posts. Thank you for having that discussion without spoilers; it helped me to understand some things and was just fun to read. :)

Your welcome. I remember getting spoiled about some major scenes from game 3 / 4 so I really try and avoid saying them. Even with such ignorance of Battler's insane awesomeness. (looking at YOU Ukonkivi) :P

Hey, Ukonkivi got anything else you think doesn't make sense? I bet we can get this thread up to 500 posts easy. Hehehe.

Shoga said:

Oh this are just some riddles from the first Antifantasy / Antimystery author wich name you read in my signature.
By the way i realy enjoy your little battle, too.

That is what the writers of such tales are traying to gain.
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear ist the fear of the unknown.

H.P. Lovecraft
Jul 30, 2009 5:08 PM

Aug 2008
Zedrane said:

Okay you can stop watching Umineko right now. It will never make sense until the end when it all comes together. :P The whole fun of the series is to try and make sense of it until the answers. I've read up to episode 4 and it makes even less sense then than it does now.

I was referring to the theories (and therefore the answers) when I said that. The explanations need to work from episode one on for it to be right. Otherwise it's just deceptive (or bad) writing/explanation. The theory we apply has to work everywhere in the story, and that's why I can't see Battler as right, because he is cherry picking what's real and what's important, when all the pieces have to fit together.

You just don't get Battler.... I don't believe that at this point Battler really does not believe that Beatrice does actually not exist at all. The whole point is that if he accepts her she could do whatever she wanted. She is obviously evil so he's calling her bluff that it was all magic. He is fighting back by denying the witch because he thinks there is more going on then she's letting on and he won't let her do as she pleases.

That's my problem. Why couldn't he just say that? There is an arrogance, and immaturity about him that I just can't get behind. Battler just doesn't want to be wrong, so he acts like a petulant child.
MarthX said:
For anyone that believes strongly that a witch was behind it, let me say a theory that could turn everything around. It was already mentioned but it seems many have overlooked it.

This isn't a spoiler, just a theory

What proof do you have that 6 people died in the first twilight? Nanjo? So you automatically rule out the possibility that Nanjo could be lying? He could be an accomplice you know.

Because you see the bodies? Who's to say that those are all real corpses? There could be a doll made to look like one put along the real ones. Unless you actually touch and examine the body, you wouldn't be able to tell one is fake.

And the most interesting one. Only Kanon and Hideyoshi saw Shannon's corpse because it was partially hidden behind some things. What if Hideyoshi and Kanon were lying? Then there'd be no proof whatsoever that Shannon died.

If someone was lying and there weren't 6 people dead there then that extra person could have hidden themself and killed the others when they separated. This theory smashes the illusion that it was only possible for a 19th person, Witch

As for the golden butterflies, that's not important. The main point is explaining how the murders could have been accomplished with human means.

And this is what I mean when I say "everything has to make sense everywhere." The explanation you give MarthX is really good up until the point that you just totally toss away the butterflies. Everything has to make sense everywhere. But I do agree that the servants and Kinzo aren't telling everything that they could/should tell. I just don't trust any of them.
Jul 30, 2009 5:16 PM

Sep 2007
noteDhero said:
That's my problem. Why couldn't he just say that? There is an arrogance, and immaturity about him that I just can't get behind. Battler just doesn't want to be wrong, so he acts like a petulant child.
He is s.t.u.b.b.o.r.n. and born with a natural magic resistance.
And what you suggest would make even less sense.
Battler: "Okay, I'll admit it witches and magic totally exist. Now it's time to say they don't and deny their existence."
Beatrice: "O_o" "Are you feeling okay Battler?"

noteDhero said:
And this is what I mean when I say "everything has to make sense everywhere." The explanation you give MarthX is really good up until the point that you just totally toss away the butterflies. Everything has to make sense everywhere. But I do agree that the servants and Kinzo aren't telling everything that they could/should tell. I just don't trust any of them.
How do the butterflies prove Beatrice is the culprit at all?
Jul 30, 2009 5:19 PM

Jun 2009
ehmmm.... i dont get it, not only the whole 2nd part.
I got some ideas after reading all the posts here, but... why do they want to prove if the murder was done by human hands or witches'?
i seem to have lost their motivation; for an outsider, eg a detective, this might be interesting to look into, but as a participant... i mean, if you are dead, well, it is possible u want to know the murderer to revenge, but this whole witch stuff, i just dont get it.... :-(

ps: if battler and the rest were already killed as well, as everybody is saying, then what is there to prove? since they most likely know the murderer already....(typical detective story: only the victim knows the truth) or were they all killed in darkness? ^_^

pss: there are a lot more things i dont get in this thread than in the show itself, but i guess thats cause everyone except me here read the novel already :-)

psss: just have to ask, what is so great about that witch Bernkastel? (totally dont get it....)
snowgreenJul 30, 2009 5:25 PM
Jul 30, 2009 5:27 PM

Apr 2007
sarahwest said:
I got some ideas after reading all the posts here, but... why do they want to prove if the murder was done by human hands or witches'?
i seem to have lost their motivation; for an outsider, eg a detective, this might be interesting to look into, but as a participant... i mean, if you are dead, well, it is possible u want to know the murderer to revenge, but this whole witch stuff, i just dont get it.... :-(

ps: if battler and the rest were already killed as well, as everybody is saying, then what is there to prove? since they most likely know the murderer already....(typical detective story: only the victim knows the truth) or were they all killed in darkness? ^_^

After they "died" they were "beckoned to the golden land". Battler denied Beatrice's existence and she returned them to their former state. Now for the reason; Beatrice is 1 thousand years old witch. Living for one thousand years sure is boring. So to avoid the boredom what she is going to do is play "chess" with Battler. Each one moves his pieces in order to corner the enemy and convince him that he is correct.
You have to keep in mind that if Battler loses he will become her eternal "furniture" and if she loses she will deny her own existence.
sarahwest said:

psss: just have to ask, what is so great about that witch Bernkastel? (totally dont get it....)

She is familiar from a different, similar, story by the same author.

Jul 30, 2009 5:29 PM
Sep 2008
Do you know why horror novels are, well, scary? It's because when you put down the book and attempt to sleep, where your brain recalls events happening in the novel, and you begin seeing things as you sleep.

Possibly the same applies here.
Afterall, letters that appear out of nowhere. Murders that are impossible. Seemingly foolproof closed rooms. Not to mention the story is contained on a closed circle.

Now, with all of this happening, properly staying sane is difficult. Your mind begins to hallucinate, begin falsely over analyzing things.

The butterflies, may actually just be a few flashlights pointed at the wall somewhere. A person who happens to be in the same situation as the Ushiromiya family will overreact, especially them all knowing the Witch Beatrice appears in the form of golden butterflies.

As for how Battler managing to shoot the butterflies, obviously he didn't in the first place. He shoots a butterfly, and like magic, it dissipates, and multiplies. That was how his mind was interpreting things. What he saw may have been completely different to what Jessica, George, and Maria saw.
Jul 30, 2009 5:31 PM

Jul 2009
sarahwest said:

I know what you mean. Since we have a situation like this:

But like other mentioned befor the murdering it self is isn't important.

It is realy is about realety vs surealety

Or Battler maybe just don't want to be Beatrice love slave in after life. ;=)

H.P. Lovecraft
Jul 30, 2009 5:33 PM
Feb 2009
The Beatrice scene was trippy.

What if these witches are just called witches and are part of an organization??? That might work.

I didn't get how Shannon and Kanon were revived, unless they never were completely done in.
Jul 30, 2009 5:35 PM

Jun 2009
Tsunami said:
sarahwest said:

She is familiar from a different, similar, story by the same author.
Jul 30, 2009 5:38 PM

Jul 2009
_Me_ said:

What if these witches are just called witches and are part of an organization??? That might work.

I didn't get how Shannon and Kanon were revived, unless they never were completely done in.

I think this would be to much like Higurashi and the writer has said that Higurashi fans come maybe on a mislead.

H.P. Lovecraft
Jul 30, 2009 5:39 PM

May 2008
Fredrika Benkastel.
フルデリカ
フルデ リカ
ふるで りか
古手 梨花

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jul 30, 2009 5:40 PM

Apr 2007
_Me_ said:

Read the final lines of the letter. Your lost love will be revived (according to the Epitaph), after you will reach the golden land.
Geroge who lost Shannon.
Jessica who lost Kanon.

Jul 30, 2009 5:43 PM

Aug 2008
Zedrane said:
He is s.t.u.b.b.o.r.n. and born with a natural magic resistance.
And what you suggest would make even less sense.
Battler: "Okay, I'll admit it witches and magic totally exist. Now it's time to say they don't and deny their existence."
Beatrice: "O_o" "Are you feeling okay Battler?"

How do the butterflies prove Beatrice is the culprit at all?

To me, there is a difference in saying, "Ok, there is a witch, but there is still some funny business going on...explain!" and saying "Nope, I don't believe my dead eyes, you aren't real, none of this is real!" Maybe I'm weird for thinking that way.

As for the butterflies, they don't prove that she is a culprit, but they do prove (at least to me) that there is a supernatural element to everything. I think I said it before: if Battler hadn't seen and interacted with the butterflies, then I wouldn't give it as much stake as I am now, but since Battler is being presented as the logical, straight-forward narrator, I accept the butterflies, and therefore Beatrice, as real.

And as I have also said, maybe Beatrice isn't the direct cause of all the murders, but I think that viewers who take up that chase are falling for a red-herring that is a decoy to some of the real questions.

@Tsunami
Didn't it say that all will be revived?
Jul 30, 2009 5:50 PM

Jun 2007
Yes, Battler is stubborn, and very often refuses to believe what is shown to him. And in all honestly there is nothing wrong with calling him a stubborn fool at this point. In fact, in the VN, the narrative of the Tea Party often used adjectives such as "stubborn" and "foolish" whenever it described him.

As for the butterflies. I can't give any explanation regarding them. Actually, I can't even remember them appearing in the VN duuring that scene with Battler and the gun. I remember him shooting the portrait but I don't remember the butterflies themselves. I think I might go back and take a look at the scene in the VN one more time.
Jul 30, 2009 6:02 PM

Jun 2007
The scene was a bit different in the visual novel

There are no butterflies in the final part. After they find Natsuhi dead with a hole in her forehead, Battler takes the gun and does his "I'm not going to die here." rant. Maria says give it up, it's already over. Beatrice has won and that guns are useless against her. Then Maria runs up to someone.. that someone described as the person in the portrait. Battler is completely in disbelief, saying that there's no possible way that they exist. That person then starts laughing as the clock strikes midnight. Battler then realizes that 0:00 is another way of saying 24:00, realizing that "time has run out" The voice continues laughing and the screen goes to black.

The changes.
No butterflies in the final scene and Battler doesn't shoot the gun. The butterflies are shown in earlier scenes though but never when Battler was around. There's nothing to suggest that he saw them.
Jul 30, 2009 6:11 PM

Jun 2007
Yeah, I just reread the scene and there were no butterflies. Which brings me to this point:
I don't really think its possible for the VN readers to have a fair debate with the anime viewers. The sources we are siting our information from are different, even if one is an adaptation of the other.
Jul 30, 2009 6:16 PM
Nov 2007
You guys are right.
But, if I remember correctly, it looked like Battler was only looking at the portrait when he fired the gun. He didn't look away. I think he just shot that butterfly by mistake. It doesn't mean he saw them...
Well, there's always a possibility for this, even if it is slim.
Jul 30, 2009 6:19 PM

Aug 2008
So then I think the question now is, "Why were they added?"

Is it Studio Deen being stupid, or Studio Deen adding something more concrete as a hint?
Jul 30, 2009 6:25 PM
Mar 2008
Zedrane said:
Actually I re watched that scene and if you look closely Battler pulls the lever to eject the cartridge at the exact same time he pulls the hammer back. His arm moves in front of the lever so it's hard to see though.

Actually, he doesn't pull the lever. Regardless of whether or not you can see the hand on the lever, there is no bullet ejected. Compare to when he fires his second shot, a spent casing is ejected from the chamber and clinks on the ground.

Guess what that means. The bullet in the chamber of the gun that Natsuhi was holding... was live. That's not a suicide, that's foul play.

If she had killed herself, the bullet would have been spent, but Battler proves not a minute later it was live. That particular type of gun isn't semi-auto, meaning the casing isn't cleared and a new bullet chambered after the trigger is pulled. Not only that, there's no casing beside her body -- of course, how could there be?

Plus a shot at close range would have left burn marks around the entry wound, but Natsuhi's forehead is clean. The single gunshot that you heard was from a second gun.

This is all assuming someone did the research on how manual guns operate and general gunshot forensics, and that DEEN is smart enough to not shoot themselves in the foot by adding things in that weren't in the VN.

Edit: Regarding the butterflies near the end (I'm getting this info from a friend who's further into the game), it's implied in the VN that

Again, assuming DEEN aren't retarded.
PlatinumHawkeJul 30, 2009 6:29 PM
Jul 30, 2009 6:30 PM

May 2008
I've watched a couple of videos of the VN on youtube. Seems kind of simplistic.
I'd say it's more likely to be kind of canon if the manga also has them.

Jul 30, 2009 6:49 PM

Apr 2009
Rika, anyone?
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
Jul 30, 2009 6:54 PM

May 2008
Somnia said:

Had to.

Lawl.

So this is just weird...it's not another one of those natural time resets like in Hirurashi right? So basically Battler just refuses to believe and that's all it's going to take? I guess it wouldn't be interesting if he simply caved in like she wants.

But hey, he'll believe in her if she shows him a few magic tricks, right?

Jul 30, 2009 7:00 PM
Sep 2008
ukonkivi said:
I've watched a couple of videos of the VN on youtube. Seems kind of simplistic.
I'd say it's more likely to be kind of canon if the manga also has them.

Well, they are just Words + Pictures + Awesome Background Music.

Then again, there are the TIPS and Witch Hunt's Grimoire section.

I never understood why people... read visual novels through... youtube...

Buying/torrenting truly isnt that hard.
Jul 30, 2009 7:00 PM

May 2008
Evilyn said:
Rika, anyone?

ukonkivi said:
Fredrika Benkastel.
フルデリカ
フルデ リカ
ふるで りか
古手 梨花

z2000 said:
I never understood why people... read visual novels through... youtube...

Impantience. Took me a while to find a good torrent.
Broke as a joke. Yeah, it kind of is that hard.

But since it's so easy, why don't you get me a job?

Jul 30, 2009 7:13 PM

Sep 2007
ukonkivi said:

Maybe if you stopped posting all day and got a job.... *cough*31560posts*cough*

P.S. I know where you can download it if you want me to PM you.
DrZedJul 30, 2009 7:19 PM
Jul 30, 2009 7:16 PM

May 2008
I apply for jobs everyday.
But we're getting off topic...

Jul 30, 2009 7:20 PM
Sep 2008
ukonkivi said:

First get about $500 in whatever way.

Go on ebay, buy broken ps3's for 100~200. Fix them, sell them for $200+.

Fixing a ps3 should only take about 2-3 hours at the most.

Though, it doesn't have to be a ps3. Just buy something broken and easy to fix, and sell for higher. Or, just do some repair service.

Alternatively, beg. A homeless man can easily make one million dollars a year that way.

Definitely not real jobs, but you're still making decent money, and at your own pace.
Jul 30, 2009 7:23 PM

Sep 2007
z2000 said:

First get about $500 in whatever way.

Go on ebay, buy broken ps3's for 100~200. Fix them, sell them for $200+.

Fixing a ps3 should only take about 2-3 hours at the most.

Though, it doesn't have to be a ps3. Just buy something broken and easy to fix, and sell for higher. Or, just do some repair service.

Alternatively, beg. A homeless man can easily make one million dollars a year that way.

Definitely not real jobs, but you're still making decent money, and at your own pace.

Best. Post. Ever.

noteDhero said:
as for the butterflies, they don't prove that she is a culprit, but they do prove (at least to me) that there is a supernatural element to everything. I think I said it before: if Battler hadn't seen and interacted with the butterflies, then I wouldn't give it as much stake as I am now, but since Battler is being presented as the logical, straight-forward narrator, I accept the butterflies, and therefore Beatrice, as real.

And as I have also said, maybe Beatrice isn't the direct cause of all the murders, but I think that viewers who take up that chase are falling for a red-herring that is a decoy to some of the real questions.

Have I ever denied that there is a supernatural element? No, there is obviously a supernatural element. I do, however, believe that there is not a supernatural element in the murders of the ceremony to revive the witch.
DrZedJul 30, 2009 7:27 PM
Jul 30, 2009 7:30 PM

Jun 2007
The real question is when will Battler and Beatrice hook up ;)?

Some of the stuff could easily be explained by Battler being drugged from the start or taking LSD.
Jul 30, 2009 7:39 PM

Jan 2009
Well, I;m kinda of confused, but I was expecting to be after Higurashi. I'm sure this will all be explained.
Jul 30, 2009 8:37 PM

Aug 2008
In proving that the culprit is human, wouldn't he have to explain every piece of phenomena that has happened? I think he does have to explain the butterflies because they are so intrinsically related to Beatrice.
Jul 30, 2009 8:46 PM

Feb 2009
Battler and company have a lot of patience putting with Maria craps. I know if it was me I'll smack her so freaking hard she'll forget everything about witches!>.< I was rooting for Battler to shoot that rabid loli down.
Jul 30, 2009 8:55 PM

Dec 2008
I believe the culprit is human.
you are my master.
Jul 30, 2009 9:21 PM

Jan 2009
I think explaining all the magical things (butterflies included) is why Devil's Proof is invoked: The burden isn't really on Battler's shoulders to prove the really illogical things, but on Beatrice's.
Jul 30, 2009 9:28 PM

Aug 2008
Except he never challenged Beatrice to explain anything. He's claiming that it wasn't Beatrice, so he's the one with the burden of proof.
Jul 30, 2009 9:34 PM

Jan 2009
And I suppose that will be the point of the rest of the series... In between other stuff.

It's exactly what Battler said... He will "figure out all the tricks", "no mather how baffling it is, I will explain it with humans". So in time, we will see if he can back those words.

...Though all this trick talking reminds me of Mr. Satan...
Jul 30, 2009 9:36 PM

Sep 2007
Like I said.
So the butterfly thing is really a non-factor also.

Man, why all the Maria hate? The only character that's really an a@$&*$@ is Rosa.

*edit* Better?
DrZedJul 30, 2009 9:42 PM
Jul 30, 2009 9:39 PM

Jun 2007
The rules of the game will be explained later. There's no need to say it now.
Jul 30, 2009 9:41 PM

Jan 2009
That was a spoiler for the anime? Uh oh.
Jul 30, 2009 9:45 PM

Aug 2008
I'm glad that everytime there has been an accidental spoiler in this thread I happen to not come in time to catch it. Very lucky.
Jul 30, 2009 9:46 PM

Sep 2007
noteDhero said:
I'm glad that everytime there has been an accidental spoiler in this thread I happen to not come in time to catch it. Very lucky.

It wasn't much of a spoiler. Just a basic rule put in place during Battler's game of logic with Beatrice.

OmegaDenmad said:
That was a spoiler for the anime? Uh oh.

Do you, perhaps, see a problem with...
DrZedJul 30, 2009 9:51 PM
Jul 30, 2009 9:47 PM

Jan 2009

Seriously, I'm guessing those rules will be discussed by episode 7 of the anime? (Since next episode seems to be Battlerless from the trailer... just speculating here).

Also
Jul 30, 2009 9:49 PM

Aug 2008
Zedrane said:

It wasn't much of a spoiler. Just a basic rule put in place during Battler's game of logic with Beatrice.

No big deal. It's just what? The 3rd time it's happened. I've been very lucky lately...especially after stumbling on a few massive spoilers for other shows I'm watching.
Jul 30, 2009 9:52 PM

Jan 2009
Normally, people are already eager to reveal spoilers or discuss material that hasn't been adapted yet for any series. But this one being a Mystery series, it's even worse...

Still it wasn't a big one so no complains anyway lol.
Jul 30, 2009 9:52 PM

Sep 2007
noteDhero said:
Zedrane said:

No big deal. It's just what? The 3rd time it's happened. I've been very lucky lately...especially after stumbling on a few massive spoilers for other shows I'm watching.

Yeah, there are so many things easily spoiled in Umineko. The damned thing has more plots twists AND is more confusing than Code Geass R2. Beat that.
Jul 30, 2009 9:54 PM

Aug 2008
Ugh, I don't want to think about the atrocity that was R2.
Jul 30, 2009 9:55 PM

Sep 2007
Zedrane said:
noteDhero said:
Zedrane said:

Yeah, there are so many things easily spoiled in Umineko. The damned thing has more plots twists AND is more confusing than Code Geass R2. Beat that.

But it's well-written, giving it the one-up over Geass.
Jul 30, 2009 9:56 PM

Sep 2007
noteDhero said:
Ugh, I don't want to think about the atrocity that was R2.

Aaahahahahahahaahhaahaha it was so damn ridiculous! It was so ridiculous no one could ever take it seriously. After I got over not being able to take it seriously one tiny bit I actually found it to be quite entertaining, in a way. Season 1 was definitely much better though.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 14, 2009

169 by alenaphoenix »»
Sep 10, 10:42 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LunarEmerald - Sep 9, 2009

236 by alenaphoenix »»
Sep 9, 4:02 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Plate - Aug 19, 2009

338 by akuma-ka-sareta »»
Jul 23, 11:01 AM

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.